Fox Fibbed About Leaked Wolverine Movie?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fox Fibbed About Leaked Wolverine Movie?

The unfinished workprint of the new Wolverine film was apparently not as unfinished as first thought.

When an unfinished version of X-Men Origins: Wolverine was leaked onto the internet, Fox were quick to announce that it was a "stolen, incomplete and early version", but some people are saying that the leaked workprint was a lot more finished than Fox were letting on.

According to Ain't It Cool News, the leaked version was only missing some effects and some audio, but was complete in every other way. Contributor 'Veritas' has this to say about the film:

"Well, having seen the finished film, the mystery is solved: the workprint version IS in fact identical to the release print, sans effect and some audio work. It's obvious that FOX is trying their darndest to keep this news from getting out, because it will eliminate most of the motivation for people who have seen the workprint to pay for a ticket."

Veritas also mentions an unusually strict embargo on talking about the movie, saying that journalists were prevented from talking about the movie until two days before its US release on May 1st, which no doubt fueled his or her theory about Fox's statement.

Of course, we're going to have to wait and see if Veritas is living up to his or her name and telling the truth, but with all the pseudonyms and intrigue flying around, even the coverage is starting to feel like a superhero movie.

Source: via io9

Well that sucks, I prefer watching it in theatres

When I heard it was leaked onto the internet, I was appalled. You should never Illegally download any movies. Just family guy episodes that have been released in America and not the UK.

Catkid906:
When I heard it was leaked onto the internet, I was appalled. You should never Illegally download any movies. Just family guy episodes that have been released in America and not the UK.

There is HULU for that.

sneakypenguin:

Catkid906:

There is HULU for that.

HULU doesnt work for the UK.

I prefer going to see movies in theatres anyway.

No effects or sound FX in an action movie? Yes, I'd call that unfinished. What makes Veritas' think fox has any kind of obligation to make people see the movie? (Besides a moral one?)

Catkid906:

Dad?

Still sounds 'incomplete' to me. 'Some' special effects and audio-work sounds like it could really ruin the immersion (and how much exactly is 'some')

Fox News Man says OH YEAH to this. We never give the complete truth, if we can help it, OH YEAH!

antipunt:
Still sounds 'incomplete' to me. 'Some' special effects and audio-work sounds like it could really ruin the immersion (and how much exactly is 'some')

not really. having watched the leaked version a few days after it came out i can say that there is only about 1 to 2 minutes of special effects missing which really amounts to a few brief moments of oh how funny i can still see the strings. on another note i noticed no missing audio whatsoever in the release.

asides from this movie being complete and utter crap, know that it represents something. this movie is a manifestation of peoples indifference as to the quality of films being produced for this generation. when producers learn that they can consistently create low quality, poor acting, low budget films that people will still go and see, they naturally begin to lose the incentive necessary for the creation of true works of art and entertainment. there is a very good reason why the movies made 40 to 60 years ago are still some of the best movies available, with the best acting and scripts. people had higher standards. sure you can make an argument for the lack of advanced special effects or other methods to create and maintain immersion but that's really just dancing around the point. people had higher standards and do to that the industry responded with creations that will have stood the test of time another 50 years from now.

in summation people, please i beseech you, DO NOT SEE THIS FILM. do not buy it on DVD do not recommend it to your friends. sen d a message to the producers who think that they can establish a reputation for a franchise after one or two films and then create a low budget, sorry excuse for a time sink. send the message that you should have sent with spider man 3, x-men 3, and blade3. tell them that we demand quality for our money and that we will not accept anything that lowers our expectations, tell them that hype does not work on us, that we cannot be convinced that something is of better quality than we know it to be, tell them that we have standards.

so please i beseech you one last time to NOT SEE THIS FILM!
Please it is for the good of the children

Didn't see the leaked vid, wouldn't even if it were posted right here for my convenience. Because I actually believe in paying for what I get, and I prefer the big screen. So this ruined nothing for me.

perhaps fox leaked it on purpose as part of the biggest viral campaign for a film yet involving 100,000 accomplices all in on the conspiracy. This could be bigger than the Apollo 11 moon landing *panics*

Oh it was definitely a lot more complete than they said, i know, my roomies friend brough it over the other night and they watched it downstairs. I could care less so i didnt watch the movie but from the sound of it it was pretty complete.

Cousin_IT:
perhaps fox leaked it on purpose as part of the biggest viral campaign for a film yet involving 100,000 accomplices all in on the conspiracy. This could be bigger than the Apollo 11 moon landing *panics*

Fox News man has a massive wage bill to pay now. OH ... crap... Fox News man needs an icly cold duff now, OH YEAH!

I have no interest in seeing the movie so you know I won't download it. My friend has though,but he refuses to watch it until he sees the movie. Which made me go "Why?"

gibboss28:

sneakypenguin:

Catkid906:

There is HULU for that.

HULU doesnt work for the UK.

Exactly my point.

i stick to downloading music :)

no amount of special effects/added scenes could improve that piece of trash. I was curious so watched the workprint and the movie is awful, poor acting, no story arc and it hops about in the strangest of places you could put this down to being 'incomplete' but the sheer number of scenes that would be needed to make this film remotely watchable make that an impossibility.

If this is true, they're fucked. Its amazing how they could make a movie about two immortal men with claws boring, but they did it.

darthmath:

antipunt:

not really. having watched the leaked version a few days after it came out i can say that there is only about 1 to 2 minutes of special effects missing which really amounts to a few brief moments of oh how funny i can still see the strings. on another note i noticed no missing audio whatsoever in the release.

asides from this movie being complete and utter crap, know that it represents something. this movie is a manifestation of peoples indifference as to the quality of films being produced for this generation. when producers learn that they can consistently create low quality, poor acting, low budget films that people will still go and see, they naturally begin to lose the incentive necessary for the creation of true works of art and entertainment. there is a very good reason why the movies made 40 to 60 years ago are still some of the best movies available, with the best acting and scripts. people had higher standards. sure you can make an argument for the lack of advanced special effects or other methods to create and maintain immersion but that's really just dancing around the point. people had higher standards and do to that the industry responded with creations that will have stood the test of time another 50 years from now.

in summation people, please i beseech you, DO NOT SEE THIS FILM. do not buy it on DVD do not recommend it to your friends. sen d a message to the producers who think that they can establish a reputation for a franchise after one or two films and then create a low budget, sorry excuse for a time sink. send the message that you should have sent with spider man 3, x-men 3, and blade3. tell them that we demand quality for our money and that we will not accept anything that lowers our expectations, tell them that hype does not work on us, that we cannot be convinced that something is of better quality than we know it to be, tell them that we have standards.

I'm with you brother, but unfortunately I know at least 3 people who will see it for no other reason than they fancy Hugh Jackman. As heartbreaking as it is I think true lovers of film are in the minority =[

Wait wait wait wait wait? The company who made a film that had been leaked onto the internet a month early LIED to try and stop people downloading it?

Blasphemy! How could they commit such trickery in order to try and make us pay to watch their film?

/sarcasm

I'm gonna see this in a few days time - sounds like it's gonna be lols-worthy XD

I thought for a second that perhaps Fox released the 'incomplete' version 'accidentally' in order to get some free pre-release feedback and perhaps make some last minute changes. Guess they're not that cunning, heh.

To be honest, I really just want to see what a studio so incompetent that they leak their own entire movie to the internet can actually produce. Oh, and I'm pretty good by now at turning off my brain in cinemas, so it could be a laugh ^_^

the_tramp:
Wait wait wait wait wait? The company who made a film that had been leaked onto the internet a month early LIED to try and stop people downloading it?

Blasphemy! How could they commit such trickery in order to try and make us pay to watch their film?

/sarcasm

it is seriously not worth watching. However i do think it's funny to think about this, the release has created a huge amount of buzz around a film that otherwise would have seen terrible/mediocre feedback at best and now people who had no idea this film existed may even be approaching something like excitement. I agree that a full workprint of a rubbish film will probably decrease the sales overall of the film, however think what a 30-60 minute section of a good film pre-released could do for awareness/sales.

killgannon:

darthmath:

antipunt:

I'm with you brother, but unfortunately I know at least 3 people who will see it for no other reason than they fancy Hugh Jackman. As heartbreaking as it is I think true lovers of film are in the minority =[

unfortunately i fear that people like that will always provide a consumer base for people to market towards, all i wish is that they were in the minority. im just really disgusted in general with how effective recent advertising campaigns have been on people, or maybe i never really never noticed or cared. still the watchmen viral campaign is what set me over the edge. it's still irritating me even now.

i think that what today's generation believes to be secure secular social groups have been penetrated by the opinions of the global market and they do not realize it. it is subtle and perhaps it even often has a logical basis but the influence is there.

sneakypenguin:

Catkid906:

There is HULU for that.

HULU is an alien plot to takeover the world though...

And the paranoid nerd inside me will not let me go there for fear that it's true.

nilcypher:

"Well, having seen the finished film, the mystery is solved: the workprint version IS in fact identical to the release print, sans effect and some audio work. It's obvious that FOX is trying their darndest to keep this news from getting out, because it will eliminate most of the motivation for people who have seen the workprint to pay for a ticket."

There's also the fact that FOX is hoping that the enraged fanboys who've seen the workprint will pay to see a version that might not rape their beloved characters so badly, or pay for extra footage during/after the credits.

It's time for the production of these films to be handed over entirely to Marvel Studios. Especially the X-franchises and Fantastic Four. We need to get them away from the ham-handed hacks of FOX Films. FOX should continue to give us quality TV such as House, Bones and 24, and leave the comic book films to the comic book professionals.

It's not really surprising. What else would they say, "the film that fanboys have been ripping apart online (for an apparently awful script) is pretty much the final copy?"

vivaldiscool:
No effects or sound FX in an action movie? Yes, I'd call that unfinished. What makes Veritas' think fox has any kind of obligation to make people see the movie? (Besides a moral one?)

The movie was pretty much perfect...only a few scenes were "unfinished". In fact the only scene that looked very bad was wolverine's final fight on top of a reactor. I would guess that less then 10 minutes total out of the entire movie was incomplete. So yeah...

Bibliomancer:
It's not really surprising. What else would they say, "the film that fanboys have been ripping apart online (for an apparently awful script) is pretty much the final copy?"

Awful script, not enough screen time for this or that character, total derailment of one character in particular... the list goes on.

Catkid906:

Yes! It is very bad to do so! Morals are important!
That being said(sarcastically), I wasn't going to see this anyway.

vivaldiscool:

What's this about "morals," now?

MaxTheReaper:

Especially when it comes to FOX? That's laughable.

...Oh, you were serious? Let me laugh even harder!

BlueInkAlchemist:

MaxTheReaper:

Especially when it comes to FOX? That's laughable.

...Oh, you were serious? Let me laugh even harder!

I...I don't honestly know.

darthmath:

killgannon:

darthmath:

antipunt:

unfortunately i fear that people like that will always provide a consumer base for people to market towards, all i wish is that they were in the minority. im just really disgusted in general with how effective recent advertising campaigns have been on people, or maybe i never really never noticed or cared. still the watchmen viral campaign is what set me over the edge. it's still irritating me even now.

i think that what today's generation believes to be secure secular social groups have been penetrated by the opinions of the global market and they do not realize it. it is subtle and perhaps it even often has a logical basis but the influence is there.

I'd imagine the message that will be sent is that there is no more money to be made in the comic/super hero subject - not that it was a shitty movie. Unfortunate, but why blame it on yourself when you can blame it on someone else?

One of my friends is a huge Marvel fan. He was almost in tears when he described how bad this movie was. Basically, every single character had their background and powers horribly mangled. He's chosen to pretend that Emma Frost was not in this movie, because her powers were so badly mixed up and her last name was never used.

DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or