Secret of Monkey Island Coming to Xbox Live

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Secret of Monkey Island Coming to Xbox Live

LucasArts is releasing a "special edition" of The Secret of Monkey Island for the Xbox 360, introducing a new generation of gamers to one of the most beloved adventure franchises of all time.

The existence of The Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition was revealed by the USK, Germany's videogame rating agency, which posted an entry for the game on its website. A search on the USK site now comes up empty but Adventure Gamers claims it has received independent confirmation, albeit unofficially, that the upcoming game is real. The new version will apparently be an Xbox Live Arcade title and will not get a retail release.

Originally released in 1990 for the PC, Amiga and Atari ST, The Secret of Monkey Island was one of the famous SCUMM games released during LucasArts' heyday and became the starting point for the company's most well-known series of adventure games. Whether the new release will include enhancements like updated graphics or voice acting (which didn't actually appear until The Curse of Monkey Island, the third game in the series) is unknown, but LucasArts will hopefully offer up a few more details in an official announcement at E3.

Dare we hope that LucasArts is ready to acknowledging that they're tired of flogging the Star Wars horse? This may not be a brand-new, all-original addition to the Monkey Island story but it's sure a step in the right direction. Xbox owners, you're in for a treat.

Hmm...voice in Secret... would be awesome indeed.

now I'll finally be able to own this game.

This is so crazy it just might WORK !

Come back Lucas Arts!! Come Back!!!

I cannot wait. I lost almost all of my Lucas Arts adventure games. All I have left is The Curse of Monkey Island...

I have heard so many people saying how great this game is and now I can finally play it. Will we be able to use a mouse with it?

May I dare to hope that this is a precusor to Monkey Island 5 being announced?

...just as long as it's not XBox exclusive... (the Wii is perfect for point and click games!)

Ahhh this takes me back to when I was a kid. Great game hilarious. I don't have an Xbox though so I'll just have to be happy knowing that it is there.

Yay! Fond memories of this franchise when I was on an older IBM x486 with 6MB ram! Hopefully this will open the door for 'Loom' (another LA classic) as well.

This is the best news I've heard all day. I will be buying that as soon as it comes out. Ahh the memories...

If this actually happens, we all have to join hands and sing to the Aether.

Hands-up who remembers the ten-disk Amiga version
:D

Oh fucking yes! Finally, a revival! Perhaps this will stimulate other developers to make more similar adventure games. I sure fucking hope so. Though I wonder what on earth could make Lucasarts actually show some goddamned attention towards their old adventure games? Since they've been blindly avoiding any contact with any of their non-starwars related game over the past decade or so, I wonder what has made them change their mind and realize how dumb they were to just close off the franchise. A new game on the DS would be amazing. And Ron Gilbert himself has said in an interview he'd like to finish the original Monkey Island saga (since the third game wasn't made by him).

oliveira8:
Hmm...voice in Secret... would be awesome indeed.

There's already an independent group working on that very same project and has a couple of trailers too. But they're far from done. Though you can nicely follow their progress on their site.

I have only two extra things I'd like to see.

1. if its gonna be in HD, a PC version for me please!
2. All the other adventure games you have locked up in that Indiana Jones style vault.

Andy_Panthro:

2. All the other adventure games you have locked up in that Indiana Jones style vault.

I was thinking this exact same thing - how awesome would it be if they followed up with XBL releases of all their classic adventure games - Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango. I'm giddy at the thought!

There's a thriving indie adventure game scene. If you want to point & click, play those. Lining the pockets of modern-day Lucas Arts for the sake of nostalgia is not something I can endorse.

How will this work on the 360? Use an analog stick to move a pointer?? No way! If this is coming to xbla then it perhaps will come to the Wii, which has a controller that can work perfect for any p&c adventure game. Of course, rumor has it the 360 will have a motion controller of it's own soon, so maybe this game will come to xbla with a mouse substitute that works.

btw: what's with Day of the Tentacle? I played it, it wasn't that good. Zak, Maniac Mansion, Indy, Monkey... these games were sooooo much better but DotT seems to be the popular game in the adv genre of it's time.

ThaBenMan:

Andy_Panthro:

I was thinking this exact same thing - how awesome would it be if they followed up with XBL releases of all their classic adventure games - Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango. I'm giddy at the thought!

...Fate of Atlantis is going to be a bonus unlockable in the new Indiana Jones game for Wii.

Hoo boy, adventure gamers get a huge boost here. And this thing is perfect: exactly the sort of stuff the 360 arcade needs. I want to see some of the ones I missed out on...

Awesome, I've heard this game was good so I can't wait to try it!

I doubt lucasarts has changed it's ways. I mean, it doesn't take much effort on it's part to rerelease a game from the early 1990's, and they've been noticably shitting on their adventure game fans(and employees) the last few years, both with the development, then sudden cancellation of Sam and Max and Full Throttle 2.

At which point, their adventure game programmers from the old days got pissed off and quit so they could go and form companies like TellTale and Doublefine, which would then proceed to make Awesome games like lucasarts used to make but without the retarded chimp "Star Wars=$$$$$" executives to contend with.

harhol:
There's a thriving indie adventure game scene. If you want to point & click, play those. Lining the pockets of modern-day Lucas Arts for the sake of nostalgia is not something I can endorse.

QFT. At this point, I actually endorse pirating the classics and playing them through ScummVM.

Freakin' sweet! I will certainly have some nostalgic fun with this.

XPelargos:

QFT. At this point, I actually endorse pirating the classics and playing them through ScummVM.

Can you even buy them from anywhere though now? Or ScummVM-DS and play on your NDS ;_;

RockWhore:
Freakin' sweet! I will certainly have some nostalgic fun with this.

XPelargos:

Can you even buy them from anywhere though now? Or ScummVM-DS and play on your NDS ;_;

Exactly my point. I've seen boxed editions of classic adventure games for exhorbitant sums on e-bay.

This brings up an issue with copyright and the internet. The term "abandonware" refers to software that is no longer supported or available from the publisher. At this point, it becomes nearly impossible to procure, and the publisher is certainly not losing money from pirating old old software. I'm rather proud of myself for tracking down the FM-Towns versions of Zak McKracken and Loom. Props to anyone who can find legitimate copies of those.

For you XBOX owners out there waiting to give this a try.. Please be patient. These games aren't renowned because they were easy. Still, it's cool you're given the chance to play this gem, hopefully for you the other games will come out too!

I bet all the xbox kiddies are going to hate it because, well its actually a good game that was well put together. No shiny graphics here. Those kids love mediocrity. Still, I would love a monkey island anthology set, sort of what interplay did for fallout.

I went through a bit of a retro adventure game phase about a year ago and managed to buy all the Broken Sword series, Curse of Monkey Island & Escape from Monkey Island - I couldn't for the life of me find Secret of Monkey Island or Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge though. Luckily a friend already had them so got it working on the NDS.

It was great to play through them again, the dialogue is brilliant and I have to say Dominic Armato did a fantastic job of Guybrush. I just hope they can get him back for another ;_;

Every 360-owner who hasn't got this game yet: take your chance now! The dialogue is very funny and well put togheter and the puzzles are great. One of my favourite games of all time.

They'd better update the graphics and include voice acting, otherwise there would be absolutely no point in buying it, since it's been free to download (legally) on Fileplanet for years. But if it does actually update the game, then I'm all for it.

ThaBenMan:

Andy_Panthro:

Somehow I doubt they'd release FullThrottle, Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango on the 360, considering how Microsoft crippled Psychonauts.

This thread actually makes me happy and sad. I'm happy that more people will get the chance to play such a great game, but it makes me sad that the genre is pretty much dead.

I bent over backwards to buy the first two online, Cannot find the third one though.

Indigo_Dingo:

ThaBenMan:

Andy_Panthro:

Somehow I doubt they'd release FullThrottle, Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango on the 360, considering how Microsoft crippled Psychonauts.

To be fair to Microsoft, they saw that they were wrong. Pyschonauts is now available as an Xbox Original, and has been for some time.

Wow, Ive been looking for this game for a while now. Finally!

I can only see two things happening with the reintroduction of this game into the current masses.

#1 It will introduce Monkey Island's fantastic script and story to a whole new generation of gamers where gaming is more widely accepted and possibly generate enough interest for a 5th in the series.

#2 The new gens who have never played the game will all poo poo it for ripping off Pirates of the Caribbean.

I'm still massively excited to see this game released again.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.