Whodunit, In Your Browser

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Whodunit, In Your Browser

Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot, right? Right? Apparently not, if a simple little browser game is to be believed.

Pick the Perp is an unassuming little game, a few lines of text, a few pictures and a crime. All you have to do is pick the person who was charged with the crime. Sounds simple enough, but play it even for a few minutes and you begin to see that it isn't simple at all.

Turns out it wasn't the scary looking guy with the tattoos that got charged with battery after all, it was the blond girl who you'd have thought would have been more at home at a library.

The game is the brainchild of Maximillian Hill, who works at an advertising agency by day, and dabbles in web design in his free time. Pick the Perp was the product of a long weekend after Hill discovered a site that posted mug shots of people arrested in the last 24 hours.

The game allows players to put their own prejudices under the microscope, an impressive feat for such a simple game, although some don't see the game quite that way. "There are a lot of people who think that the game promotes racism or stereotypes," said Hill, "and I don't see it like that. I'd say that the site provides the user with an opportunity to make a snap judgment: if they choose to stereotype the five people they're looking at, that's actually quite interesting, and hopefully the site allows for some self-reflection."

So go give it a go, see what you find out about yourself, and about others too.

Source: Edge

Sounds interesting, I'll give it a go.

You're right, this game is really hard. My streak is 1. Wooo!

MasterStratus:
You're right, this game is really hard. My streak is 1. Wooo!

SAme, i keep over thinking, and picking the one who looks least likely, it doesn't work

This game is really hard but got a streak of....1 :D

Wow, this is interesting.
GARRR, Can't get better than a streak of one.

Got 25%
Best Streak: 1

Ummm... Did I just see Morgan Freeman in there?

Eh. I did 20 of them, and I got 4 right. Streak of 2.

I wasn't even being prejudice.

Rhayn:

That's creepy; I got the same.

I made a streak of 2! It was pure luck however.

I got a 3 streak, it was greatly assisted by the prowler charge, it was the only guy there :D

i got a streak of 2, got 6 out of 32 18.32 %

i cracked up when i saw exposure of sexual organs

This is bloody hard! I thought it'd give you a clue or two per crime, but seems no. My average is currently below random chance, heh.

Lukeje:

Rhayn:

I don't think we need to call the Psychic Connection Department unless your streak was on the 'No valid drivers license' and 'Carrying a concealed firearm' questions.

im crap of this game :(

Interesting
I managed streak of 3 though 8]

Most of these don't even allow for bias. Secondly, why was the only person who didn't look high, or drunk the one charged with intoxication. That's just cheating.

Damn it I keep thinking the heavily built dude with a scar is too obivous, clicking on someone else and then finding out that it was in fact the heavy built scary dude with the scar.

If it looks like a serial killer, smells like a serial killer and acts like a serial killer chances are its a serial killer.

Streak of 2, 4 out of 16 right.

But err... aren't there legal privacy issues with these pictures?

Best streak: 2.

I got 6 out of 25 (24%).

Man, this is hard.

Considering they don't give you any information about the crime, it's impossible to know who did it.

However for some of the crimes you can tell by visual identification. You can always tell who the drug addicts are.

Also my best streak is 5.

I tried 25 and got a streak of... 2

Strangely I did get all but one of the heroin users correct. Mmm, I hope its just a coincidence.

streak of 3, 7 out of 25 right. I wouldnt be a good policeman.

Wide White:
Ummm... Did I just see Morgan Freeman in there?

Yes, I believe you did. Charged with attempted murder, too.

"Who was charged with Open Container?"

Open Container? What the hell sorta crime is that? Can anyone shed any light on that for me?

Rhayn:

Lukeje:

Rhayn:

I don't think we need to call the Psychic Connection Department unless your streak was on the 'No valid drivers license' and 'Carrying a concealed firearm' questions.

Nah, cocaine possesion and something else. Must just be coincidence then.

Wow...this is hard.

Best streak: 1

I did 20, and I got two right. Streak of one.

20, 5 right, streak of 4.

Real police work (not pulling over speeders and collecting tax money) must be hard.

"Who was arrested for Marijuana Posession?"

Gee, is it the big burly black man, the slightly less burly black man who makes up for it with tattoos, the black woman with a bloody nose, the crazy old 60 year old white guy with the crazy eyes and the camo jacket, or the white college student with pseudo-beard and grin?

I wonder...

This is nostalgic, I thought I'd get more right.
Well that teaches something about myself,
Results: 10/50 20% Streak: 1

sheic99:
Most of these don't even allow for bias. Secondly, why was the only person who didn't look high, or drunk the one charged with intoxication. That's just cheating.

I agree, aren't mugshots supposed to be taken at the time of the crime?

Cousin_IT:
im crap of this game :(

Don't feel bad, I didn't get my first one right until,like, 12 guesses in.

Streak of three. My secret? Always go for the Charles Manson-looking motherfucker.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here