Happy 20th, Game Boy

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Happy 20th, Game Boy

Yesterday, Nintendo's classic handheld celebrated two decades of on-the-go gaming - poorly lit on-the-go gaming, but on-the-go gaming nonetheless.

When I was a wee lad, I didn't have a Game Boy. Oh no, I had a Game Gear - Sega's theoretically "portable" Master System and attempted competitor. Don't get me wrong, I have fond memories of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (the uber-hard version) and Shining Force, but in retrospect, most of those fond memories involve sitting next to a wall plugged in via the AC adapter, since that thing guzzled six batteries at a time like a Humvee guzzles Unleaded.

The Game Gear, of course, failed to challenge Nintendo's Game Boy. Titles like Tetris, Pokemon, and Super Mario Land would firmly establish Nintendo's dominance in the handheld scene, a dominance that went largely unchallenged until only recently. Oh sure, others tried, but it wasn't until Sony's PSP that they had any modicum of success.

Ironically, the only company that could kill the Game Boy was Nintendo itself - despite claims that the Nintendo DS would not replace the Game Boy Advance, it... well, it did. However, the mega-popular DS continues the Game Boy in spirit if not in name (and also in having constant hardware revisions), so it's hard to call the death of the Game Boy platform a defeat for the House of M.

For the full-size version of the awesome "Definitive Game Boy Timeline" seen here, head on over to Gizmodo to check out the complete history of Nintendo's handheld. Can you believe it took Nintendo 14 years to put a backlight on the damn thing?

Hey you didn't need that light unless you were playing at night. Bow down to the almighty CONTRAST dial!

My first piece of gaming hardware was a clear chassied Gameboy, with Game and Watch Collection instead of Tetris. Must have been Christmas of 1995....opening presents under the tree we'd cut down the other day on the farm....

The games were few, but somehow, unaided I always managed to pick titles that would be great. Including Pokemon Blue at least 2 months before the real madness hit.....

i only got one for pokemon

*tries to look young* GameBoy? Pft, what is that, something old, thats what...

*looks around non-chantly* You'd have to be really old to remember getting that as your first 'console'....

/joke

Happy Birthday GameBoy, all the best. I loved mine and my Pokemon.

I had a yellow Color and a silver Advance.

I never got one. I wasn't really into handheld consoles.

*looks at timeline*

...wait, what? Nintendo started by making playing cards? Well, it was in 1889. I guess that makes sense...

WinterSoldier:

*looks at timeline*

...wait, what? Nintendo started by making playing cards? Well, it was in 1989. I guess that makes sense...

1889, actually.

CantFaketheFunk:

WinterSoldier:

*looks at timeline*

...wait, what? Nintendo started by making playing cards? Well, it was in 1889. I guess that makes sense...

1889, actually.

Darn, you corrected me before I could finish editing my post. Sneaky.

Now I feel old. I always wanted one when I was little.

I still have the brick sized gray gameboy. It's sad that DS overtakes Gameboy.

That timeline is really cool. It got me thinking about all the good times I had with my gray and green Game Boy during my childhood. That was my first (and only) handheld console. It's too bad I have no idea where it is anymore (if I even still have it).

Mario and the 6 Golden Coins, and the Pokemon games? Fuck yeah.

Wonder what these things are worth these days, for collecting purposes.

wow and to think the simpsons are as old as the gameboy...now that is something.

I remember I dropped my original one down a flight of stairs and it still worked. Actually I may still have that one. No clue if it works though...

Hard to believe the system is as old as I am...damn those where the days.

I had a GameBoy, the middle one on the top row. I called it my GameBoy chunky, mainly because all my friends had GameBoy colors, that needed two AA batteries, and mine needed four. Then I got an advance, and missed a lot of generations, and now play one of my sisters DS lites, quite frequently.

my first one was a pocket, i still have it it works and i love it, i also had a colour and an advance :)
LONG LIVE POKEMON GAMES!!!

My translucent purple GBC is still around. My first console. Not impressive, considering that my second one is my Xbox 360.
Is it a bad thing that I had considerably more fun with the old Zelda games than I do with today's HD gore-em-ups?

Did anyone else see the "House of M" thing? Also the SP didn't add backlighting, it added frontlighting (at least not until the GBA SP 'Model II'). On top of that, it didn't take 14 years to add a light at all, the Japanese had a light on what looks to be similar to the Game Boy Pocket (appropriately called the "Game Boy Light").

Oh, the countless nights playing after I was supposed to be sleeping with the light on under my quilt. I remember for my sixth birthday I got a purple GBC and Pokemon Red and Blue and I'm pretty sure I still have all of them.

I only wish the DSi could play GBA games like the other ones.

Man I remember being a youngun getting the first gameboy. That thing was a brick, weighed like 5lb. Still fun, but was vastly improed on by the gameboy pocket, with better clarity, resolution and battery life.

I also had a game gear, better picture, but weighed even more than the old gameboy, and went through 6 batterys in an hour.

Congrats, Nintendo. 20 years of handheld greatness. For the next week, I won't punch people who look at my DS Lite and call it a "Game Boy"...But I will punch people who say that Pokemon is for kids.

Ah, the Game Boy. I remember playing a Tom and Jerry and 101 Dalmatians game on it when I was little.

Sweet times.

Onyx Oblivion:
Congrats, Nintendo. 20 years of handheld greatness. For the next week, I won't punch people who look at my DS Lite and call it a "Game Boy"...But I will punch people who say that Pokemon is for kids.

Pokemon IS for kids *raises fists* BRING IT!!

Happy Birthday.!!

Pie for everyone.!

"Oh Gameboy you came and you gave without taking and i threw it all away oh gameboy"
(if you can't understand i sold my gameboy to get a DS)

-Seraph-:

Onyx Oblivion:

Onyx Oblivion used Ice Punch!
-Seraph- was frozen solid!
-Seraph- is frozen solid!
Onyx Oblivion threw a Master Ball!
*shake, shake, shake, click*
Onyx Oblivion caught the -Seraph-!

Would you like to nickname the caught -Seraph-?

PokeHater was sent to Box 3 of Bebe's PC!

Onyx Oblivion:

-Seraph-:

Onyx Oblivion:

*casts warp* HAH!! your spherical trinket cannot hold me!!!

-Seraph-:

Onyx Oblivion:

-Seraph-:

Onyx Oblivion:

*casts warp* HAH!! your spherical trinket cannot hold me!!!

The only moves capable of breaking out of frozen status are Flame Wheel and Sacred Fire, last time I checked. TO THE MOVEDEX!
Warp...Warp...Warp...Hmm...oh well, its not here. Time for EXTREME MEASURES!

Onyx return!
Go, Wobbuffet! Yeah. Now you're fucked. Wobbuffet is basically hax. You also can't escape thanks to Shadow Tag! :)

Don't make me cast Ultima or Super Nova

ah yes, the game boy, every one had one but me, not that i cared, i never really liked Nintendo games very much anyway. *goes and brutally murders someone* nope, not a clue.

I remeber buying a lighting thing for my GBA on the same dya, then A week later they come out with the spa

Huh, that's pretty cool. I still use my ol' gameboy pocket from time to time, I love that little thing, though it has a distinct rattle these days, slightly concerning.

Man, I still remember playing NBA Jam with my old Gameboy. I remember the gameboy being a gift from my dad before he died (I didn't know him), and it's sad that it eventually died but I got a heck of a lot of fun out of it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.