Barbarella Will Not Be Remade

Barbarella Will Not Be Remade

Could a remake of possibly the cheesiest movie of all time be coming? Sadly, the answer is no.

How do you describe Barbarella to someone who hasn't seen it? Imagine a 40th century Wizard of Oz, where Dorothy seduces everyone she meets. Now, reduce the effects to a bare minimum, and turn the cheese factor way past Flash Gordon levels and you have a movie that's tailor-made for Mystery Science Theater 3000.

The guy behind Sin City, Robert Rodriguez, wanted to bring this hippy heroine back to our screens so that a whole new generation of movie goers could look it and say, "What the hell?"

Unfortunately, it looks like it's not going to happen. Universal was originally happy to go along with it, but as the budget swelled to Terry Gilliam levels, the studio backed out. Rumor has it that it also didn't think that Rose McGowan had the star power for a blockbuster.

There was a brief respite in which the Germans would front $70 million, but only if the film was shot in Germany. Much as Rodriguez wanted to, the thought of leaving his five kids alone for that long made him turn it down.

"It was a real bummer. We had all this artwork and screen tests of what it would look like. It was a really cool, R-rated, sexy version of a Star Wars movie... it was gonna be really great," said Rodriguez.

There is a happy ending, though. Instead of becoming the new Jane Fonda, Rose will instead take the place of Brigitte Nielsen as the new Red Sonja.

Source: The Register

The_root_of_all_evil:
"It was a really cool, R-rated, sexy version of a Star Wars movie... it was gonna be really great," said Rodriguez.

No. No it was not.
I disregard anyone who describes their own work, or in this case, lack thereof, as cool.

The_root_of_all_evil:
the thought of leaving his five kids alone for that long made him turn it down.

Heaven forfend he'd take his kids with him.

madbird-valiant:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Heaven forbid he sees the idea of relocating his kids to a foreign country for six months to being somewhat disruptive to their lives...

Good, i was getting tired of Rodriguez and Tarantinos latest campy attempts at "bringing back" some old movies fad.

Boobies.... Wait what? Oh hey there's an article here too.

Such a shame. I'm sure it would be an awesome movie to get stoned for.

Damn, I liked the original in fact I think I'm going to watch it now.

such a shame and i've seen the original one

oh well just means Sin City 2 will be out sooner i guess

The_root_of_all_evil:

There is a happy ending, though. Instead of becoming the new Jane Fonda, Rose will instead take the place of Brigitte Nielsen as the new Red Sonja.

Dear Lord... I didn't think that movie was good enough to warrant a remake, even by Uwe Boll.

As much as I like Tarantino and Rodriguez, I think the whole Grindhouse thing was good in that it sort of yanked on their leash a bit. They're both a lot of talk and not much action (wasn't Machete already 90% shot back when Grindhouse came out, and no mention since) and maybe losing a couple of the 50 projects they both seem to try and focus on at one time will make them focus a bit more on less. Think about it:

Rodriguez first movie, his entire focus: El Mariachi
One of his latest movies: Once Upon a Time in Mexico, while preparing for Grindhouse, while also shooting parts of Machete, while making the Spy Kids trilogy, while...

The_root_of_all_evil:

madbird-valiant:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Heaven forbid he sees the idea of relocating his kids to a foreign country for six months to being somewhat disruptive to their lives...

And? They're kids. xD

The_root_of_all_evil:
There was a brief respite in which the Germans would front $70 million, but only if the film was shot in Germany.

Wait. The nation of Germany where rising up to save a remake of Barbarella? What kind of country is that?

thenumberthirteen:

The_root_of_all_evil:
There was a brief respite in which the Germans would front $70 million, but only if the film was shot in Germany.

Wait. The nation of Germany where rising up to save a remake of Barbarella? What kind of country is that?

An awesome country imho.

The_root_of_all_evil:

They're just children.
Not people.

They don't even have lives yet.

thenumberthirteen:

The_root_of_all_evil:

One that funded...
Oh my god.
I'm blanking.
Uh...German dude. Huge ego. Shitty movies.
Video game movies.
Uwe Boll!
Sorry.

MaxTheReaper:

The_root_of_all_evil:

They're just children.
Not people.

They don't even have lives yet.

thenumberthirteen:

The_root_of_all_evil:

One that funded...
Oh my god.
I'm blanking.
Uh...German dude. Huge ego. Shitty movies.
Video game movies.
Uwe Boll!
Sorry.

I'd like to buy a vowel.

Zephirius:

I'd like to buy a vowel.

Do I look like...
Whoever...does that show?

Man, what is with me tonight? Focus!

Goddammit Rodriguez, don't you it get that everytime you do something for your children (Shark-boy and Lava-girl) you're just slowly destroying your career?

One of my fav. movies, like that comic-book style... Hope that someday will be second part of this movie.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here