THQ Reveals Mysterious WWE Online

THQ Reveals Mysterious WWE Online

During its recent quarterly earnings call, publisher THQ revealed a mysterious in-production title known as WWE Online.

The game, which is being developed in Asia, is, as IGN points out, something of a mystery.

We know that THQ owns the rights to create wrestling titles based on World Wrestling Entertainment, and that those games are a huge cash cow for the publisher, but is WWE Online an attempt at simultaneously exploiting the lucrative license and the affection gamers have for online worlds?

Asian gamers are particularly prone to spending huge gobs of cash on the latest and greatest MMO to hit the market, and the region has a long-standing affection for professional wrestling.

The MMO market in North America and Europe is slightly more difficult to crack, but perhaps the rabid following that the WWE brand already boasts could be the catalyst THQ needs to launch a winning online world.

And, as long as we're wildly speculating for lack of solid data, why don't we just assume that this game is going to include Metal Gear Solid-esque stealth gameplay, Halo-esque online multiplayer shooting, World of Warcraft-esque expansive fantasy worlds and Nintendo-esque lovable characters?

Hell, we might as well say WWE Online cures cancer and buys your girlfriend a pony every time you say something stupid.

Actually, this sounds like the best game ever! THQ, I'm holding you to all these promises I just made on your behalf.

a wrestling mmo...could be interesting so long as it gets focused on the right things (no grinding!!!!! )

How is this meant to work?
Yes Asia has a different culture and all, but will they really be willing to pay the rates of an MMO for playing a wresteling title online?

And that's the bottom line. Coz Stone Cold said so.

A MMO management sim could really work well.

...This is an abomination.

I am calling the Bene Gesserit.

MaxTheReaper:

Call on your witches then!

Everyone knows that Mentats> Bene Gesserit Witchers!

This is awesome!
Not a big fan, but it's always entertaining and an on-line game?! Sounds minted.

The_root_of_all_evil:

I hope to god that you don't get kids.

The only way i think this could work as a title, and still be wrestling oriented, would mean it would be like city of heroes.

oliveira8:

MaxTheReaper:

Incorrect sir!
Mentats are awesome, but they cannot compel people to do what they wish, or extend their lives far beyond what is normal.

Furthermore, I will need help destroying this abomination, so who you gonna call?
Bene Gesserit!
...Doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it..

MaxTheReaper:

oliveira8:

MaxTheReaper:

Incorrect sir!
Mentats are awesome, but they cannot compel people to do what they wish, or extend their lives far beyond what is normal.

Furthermore, I will need help destroying this abomination, so who you gonna call?
Bene Gesserit!
...Doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it..

Pff! Those witches are only good to implant religion on sand planets! If you really want someone to destroy abominations you call:

JeKaWo:

The_root_of_all_evil:

I hope to god that you don't get kids.

Wrestling is pantomime for adults, I loves it :)

Am I the only one who thinks this could work and/or be awesome?

Imagine creating your own wrestler and going through the ranks of the WWF (screw you pandas) while maybe a mod of the game could take the role of manager and shedule your matches.
Awesome! My chances of becoming the next Gorgeous George just increased by a lot!

Shit, if I were 8 years younger or would give a shit about online gaming I'd be stoked now.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, wait, this is srs bizness? Wow. Or rather, WoW, because WoW is one of the best MMOs out there and how could a dialed-in placeholder of a game compete with that? It's a wrestling game, for Vecna's sake! I rest my case.

The_root_of_all_evil:

I was not bashing on you horribly spelled Stone Cold Steve Austin quote, i was bashing at the fact that you were trying to reduce some asskickings of ginormous proportions to a sad and sorry excuse for a game.

A management sim can and will never do the genre any good, a management sim is what you get when publishers like EA say: "How can we milk this gamelicence for even more money" and another EA employee answers: "let's make people try and make their own matches with the stars they want, instead of us actually making an effort to create something.

I too love wrestling for the art it is, and i am a Huge fan of Steve Austin, but i will say this:
"Austin 3:16 Says: "I Just Done Whooped Your Ass!"."

oliveira8:

Pff! Those witches are only good to implant religion on sand planets! If you really want someone to destroy abominations you call:

...Touche.
You win this round.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why THQ is $430 million in the hole.

The_Oracle:

Oh, wait, this is srs bizness? Wow. Or rather, WoW, because WoW is one of the best MMOs out there and how could a dialed-in placeholder of a game compete with that? It's a wrestling game, for Vecna's sake! I rest my case.

How about you go play your ninja turtles game?, and stop pestering us with your blatant lack of brains..

JeKaWo:

A management sim can and will never do the genre any good, a management sim is what you get when publishers like EA say: "How can we milk this gamelicence for even more money" and another EA employee answers: "let's make people try and make their own matches with the stars they want, instead of us actually making an effort to create something.

I too love wrestling for the art it is, and i am a Huge fan of Steve Austin, but i will say this:
"Austin 3:16 Says: "I Just Done Whooped Your Ass!"."

Ah, I get you now, I'm just thinking of setting something up like "Mafia Wars" or the ilk that would allow you to fight others until you reached the WWE matches.

AFAIK, "The Wrestling Game" (Browser based) does pull in a LOT of players.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Ah, I get you now, I'm just thinking of setting something up like "Mafia Wars" or the ilk that would allow you to fight others until you reached the WWE matches.

AFAIK, "The Wrestling Game" (Browser based) does pull in a LOT of players.

i just don't think THQ would develop something like a flash application in the like of mafia wars when they have so much bigger possibilities..

try imagining that you have to go to "detroit" to find the Wrestlemania I arena where Mick Foley will allow you to buy a steel chair.

so long as I can make a wrestler who dresses up like Kamen Rider i'm cool.

hey! players can form companies and put on matches that bring in revanue, hence you gain more cash, do your own entrances, pay for pyro. don't wanna join a corperation? wrestle the indy circut and get noticed or start your own.

JeKaWo:

The_Oracle:

How about you go play your ninja turtles game?, and stop pestering us with your blatant lack of brains..

I'm sorry but epic fail is fail. You don't even know anything about me nor did you bother to fully read my post, and as a matter of fact, I frakking loathe TMNT and always have. Reported.

'Races'(Alignment): Heel, Face, Tweener
'Class'(Gimmick): High Flyer-> Luchador, Garbage Wrestler-> Extremist, Amateur Wrestler-> Technical Master, Brawler-> Striker Etc. Etc.

This could really work, you start out breaking out into the independants and the big goal is the WWE, the more you level up the more dangerous and powerful your moves are. You can't start off doing a Figure 4 Leg Lock, you have to build up from weaker leg submission moves etc.

Be a high flying Luchador who dabbles in the extreme! Be a Striker who isn't afraid to do a shooting star press! Wrestle on the grandest stages of them all! Form Stables and become THE TOP GUY!

WWE Online. The Real World is Faker than Wrestling.

or just make a huge lumbering idiot wrestler who can barely move and finish the game in 5 minutes since wwe love big muscle bound morons more than actual wrestlers :)

broken-serenity:
or just make a huge lumbering idiot wrestler who can barely move and finish the game in 5 minutes since wwe love big muscle bound morons more than actual wrestlers :)

Wha? What is this I don't even... is this supposed to be a Joke referencing Khali?

broken-serenity:

'

I suppose you don't think here of wrestlers like Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, HBK, all of whom i must the WWE loves and cares for..

yes they were all bloody good wrestlers but vince macmahon seems to have a thing for hiring talentless lumbering idiots recently which is what i was commenting on, obviously nobody got the reference so i'll leave it there.

I like the idea because this is something actually different then anything else out there. There's no quests, no swords and no spells. I support the idea and think that if fantasy football works (which as far as I know it does thought I don't know much) then a wrestling MMO will to.

broken-serenity:
yes they were all bloody good wrestlers but vince macmahon seems to have a thing for hiring talentless lumbering idiots recently which is what i was commenting on, obviously nobody got the reference so i'll leave it there.

Well we would have if you had actually had a point, but seeing as 'Recently' he brought it Even Bourne and other quick guys you just came across as... whats the word...

Stupid? Yup thats the one.

And they are pushing Miz, Morrison, MVP, CM Punk, Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, Chris Jericho, Edge and (Ugh) Orton at the moment.

Big and slow they aint.

Big Show may be pushed but he has frigging talent.

Again I stick by the idea of this being a PVP MMO only, and that you will either be a heel or a face (posibly a tweener) and you would pick a style of wrestling and run with it.

So long as I can do a Shooting Star Press i'm cool.

JeKaWo:

The_Oracle:

Who are you?

I misread the title. I wanted WW1 Online =[.

Sooo, a WWE MMO. Is that like normal multiplayer with a super deluxe, overly bloated Game Lobby? With all kinds of wonderful customization options which you can pay for via micro-transactions? I mean, how is this going to work. It's like announcing a CoD MMO. Could imagine a WWE game with CoD's semi-persistency, but this. Interested in seeing how this "MMO" is going to turn out.

not exactly sure why we're even bothering to discuss this considering its only being made for the asian market so its not like any of us cept a very small percentage will even get to try it let alone play it regularly.

mmm
intresting
lets hope its better than the laggy servers on LIVE

Did nobody read the article linked in the OP?

There's no indication it's going to be an MMO. It could be flash game for all we know. To be honest, the OP almost verges on shoddy reporting for suggesting it will be.. I say almost because he makes it pretty clear he's talking crap, but people here seem unable to understand that.

Hell, it might even mean THQ is re-releasing their online CCG With Authority!, which would be pretty cool in and of itself, IMO.. (it was actually kind of a fun game, I had a deck that was designed to sneak a chair into a cage match (no "weapons" type cards can be included in a cage match deck, but Shane McMahon had a special ability that allowed him to summon a chair and hit with it in the same turn, then leaving the chair in the ring) and if it managed to play right usually meant a decisive advantage because the other player usually didn't have cards in their caged deck to deal with weapons)

JeKaWo:

broken-serenity:

'

I suppose you don't think here of wrestlers like Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, HBK, all of whom i must the WWE loves and cares for..

Hogan was just another huge, lumbering idiot wrestler who could barely move. Hell, Hogan pretty much STARTED the trend of huge idiot wrestlers who could barely move.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.