Sims 3 Leaked Online

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Sims 3 Leaked Online

It looks like The Sims 3 has been leaked onto torrent sites a full two weeks before its scheduled release.

Rumors of the leak were first reported by GamePolitics and while the story is still unconfirmed, Casualgaming.biz says it has identified "a number of trackers" linking to the file, 4.9 gigabytes in size, as well as comments on some trackers discussing Sims 3 gameplay. Several users on The Pirate Bay have claimed that this is in fact the real deal.

Response to the leak from gamers has ranged from disappointment that the game was pirated so early despite EA's greatly softened stance toward DRM to joy that the publisher is being victimized as punishment for its past transgressions. Websites are similarly divided; Casualgaming calls it a "painful and unjust blow" while Romanian site SoftSailor appeared to take a more celebratory approach, saying, "It can't get any better than this for gamers."

EA's recent moves toward DRM detente apparently haven't made much of an impression on the pirate community, although given the high rates of piracy experienced even by vociferously anti-DRM publishers like Stardock, it's not terribly surprising. Despite the high-minded claims of many file-sharers, at the end of the day piracy is about little more than greed and an overinflated sense of entitlement.

Electronic Arts has not yet commented on the alleged leak.

Yep its out.....on the internet.

Wow, first spore, now this. EA you have a leak

Hmmm, i might try it.

how depressing...

DamienHell:

Call the plumber!

ExaltedK9:
how depressing...

I agree. I know the world is filled with all sorts of people, but really. It takes a jerk to pirate games. Whatever happened to supporting things we liked with our money?

Looks exactly the same as the last one to me, I'll pass this time, I think I've drowned enough families.

Ollie596:
Yep its out.....on the internet.

too true...pirate bay has everything...

There's gonna be a bloody witch hunt at EA now.

So what's the word on the street? Is it any good?

Sparrow Tag:

DamienHell:

Call the plumber!

wheres Mario when you need him...?

The sims 3 will still make enough money to buy half of England, at work we sold 5 computers in the last month alone with the sole intention of using them to play the sims 3. But its the principle that counts and the pirates are encouraging Ea to use Dracaion DRM by doing this sort of thing. They are greedy twats who will happily undermine the cause they and so many of us have worked on.
But its also obvious there is an insider that Ea need to find and fast.

Hithlain:

ExaltedK9:
how depressing...

I agree. I know the world is filled with all sorts of people, but really. It takes a jerk to pirate games. Whatever happened to supporting things we liked with our money?

I wonder how many of those pirates are from countries that typically are high risk for piracy. Though granted you're going to have a whole bunch of people that want something for nothing. Would be nice if EA released a demo for this, but then again Sims wasn't really ever my thing either so meh.

Simalacrum:

Sparrow Tag:

DamienHell:

Call the plumber!

Off saving that bloody princess again...

Seriously this is just crazy. Well EA here is to the next round of incredibly strict DRM.

johnman:
The sims 3 will still make enough money to buy half of England, at work we sold 5 computers in the last month alone with the sole intention of using them to play the sims 3. But its the principle that counts and the pirates are encouraging Ea to use Dracaion DRM by doing this sort of thing. They are greedy twats who will happily undermine the cause they and so many of us have worked on.

I agree with everything you say except I am not so sure where the leak would be because with 2 weeks left that means that the game would have been in pressing already and packaging etc. etc. So who knows where the leak would end up being that will be a fun one for them to track down.

I pre-ordered it when I found out there was no DRM on it. Now, I figure every expansion pack they make for it will involve some insane copy protection... Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

It's sad to see the game getting pirated so early when EA (OF ALL COMPANIES) stepped down from DRMing their games.

Hithlain:

ExaltedK9:
how depressing...

You don't have to be evil to be cheap or want free stuff.
It is a shame people steal things, but this particular situation isn't much to fret over. EA will still make tons of money with this game no matter what.

Malygris:
...while Romanian site SoftSailor appeared to take a more celebratory approach, saying, "It can't get any better than this for gamers."

Maybe it's just the developer in me, but comments like that make me want to murder animals and small children. How, exactly, is it a good thing to have people spend years of their life developing a form of entertainment only to have their hard work leaked and stolen? We bust our asses to pull these things together, but the end-user seems to like to view us as the devil...and you can't help but imagine that we view them the same way at times like this.

piers789:

Simalacrum:

Sparrow Tag:

DamienHell:

Call the plumber!

Oh will he ever learn? Silly Mario :)

I find it strange how EA are now seen as the good guys since they got rid of there DRM and the priates are back to being evil

*sigh* nothing good can come of this, though hopefully they'll find & stamp down on the leak rather than retreat back into their DRM fortress.

mikecoulter:

piers789:

Simalacrum:

Sparrow Tag:

DamienHell:

Call the plumber!

Oh will he ever learn? Silly Mario :)

It must be the shrooms. Those things can get to you.

People seem to be forgetting that this most likely would have happened with or without DRM.

Malygris:

EA's recent moves toward DRM detente apparently haven't made much of an impression on the pirate community, although given the high rates of piracy experienced even by vociferously anti-DRM publishers like Stardock, it's not terribly surprising. Despite the high-minded claims of many file-sharers, at the end of the day piracy is about little more than greed and an overinflated sense of entitlement.

That's quite the opinion given as fact there, Malygris. I'd find it interesting if it didn't so outrightly reject the facts. For instance, there's the fact that everything but everything is torrented. All it takes is one individual acting on what ever whim is driving them. To presume the torrenting of the Sims shows some general predisposition towards greed on the part of the entire pirate community is an unsupported conclusion on your part. You also bring up Demigod, which, you are right to say was highly pirated. But you presume to state ~why~ it was heavily pirated without examining the facts. As was shown by numerous people on the thread you linked to, Demigod did not have a demo, as is usual for MMOs. Many people simply wanted a try before they buy. And low and behold, the fact that you're avoiding here is Demigod was a major commercial success.

Malygris, your editorial spin is bordering on personal vendetta. But, unfortunately, as much as you'd like to ignore them, you cannot avoid the facts.

Nimbus:
People seem to be forgetting that this most likely would have happened with or without DRM.

No, angry anti-piracy advocates here are willfully ignoring the fact that this would have happened with or without DRM.

Malygris:
Despite the high-minded claims of many file-sharers, at the end of the day piracy is about little more than greed and an overinflated sense of entitlement.

Really? Do you have a source for this information? Oh... you don't? So, it was just an opinion of yours? Weird, why did you state it as a fact?

It's incredibly hard to take anything you say seriously when you go and inject your own high-minded claims into your editorials.

Ragdrazi:

Malygris:

That's quite the opinion given as fact there, Malygris. I'd find it interesting if it didn't so outrightly reject the facts. For instance, there's the fact that everything but everything is torrented. All it takes is one individual acting on what ever whim is driving them. To presume the torrenting of the Sims shows some general predisposition towards greed on the part of the entire pirate community is an unsupported conclusion on your part. You also bring up Demigod, which, you are right to say was highly pirated. But you presume to state ~why~ it was heavily pirated without examining the facts. As was shown by numerous people on the thread you linked to, Demigod did not have a demo, as is usual for MMOs. Many people simply wanted a try before they buy. And low and behold, the fact that you're avoiding here is Demigod was a major commercial success.

Malygris, your editorial spin is bordering on personal vendetta. But, unfortunately, as much as you'd like to ignore them, you cannot avoid the facts.

Just wanted to say, I completely agree. And well said.

johnman:

Now, wait a second. First of all, we all know the Sims will be a major commercial success. But you're saying greedy pirates are encouraging DRM? Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but DRM writes an image to the disk that prevents the program from being installed more than three times. That does absolutely nothing to prevent piracy, and, instead, it prevents the game from being resold in legitimate second hand game markets. The Sims is going to be a major commercial success, and you're saying they're going to use that success as an excuse to destroy a legitimate market? But... the pirates here are greedy. Explain all this to me, and try to make it make sense this time.

PeaceFistCreations:

Hithlain:

ExaltedK9:
how depressing...

You don't have to be evil to be cheap or want free stuff.
It is a shame people steal things, but this particular situation isn't much to fret over. EA will still make tons of money with this game no matter what.

That's exactly the thing that I detest. Sure, they are going to be making money hand over fist, but if you WANT the game shouldn't you be doing the right thing and buy it? I mean, I don't mind it if they take older games that really aren't worth buying anymore, but this game hasn't even been released yet!

If you like the game, if you want the game, if you want it so bad that you download it early or pirate it, shouldn't you be giving your money to the company in order to say "yes, I want more of these games"? I'm an economist, so I know firsthand that the information that companies use to determine what games to make next is the PROFIT. Your contribution may be small but you are voting for more of the same with your money. Think of all the lost sales over the years....

This thread confuses me. With or without DRM it was still going to end up on the internet. With or without a leak it was going to end up on the internet anyways. This leak isn't going to hurt sales anymore than if there was no leak. Sorry for the people who know nothign about piracy, but everyone downloading it now was just going to download it a couple hours after it would have been released anyways.
People make the confusion that it is theft, and not just copyright infringement. If piracy didn't exist, all the downloaded copies wouldn't suddenly translate to sales. Not everyone who downloads something was going to buy it anyways. In fact there is probably very few down loaders now that ever had the intention of buying it. It is still going to sell really well and make massive amounts of money.

Hithlain:
I'm an economist, so I know firsthand that the information that companies use to determine what games to make next is the PROFIT. Your contribution may be small but you are voting for more of the same with your money. Think of all the lost sales over the years....

As an economist who is opposed to piracy, surely you must also be decrying the terrible effect our public library systems can have on book sales. Surely.

Sparrow Tag:

DamienHell:

Call the plumber!

Mario gave up.

Ragdrazi:

Hithlain:
I'm an economist, so I know firsthand that the information that companies use to determine what games to make next is the PROFIT. Your contribution may be small but you are voting for more of the same with your money. Think of all the lost sales over the years....

As an economist who is opposed to piracy, surely you must also be decrying the terrible effect our public library systems can have on book sales. Surely.

To even go a bit further, I can borrow video games from my library. Although their selection, last time I looked, was rather weak.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here