Canada Added to U.S. Piracy Watch List

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Canada Added to U.S. Piracy Watch List

The Entertainment Software Association has applauded a decision by the U.S. government to put Canada on a "priority watch list" of nations that fail to uphold "effective intellectual property protection and enforcement."

The United States Trade Representative put Canada on the watch list today, a decision made following recommendations from the ESA and other industry groups. The U.S. videogame industry says Canada needs to address several "deficiencies" in its intellectual property laws, including outlawing mod chips, creating "adequate legal incentives for internet service providers to work with copyright owners in combating online piracy" and providing increased resources to enforce and prosecute intellectual property crimes.

"Putting Canada on the 'Priority Watch List' is a signal of the Obama Administration's commitment to strengthening global intellectual property protection, and its intent to address this issue firmly with the Canadian government," said ESA CEO Michael D. Gallagher. "Canada's weak laws and enforcement practices foster game piracy in the Canadian market and pave the way for unlawful imports into the U.S."

"Canada contributes significantly to the development of today's leading games - creating thousands of high-paying jobs along the way. We are eager to see Canada become a full partner in protecting these products on the way to market," he added.

The ESA has been critical of Canada's intellectual property laws for some time now: In early 2008 it submitted a filing to the U.S. Trade Representative saying that "legal deficiencies" and a lax attitude toward intellectual property rights enforcement had resulted in pirated games and circumvention devices (mod chips) "permeating" Canadian retail markets. Canada joins 11 other nations on the new Priority Watch List including China, Russia, India and Thailand.

In response, Canada has reportedly put the U.S. on Georges Laraque's Priority Watch List of guys who are going to get the business next time they go into the corner when the ref's not looking.

Am I the only one noticing that America has a lot of major countries on their list?

(P.s whos the head of list department, I'd guess Nixon, but I guess thats too cliche)

bad rider:
Am I the only one noticing that America has a lot of major countries on their list?

(P.s whos the head of list department, I'd guess Nixon, but I guess thats too cliche)

No, the head list maker is J. Edgar Hoover's ghost. They meet up at his burial site every friday night and he gives them a list of "things or people to keep an eye on". Either way its about time canada gets put on notice by us, we have tolorated their toloration of french canada far too long.

Side note, why'd you use a Batarian for the picture? Because Bioware's Canadian?

I'm not the only one who realizes that this is stupid, right?

So?

Ooh scary; we're on some dipshit's list...

Well since the states is in charge of everybody else I guess we have to listen to them and put my fair country of Canada on their watch list. Since they've done such an excellent job of running their country [into the ground] we have to listen to them [whither and die] since they're the world police.

"You sir,aren't doing things our way.You are now on our list"

Whoop-dee-fucking-doo

This just in: the bug up America's ass is getting bigger.

I personally applaud Canada for telling DRMs where they can stick it.

This makes me want to pirate just a bit more today.

Either that or find my webcam and e-mail the USTR a ten-minute vid of my waving my dick in their face to 'Yakety Sax'.

Well it's good to know America regards us a threat in some way little do they know about our nuclear arsenal i mean yes we're a piracy threat.

and after the announcement video game piracy centered around Canada immediately dropped by .00000000000000000001% prompting ESA's Michael D. Gallagher to say "We got them on the run now".

Yeah I fail to see the point of this

I wonder if this is why Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason was delayed till next week, probably going to be one DVD for the game, and two more just for the DRM overkill once it gets here.

Oh my god, the mounties are going to steal our music. RUN AWAY!!!!!

xmetatr0nx:

bad rider:

No, the head list maker is J. Edgar Hoover's ghost. They meet up at his burial site every friday night and he gives them a list of "things or people to keep an eye on". Either way its about time canada gets put on notice by us, we have tolorated their toloration of french canada far too long.

I was thinking more Joseph McCarthy.

No YOU have "legal deficiencies".

Ha!

Malygris:
Canada joins 11 other nations on the new Priority Watch List including China, Russia, India and Thailand.

The longer the list, the more obvious it is that the list doesn't work. I'm not worried, I'm a Somalian pirate and Somali isn't on that list :D

Oh no!! A LIST!!

*faints*

Paranoia strikes deep.

Malygris:
In response, Canada has reportedly put the U.S. on Georges Laraque's Priority Watch List of guys who are going to get the business next time they go into the corner when the ref's not looking.

I like your attitude.

: )

Malygris:
"adequate legal incentives for internet service providers to work with copyright owners in combating online piracy"

woah woah woah, like ps2 mod chips? no way that will suck

Wow for a sit that thinks that pirating intellectual property, you guys are sure mad about this. I'm sorry but I do feel that Canadians need to do more to stop the pirating of peoples intellectual property, because with out this protection we probably won't see many more new games or well see an increase in that ever annoying DRM. So, please take a step back and look at the damage caused over your own hurt feelings.

I think Stephen Colbert's threat list carries a bit more weight personally.

...We ARE on that one? Right? Well, either way, this is kinda cool. Now I can wear an eyepatch in public without feeling silly.

Thats the same technology we use for shopping.

If we Canadians had access to things like netflix, or even the ability to watch streaming video online from the major TV networks, piracy might not be such a problem

So that means we should stop illegally downloading games and such or else the U.S will stare at us funny? What can they do to us if our government does not do anything (or keeps doing the same)about piracy? Stare at us even FUNNIER? Sure they can encourage us to crack down on the pirating of games and movies but still a list won't do much. This is silly

While I'm generally against piracy, this particular decision... Well, a song from the South Park movie springs to mind first and foremost, to be quite honest. :P

USA: "grrr"
Canada: "meh /care?"

This story is comical.

Hankage:
So?

Ooh scary; we're on some dipshit's list...

Laughed so hard at this.

Jarrid:
This just in: the bug up America's ass is getting bigger.

I personally applaud Canada for telling DRMs where they can stick it.

Yeah, here's me feeling stupid for thinking that the USA was going to start being a little more cool when the Obama administration came into power.

Instead he keeps acting like my old headmaster from junior school - "Now then, now then, this behavior is unacceptable!".

Obama even has the arrogance to presume he can come over here to Europe and tell us who we should allow into our private club (I'm talking about his expressed desire for the EU to grant Turkey membership despite their numerous human rights abuses). My message to Obama is: "F*ck off and run your own country".

Lord_Panzer:
Oh no!! A LIST!!

*faints*

This. And your avatar is awesome for posts like this ;)

In other news, America can stay the f*** out of my countries business and policy making. For the record I like Obama and I think he's going to be very good for the USA in general. But seriously, getting on our asses over something like this when the USA still owes us millions over the softwood lumber dispute. . .millions that international courts told the USA they legally had to pay back but instead they ignored everyone and fucked us any way for no better reason than they can and it suites them. . .they can piss right off as far as I'm concerned.

I don't hate Americans, but christ the rest of the world wasn't put there just to serve American interests and conform to American policies. . .

Oh wow maybe I should stop being such a pirate! Argh! "Cough" "Cough" Yeah right "Cough" "Cough"

Leorex:
Thats the same technology we use for shopping.

Fuckin' Canadians. Pirating bastards!

Sorry, anyway. I think the American's are just getting more and more paranoid as the days progress.

This is dumb. It's like a band of thieves trying to tell Robin Hood not to steal. What?!

Ghostkai:
USA: "grrr"
Canada: "meh /care?"

This story is comical.

ahhh here is a person who trouly understands the usa's foren politics

Mew mew mew
Canada won't make it legal to harass people for having a single MP3 or homebrew games.
Mew mew mew
We are going to put them on a watch list.
Mew mew mew
We really have no power to do anything else
Mew mew mew

SUCK IT TREBEK... And the ESA too.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: