Sims 3 Leaked Online

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

People disgust me. I wish they'd tell the real reason they're pirating. They're hiding behind the false sense of justice of screwing the evil company, and when said company tries to turn around, they stab them in the side. Oi. Sad to be a gamer sometimes.

Malygris:
Sims 3 Leaked Online

It looks like The Sims 3 has been leaked onto torrent sites a full two weeks before its scheduled release.

Rumors of the leak were first reported by GamePolitics and while the story is still unconfirmed, Casualgaming.biz says it has identified "a number of trackers" linking to the file, 4.9 gigabytes in size, as well as comments on some trackers discussing Sims 3 gameplay. Several users on The Pirate Bay have claimed that this is in fact the real deal.

Response to the leak from gamers has ranged from disappointment that the game was pirated so early despite EA's greatly softened stance toward DRM to joy that the publisher is being victimized as punishment for its past transgressions. Websites are similarly divided; Casualgaming calls it a "painful and unjust blow" while Romanian site SoftSailor appeared to take a more celebratory approach, saying, "It can't get any better than this for gamers."

EA's recent moves toward DRM detente apparently haven't made much of an impression on the pirate community, although given the high rates of piracy experienced even by vociferously anti-DRM publishers like Stardock, it's not terribly surprising. Despite the high-minded claims of many file-sharers, at the end of the day piracy is about little more than greed and an overinflated sense of entitlement.

Electronic Arts has not yet commented on the alleged leak.

This is extremly depressing news. We're shooting down our arguement that DRM, SecuROM even, are not needed. Trust the gamers and they'll trust you back. Apparently this is not the case, as I have also witnessed first hand what happened with Demigod. People will say that they are trying out the game and everything like that, but at the end of the day stealing is stealing.

Stealing is wrong, no matter what way you look at it. You're stealing a product in a time of economic crisis and are only encouraging it to get worse. Peoples lives depend on the income they get, sometimes even on the bonuses themselves when their contract allows it. Read the appeal when playing Unreal Tournament 3 when it starts, it's very serious business.

This will only encourage developers and publishers to justify their claim that nasty DRM is needed to protect their property, and we'll have no one to blame but ourselves. At this point, when it does happen I will just smile because everything happened justly, fairly and we deserve it because some of us are in the wrong.

Also karma is a bitch and if this happens to me in a few years I swear to god I will get their addresses from their ISPs and go total Postal all over them. Forget suiting them, I'm going to maim their puppy and literally take the piss on them.

scotth266:

MrCrun:

Actually you're not supposed to boil water for coffee, the grounds get burn and it throws the whole taste off. Most "bad" coffee you'll probably find has been boiled or old and stale.

I was trying to make the point that coffee is supposed to be VERY hot to start with. And the woman puts this in her lap? Not a good move according to common sense... and yet she was able to sue them for millions.

The reason it even got to be a big deal, was because she was wearing cotten sweatpants, which makes it even worse.. and was trying to take the lid off to add cream and sugar. (pretty sure now most mcdonalds will add the cream and sugar in for you before you even get the coffee, because of this.)

Mcdonalds really did serve their coffee about 40 degrees hotter then most places would serve their coffee, which resulted in some very bad burns, actually. This was found as negligence on their part for not making a big enough deal about it (i.e., the warning was too small). And there you have it. I don't remember how much she ended up getting. But I'm pretty sure it was closer to a half a million dollars, then a million, if memory serves.

To anyone who pirated this, Fuck you! Support EA They made a step to not put that shit on there and you Give them a reason to do it, I just hope the Escapist community can see how fucked up this is and not parttake.

runtheplacered:
Snip.

It's been a while since I read the details of that case, so I'm probably wrong about the numbers. It's still just ridiculous though... I mean, would YOU stick a cup filled with a hot substance betwixt your legs? Especially in a vehicle? It makes no sense whatsoever.

well the test here isnt to see how many times its pirated since its low on drm the test is to see how much money it makes despite being pirated, if it does well and has little drm then chances are even with piracy ea will keep a light stance on drm but if they can activly say that piracy has really hurt sales then the chances of seeing dragon age with very light drm goes well down

scotth266:

runtheplacered:
Snip.

It's been a while since I read the details of that case, so I'm probably wrong about the numbers. It's still just ridiculous though... I mean, would YOU stick a cup filled with a hot substance betwixt your legs? Especially in a vehicle? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Neither does making coffee so hot that it melts skin. And the vehicle wasn't in motion at the time; she spilled the coffee trying to get the lid off.

hm first spore was leaked, now this. It would appear that pirates have infiltrated EA. Lets hope that they handle this in the same way that the Disney corporation deals with those who betray the company.

Hithlain:

PeaceFistCreations:

Hithlain:

ExaltedK9:
how depressing...

I agree. I know the world is filled with all sorts of people, but really. It takes a jerk to pirate games. Whatever happened to supporting things we liked with our money?

You don't have to be evil to be cheap or want free stuff.
It is a shame people steal things, but this particular situation isn't much to fret over. EA will still make tons of money with this game no matter what.

That's exactly the thing that I detest. Sure, they are going to be making money hand over fist, but if you WANT the game shouldn't you be doing the right thing and buy it? I mean, I don't mind it if they take older games that really aren't worth buying anymore, but this game hasn't even been released yet!

If you like the game, if you want the game, if you want it so bad that you download it early or pirate it, shouldn't you be giving your money to the company in order to say "yes, I want more of these games"? I'm an economist, so I know firsthand that the information that companies use to determine what games to make next is the PROFIT. Your contribution may be small but you are voting for more of the same with your money. Think of all the lost sales over the years....

Oh my. You poor little innocent thing. If only you knew...

Hankage:

scotth266:

runtheplacered:
Snip.

Neither does making coffee so hot that it melts skin. And the vehicle wasn't in motion at the time; she spilled the coffee trying to get the lid off.

just what are you guys talking about anyway?

and I wasn't that interested in buying the Sims 3 anyway but considering I bought Spore and had some sumofa***** steal my product key using a key generator, I support EA in fighting piracy

Four days from now, the secret program EA snuck into the so-called 'leaked' copy of the game will become self-aware, and unleash hell onto the earth.

I am at a loss at what hot coffee has to do with software piracy? Is it possible we got off topic here?

You can't criticise people for downloading a torrent when the game isn't even available to buy yet.
Jeez sometimes this site's anti-piracy leanings are ridiculous.

(By the way, this is probably just my "overinflated sense of entitlement" talking...)

harhol:
You can't criticise people for downloading a torrent when the game isn't even available to buy yet.

(By the way, this is probably just my "overinflated sense of entitlement" talking...)

yah it is your over inflated sense of entitlement, just because you cant buy it yet dosent give you a free pass.

the liquer stores arnt open on sundays, dose that mean i can break into them?

Leorex:

harhol:

yah it is your over inflated sense of entitlement, just because you cant buy it yet dosent give you a free pass.

the liquer stores arnt open on sundays, dose that mean i can break into them?

Irrelevant, the Internet is a 24-hour McDonald's; complete anonymity, a sense of shame, and it makes your arteries clog and your thighs widen.

First Meet The Spy, now Sims 3...I think the internet has a Spy.

it'll probably take till the release date to download anyway, better get there quick, i'm just joking

Unsurprised but still saddened.

I'm beginning they should hit up Mr. Young's idea of imprinting the copies released early (to reviewers and the like) to find who is leaking their products.

Ragdrazi:
Malygris, your editorial spin is bordering on personal vendetta. But, unfortunately, as much as you'd like to ignore them, you cannot avoid the facts.

Here's a fact for you: piracy is stealing.

And if you're not stealing to eat, then you clearly have an over inflated sense of self entitlement.

The concept of an 'over-inflated sense of entitlement' really goes all around. Way to overgeneralize. Way to see it no other way.

The bottom line is that some people really like to get on a moral high-horse whenever given the chance. Burn the Witch! Burn the Witch! IMO, that's just as bad as the people they are haranguing. Maybe worse.

And just some educational 101 for some peeps out there: DRM in absolutely -no way- hinders pirates. It only affects legitimate buyers. It's for this reason, that I oppose DRM

antipunt:
The bottom line is that some people really like to get on a moral high-horse whenever given the chance. Burn the Witch! Burn the Witch! IMO, that's just as bad as the people they are haranguing. Maybe worse.

Do you mean me talking about pirates from my high horse? Or the pirates complaining about EA and the DRM from their high horse? Everyone always thinks they're on the moral high ground.

Hydrus:

antipunt:

Do you mean me talking about pirates from my high horse? Or the pirates complaining about EA and the DRM from their high horse? Everyone always thinks they're on the moral high ground.

I didn't even really see your post was above mine, sorry if you took it that way =P

But you were right on the last sentence. I meant both sides. Though admittedly I was especially directing this at the OP because he/she wasn't really being fair/ level-headed

I may be a little cynical here, but does anybody think EA leaked this on purpose?

You know, so they can point to this as an example and go back to using DRM while claiming they're the victim? It's a little short term loss for what they see as the long term protection of profits in the future.

scotth266:

Guh. Ok then, let's get started:

Libraries purchase the books, own the books, you borrow them, and return them within a specific time, lest you be fined. And if a copy goes missing, they have to buy another one. The library's copies were purchased by someone, so the writer does make money off them.

And with a few high profile and fairly indefensible exceptions so do torrents.

scotth266:
Piracy, on the other hand, means you take the games you want, keep them however long you want, you are fined nothing,

As you are with library books, provided you renew within the time allotted. These are minor differences, however, relating to the fact that libraries deal in physical objects. If a torrent file required you to re-seed your file ever month, it would still be considered illegal distribution.

scotth266:
Hell, EA has made 0 sales of Sims 3, and already had how many copies pirated now?

This is rare. And due to the actions of an EA employee.

scotth266:
And how many of these pirates are pirating just to get the game for free?

How many people are checking out books from the library just to read them for free. Because, seriously, is it just me?

scotth266:
It's the equivalent of running up to a store filled with DVD's, smashing the window, grabbing all the shiny shit, and running away.

Under no legal standard are those equivalent. Not even the expanded, essentially illegal standards the IFPI is pushing for right now are those equivalent. The crime of piracy is illegal distribution. Torrents produce a product that is considered under the law to be unique from any DVD. The only reason the distribution of that product is illegal is because the product violates copyrights. This is essential to understand, because the idea that one downloaded file is one lost sale is not a legal concept. Under the law, the only reason a downloaded DVD is illegal is because it is too similar to the actual DVD.

The idea that a download equals a lost sale is not only unprovable, not only ridiculous, but it is simply not true in the eyes of the law.

scotth266:
As for the McDonalds coffee case: DUH. HOT COFFEE IS HOT. DUR. You have to heat the water that much for ANY cup of coffee, at least if you want a good cup and not a cup filled with swill.

I checked the wiki. The coffee was at 180 degrees. She received not first and second degree burns from the spill, but first, second, and third degree burn. A third degree burn is a burn that has cooked the skin so far that no nerves remain. She had to undergo skin grafts. I live in Seattle, I've had plenty of fresh coffee spilled on me. Never been that hot.

scotth266:
And I stand firm.

No, you reject facts out of hand. There is, most definitely, a difference. And it's not a small one.

scotth266:
If you don't like Malygris' writing style, write some news articles yourself. I'd be glad to rip you apart for sticking your opinion at the bottom.

And I do, and I do. But the difference between Malygris and one, I'm just a poster on here, so I'm not going to presume that what I'm doing is legitimate reporting, and two, I know when to use the word "seemed".

Hankage:

The point still stands: one should not stick hot substances between ones legs... Though the melting skin bit is silly too. So everyone in this situation is to blame.

Hey Joe:
I may be a little cynical here, but does anybody think EA leaked this on purpose?

You know, so they can point to this as an example and go back to using DRM while claiming they're the victim? It's a little short term loss for what they see as the long term protection of profits in the future.

God, that would be both the coolest and the most evil bit of EA news I'd ever hear... It makes a scary sort of sense.

Ragdrazi:
Snip

You know what? When you typed the sentence that said: Pirated copies != lost sales, you lost what little credibility I had given you.

That's a blatant bit of silliness. I mean, really now. How can pirated copies not equal lost sales? It just doesn't make sense from a buisness perspective.

Hey Joe:

That's what I thought too, as do a lot of people I assume. I can't for the life of me imagine that something as important as a Sims game would have this little security. It makes sense for them to 'leak' it themselves, already the publicity that they get through this is good (have you heard anyone talking about this game prior to this?). The only questions that remains is:

Are they really that evil?

scotth266:

Ragdrazi:
Snip

You know what? When you typed the sentence that said: Pirated copies != lost sales, you lost what little credibility I had given you.

That's a blatant bit of silliness. I mean, really now. How can pirated copies not equal lost sales? It just doesn't make sense from a buisness perspective.

Heh, "but they weren't gonna buy it anyway", I hate that line drives me nuts, if your not gonna buy it then you have no right to possess it. But people who steal things will do anything to justify it, be it though some asinine IP or ownership argument or say it's cause of DRM or "demo".

Brotherofwill:

Hey Joe:

That's what I thought too, as do a lot of people I assume. I can't for the life of me imagine that something as important as a Sims game would have this little security. It makes sense for them to 'leak' it themselves, already the publicity that they get through this is good (have you heard anyone talking about this game prior to this?). The only questions that remains is:

The game is prolly shipped already, we at target got Halo 3 and GTA 4 a week or two in advance so all it takes is someone at a DC or anywhere along the logistics process to lift it and put it up. I don't think that it's EA that did this.

sneakypenguin:

Brotherofwill:

Hey Joe:

The game is prolly shipped already, we at target got Halo 3 and GTA 4 a week or two in advance so all it takes is someone at a DC or anywhere along the logistics process to lift it and put it up. I don't think that it's EA that did this.

Shhh! Be quiet!

Let me indulge in my "EA are evil tyrants" fantasy a little longer :D
I wasn't aware that the game was this close to shipping or retail, makes it even stranger that hardly anyone is talking about it.

Ghehe yeah I saw it one or two days ago on a reliable torrent site. I didn't pirate it, not specifically because I'm a good boy, but more because I am not going to touch it even if it was given to me. Still, I was surprised to see it so soon, without even knowing it was going to be published!

This leak could hurt the sale of the game. Consider all those kids playing it, realising it sucks big time (big prejudice, I know), and saying to everybody not to buy the game. Sims 3 can be condemned even before it is released properly!

That, or it might actually be good, and the official sales can be higher than ever. What in fact if this is leaked on purpose? In stead of spending millions on a PR campaign, why not let it out to the public, create a major media buzz because your game is being pirated before release, and voila! Free publicity!

Sigenrecht:

Irrelevant, the Internet is a 24-hour McDonald's; complete anonymity, a sense of shame, and it makes your arteries clog and your thighs widen.

Complete anonymity? You do know how IP addresses work, right?

ExaltedK9:
how depressing...

Pfft, why? EA is getting what they deserve for wielding some of the biggest DRM overkill ever beheld by man. The game will still sell millions upon millions of copies at full retail price, so why be depressed?

Yeah. It's not like it is some minor game or anything. How many times are we going to repeat it though? Piracy is totally irrelevant with DRM.

DamienHell:
Wow, first spore, now this. EA you have a leak

Ye it is starting to seem a tad suspicious.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here