Scientists Breed Glowing Puppies

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Scientists Breed Glowing Puppies

In a blatant attempt to force squeals from teen girls around the world, scientists in South Korea have cloned puppies that glow red under ultraviolet light.

More than a simple trick of the light, the puppies' luminescence is a result of their transgenic nature. The scientists used a retrovirus to insert a biofluorescent gene into the dogs' genetic structure during the course of their normal gestation -- or, as close to "normal" as a cloned baby beagle gets.

Of the 344 embryos altered and implanted into adult female dogs, seven resulted in pregnancy. One pregnancy ended in miscarriage, while another pup died of pneumonia after birth, leaving the team with five glowing bundles of joy.

Obviously this method of crafting extra-adorable pups isn't exactly efficient, but it serves as further proof of concept of mankind's burgeoning ability to directly target and alter genes within living organisms.

Ideally this sort of technology will eventually serve to prevent the likelihood of hereditary illness, but if Hollywood has taught me anything, we'll probably all be killed by transgenic supersoldiers long before then.

0_o

Oh, South Korea. What will you think of next?

Yeah....I'm not sure what to say about this.

Glow in the dark puppies! Nice.

I....... cannot think of an intelligent comment on this subject. So instead I shall say this.

Dude... what the fuck?

WANT!!! But then again, maybe not, seeing as in order for them to glow I would have to bathe my entire house in UV light, and I don't think that's very healthy. ALSO: I wonder if their pee glows, kinda like if you chugged an Orange Quantum?

Lios:
I....... cannot think of an intelligent comment on this subject. So instead I shall say this.

Dude... what the fuck?

This. Seriously, why the hell would someone make glowing puppies?

Yegargeburble:

Lios:

Dude... what the fuck?

To give mother nature the middle finger.

What is the purpose of this i mean it doesn't sound like there would be a reason to have glowing people

Sweet, I want a Rotweiler that glows blue, and take him to a rave.

that seems quite derranged to me, but at least you wouldn't loose them at night

Glowing animals is old news.
Come on, give the the damn wings already.

Yegargeburble:

Lios:

Dude... what the fuck?

Because they can.

it really isn't anything special its merely a procedure in genetic engineering to add that glowing trait so that they can check which of the test animals received the altered genes without having to do extensive testing

Well, if they're going to be altering genes, they might as well make it entertaining but otherwise useless. I would be really worried if they were making these things stronger, heal faster, and with adamantium teeth and claws (but it'll happen eventually).

Win.

Yegargeburble:

Lios:

Dude... what the fuck?

..for people who can't afford flashlights =p

I'm sure they are gonna be a blast at parties, and if you get a UV light you can always find them in the dark if you take them for an evening walk.

... umm... cool? I have no idea how to comment on this.

I told you all there will be no revolution and science once again helps the canine society stop those dreaded kittens and their revolution.

EDIT: By the way I don't believe I have ever seen this new news contributor. So welcome and I look forward to seeing more news stories.

Oh good we will have an increase of ultra violet light sales and a new influx of abandoned dogs at the pound.

If it's not harmful to the puppy, then I'm all for it. I mean, who wouldn't want a glowing puppy?

Yegargeburble:

Lios:

Dude... what the fuck?

They couldn't get planning permission for exploding sheep?

Anyone know if they make glowing kittens? I want a glowing kitten.

So cute! I would buy one and give him an ironic name, simply because owning a glowing puppy opens so many doors in the way of original names.

IxionIndustries:

This ^^ hell yes.

IxionIndustries:

That would be scary as hell.
Also they probably wouldn't allow it into the club, although you could bill it as a rave dog I guess...

I want one.
No Really
Give me a glowing puppy or I'll eat your brains.

I've seen glowing rabbits before, so this is nothing truly revolutionary.

I MUST HAVE A GLOWING PUPPY!

Kukul:
Glowing animals is old news.
Come on, give the the damn wings already.

No, give them gills. Then you could chuck a bag of them in the river, wiat till some good looking women walks past, and act like you're saving some drowning puppies.

That ain't a dog, Lester.

That there's a Zergling.

Why a red? Why make an otherwise cute puppy glow a hell fire red? Why not green or the aforementioned blue?

Glowing puppies maybe; Kujo's hell spawn most definitely.

Now you won't step on it in the dark anymore!

Ooooh.. I want! Though i wish they would make glowing kittens, preferably green like that glowing zombie from Fallout 3.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here