"Social Hackers" On The Rise

"Social Hackers" On The Rise

According to Trend Micro, an internet security firm, more than 40% of teens are "social hackers".

The idea of a hacker as being a solitary geek in their parents' basement has long been pushed to one side, but the new generation of hackers probably wouldn't know a shell script from a sea shell.

The "new" idea of "social hacking" is that many social details are on view via social networking sites such as Facebook. A competent social hacker can find information which tends to give away security question answers. So that rather than rummaging through dustbins for passwords, social hackers simply rely on their Google-Fu.

According to the survey undertaken by Trend Micro, thirty percent of 12 to 18 year olds have also been tempted to socially hack for money, and some have even been approached by cyber-criminals. (They're the one's carrying the hard drive marked Swag, by the way.)

The "social hackers" are still split by gender though. Boys are twice as likely to go for the profile assassination, while girls are three times more likely to go straight for the PayPal.

Rik Ferguson of Trend Micro said, "It's the online version of kids breaking into school to change their reports, it's just so much easier now."

It does sort of take the fun out of sneaking into school in the middle of the night, though. Allegedly.

(Image)

"social hacking"? whats next "social pirating"? i swear kids find new and innovative ways to commit crimes en masse.

Honestly, who has hacked someone's myspace in revenge?

To some people that is like social murder I regular a site where hacking is a big deal, because we are all big anime geeks there.

30%? That's a statistic the researcher made up. There is no way 30% of internet users under 18 are asked to hack someone.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that high number as well. That's almost one third - impossible.

sirdanrhodes:

Seriously? Who hasn't?

I am sure this research is flawed...

Kazturkey:
30%? That's a statistic the researcher made up. There is no way 30% of internet users under 18 are asked to hack someone.

He says 30% were TEMPTED to do it, which is a bit more believable.

Frankly, I'm surprised kids nowadays would posses enough logic to do such a task.

Lord_Ascendant:
"social hacking"? whats next "social pirating"? i swear kids find new and innovative ways to commit crimes en masse.

Isn't that just the pirate party.

Load of shit. That's all I can say. That entire study is completely worthless and will be forgotten within a week, if that long.

sirdanrhodes:

4chan?

MaxTheReaper:

sirdanrhodes:

4chan?

Nah, they do it for fun.

Every girl I know just loves to "hack" Bebo profiles. My sister actualy attempted to teach me how to fuck with Bebo and see deleted messages, but I was beyond uninterested.
I've never heard of someone trying to hack a PC or get someones Paypal, though. That must be one of the things you crazy americans do.

sirdanrhodes:

MaxTheReaper:

sirdanrhodes:

4chan?

Nah, they do it for fun.

Or if you hurt cats.
/b/tards love cats.

who actually inputs their real info into the net?

i mean ive heard all sort of crazy stories about students & even cops getting in trouble because of posting stuff on myspace/facebook/etc.. but i mean, seriously; what % of profile info is real? probably something like 3%

Captain_Caveman:
who actually inputs their real info into the net?

i mean ive heard all sort of crazy stories about students & even cops getting in trouble because of posting stuff on myspace/facebook/etc.. but i mean, seriously; what % of profile info is real? probably something like 3%

on facebook and such, probly 97% of the info is correct, a LOT of ppl put their real info in there

Lord_Ascendant:

actually "social engineering" is as older than cracking itself, it's been used by investigators and such for many years. it's probly the easiest way to get somoene's password, i've always said i can guess passwords in about 20 questions that is if they don't use password or variations there of for their password

Terrible pun... :P

sirdanrhodes:

Why bother? The fact that they have a myspace page is, to me, punishment enough...

Hankage:

sirdanrhodes:

Why bother? The fact that they have a myspace page is, to me, punishment enough...

Hahhaha

Innovation, Watson, innovation!

sirdanrhodes:

Some time back in high school, my friend did it to somebody's page who was kind of a dick to everybody. It was hilarious. Once he figured out what was going on, he sent out the most horribly punctuated bulletin I've ever seen in ALL CAPS in an attempt to sound threatening. Good times, those were.

sheic99:

Lord_Ascendant:

Isn't that just the pirate party.

I'd enojoy social pirating, if I was on a boat with T-PAIN.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.