Duke Nukem Forever Hits Major Milestone

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Duke Nukem Forever Hits Major Milestone

3D Realms' George Broussard says that development of the long-delayed Duke Nukem Forever hit a key milestone at the end of last week.

Oh, Duke Nukem Forever. Is there any greater running joke in the history of videogames? I submit that there is not. However, there might be a visible light at the end of the (very, very long) tunnel: 3D Realms boss and Duke Nukem co-creator George Broussard announced via Twitter that the team had at last reached an important step on finally getting DNF out the door:

Closing out a milestone this week. 71 more tasks to do and we started with probably 800-900. Been a good push. Next one starts Monday.

Well, if we go just by pure numbers, I guess this means that development on Duke Nukem Forever is about 85% complete. It's about time, too - Broussard's announcement isn't the only milestone that the long-delayed game will hit this month: On April 28th, it'll have been twelve years since Forever was initially announced. Back then, it was slated to use the Quake II engine. Really.

With this recent milestone and last month's announcement that Apogee would be searching for an actor to bring Duke to life, it's enough to make one think that the game might actually be coming out. Crazy talk, I know.

For all companies like Valve and Blizzard get criticized for taking eons to release games, they've got nothing on the true masters of "When It's Done (TM)." With such a tremendous development time, if Duke Nukem Forever does eventually come out, that thing better be the gaming equivalent of the freaking Mona Lisa.

(ClanBase)

"Duke Nukem Forever Hits Major Milestone"

Development starts?

Somethingfake:

Development starts?

No, concept arts have finally passed.

Given just how long it took them to get 730-830 tasks done, it should take them at least another two years to get this game anywhere near completion.

Hmmm.... by rights it should be the best game ever, on development time alone, some how I don't think it will be though.

AHAHHAAHAH! if this game doesn't kick serious ass (don't even mention bubblegum) it'll be an even bigger joke

Abedeus:

Somethingfake:

Development starts?

No they agreed to make a videogame

Going by the numbers listed there, assuming they had 800 "tasks" to start off with, we're still going to have to wait the better part of a year for the game to be released if they're consistent in the amount of work they get done and if they're not lying.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if this game ever gets released. It gets 3D Realms more publicity as vapourware than it ever would as an actual game, because I think we all know it's either going to be staggeringly amazing or utter crap. My money's on the second one.

Makes me wonder why this developer gets the money to developing a single game...

tasks 1-829: various textures. now it's sound effects for 830 (starting on monday) to 896.
897: weapons and balancing.
898: single- and multiplayer maps.
899: enemy AI.
900: game engine.

they still totally forgot about the box art, though, but that shouldn't delay the game any further than another month or two, once they're through with number 900.

Somethingfake:

Development starts?

Nope, the last programmer died of old age.
Duh-dum tush. I'll be here all weak.

odBilal:

Abedeus:

Somethingfake:

Development starts?

I really, don't care, the game will either be amazing or bad. If its a bad game, I don't think 3D realms will get another 12 years to waste money. IE: no more 3D realms.

odBilal:

Abedeus:

Somethingfake:

Development starts?

No, someone has decided it might be cool if they make a new Duke game.

I think that however good the game turns out if/when it's released, there's going to be a bittersweet feeling. After all, we won't be able to have the 'it's never coming out' jokes any more.

stinkychops:

Somethingfake:

Development starts?

Nope, the last programmer died of old age.
Duh-dum tush. I'll be here all weak.

i actually laughed at that. well done.

chishandfips:
I think that however good the game turns out if/when it's released, there's going to be a bittersweet feeling. After all, we won't be able to have the 'it's never coming out' jokes any more.

We can just save the 'it's never coming out' jokes for the DLC.

CantFaketheFunk:
With such a tremendous development time, if Duke Nukem Forever does eventually come out, that thing better be the gaming equivalent of the freaking Mona Lisa.

We all know that it would be better.

I hope there's an in-game reference to the long development time.

bodyklok:

odBilal:

Abedeus:

Somethingfake:

Development starts?

i think you first decide that your going to make a game and then decide that its going to be a duke nukem game
I WON [/thread]

[quote="CantFaketheFunk" post="7.107239.1777679"]Duke Nukem Forever Hits Major Milestone

Duke Nukem Forever does eventually come out, that thing better be the gaming equivalent of the freaking Mona Lisa./quote]

well, technically the first gaming Mona Lisa would be starcraft, this would be the second

Also, is it just me or is the chick in the background nude?

odBilal:

bodyklok:

odBilal:

Abedeus:

Somethingfake:

Development starts?

i think you first decide that your going to make a game and then decide that its going to be a duke nukem game
I WON [/thread]

Thats not how I'd do it but OK whatever.

toapat:
[quote="CantFaketheFunk" post="7.107239.1777679"]Duke Nukem Forever Hits Major Milestone

Duke Nukem Forever does eventually come out, that thing better be the gaming equivalent of the freaking Mona Lisa./quote]

well, technically the first gaming Mona Lisa would be starcraft, this would be the second

Also, is it just me or is the chick in the background nude?

She's wearing a thong.

toapat:

Hardly. I think its agreed Ico's gamins Mona Lisa.

Simply put, I don't believe it.

Abedeus:

Somethingfake:

Development starts?

No, concepts nearly finished ;)

CantFaketheFunk:
With such a tremendous development time, if Duke Nukem Forever does eventually come out, that thing better be the gaming equivalent of the freaking Mona Lisa.

Seriously... That game better blow our socks off.

I do hope the DNF team knows this. I'd really love to *NOT* see their remains in a case somewhere the day after release because someone got a little too angry.

Collector's edition comes with a video overview of the development cycle of the game.
10 dvd's filled with videos of bored guys doodling in a conference room!!!

I hope they put a little handwritten note in every copy asking them to excuse them for the delay.

HobbesMkii:
I hope there's an in-game reference to the long development time.

It better be bloody funny if they've spent 12 years thinking it up.

But the Mona Lisa inst that great...its the WORST! attraction of the Louvre...if you ever go to the Louvre to check the Mona Lisa get ready for MAXIMUM disapointment.

So you can grasp the notion...Think of a very small paiting that you can only see 3-4 meters away and that is not counting the 30 japanese/chinese tourists in front of you, taking hundreds of pictures with flash.

Not to mention its not even the real one. ^^

Pi_Fighter:
Given just how long it took them to get 730-830 tasks done, it should take them at least another two years to get this game anywhere near completion.

The last task is probably 'bugtesting'. So I'd say more than 2.

GnR dropped Chinese Democracy...Hollywod made a Watchmen movie...now DNF might actually hit the shelves. What else is there to mock for taking a long time to release?

What milestone is that?. 10000 stupid posts from Broussard without the game being out?.

Oh, how I remember his Elite Force "review"

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/finger.pl?id=119&time=20000921180607

That's year *2000*. Elite Force got a second game. Both were done in less than ONE FIFTH the time DNF has taken already (and no end in sight). Hell, thousands of games have been released since then. Not DNF. Guess the fact that they are playing and looking other developers over their shoulders must have something to do with it.

Why give publicity to them every time they say "hey, we did something!" or release an average screenshot?. Will we get "hey, only 30 milestones left!" in 2018?.

3DR is perhaps the only joke bigger than the PCGA.

odBilal:

bodyklok:

odBilal:

Abedeus:

Somethingfake:

Development starts?

I WON [/thread]

[thread]

Guy1:You know what would be cool? If we made a new Duke Nukem game!
Guy2:I don't know... should we really make a game at this juncture?
Guy3:It's risky, but we ARE a game company!

*After careful years of deliberation*

Guy Appointed to Arbitrate: So its finally decided! We've all agreed to make a video game!

[/thread]

Until the day I see it on the shelf, I'm sticking with the story that it's not only never coming out, but it's not actually in development whatsoever.

oliveira8:
But the Mona Lisa inst that great...its the WORST! attraction of the Louvre...if you ever go to the Louvre to check the Mona Lisa get ready for MAXIMUM disapointment.

So you can grasp the notion...Think of a very small paiting that you can only see 3-4 meters away and that is not counting the 30 japanese/chinese tourists in front of you, taking hundreds of pictures with flash.

Not to mention its not even the real one. ^^

It's good, and some of the technique is amazing, but the problem is that unless you have lived your life under a rock without any contact with the outside world, you have already seen thousands times in media. So seeing it doesn't feel so great, since it's so small too. I like it, but it's far from my favourites. And this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread...

How many people are developing this game? It's bound to be a disappointment(well, not to me, since I don't hold any expectations for it), since duke nukem has been covered by nostalgia, and the humor that felt awesome when you were ten is going to feel juvenile and stupid now.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here