Final Fantasy XIII Demo is Enormous

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Final Fantasy XIII Demo is Enormous

A recent tech analysis of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete and the accompanying demo of Final Fantasy XIII, has revealed that the trial demo alone weighs in at an astounding 5.09 GB

The analysis, which came from a Japanese blog, found that the bulk of the data was a result of two video files in the demo. An article detailing the blog: "Further analysis of the files in the demo show that there are two big movie files, one of which is 2.04GB (z016_ps3.wmp), and the second is 2.37GB (z000_ps3.wmp). This means that 4.41GB of the demo is just video."

This is troubling news for Xbox 360 owners as the demo is only an hour long, sure to create storage issues with the final game. Wikipedia says that the absolute maximum capacity for a double-sided, double-layer (meaning the disc would have to be flipped)DVD is approximately 17 GBs of information, as opposed to 50GB for a double layer Blu-ray disc. This obviously means that there will be a graphical discrepancy in the PS3 and 360 versions of the game unless the 360 ships with substantially more discs than ever seen before.

The enormous size also severely cripples the chances of the demo, in its current form at least, from finding its way to Xbox Live or PSN. Video compression could be a possible answer to trimming some of the size for the purposes of getting a demo out, though if such measures are taken with the 360 retail version, the internet is likely to collapse from the simultaneous gloating of PS3 fanboys worldwide.

Source: www.PS3News.com (Via N4G)

Good grief, why the heck are video file sizes so much larger on video game cinematics? That just seems crazy to me.(compared to regular HD full length movies.)

Most likely it has the intro cinematic which always is a long time in an FF and another one that may not even be game related (Story wise, it could be like an extended trailer placed after you go as far as you can in the demo sort of thing that shows snippits of the game etc)

Either way... It kinda looks like the 360 is getting a bit of a shaft on this game... However...

"Begun, The continuation of the Flame Wars have..."

So... who's gonna be the first to unlock all the extra debug content?

The race... is ON!

Well seeing as the PS3 players will have the finished product delayed due to microsoft PAYING for a simulatnious release.

to the millions (And billions) of Final Fantasy fans who want to enjoy FFXIII, their parents, their children, great uncle billy bob, crazy cat lady down the street, you better make sure it was god damn worth it for them to release it on the 360, or i'mma gonna buy up stock, shine that shit up real good, turn it sideways and shove it straight up each and every 360 owners candy asses.

If you can SMEEEEEEELLLLLL what Onmi... is cooking...

actually looking forward to this and FF XIII versus. i don't think it should be on 360 though, just doesn't feel right having an FF game on it. also like the guy above me has stated, it better be worth the delay just because your greedy microsoft.

I will donate to a fund if The Escapist will force Yahtzee to play this game

Indigo_Dingo:

He might be based in Australia, but we're in the US, and the Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.

:P

That's insane. Maybe the 360 version won't be in High-Definition?

CantFaketheFunk:

Indigo_Dingo:

He might be based in Australia, but we're in the US, and the Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.

Cmon he even boxed himself into it! he goes on and on about final fantasy but hasn't done a single game, make him back his claims up.

CantFaketheFunk:

Indigo_Dingo:

There's nothing about bribing certain unscrupulour roommates.....

Ghostshot08:
That's insane. Maybe the 360 version won't be in High-Definition?

At this rate it will probably be in XKCD Definition.

Actually, that would be awesome.

AM I the only one who is gonna point out that those cut scenes take up more data than a FUCKING STANDARD DEFINITION MOVIE! I mean honestly, the amount of data in the actual gameplay is akin to a 20 minute demo off of PSN or XBL. So... if we just go by how the data is looking, it seems like its gonna be 20 minutes of gameplay, and 40 minutes of cutscene. Hardly a fair demo of the game.

Honestly I wouldn't mind having 2 or 3 discs. Have you damn kiddies forgot the age of ps2 when a good JRPG would come in this huge doorstop size jewelcase and have sockets for FOUR discs?

TsunamiWombat:
Honestly I wouldn't mind having 2 or 3 discs. Have you damn kiddies forgot the age of ps2 when a good JRPG would come in this huge doorstop size jewelcase and have sockets for FOUR discs?

Now think it having sockets for 8 disks.

sneakypenguin:
Good grief, why the heck are video file sizes so much larger on video game cinematics? That just seems crazy to me.(compared to regular HD full length movies.)

* 12 hours into cutscene one* "Half way there!"

CantFaketheFunk:

Indigo_Dingo:

*zing!* ;)

TsunamiWombat:

think you mean PS1

Onmi:

TsunamiWombat:

think you mean PS1

Lost Odyssey (released for the 360) had 4 disks.

D_987:

Onmi:

TsunamiWombat:

think you mean PS1

yes, the 360 seems testament to having multiple disks. Call me when the PS3 requires multiple Blu-Ray. (again as a restatement before anyone fanboys my ass, I own all three)

Onmi:

D_987:

Onmi:

TsunamiWombat:

think you mean PS1

yes, the 360 seems testament to having multiple disks. Call me when the PS3 requires multiple Blu-Ray. (again as a restatement before anyone fanboys my ass, I own all three)

I really don't see the huge deal with it, having to change disks every 15 hours in Lost Odyssey was never an issue...I'm actually looking Foreward to this game and would buy it even if it came with 8 disks!

Great, storage issues... I'd rather have the video quality dropped down to SD (because it doesn't fucking matter what resolution the video is in) than pull something stupid like multiple discs but then again I think FMVs are obsolete in this day and age anyway and outside of skipping load times for quick scene changes (or maybe live action movies as in C&C) they should be sufficient reason for a punch in the face. Aaaaand I guess that puts me outside of the target audience for Final Fantasy anyway.

With 4.4 GB for one hour of gameplay they can't fit that much on a BluRay disc either. That's almost a tenth of the disc for what should be 1/80 of the game. Of course there's still the option to just stuff the game with filler so what used to be one hour of gameplay becomes eight (almost seems to describe all rail playing games) or the demo is simply from a high intensity part and the rest of the game is mostly trotting through repetitive dungeons, slapping repetitive monsters to death for hours without much video.

Indigo_Dingo:

A week later we'll find your mangled corpse below the words "Press X to not die", written in blood.

Oh nuts, does that mean I have to buy a PS3?

D_987:

Onmi:

D_987:

Onmi:

TsunamiWombat:

think you mean PS1

I really don't see the huge deal with it, having to change disks every 15 hours in Lost Odyssey was never an issue...I'm actually looking Foreward to this game and would buy it even if it came with 8 disks!

I hate disk changes

Disc changes restrict the game design since you have to partition the game so the player never walks back and forth across a disc border but I don't think a jRPG has any problem with railroading the player like that.

To be honest, I don't see the problem with multiple discs.
Sticking the cut-scene footage on the Xbox HDD might work.. Have a separate disc for all the footage, load it onto the Xbox, and let the actual game correlate the cutscenes when prompted..

Thats 30% of the game though.

Haha. Square went all the way on this one.

Hopefully we'll see this get translated quickly and then done by Graham and Paul. Hey Unskippable only uses the openings, so a demo should be fine.

CantFaketheFunk:

Indigo_Dingo:

But what if let's say there was no proof of the escapist actually having anything to do with Tying Yahtzee to a chair? It would be worth it.

Catkid906:

CantFaketheFunk:

Indigo_Dingo:

But what if let's say there was no proof of the escapist actually having anything to do with Tying Yahtzee to a chair? It would be worth it.

If he was tied to a chair how would he play it?

I'm thinking FFXIII for the 360 will be four double-sided disks, and I don't particularly mind having to change disks during a game. Getting up counts as my exercise.

Also, I am so in favour of Yahtzee reviewing FFXIII I will shave my head on youtube if Themis Media can assure he'll be reviewing it. Themis, give me a buzz, think of the promotion!

Indigo_Dingo:

Catkid906:

CantFaketheFunk:

Indigo_Dingo:

If he was tied to a chair how would he play it?

Well, he would have his hands free, and his mouth for breathing, and eating, and gagging.

Quiva:
The vids will be big cos square has been working on thier ridiculously realistic looking game graphics for ages (see The Animatrix or Final Fantasy VII Advent Children). One of the main reasons why EA bought them, so they didn't have to spend time developing something someone else had already achieved. The vids will be HD, cos whats the point of spending all that time making riduculously detailed models if you're gonna watch em in SD. Honestly i don't see what everyones on about. Its your own fault for buying an obviously inferior console so that you can ogle boobies (DOA beach volleyball tripe) or pretend to be good at FPS (Halo, which while having a reasonably intriguing storyline played like the original mario bros game when compared to say... Halflife). And until EA bought out squaresoft and combined them with Enix (after square went bust trying to make thier first CGI spectacular movie Final Fantasy the Spirits Within) you XBOX chumps wouldn't even have had a chance to play the game, cos Square only developed for PS, and before PS existed Nintendo. I despise what EA had done to the previous final fantasy games and who ever heard of a sequel before the attrocious fan service X2. Don't blame Square for having arguably the best cutscene graphics next to Blizzard, blame Microsoft for making a half assed console and yourself for buying one. And don't bother flaming me, cos i care less about you lot than yahtzee...

The word is 'because'

Square could just pull off a GT5 prologue and release the demo on a disc for a quick rental or something.

Ehhh.. Kids these days [sigh].

- Proud owner of FEAR released on 5 CDs ^^

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.