The Konami Code Conspiracy

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Konami Code Conspiracy

Facebook, Digg, Gamespot. What do these sites have in common? 30 extra lives, that's what.

You may have heard a couple of weeks back that someone discovered a strange little Easter egg on ESPN.com that made pictures of unicorns and other fantastical equine creatures appear on the screen when the 'Konami code' was entered.

Sadly, the bosses at the site quickly dealt with the 'problem', but it inspired others to go out and randomly try the code on other sites, just to see if anything would happen.

Turns out, plenty will happen, in places you wouldn't think of. Facebook, for example, adds a lens-flare effect when you type or scroll. Gamespot is a little more obvious, with the code taking your straight to the Contra cheat code page, or the Probotector page if you're in the UK.

A short list of sites that have some kind of Konami code shenanigans can be found here.

It's not all that strange if you think about it, a lot of web designers are going to have grown up with the NES, and likely have a warm place in their hearts for the Konami code's life-extending power, but its appearance turns the internet into a fun little scavenger hunt for gamers all over the world. Is this just a frivolous bit of fun, or is it a sign of something sinister?

Only by inputting the code, will you ever find out.

Source: 1up

Didn't someone make a post about this already?
Regardless, its pretty interesting. I just wish putting in the Konami code on a site would let you play Contra.

Why doesn't the escapist have a Konami code feature? Hmmmm?

I found a list of sites while stumbling on friday. I did that lens flare thing on facebook.

thisnameistaken2:

Same thing I thought.

I mean, facebook beat us to it.
And is there a video of ESPN unicorns?

I just figured out about this on Friday. Funny it would show up here.

Erana:

thisnameistaken2:

Same thing I thought.

How hard can it be(Don't answer that because its probably coding and that is hard!!!!)

it doesn't work on the escapist :(

Did you use the search bar? Tsk tsk...

Obviously, I jest. Anyway, the escapist should definitely get some sort of Konami code Easter egg. You should probably work on it. Yes, you.

OK OK, why doesn;t the Escapist have a Konami Code thing? are we not good enough?

What is the equivalent of start when entering this code on the keyboard? Enter? Shift?

How do we use the code on a keyboard?

This is INCREDIBLE.

I am amazed, I wonder how long these websites had the code sitting around, just waiting for someone to discover it?

The Konami code on facebook?! That is just awesome.

Someone already showed me the ESPN unicorn thing, it was very amusing. I'm glad to see little Easter eggs like this pop up.

slightly disappointed that this site doesn't have some thing happen... aw... still, very cool. If I ever used facebook, I would use this with it.

this is funny shit ^^

mentor07825:

you type it in... with the keyboard... sometimes you will have to hit enter afterwards too.

Quadtrix:
What is the equivalent of start when entering this code on the keyboard? Enter? Shift?

mentor07825:

Exaclty as it is supposed to be

Using the arrows and B and A

thisnameistaken2:

Erana:

thisnameistaken2:

Same thing I thought.

How hard can it be(Don't answer that because its probably coding and that is hard!!!!)

I vote we petition the mods for one!

bodyklok:

thisnameistaken2:

Erana:

thisnameistaken2:

Same thing I thought.

All In Favour Say AYE

AYE

thisnameistaken2:

bodyklok:

thisnameistaken2:

Erana:

thisnameistaken2:

Same thing I thought.

All In Favour Say AYE

AYE

AYE AYE me heartys.

What was the last game that used the Konami Code?

AYE!

Excellent, thanks guys!

bodyklok:

thisnameistaken2:

bodyklok:

thisnameistaken2:

Erana:

thisnameistaken2:

Same thing I thought.

All In Favour Say AYE

AYE

AYE AYE me heartys.

Aye

PirateKing:
I found a list of sites while stumbling on friday. I did that lens flare thing on facebook.

It's fun to look at, but it makes it ridiculously hard to see what you're typing. So far, though, that's the best effect I've gotten from trying the code on every site.

Anybody else try it immediately after reading this?

ESPN had it so when you click, it makes unicorns.

Indigo_Dingo:

Neo Contra for the PS2 I believe.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Select, and start. Never forget.

thisnameistaken2:

Just about to ask that

This is very easy to code can be done with multiple browsers and written in javascript. (Iamnotbutimightbebehindthisconspiracy)

Darkrai:

Indigo_Dingo:

Actually, they were in Metal Gear Solid 3 after that (It allowed you to exit to the main menu to avoid game overs, mess with the credits, and show The Ends location. I was just wondering if there was anything since then. It wasn't in MGS4 (which makes me a sad panda), nor Rock Revolution (I was hoping it was a "Make gameplay better" code because I think its setlist is better than its competitors).

Edit: Apparently, the last game Konami made that uses the Konami Code is Silent Hill: Homecoming. Entering it unlocks "Young Alex" (WTF?).

Indigo_Dingo:

Darkrai:

Indigo_Dingo:

Actually, they were in Metal Gear Solid 3 after that (It allowed you to exit to the main menu to avoid game overs, mess with the credits, and show The Ends location. I was just wondering if there was anything since then. It wasn't in MGS4 (which makes me a sad panda), nor Rock Revolution (I was hoping it was a "Make gameplay better" code because I think its setlist is better than its competitors).

Edit: Apparently, the last game Konami made that uses the Konami Code is Silent Hill: Homecoming. Entering it unlocks "Young Alex" (WTF?).

A young Alex? WTF!? Glad I didn't buy SH:H

EDIT:Make gameplay better code. HA genius, if only

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook