Meet The Old Republic's Trooper Class

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Meet The Old Republic's Trooper Class

For those of us who prefer to bring a blaster rifle to a lightsaber duel, there's the newest revealed class from Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Trooper.

Beam swords that can slice through anything and make cool whoosh-whoosh noises are totally overrated. Give me a suit of body armor, a gun that goes pew pew and maybe some explosives and I'm good to go. Forget playing as a Jedi in BioWare's new Star Wars MMOG, The Old Republic. Give me the common man's fighter. Give me The Trooper.

"These Troopers are the embodiment of the Republic military's highest aspirations-the most advanced fighting force in the galaxy," BioWare writes of the class. "They are equipped to face any foe in any environment, but it's not their gear that makes them tough-it's their guts."

Their gear looks pretty nice, too, though. In addition to armor suits and big guns, The Trooper also comes battle ready with a grenade launcher, sticky grenades (getting some major Halo vibes here) and of course, the blunt end of his/her rifle, which will always do to knock some jerk out stone cold.

"Whether storming a base or a battlefield, the Trooper charges into the fight, blaster-rifle blazing, to clear a path for freedom and justice," BioWare writes. They also note that the class does well in squads but is more than reliable in solo play.

Seems cool, though will any of these classes prevent people from all starting as Jedi?

NoMoreSanity:
Seems cool, though will any of these classes prevent people from all starting as Jedi?

I believe they might have a Jedi class in the long runs. So far, the bounty hunter and trooper seems to be mirrors of each other in a technical sense (the flamethrower / weapon clobber to get right of monsters in close-quarter), (abilities to use special weapon attachments - grenades), but with a slight difference in the sense that the trooper can use sticky grenades and the bounty hunter can use a jet pack.

NoMoreSanity:

Probably not.

I'm still waiting for them to announce interstellar combat as a feature. Once they do; fuck Jedi, I'm going straight for the pilot.

Flying-Emu:

NoMoreSanity:

Probably not.

I'm still waiting for them to announce interstellar combat as a feature. Once they do; fuck Jedi, I'm going straight for the pilot.

Another pilot type. Good call my friend.

I was skeptical at first, but this game is seeming better and better to me. I may have to subscribe to my first MMO!

God I hope this game is good and well balanced. I heard they might utilize micro transactions in it though... that would suck.

"Class Features: Shitty Aim."
"You hold onto the trigger for dear life, praying to the Force and spraying pewpew beams everywhere. You do not hit anything for the next fifty shots."

MaxTheReaper:
"You hold onto the trigger for dear life, praying to the Force and spraying pewpew beams everywhere. You do not hit anything for the next fifty shots."

I'm sure they give you auto-aim like Shadowrun.

MaxTheReaper:

At level twenty, it's replaced by the "Shoot at lightsaber" skill.

Valiance:

MaxTheReaper:

I'm sure they give you auto-aim like Shadowrun.

And if they want to be accurate, Stormtroopers will be inaccurate.
EDIT: Also, joke alert. Just in case someone starts to whine.

Break:

MaxTheReaper:

It's like Flynning, but with blasters.

Break:

MaxTheReaper:

Ha, Movie refrences.

I was HOPING this had something to do with Republic Commando. Am sad now.

NoMoreSanity:

It really depends on how overpowered jedis will be in the game.

If I were to play this game, jedi probably wouldn't be my first choice.

But who knows... If you can force choke... -_-

Broken Orange:

Break:

MaxTheReaper:

Ha, Movie refrences.

Don't you know of the 'Trooper school?

That's like the main thing they're taught.

MaxTheReaper:

funniest thing I have seen all week. Kudos Max.
Looks very interesting. But for me anyways, the big appeal of both KOTOR games was playing as a jedi.

NoMoreSanity:

in all likelyhood no, but would that really be such a bad thing? I mean wasn't playing a jedi one of the big appeals of the previous KOTOR games? They could maybe just not let anyone start as a jedi.

Gormourn:

Broken Orange:

Break:

MaxTheReaper:

Ha, Movie refrences.

Are the troopers also going to randomly prone to making idiotic decisions...
Like cutting themselves off from enemies that they're pursuing, not organizing their groups properly to surround the heroes etc.

"Open the blast doors! Open the blast doors." =P

Iori35:

Gormourn:

Broken Orange:

Break:

MaxTheReaper:

Ha, Movie refrences.

Are the troopers also going to randomly prone to making idiotic decisions...
Like cutting themselves off from enemies that they pursuing, not organizing their groups properly to surround the heroes etc.

"Open the blast doors! Open the blast doors." =P

There's probably a good reason they DON'T surround the heroes -_-

Because every time that happens, someone gets killed. And usually, the 'troopers.

True Gormourn, quite true.

However, if they outnumber the heroes several hundred to one at medium range...
I think then the troopers stand a decent chance.

Oh wait, I forgot to add something...
The troopers will also suffer from the standard bored / thick henchman guard problem.
The standard "What was that?...eh, it's probably nothing" response to small noises.

NoMoreSanity:

Hell yes. Jedi are for assholes.

aaah
the troopers rocked!
possibly the only thing better would be the Wampas from battle front 2 :P

Simriel:

NoMoreSanity:

Indeed. Sith is where it's at.

Lord_Panzer:

Simriel:

NoMoreSanity:

Sith are for sadistic Jerks.

Gormourn:

NoMoreSanity:

It really depends on how overpowered jedis will be in the game.

If I were to play this game, jedi probably wouldn't be my first choice.

But who knows... If you can force choke... -_-

I liked choke, and it was very good, but for me it was all about either A:force storm or B: the various light side buffs or C: A and B. Mostly choice C. Though force wave was another of my favorites. I would use plague when I felt like being just plain sadistic.

Urgh, go through the official site, you'll see sickeningly repulsive comments from the members that sound like some kind of bad Trekkie convention...

Edit:

Gormourn:

There's probably a good reason they DON'T surround the heroes -_-

Because every time that happens, someone gets killed. And usually, the 'troopers.

Hey, you get to play the essential role of the Redshirt.

As for how to handle Jedi without the lightsaber...

Amusing to see a trooper that looks strangely similar to the clone troopers... approximately 4,000 years before they were even around. But that's just nit-picking.

The real question is... will I even play it? *sigh* Decisions.....

Just remember, folks, the Old Republic's military, and in fact, the whole of the Old Republic have a strict "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy. ;)

DarkLordofDevon:

Flying-Emu:

NoMoreSanity:

Probably not.

Aww, I thought I was the only one.

We should totally group up and become space pirates or something.

TsunamiWombat:
As for how to handle Jedi without the lightsaber...

Thank you.. Thank you a million times over!

Edit: woops, forgot to comment on the OP.

I always wondered why somebody would continue as a long range fighter (except force powers) in KoTOR. Now I'm beginning to wander why somebody would continue to play as one of these classes (Bountyhunter or the Trooper). But if you start out with them and eventually gain jedi-ism then it's okay.

Man, I think TOR will be the first MMO I'll play ever! :)

Flying-Emu:

DarkLordofDevon:

Flying-Emu:

NoMoreSanity:

Probably not.

Aww, I thought I was the only one.

We should totally group up and become space pirates or something.

Yaaar!

Ah, terrible joke. I apologize.

Bounty hunters I can see, but the Star Wars canon clearly puts troopers as nothing more than canon fodder to be taken down by the hundreds or thousands at a time.

Lord_Panzer:

Simriel:

NoMoreSanity:

Glad to see another not tainted by the foolish self-destructive tactics of the meatbag Jedi.

Pirce:
Bounty hunters I can see, but the Star Wars canon clearly puts troopers as nothing more than canon fodder to be taken down by the hundreds or thousands at a time.

Just imagine all the PC's are Commando's. Infact, thats what they are if you read the website. The "Trooper" class are the elite recruited from within the Republic Military, then given special training.

And if you wanna know how badass that is, just play Republic Commando.

Bounty Hunters, Jedi, Troopers. This game is going to be the end of me.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here