Sims 3 Leaked Online

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I couldn't care less for Sims 3. I won't buy it. I won't pirate it. Gentleman, it's all yours.

Y'know. I think I might just go out and buy Sims 3.

I had no intention of doing it. But seeing EA do us all a favour and then get kicked in the nads for it. It just sickens me.

People seem to think that Malygris is being uppity for putting in a anti-piracy statement.

Well, maybe he'll be a little less angry when pirates actually stop pirating for pirating's sake: AKA being unwilling to lay down money for any game.

The point he was trying to make was that pirates haven't stopped pirating despite having most legitimate reasons to do so removed (demos are commmon, free trials are common, yadda yadda yadda).

Also, good companies like Stardock take just as much punishment as bad ones like EA. And when these companies show some remorse and try to change, what happens? MORE PIRACY. Wow, way to show them that they did the right thing in making games with no DRM...

scotth266:
People seem to think that Malygris is being uppity for putting in a anti-piracy statement.

Well, maybe he'll be a little less angry when pirates actually stop pirating for pirating's sake: AKA being unwilling to lay down money for any game.

The point he was trying to make was that pirates haven't stopped pirating despite having most legitimate reasons to do so removed (demos are commmon, free trials are common, yadda yadda yadda).

Also, good companies like Stardock take just as much punishment as bad ones like EA. And when these companies show some remorse and try to change, what happens? MORE PIRACY. Wow, way to show them that they did the right thing in making games with no DRM...

Yeah.. I won't be pissed at publishers if they go totalitarian lockdown on games after this BS. You can't say you're making a statement by downloading a game and then not stop when the statement has been heard and things have changed for the better.

I may have to go check Demonoid =/

Now now, if we don't download it we don't have to play it.

I'm actually glad its been leaked. I was all set to buy it feb 20th. I was psyched to buy it because it was and still is the only video game I've been looking forward to this entire year. But then they pushed it back to june for no other reason than to increase hype. I'm glad it leaked.

I'm still probably going to end up buying it instead of downloading it, but still. Total dick move on their part.

scotth266:

I check books out from the library for checking out books from the library's sake. AKA having no intention of ever purchasing the book.

What I find interesting about Malygris is that he's so fervently pro-copyright, but so fervently anti-patent.

Sparrow Tag:

DamienHell:
Wow, first spore, now this. EA you have a leak

Call the plumber!

At their prices, call me, Bodge Job Dan.

Ignore this post please, deleting it would be nice too.

Wow, I guess that everyone who said that they pirated games just to show defiance to DRM can step off their pedestals now.

Ragdrazi:

I check books out from the library for checking out books from the library's sake. AKA having no intention of ever purchasing the book.

What I find interesting about Malygris is that he's so fervently pro-copyright, but so fervently anti-patent.

That's an entirely different animal there, so I'm not quite sure how that applies to this situation.

You also linked to a article about a blatantly ridiculous patent, which is the reason for his disdain. I'm sure he would style his writing to look anti-lawsuit if he had to do an article on something like the McDonalds coffee case.

Brotherofwill:
So what's the word on the street? Is it any good?

My thoughts exactly. I love the sims 1 and 2 but after spore I'm just a little bit cautious to say the least.

RollForInitiative:

Malygris:
...while Romanian site SoftSailor appeared to take a more celebratory approach, saying, "It can't get any better than this for gamers."

Maybe it's just the developer in me, but comments like that make me want to murder animals and small children. How, exactly, is it a good thing to have people spend years of their life developing a form of entertainment only to have their hard work leaked and stolen? We bust our asses to pull these things together, but the end-user seems to like to view us as the devil...and you can't help but imagine that we view them the same way at times like this.

I'm willing to bet the majority of the downloaders aren't people who would have purchased the game anyway. I myself have no desire to buy or play this game, if someone gave me a pirated copy I might load it up and kill a few sims before uninstalling and forgetting about it and its likely anyone going to PirateBay for a copy of The Sims probably feels the same way.

Lets be honest, The Sims is a glorified doll house, nothing more.

Here EA punished legit buyers with their DRM, and here we have strong evidence that they got someone in their own fold leaking out games, which DRM won't stop in the least. Methinks they don't think their own people capable of piracy. And that is sad. Wonder if it's really worth the risk of downloading? There's an idea for a job, Pirated Software Reviewer. Hey Escapist, got a spot open for that? Heh

Now you see, I don't think it's the developed world that's doing this, yet we are punished for it. There'll always be a baseline of piracy sourced from the less developed countries of the world, and that can't be stopped. I think that most of us don't pirate on this scale, if at all, and yet we're punished for it.

I'm also very tired and bad at expanding my points, but you get the jist of it.

Yeah yeah, The Sims has a generally casual audience, the ones more likely to purchase. Thus, it's STILL going to sell well when it comes out.

As a side note, I find it ironic EA focused on adding a kleptomaniac stat to the characters. Anyone else noticed that?

What I would like to believe is that those who are pirating it now will buy it when it later if they like playing it.

With regards to "they reduce DRM and people still pirate it": People have been annoyed by the DRM that EA applies to its games for years; they will not gain any goodwill over-night. It may require years before anyone pirating their games (who may well have legitimately purchased previous games and been screwed by DRM) will feel any sympathy.
For instance, I purchased Mass Effect (long after it was released, so I could certainly have pirated it instead). Played through it and enjoyed it. Then Windows 7 Beta came along, and I wanted to use that, so I downloaded it, and reinstalled Mass Effect. Now RC is out and I'm using that. But I'm not sure I want to install Mass Effect, because I will quickly run out of installations.
Honestly, if I can get a quality pirated version of The Sims 3, I will not buy it. They may get me back as a customer at some point, but it wont be for a while.

Hithlain:

ExaltedK9:
how depressing...

I agree. I know the world is filled with all sorts of people, but really. It takes a jerk to pirate games. Whatever happened to supporting things we liked with our money?

And given this one doesn't even have DRM, they don't even have the 'pirating to avoid DRM' argument to stand on. Hang your head in shame pirates.

Actually, I think that this leak could be a good thing. Think about it: we all know that a Sims game is going to sell craploads of units anyway, right? And that no matter what EA did on the DRM front, it'd end up on the Internet anyway, right?

So what's happening here is that the game leaks to the Net 2 weeks before release, and yet still will end up selling boatloads on release day. This should prove to everyone that piracy is inevitable but it doesn't end up hurting real sales anywhere near as much as some people want to claim (or indeed possibly at all).

runtheplacered:

Malygris:
Despite the high-minded claims of many file-sharers, at the end of the day piracy is about little more than greed and an overinflated sense of entitlement.

Really? Do you have a source for this information? Oh... you don't? So, it was just an opinion of yours? Weird, why did you state it as a fact?

It's incredibly hard to take anything you say seriously when you go and inject your own high-minded claims into your editorials.

so its about need?

Haxordude:
Wow, I guess that everyone who said that they pirated games just to show defiance to DRM can step off their pedestals now.

How's that again? How do the actions of one leaker, speak for a plethora of people angry about DRM?

scotth266:

Ragdrazi:

That's an entirely different animal there, so I'm not quite sure how that applies to this situation.

You also linked to a article about a blatantly ridiculous patent, which is the reason for his disdain. I'm sure he would style his writing to look anti-lawsuit if he had to do an article on something like the McDonalds coffee case.

How exactly are libraries different animals. Explain to me what is the major structural difference that gives libraries their licensed and legal distribution, but not torrents. Try it.

Actually, when one examines the facts of the McDonalds coffee case, one finds that the coffee in question was actually kept at temperatures about two degrees below boiling, and that the lady involved received both first and second degree burns for the incident.

As far as how ridiculous or not that claim is, the fact remains that in his editorial's Malygris is quite willing to apply one standard to copyright claims and another to patent.

samsonguy920:
Here EA punished legit buyers with their DRM, and here we have strong evidence that they got someone in their own fold leaking out games, which DRM won't stop in the least.

Yeah. Huh. Look at that. Wonder if that means anything interesting.

Doug:

Hithlain:

ExaltedK9:
how depressing...

I agree. I know the world is filled with all sorts of people, but really. It takes a jerk to pirate games. Whatever happened to supporting things we liked with our money?

And given this one doesn't even have DRM, they don't even have the 'pirating to avoid DRM' argument to stand on. Hang your head in shame member of EA's staff who is a pirate.

I fixed the end of your post for you there.

Leorex:

runtheplacered:

It's incredibly hard to take anything you say seriously when you go and inject your own high-minded claims into your editorials.

so its about need?

I don't know. Sometimes I need to check out a book from the library. Sometimes I'm just reading for fun.

Ragdrazi:

Leorex:

runtheplacered:

so its about need?

I don't know. Sometimes I need to check out a book from the library. Sometimes I'm just reading for fun.

your totally right, they might need it for school.

Ragdrazi:
Snip.

Guh. Ok then, let's get started:

Libraries purchase the books, own the books, you borrow them, and return them within a specific time, lest you be fined. And if a copy goes missing, they have to buy another one. The library's copies were purchased by someone, so the writer does make money off them.

Piracy, on the other hand, means you take the games you want, keep them however long you want, you are fined nothing, and the developers made money off of MAYBE one copy, presuming that said the cracked disc wasn't stolen. Hell, EA has made 0 sales of Sims 3, and already had how many copies pirated now? And how many of these pirates are pirating just to get the game for free? It's the equivalent of running up to a store filled with DVD's, smashing the window, grabbing all the shiny shit, and running away.

As for the McDonalds coffee case: DUH. HOT COFFEE IS HOT. DUR. You have to heat the water that much for ANY cup of coffee, at least if you want a good cup and not a cup filled with swill.

And I stand firm. If you don't like Malygris' writing style, write some news articles yourself. I'd be glad to rip you apart for sticking your opinion at the bottom.

Yay pirates!

Leorex:

Ragdrazi:

Leorex:

runtheplacered:

so its about need?

your totally right, they might need it for school.

Leorex, I really want to start a slow clap for you here. Those are two of the most badass posts I have ever seen.

This just supports my belief that pirates are EVIL!!!

Ragdrazi:
Malygris, your editorial spin is bordering on personal vendetta. But, unfortunately, as much as you'd like to ignore them, you cannot avoid the facts.

If you can point out to me any major motivations for piracy beyond greed and an overinflated sense of entitlement, go ahead. If not, you're welcome to your opinion but don't expect any credibility to come of it, or that I'll waste my time on it.

This is rather depressing.

Also, I like Malygris' writing style. I am smart enough to differentiate opinion from fact.

scotth266:

Ragdrazi:
Snip.

As for the McDonalds coffee case: DUH. HOT COFFEE IS HOT. DUR. You have to heat the water that much for ANY cup of coffee, at least if you want a good cup and not a cup filled with swill.

Actually you're not supposed to boil water for coffee, the grounds get burn and it throws the whole taste off. Most "bad" coffee you'll probably find has been boiled or old and stale.

On topic, I am downloading it and if I like it or play for more than ten hours I will buy it. I try to support games I like, I have at least two copies of everything Introversion has done, and 409 game in my Eurogamer profile and that not including the games too old to be in their database, so no-one can call me cheap if I don't buy this. I'm disabled and live on benefits, money's tight.

Edit: Probably buy esp. if they do a Stardock "free content to buyers" thing. Also my bother will want it.

MrCrun:

Actually you're not supposed to boil water for coffee, the grounds get burn and it throws the whole taste off. Most "bad" coffee you'll probably find has been boiled or old and stale.

I was trying to make the point that coffee is supposed to be VERY hot to start with. And the woman puts this in her lap? Not a good move according to common sense... and yet she was able to sue them for millions.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here