Faith Fighter Pulled Over Islamic Complaint

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Faith Fighter Pulled Over Islamic Complaint

Faith Fighter, a Mortal Kombat-style fighting game featuring deities like Jesus, Buddha and Ganesha has been pulled by Italian developer Molleindustria following a protest by the Organization of the Islamic Conference.

The controversy started following a report by Metro.co.uk which called the game "deeply offensive and provocative," particularly to Muslims, whose religion prohibits images of the Prophet Muhammad. "This game is going out of its way to upset people and I think it should be taken off the internet," said Link Church Pastor Douglas Miller. "Playing violent video games will ultimately affect your behavior and this game is deeply offensive and provocative."

There's only one small problem: Faith Fighter was released well over a year ago and had cruised under mainstream radar until the Metro report broke. In fact, Molleindustria claimed that prior to the article the company had received only two letters of complaint about the game, from Catholic gamers. Faith Fighter is firmly tongue-in-cheek, opening with a message urging players to "reflect on how the religions and sacred representations are often instrumentally used to fuel or justify conflicts between nations and people." The character of Muhammad can even be censored to avoid depicting his face and thus causing offense.

Nonetheless, the Saudi-based Organization of the Islamic Conference accused the game of promoting "intolerance" and called for its removal. "When his attention was brought to an internet report posted by Metro.co.uk on an online game depicting holy figures such as Prophet Jesus and Prophet Muhammad (PBUT) fighting each other to the death, a spokesman of the OIC Islamophobia Observatory in Jeddah today expressed his concern stating that the computer game was incendiary in its content and offensive to Muslims and Christians," the OIC said in a statement. "He said that the game would serve no other purpose than to incite intolerance. He called on the Internet service providers who are hosting the game to take immediate action by withdrawing it from the web."

"We suspect that people at OIC never played the game and only referred to the article on Metro UK that successfully manufactured this controversy," Molleindustria said on its website. "This phenomenon is related to the still marginal role of the medium: Commentators feel authorized to judge a game without playing it and just conforming to the common narrative depicting video game as violence generators (a narrative we tried to make fun of promoting Faith Fighter as a cathartic tool for religious hate)."

Faith Fighter was removed from the Molleindustria website as a result of the OIC complaint but the company noted that doing so was a "symbolic act," since the game has been out long enough that it's easily available elsewhere. "Hopefully this will help people to make their judgments by examining the actual work and not the sensationalist accounts spread by mass media," the studio said.

via: GamePolitics

Meh, looked like a fun game, although I would have to say the number of fighters available is disappointing, where are the gods of Olympus? Mayan and Aztec deities? The Egyptians deities as well? Damnit!!!!

cainx10a:
Meh, looked like a fun game, although I would have to say the number of fighters available is disappointing, where are the gods of Olympus? Mayan and Aztec deities? The Egyptians deities as well? Damnit!!!!

The .FLA files are freely available and the original devs encourage fans to add their own deities.

Wow. Now all we need is for Bible Fight to get some major press, and Adult Swim will get their pants sued off. It's the only way I can see this ending...

Nimbus:

cainx10a:

The .FLA files are freely available and the original devs encourage fans to add their own deities.

Really? Well then, can't wait till a Pastafraterian gets his hands on it.

Malygris:
"Playing violent video games will ultimately affect your behavior and this game is deeply offensive and provocative."

That's the part that particularly got me. Seems he's a against games first, (perceived) religious intolerance second.

This is a game we most definitely do not need. It would spawn an infinitely more adamant fanbase of religious fucktards.

Edit: In the form of deity fanboys.

Cid SilverWing:
This is a game we most definitely do not need. It would spawn an infinitely more adamant fanbase of religious fucktards.

Sorry Zeus just zapped Muhammad for 21000 K points of damage. Muhammad attempted to use his suicide belt and OMG, it's a double K.O!!! And what the hell, why did Jesus enter the arena ... is he ... YES , he is resurrecting the two combatants and .... wth .... hugging them both?

All religions should shut the fuck up and stop trying to stop people from making fun of them.

Sorry if this offend anyone, but it's bad enough. Shit like this offends me. Remind me to eat pork and loudly talk about it next time I'm surrounded by Muslims.

Gormourn:
All religions should shut the fuck up and stop trying to stop people from making fun of them.

Sorry if this offend anyone, but it's bad enough. Shit like this offends me. Remind me to eat pork and loudly talk about it next time I'm surrounded by Muslims.

You just made my day. XD

Somebody tell me again why we keep giving in to the friggen muslims with a grudge againt the photo industry? It really does piss me off that these people hold so much sway over what we can and can't print.......hold on let me go find my picture of Osama and relabel it Muhammad so I can give them a long distance, self inflicted atmoic wedgie from it.

I'm all for religious tolerance and the like, but we shouldn't cave to a religion's demands simply because they've got the most crazies waiting in the wing. They need to learn to do what ever other religion has, SUCK IT UP AND DEAL WITH IT.

KeyMaster45:
Somebody tell me again why we keep giving in to the friggen camel jockies with a grudge againt the photo industry? It really does piss me off that these people hold so much sway over what we can and can't print.......hold on let me go find my picture of Osama and relabel it Muhammad so I can give them a long distance, self inflicted atmoic wedgie from it.

I'm all for religious tolerance and the like, but we shouldn't cave to a religion's demands simply because they've got the most crazies waiting in the wing. They need to learn to do what ever other religion has, SUCK IT UP AND DEAL WITH IT.

Tell me about it. I too am for religious tolerance and what not but this shit is getting old and it's getting old fast.

reminds me of religion top trumps http://newhumanist.org.uk/1915 but seriously how can anyone think were going to get away with it as always a up cry from those who take their religion very seriously.

KeyMaster45:
Somebody tell me again why we keep giving in to the friggen camel jockies with a grudge againt the photo industry? It really does piss me off that these people hold so much sway over what we can and can't print.......hold on let me go find my picture of Osama and relabel it Muhammad so I can give them a long distance, self inflicted atmoic wedgie from it.

Surprised you werent diciplined for the "camel jockey" remark. I agree with your points though, why do religions attract the most uptight people? Lighten up already.

xmetatr0nx:

KeyMaster45:

Surprised you werent diciplined for the "camel jockey" remark. I agree with your points though, why do religions attract the most uptight people? Lighten up already.

Actually using it was a rather lengthy thought process on my part, in the end I figured I was angry enough to use it. Though you are right, it is quite insensitive on my part, I'll change it.

dalek sec:

KeyMaster45:

Tell me about it. I too am for religious tolerance and what not but this shit is getting old and it's getting old fast.

I think religious tolerance is that we let them build their churches that don't have to pay taxes and don't discriminate them because of their religion... much.

But religions should not be allowed to do this kind of shit. What's next, Christians proposing teaching in schools that the world was created by God in most unlikely and unscientific circumstances? ... oh wait. Or maybe Muslims trying to pass laws and complaining to all the restaurants and store that sell and cook pork?

No. The madness must stop.

Muslims are always whining and protesting something that the West says against it. Yet they routinely mock Christianity and other religions.

Hypocrites, thy names are Mohamedans.

I wonder if we complain about the Muslim faith itll ban itself ?

actually things like this may end up bringing more people over to said religion in the long run (VERY LONG RUN), and even if not, they should stop being so but sore about it. Laughter is the cure of all things so why don't they laugh about it and move on with converting the world.

Funny how the thread turned into a muslim-bashing thread, when even a Pastor was condemning the game for it's contents. Muslims aren't being given special favor (unless you mean those bombs we tend to drop on them).

cainx10a:
Funny how the thread turned into a muslim-bashing thread, when even a Pastor was condemning the game for it's contents. Muslims aren't being given special favor (unless you mean those bombs we tend to drop on them).

But isn't the bashing so much fun? but they hate everyone else so a little fun shouldn't hurt...right?

oops double post

cainx10a:

That's probably becuase the title reads "ISLAMIC complaint".

scotth266:

Really? Well then, can't wait till a Pastafraterian gets his hands on it.

The FSM already makes a cameo appearance in the first round.

They shouldn't have taken the game down.

Oh what a kicker, the Islamic community getting their knickers in a bunch over somthing potentially harmless and thus actually causing it to become what they accused it of, AGAIN. What novel and shocking news this be. Oh wait.

I will stop bashing muslims when they get down on their knees and apologize for 5 years of prejudice behavior and acts against me and my relatives that are too apaulling to post on the internet (yes, thats right) when In our own countries they are requesting Mosques everywhere and pushing for excempt treatment to abide by their bullshit laws. (Woo Woman beating legal because they feel like it, No.)
~Aimed at the people who are whining about the change in topic. When it's inevitably the way the topic will go.

Charli:
Oh what a kicker, the Islamic community getting their knickers in a bunch over somthing potentially harmless and thus actually causing it to become what they accused it of, AGAIN. What novel and shocking news this be. Oh wait.

I will stop bashing muslims when they get down on their knees and apologize for 5 years of prejudice behavior and acts against me and my relatives that are too apaulling to post on the internet (yes, thats right) when In our own countries they are requesting Mosques everywhere and pushing for excempt treatment to abide by their bullshit laws. (Woo Woman beating legal because they feel like it, No.)
~Aimed at the people who are whining about the change in topic. When it's inevitably the way the topic will go.

It's probably not even "the islamic community". No matter how much I personally despise any kind of religion, quite few of my friends are jewish and muslim, and they aren't anything like that.

It's probably a few loud extremist jerkwads.

And I agree with what you said, but I have to add that no religion, no religion what so ever should have their own religious rights enforced in any country. Woman beating? Your religion said it's okay? Fuck you, you're coming to jail with the same assault charge as anyone else. Same goes for anything else. Religions don't deserves special treatment or "appreciation". The way they're still here and don't have to pay taxes is way too much appreciation already, for something founded on millenia old myths and unscientific beliefs.

I think each of our societies are being conditioned to hate eachother by our respective governments or leaders of faith in order to pave the way for WW3. The overwhelming negativity on this forum is proof in itself. We ALL need to learn to lighten up so we don't end up destroying eachother and allowing both of ways of life to be taken over by the individuals in this world who are trying to take over.

this game was probably going to flop anyways

Charli:

Inevitable with you get bigots like you. What kind of "Prejudice behaviour" were aimed towards your family (oh and Prejudice != Discrimination)? The same that is given to minorities everywhere around? The same given to non-christians in the west? The same given to Muslims in their own damn countries?

And you know what's even more funny, there were no Muslims rioting to have this game banned over the internet? Oh wait ...

I have this game saved on my computer. To be honest I'm surprised it took this long for people to act offended.

Damn...score one for insecure religious nuts with too much power...I really wish that religions could learn to take themselves less seriously. Maybe, if people didn't automatically associate religion with uptight prudes, then they would be more open to hearing the messages that are contained within the belief system.

cainx10a:

Charli:

Inevitable with you get bigots like you. What kind of "Prejudice behaviour" were aimed towards your family (oh and Prejudice != Discrimination)? The same that is given to minorities everywhere around? The same given to non-christians in the west? The same given to Muslims in their own damn countries?

And you know what's even more funny, there were no Muslims rioting to have this game banned over the internet? Oh wait ...

Lemme guess, you've never actually lived outside your own country.

In that case you're not even on the same level of knowledge and experience as I am, and argueing with you is a gigantic waste of time you hippie-government fed moron.
I'm not allowed to say what 'behaviour' was exacted because we've been threatened with unthinkable ultimatums should we speak of it, but don't worry once our book is published in a years time I'll direct it to you and you can rethink your ignorance here today.

Now just shut up about it, and if you don't like what I have to say, ignore it.

Also you might want to look up Prejudice and Discrimination because the meaningings while often coinciding, are not mutually the same.

i beated the game at some point, but it isnt that fun. only good thing is that they parodies the gods pretty well.

Charli:

cainx10a:

Charli:

Lemme guess, you've never actually lived outside your own country.

In that case you're not even on the same level of knowledge and experience as I am, and argueing with you is a gigantic waste of time you hippie-government fed moron.
I'm not allowed to say what 'behaviour' was exacted because we've been threatened with unthinkable ultimatums should we speak of it, but don't worry once our book is published in a years time I'll direct it to you and you can rethink your ignorance here today.

Now just shut up about it, and if you don't like what I have to say, ignore it.

Also you might want to look up Prejudice and Discrimination because the meaningings while often coinciding, are not mutually the same.

I am actually from a 3rd world country, with a vast diversity of religious blokes, although 85% of us are actually of Indian descent, as in, those douches who make awful "Americanized" movies from India these days.

I have seen more prejudiced behavior and discriminatory actions here (Yes, Canada > . >) than I did in the old country even when dealing with Asians or Blacks. So "hippie-government fed moron", you can shove it up your ass.

I have been to France, England, even Dubai, been chased by "skinheads" in london, annoyed by a french server for a mispronunciation to death in Paris and well treated in Dubai since I was spending too much money for my own good.

And you are on the goddamn internet, and you can't actually bother to tell what happened to you? Who are you kidding? The fucking Iranian Spy Agency "Captain Islam's Minions of wackiness"?

And I hope that damn book better come into an e-book format, and I want a signed copy.

Note: Just because a few decided to annoy your family, doesn't mean you condemn the rest. Then again, I really have no goddamn idea what they did to you. Did they burst into your house, make you watch as they rape your mom and sister while threatening to burn your dog if you don't convert or what?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.