Fan Recreates Mirror's Edge In Reality

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Fan Recreates Mirror's Edge In Reality

One particularly dedicated fan of Mirror's Edge has attempted to recreate the game's first-person free-running action via video.

I really, really liked Mirror's Edge, okay? Sure, it had its shortcomings as a game, but the premise was cool and original, it had a wonderful and unique visual aesthetic, and it was really just a breath of fresh air in a sea of all-too-common sequels. Plus, the theme song - "Still Alive" by Swedish pop star Lisa Miskovsky (not to be confused with that other "Still Alive") - is hauntingly compelling.

Nor am I the only one, apparently: One particular enterprising Mirror's Edge fan has recreated the game's experience and posted it on the Internet (accompanied by the soothing strains of the aforementioned theme song) for all to see. There's nothing too complicated involved - he didn't wear a helmet and attach the camera to it, for example. No, said fan simply held the camera in his hand, and ran.

Consequently, the viewpoint is significantly shakier than that in Mirror's Edge, and if you're prone to motion sickness, you might not want to watch. Even though this video is more about running through gardens and parks (instead of atop gleaming white skyscrapers), it's still pretty impressive to watch. Actually, as far as I'm concerned, the most risky maneuver the cameraman ever takes isn't from a height at all: Jumping over your computer like in the beginning takes a lot of guts. What happens if you miss?!

Also, yes, Lisa Miskovsky apparently makes everything better. Awesome.

I hope this is multiple people. No one should be allowed to have this many skills. The cup stuff was just taking the fucking mik.

Wow, that was very well done.

That roll was awesome.
I don't get what the skateboard and bicycle had to do with Mirrors Edge though.

He puts his pants on 2 legs at a time.
Cool video though

Pretty darn good. I wish Mirror's Edge worked on this old system.

I just want him to fall off >:(

...('cos I'm envious)

How did he not break the camera?

Crickey, he spends too much time on that.

That was awesome. Seriously.

Holy shit... It's all awesome, but that part with the bike made me a believer. Even if the game is mediocre, I still wanna give Mirror's Edge a try.

When i saw the thread title, i could only think that some idiot took the game to heart and hurt himself...
but seriously... wow, amazing

Crazy stuff but not rooftop kind of stuff. Still coordinated. thumbs up.

Ben Legend:
When i saw the thread title, i could only think that some idiot took the game to heart and hurt himself...

Yeah.. my initial thought when I read the title was "great, someone breaking themselves because of a game.. Yet another chunk of cannon fodder for the anti-gamers."

I was very surprised, hes damn good.

Doing that all with a camera in hand wow cool

A glove-wearing traceur? pussycat.

Is that one person? It seems like the universe might explode from such a concentration of pure skill in one dude. That was really cool. Now I want to go try it :|

That is insane on its own, then carrying a camera too just takes the cake.

I'm surprised he managed to do most of that with a camera in one hand.

SharPhoe:
Holy shit... It's all awesome, but that part with the bike made me a believer. Even if the game is mediocre, I still wanna give Mirror's Edge a try.

It really isn't as bad as some would have you believe. Short, yeah, and an emphasis on fighting later on, but still great fun. I still go back to do a section in the second to last chapter that I love.

(Note, the part I'm referring to starts at 3:50 of part one and ends at 1:40 of part 2. Also note, the guy in the video did it "wrong", the way I do it is much faster, more stylish, and more fun).

awesome song =D

isnt this just like Free Running? which is just awesome

Incredible, though it shakes a lot. Gotta say that I am impressed.

that was fantastic....

Phyroxis:

Ben Legend:

Yeah.. my initial thought when I read the title was "great, someone breaking themselves because of a game.. Yet another chunk of cannon fodder for the anti-gamers."

I was very surprised, hes damn good.

bearin in mind that some ppl may see this, and try to do it and hurt themselves

TheFacelessOne:

not hitting the camra on the floor is a good start

Yet I've seen negative press about Parkour too, even when the world is up in arms about obese kids, then teenagers find something to do that's taking skill, intense physical activity, and ZERO financial outlay on sporting gear, and they're still moaning about it.

Ok, I admit there's risks, but I'm sure anyone with sense pushes themselves slowly, and like this guy isn't headed to the top of the Sears tower to start practicing.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps when they do it around parks and gardens there may be damage to plants, but that is something the scene needs to prove is not their intention.

Certainly makes about 4000 times more sense than paying a gym to do stuff you could do at home for free.

Seriously , anyone picking this up, great, go for it.

Also tho, he's got a real nice looking area, with a lot of variety, but then perhaps when you do these things, you look at the world from a new perspective and see things you might not notice before.

Baneat:

Maybe his girlfriend doesn't like palm calluses? I'm speculating here.

OMG THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!!! THAT WAS EXCELLENT!!!!!! RAGGHHHHHH THAT GUY IS TOO GOOD AT THINGS! I WANNA BE LIKE HIM!

That was great, I honestly was amazed at the cup part.

Eykal:

Baneat:

Maybe his girlfriend doesn't like palm calluses? I'm speculating here.

If he does this kind of thing a lot, and I imagine he does if he's that good at it, he'd probably want gloves for both grip and so he doesn't tear up his hands. Even people who lift weights at a gym are very careful not to tear callouses on their hands, as it can put them out of commission for more then a week as it heals. They may use some form of chalk, or are just very careful with how they grip (moreso then a person doing parkour has time for) instead of gloves, but you still want to protect your skin when doing any kind of repetitive heavy lifting.

He was also using his left hand for pretty much everything, which I imagine increases the stress quite a bit, rather then both hands.

TheFacelessOne:

That's what I was wondering too! If I had tried that, I would have gone through at least ten cameras :)

Will repeat what many have said, that is brilliant. Props to that guy!

I'd shake his hand and ask him how I can become him...

On a side note, I really should clean my keyboard or at least the crap under the shift keys.

That was AWESOME!

I just played and... well... beat Mirror's Edge for the first time yesterday, and I wish I could do stuff like that. So much skill!

But, the cup thing... cool as it was, it was a bit unrelated, eh?

I don't seem to remember card and dice games in Mirror's Edge...

That was just amazing. The even better part is he's doing this all with one hand because he's holding the camera with one hand... Nicely done.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.