Turtles In Time Remake Coming To XBLA

Turtles In Time Remake Coming To XBLA

Ubisoft and Konami are putting together a 3D remake of Konami's finest 2D beat-em-up featuring everyone's favorite heroes in a half-shell: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time.

Turtles In Time surely ranks high among childhood favorites for any gamer who spent some part of their childhood trying to decide which of the Ninja Turtles was their favorite (Raphael's the best one, by the way), and that's not just nostalgia. The game, produced by Konami in 1991 for arcades and then later ported to Super NES, is arguably one of the better sidescrolling beat-em-ups from an era crammed full of them.

Which makes you wonder, with the revitalized commercial viability of the TMNT brand, why it took so long for Ubisoft and Konami to remake the game. In any case, here it is, revealed by a TMNT fan who attended a Galabunga event in New York City last week: the Turtles in Time remake for Xbox Live Arcade.

"The game is basically Turtles in Time with new graphics," the fan, roseangelo, blogs. Gameplay's in 2D but everything else - the backgrounds, the character models - are rendered in 3D. The music is exactly the same, apparently, but one of the boss fights is different from the fight in the SNES version, leading some fans to speculate that the game is based on the arcade version.

Turtles In Time is currently only in development for XBLA, but apparently might be coming to WiiWare as well. No word on release date, pricing or any online multiplayer options.

FUCK YES! FUCK YES!

Time to get that other Turtles XBLA game, as preparation.

Onyx Oblivion:
FUCK YES! FUCK YES!

My thoughts exactly! God, I wish I had a 360 and Live so badly right now...

...I almost want it enough to actually buy microsoft points :/

Possibly the best selling XBLA game of the year?

This is hopefully going to be great I remember playing the original with my cousin.So many awesome memories of "You can be Leonardo I'm going to be Donatello"

While we all like rejoicing about a good game making a comeback it is kinda sad that they are just doing a graphical redesign. I don't think that is enough to make me want to get the game even if one could play it on a big screen tv.

from talking to Laird directly about the TMNT a couple years ago, he said most of it has a lot to do with rights and who owns them and such. it took them a bit to get back in control of them and that's why the new series is actually good

Hah the game that coined the phrase TMNTing it.

Or prehaps it's just an inside joke among me and my friends but it means when you repeatedly use 1 move over and over again.

which in this game was the jump and then down kick.

OOOH! OH OH! OH MY GOD!
I'm so glad I added a 360 to my collection last week!

Onyx Oblivion:
FUCK YES! FUCK YES!

Time to get that other Turtles XBLA game, as preparation.

You took the words right out of my mouth...uhh hands.

Keane Ng:
but one of the boss fights is different from the fight in the SNES version, leading some fans to speculate that the game is based on the arcade version.

Hell yeah, the only arcade of Turtles in Time that I know of is in Oregon in a small arcade and I don't even know if it is still there! Whenever I would visit my aunt and uncle out there I would always make sure to get a bunch of quarters to play Turtles in Time with a new experience.

Now put the X-men arcade game and the Simpsons arcade game on Live Arcade/PSN/Wii Ware I don't care just bring back my arcade treasures.

Awesome. Awesome to the max. I loved Turtles in Time when I was a young'in, it'll be great to play it in 2.5D. And yes, Donatello is the best turtle, at least he could actually hit people with his weapon, instead of Leonardo who couldn't use his swords because it would be violent.

Wow...it looks great...this is just awesome.Does anyone know if they'll be releasing this title for the PC?

Yes. Yes and more yes. No. Yes. LOTS OF CHEESE!

Anyway, this has got to be the single greatest idea ever.

Keane Ng:

Turtles In Time surely ranks high among childhood favorites for any gamer who spent some part of their childhood trying to decide which of the Ninja Turtles was their favorite (Raphael's the best one, by the way)

Gee, Keane. That's an awfully weird way to spell Donatello.

Oh hell yeah! That is by far my favorite TMNT game ever.

CantFaketheFunk:

Keane Ng:

Turtles In Time surely ranks high among childhood favorites for any gamer who spent some part of their childhood trying to decide which of the Ninja Turtles was their favorite (Raphael's the best one, by the way)

I agree, Donatello was amazing. I remember beating this game when I was 6 years-old with my cousin. Curse you evil Shredder! And you, scary floating brain guy!

Is it only coming out for the 360? Any word on a PS3 version?

Damn... still looks awesome though.

CantFaketheFunk:

Keane Ng:

I thought it was an odd way to spell Donatello, too. He should have used turtle-check.

I-I'm sorry but this game does not compare to TMNT 2 and 3 for the NES, flame me if you must but you know it to be the truth.

My happiness cannot be measured by any fathomable means right now. I used to rent this game for SNES all the time when I was a kid, now I'll get to play it again, hopefully the remake will be awesome.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here