First Modern Warfare 2 Details Touch Down

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Modern Warfare 2 will sport co-op missions, open-ended levels, and the return of Soap MacTavish, according to details revealed in the latest issue of Game Informer.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare set a new precedent for on-rails storytelling in games - who could forget when the nuke goes off at the end of "Shock and Awe" or when that helicopter crashed in "All Ghillied Up," crippling your commanding officer and forcing you to carry him and defend him from enemy troops with no more than a sniper rifle and some mines.

Modern Warfare 2, however, seems to be taking a slightly different approach to the design of its missions. According to the new issue of Game Informer (received and scanned by some lucky GiantBomb user), missions won't play out in such a linear fashion. Instead, the gameplay is "wide open and has a lot of variety," with the example given of a mission where the player is tasked with destroying an enemy camp's fuel supply. A radar-like device on his weapon makes stealth an option, but dodging vehicles and staying hidden requires good reflexes. On the other hand, going in guns blazing means that there'll be fewer bad guys to contend with later on in the mission.

While the gameplay is "open," the story, says Infinity Ward, will be "on rails" in typical Call of Duty fashion. Soap MacTavish, one of the player characters in COD4, returns as a "grizzled NPC vet," probably playing the role that Captain Price did in the last game. The events of the story follow the COD4's, with a new Russian terrorist/warlord threatening the safety of the world. No word on whether Price is still alive, but he better be.

Being that the "on rails" story seems to be very much focused on you, co-op will not be an option in campaign. Instead, Modern Warfare 2 will feature a separate mode with co-op missions that are supposedly in the spirit of the airplane mission that was the action-packed epilogue of COD4.

Finally, the campaign's reportedly longer than COD4, which was a short (albeit sweet) ride. Other complaints that Infinity Ward is addressing with the game include fixing infinite enemy respawns in campaign and adding a "live patching" system for updating the game without requiring annoying downloads.

More info and pretty screenshots are available in the upcoming issue of Game Informer.

What can i say really, just going to patiently wait for this release and hope its as good as it sounds.

Hmm...I fear change...

Keane Ng:
No word on whether Price is still alive, but he better be.

I doubt it. The soldier giving him CPR stopped and then swung his fist into Price's chest like he was giving up.

Keane Ng:

Modern Warfare 2, however, seems to be taking a slightly different approach to the design of its missions. According to the new issue of Game Informer (received and scanned by some lucky GiantBomb user), missions won't play out in such a linear fashion. Instead, the gameplay is "wide open and has a lot of variety," with the example given of a mission where the player is tasked with destroying an enemy camp's fuel supply. A radar-like device on his weapon makes stealth an option, but dodging vehicles and staying hidden requires good reflexes. On the other hand, going in guns blazing means that there'll be fewer bad guys to contend with later on in the mission.

Soooo, Far Cry 2 with good guns? Sounds neat.

This sounds sweet.

Though might be a case of the Molyneux-crippled by ambition.

AdjectiveAnimal:

Keane Ng:

I doubt it. The soldier giving him CPR stopped and then swung his fist into Price's chest like he was giving up.

Lies!
Filth and lies!
Why do you lie?
Not fair, Price is too awesome.

That might have brought him back again, you dont know. I like the idea of being tutored by your "past" avatar. I think thats rather clever to be honest, i can imagine him in a rough voice saying "and then Cpt price slid the pistol to me" to the new you. Pricey best be there somewhere, hes been in all cod games, maybe he has a son?

Any updated info on mulitplayer?

Perk list, weapon list, map list... anything?

MA7743W:

AdjectiveAnimal:

Keane Ng:

Lies!
Filth and lies!
Why do you lie?

That's Leftenant for you.

TheFacelessOne:
This sounds sweet.

Though might be a case of the Molyneux-crippled by ambition.

First of all sweet avatar second of all no game ever lives up to the hype. Just remember that.

So, they are going to create their own co-op missions....I take that as a shorter co-op campaign, with shittier levels than the regular solo campaign.

They should stop making Call of Duty games because they are getting crap now
WAW was an EPIC FAIL!

MA7743W:

AdjectiveAnimal:

Keane Ng:

Lies!
Filth and lies!
Why do you lie?

Maybe he just didn't realize who he was giving CPR to and stopped when Price told him to get out of his face.
EDIT:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:
WAW was an EPIC FAIL!

That's because WAW was made by Treyarch.

They were saying that CoD 4 would have a new "more open" mission structure as well. Honestly Infinity Ward is great, and they seem to know what they want to do with the series.

WANT MOAR P90's!!! that is all, I have simple desires...

AdjectiveAnimal:

Keane Ng:

LIES.

I'm fairly skeptical about this. The last CoD (WaW) was done perfectly with only the sniping bits feeling tagged on instead of built in. My biggest complaint about CoD4 was that I felt too strong at all parts of the game. I also felt like a solo dude taking out an entire army like previous CoD's. I hope they go more the WaW route and have both allies and enemy AI's fighting. That really helped the game along.

AdjectiveAnimal:

Sometimes in CPR, one quick, violent blow can start everything moving again. Sure, you may crack a rib, but it can bring 'em round :-)

Daveman:

God no. It was people like you that ruined multiplayer.

"I could take the M16, which requires skill, or the Skorpion, which shoots fast but is inaccurate... or I could take the P90 and never, ever have to aim again!"

Pr0 InSaNiTy:
WAW was an EPIC FAIL!

Then thank God this isn't a Call of Duty game.

:D

SilentHunter7:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:
WAW was an EPIC FAIL!

Ahem read the topic. Its Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

DasMark:

Daveman:

God no. It was people like you that ruined multiplayer.

"I could take the M16, which requires skill, or the Skorpion, which shoots fast but is inaccurate... or I could take the P90 and never, ever have to aim again!"

QQ MOAR WHIN3R!!!!!1

No seriously, whining about Marty when it was so easy to evade, or even exploit by picking up the nade and tossing it at an enemy (preferably a friend so that they can whine instead), P90 when those pesky little rats would bunny hop like a retarded rabbit getting chased by a hye ... [pew pew pew]

The only real thing that ruined multiplayer was BAD map designs resulting in "unwanted" spawn rapeage.

I wonder if Soap will say anything in this game?

Open levels? Seems a bit risky if you ask me. It will either work really well or not at all.

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease let this work well.

COD4 was a-clamourin' for co-op at some points, so a new co-op mode which is separate from the main mode would be excellent, as it would be a new experience from single-player. I hope that at least one of the co-op levels allows one player to go in all guns blazing while the other uses the distraction to sneak around.

Keane Ng:

Modern Warfare 2 will sport co-op missions, open-ended levels, and the return of Soap MacTavish, according to details revealed in the latest issue of Game Informer.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare set a new precedent for on-rails storytelling in games - who could forget when the nuke goes off at the end of "Shock and Awe" or when that helicopter crashed in "All Ghillied Up," crippling your commanding officer and forcing you to carry him and defend him from enemy troops with no more than a sniper rifle and some mines.

While the gameplay is "open," the story, says Infinity Ward, will be "on rails" in typical Call of Duty fashion. Soap MacTavish, one of the player characters in COD4, returns as a "grizzled NPC vet," probably playing the role that Captain Price did in the last game. The events of the story follow the COD4's, with a new Russian terrorist/warlord threatening the safety of the world. No word on whether Price is still alive, but he better be.

Being that the "on rails" story seems to be very much focused on you, co-op will not be an option in campaign. Instead, Modern Warfare 2 will feature a separate mode with co-op missions that are supposedly in the spirit of the airplane mission that was the action-packed epilogue of COD4.

Finally, the campaign's reportedly longer than COD4, which was a short (albeit sweet) ride. Other complaints that Infinity Ward is addressing with the game include fixing infinite enemy respawns in campaign and adding a "live patching" system for updating the game without requiring annoying downloads.

More info and pretty screenshots are available in the upcoming issue of Game Informer.

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!
I'm more excited than ever to be receiving my Game Informer now! Better come soon! (looks at calender.)Shit, It's gonna be a while before I get it. =' [

I don't believe they'll actually deliver the open levels thing. They claimed that's what CoD2 featured ("If given objective A and B, you don't have to do A first. You could opt to do B first!") but that was bull, because it wasn't like you could opt not to fight or whatever. Same thing in CoD4; sure, you could take the left way or the center way or the right way, but it didn't really matter which way you took. This'll probably be pretty much the same thing. There'll be enough flexibility that IW can be like "look, we let you do that" but not enough that you could compare it to Far Cry.

And that's not a bad thing. I think it's wonderful that IW is able to make such great games while maintaining the old FPS rail technique.

seamusotorain:

AdjectiveAnimal:

Sometimes in CPR, one quick, violent blow can start everything moving again. Sure, you may crack a rib, but it can bring 'em round :-)

So he can be alive, it's just not very likely... my god he better have survived.
Or there will be blood.

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

SilentHunter7:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:
WAW was an EPIC FAIL!

Do you mean "First Modern Warfare 2 Details Touch Down"? I see no Call of Duty there!

The Call of Duty tag has been dropped from Modern Warfare 2 a little while ago, when Activision realized that the CoD name couldn't push copies as well as the MW name. Modern Warfare is its own franchise now. :)

SilentHunter7:
snip

Damn, beat me to it.

SilentHunter7:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

SilentHunter7:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:
WAW was an EPIC FAIL!

Do you mean "First Modern Warfare 2 Details Touch Down"? I see no Call of Duty there!

The Call of Duty tag has been dropped from Modern Warfare 2 a little while ago, when Activision realized that the CoD name couldn't push copies as well as the MW name. Modern Warfare is its own franchise now. :)

Read the bloody information! Its the sequel to COD4 Modern Warfare there is no independent franchise!

Let's get a few things straight here for everyone.

Number 1: The same team does not make all of the Call of Duty games. COD1, the expansions to 1, and COD2 were made by Infinity Ward (and they were awesome). COD3 was made by Treyarch and was a sin against humanity. COD4 was made by Infinity Ward. COD5, Treyarch. Are you noticing a pattern?

That's right. Infinity Ward makes good games, and Treyarch does not. So that's dealt with. Now you know.

Second: Modern Warfare 2 is a sequel to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. That is right. You are correct. However! Infinity Ward and some higher ups in the company have realized and indeed even publicly stated that yes, we must be getting tired of World War II games. That's why Modern Warfare 2 is not going to be called COD:MW2 - because when people hear Call of Duty, they think of Stalingrad and Berlin.

Price is dead, and I wouldn't have it any other way. He died the ultimate hero's death in COD4, I'd rather not have him show up again "Yeah, I actually lived. Funny story."

The different co-op thing seems a bit iffy, almost like an after thought. WAW really wasn't geared towards co-op but it worked because you were part of the whole thing as a group, a little unit amidst the chaos. Unless there are a lot of one-man solo stealth missions (which would suck) I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I do however love the whole maybe-getting-rid-of-infinite-respawns for enemies. No more getting pinned down and having to restart a level because there's no fucking chance whatsoever of getting out, even once you've killed the entire male population of Eastern Europe. Twice.

Russian terrorist? What the hell?

Still, this game sounds promising; CoD 4 was certainly a great game.

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

SilentHunter7:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

SilentHunter7:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:
WAW was an EPIC FAIL!

Read the bloody information! Its the sequel to COD4 Modern Warfare there is no independent franchise!

Its a spin-off franchise, dude.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.