Amazon, eBay Now Prohibiting R4 Sales

Pages PREV 1 2

Asehujiko:
I suppose you are opposed to indie pc games too because microsoft never specifically game them permission to use windows for them either?

The important difference being that you don't have to hack Windows software to develop a game for it.

LimaBravo:
dont forget 90% of american DS owners have one ;)

Where did you get that statistic?

jaeger138:

LimaBravo:

You must be new to the internet google my friend :D

I love when measures are taken to prevent piracy, gaming or otherwise, and all the leechers come out and whine about how mean the companies are because they don't have money to purchase games. It's pure entertainment.

Someone tell the non-DS gamer what a flashcart is? Is this one of those cartridges that comes preloaded with games or something?

Sevre90210:
Someone tell the non-DS gamer what a flashcart is? Is this one of those cartridges that comes preloaded with games or something?

It's like that, except the games are ones mass produced (ones you could buy on their own in a shop) and are an infringement of copyright law as a result. They also allow you to make your own games as well.

Personally, I think that this is a very very good move. If sales of this kept up then it could've caused Nintendo to pull the DS altogether, which would be a shame because despite some of the hate it has recieved all the time it's been about, it was a very original console when it came out and wasn't that bad in my opinion.

Brotherofwill:
How can they do this? I used to think these devices could not be called 'illegal' because legitimate data can be stored on them.

Technically the card is just a converter for the micro SD card, so essentially it doesn't store data at all, the micro SD card does.

Now if they could stop the companies that make them, that would make sense, going after the middle man isn't going to change anything, you can still buy direct.

I find it hard to believe that 90% of DS owners are using this method though, that would surely show in the sales figures of DS games wouldn't it?

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NDS

"In October of 2008 Nintendo officially announced that they had sold 84 million units, thus surpassing the total sales of the Game Boy Advance (81 million). It's expected that the release of the DSi will boost the sales even further. Also during October Nintendo announced that their hit Nintendogs for the DS had sold over 20 million units worldwide".

"Total Nintendo DS games sold as of September 30, 2008: 454.63 million", So that's roughly 5 games per NDS owner, sounds like a fair average (although I had almost 30 cartridges for my Sega Game Gear). not everyone likes Mario or Nintendogs, some people just use them for the brain exercise stuff.

Just because a game sells badly, you don't jump to the conclusion that the game is being pirated, it could just be a crap game, or in the case of my wife, you play the Wii, and PS3 a heck of a lot more while the DS sits in the cupboard for the last six to nine months (she only owns about 6 games herself).

I'm more interested in knowing how the DS games are pirated in the first place, something that is supposed to be a unique socket style is so easily pirated?

LimaBravo:

jaeger138:

LimaBravo:

I meant what source. Google doesn't cut it as a reliable source. Last week there were search results on Google claiming Jeff Goldblum had died, didn't make it true. I'd like to know your source's reliability, not where you found it

Pirating is always going to be a problem no matter what media you put out. I got layed off from my job where we draw house plans for local and national builders. The company was around for 50 years, and is about to totally go under. People were stealing plans for so many years and there was no way to stop it all, and with the weight of the costs of new home builds, the market slowly dried up. But what happened was that even the most trusted builders would steal a little bit from time to time when things would get slow, but over the years they would still buy many plans from the company. But once the economy dried up, the theft of the plans over-weighted the cost of the business and so it will close.

The cost of a product has designed into it the cost of theft. And I find it very hard to find anyone today that has never stolen anything data orientated (be it copying a music CD, downloading an MP3 .. copying a song of the radio) and so we are all fairly guilty. What does matter is that if there is theft, there must also be purchase or the whole thing collapses. People are always going to want to try before they buy, it is human instinct. Especially when there are software companies out there willing to put out horrible products just to make a few bucks. So, the idea is that if you do try something and like it, go out and buy the product to help support the company so that they can afford to be around for a few more years to keep making great product!

CLIFF NOTES - Everyone steals media - Just makes sure you support the companies you like!

Good for license owners, bad for the homebrew community.

Ofcourse, the homebrew community doesn't need to keep in business to make more Zelda games so I'm with nintendo on this one. I hope one day there's an open platform handheld console, then again I guess phones will probably cover that soon anyway...

jaeger138:

LimaBravo:

jaeger138:

LimaBravo:

I meant what source. Google doesn't cut it as a reliable source. Last week there were search results on Google claiming Jeff Goldblum had died, didn't make it true. I'd like to know your source's reliability, not where you found it

I was being sarcastic hence the smiley, I didnt realise you had a huge stick up your arse.

Go here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=R4+90%25+John+Hillier+Sunday+Post&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a < CLick on any one of those read the very very very very old news.

LimaBravo:

I was being sarcastic hence the smiley, I didnt realise you had a huge stick up your arse.

Go here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=R4+90%25+John+Hillier+Sunday+Post&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a < CLick on any one of those read the very very very very old news.

Smileys don't indicate sarcasm, /sarcastic would be better. And you didn't even answer my question in the post, so excuse me for wanting a simple answer to a simple question. If wanting simple answers to your simple questions is having a stick up your arse, then call me Sticky McStiffbutt

jaeger138:

LimaBravo:

Go here

Smileys don't indicate sarcasm, /sarcastic would be better. And you didn't even answer my question in the post, so excuse me for wanting a simple answer to a simple question. If wanting simple answers to your simple questions is having a stick up your arse, then call me Sticky McStiffbutt

OK Mr Sticky McStiffbutt

Jimmyjames:
Good. There is no legitimate reason to own these for anything other than piracy and unauthorized homebrew.

This.
Is the most ignorant post I have ever heard.
No other legitamite uses. HA.

Personal organizer app that lets you schedule dates and set alarms and stuff.
Mp3 player
Video player with the ds's famously long battery life
Drawing programs
Advanced calculators
Web browsers
online chat
Music creators
Become famous by creating your own freeware

Are you going to tell me these are not legitimate?

Also, Youtube is a haven of illegally downloaded unauthorized copyrighted content. So why do you not constantly advocate for it's destruction?

Google constantly links to piracy sites. Should they be held fiscally responsible for nintendo's loss of profits?

slopeslider:
everything you said

All of which is, of course unauthorized software that violates Nintendo's licensing agreement. An agreement you make when you purchase and use their hardware.

And I LOVE that you manage to completely neglect the fact that the real reason r4 chips even exist is to play pirated copies of games. A fact that is ILLEGAL in most countries, no matter whether or not you agree with it in principle.

Also, I find it amazing that you consider my post to be the most ignorant you've ever heard. Hyperbole much?

Jimmyjames:

slopeslider:
everything you said

All of which is, of course unauthorized software that violates Nintendo's licensing agreement. An agreement you make when you purchase and use their hardware.

And I LOVE that you manage to completely neglect the fact that the real reason r4 chips even exist is to play pirated copies of games. A fact that is ILLEGAL in most countries, no matter whether or not you agree with it in principle.

Also, I find it amazing that you consider my post to be the most ignorant you've ever heard. Hyperbole much?

Nintendo can put in their user-end licence agreement that I can't play psp or think bad thoughts about Nintendo. Doesn't mean I'll listen. I bought the ds, and I'll plug in whatever I want (As long as it's not for commercial use or profit)
It has legit uses, you know it does. Making r4 illegal is like making ANY kind of torrenting illegal; just because it's full of pirates doesn't give you the right to screw over everyone else's legit uses.
Will nintendo subpoena R4's wiki page for aiding and abetting?
Will nintendo put in their next user-end agreement that you are not allowed to talk about flashcarts in a positive light? /sarcasm

slopeslider:
Nintendo can put in their user-end licence agreement that I can't play psp or think bad thoughts about Nintendo. Doesn't mean I'll listen. I bought the ds, and I'll plug in whatever I want (As long as it's not for commercial use or profit)
It has legit uses, you know it does. Making r4 illegal is like making ANY kind of torrenting illegal; just because it's full of pirates doesn't give you the right to screw over everyone else's legit uses.

You're forgetting that the R4 itself is illegal because it violates Nintendo's end-user agreement about modifying the hardware (which... it DOES). And seriously, WTF does "Nintendo can put in their user-end licence agreement that I can't play psp or think bad thoughts about Nintendo.[sic]" have to do with ANYTHING. Really, don't grasp at straws, it sounds ridiculous.

And.... last I checked torrenting isn't in danger of being illegal. Illegally distributing software, however, IS.

jaeger138:

LimaBravo:

jaeger138:

LimaBravo:

But you use Google to try to find a different source that is reliable...

Jimmyjames:

slopeslider:

You're forgetting that the R4 itself is illegal because it violates Nintendo's end-user agreement about modifying the hardware (which... it DOES). And seriously, WTF does "Nintendo can put in their user-end licence agreement that I can't play psp or think bad thoughts about Nintendo.[sic]" have to do with ANYTHING. Really, don't grasp at straws, it sounds ridiculous.

And.... last I checked torrenting isn't in danger of being illegal. Illegally distributing software, however, IS.

At most it violates the warranty. Nintendo can't sue you for violating their terms. They can sue for illegal copies of games, which violates US copyright laws, but not for unauthorized use of equipment. Otherwise they would have sued known r4 users LONG AGO, instead of trying to get it taken off amazon and such.

And r4 does NOT modify the hardware. AT ALL. Installing a mod chip into your wii or 360 is modding hardware. R4 is completely software-based. If I gave nintendo a ds that used r4 they couldnt tell unless the r4 card was left in. If I gave them a hardware-modded ds they would tell once they open it and saw the internals.
Do you know how r4 works? Before you google it?

Nimbus:

Keane Ng:

eBay, meanwhile, maintained that it prohibits sellers from listing any "hardware or software that allows people to make unauthorized copies of copyrighted games,"

Unless Ebay has never sold any computer hardware at all this is utter bullshit.

I assume eBay means that they disallow the selling of things designed or mostly used to copy games. If not, then it's a standard stupid- wording thing. eBay could just say "we won't allow people to sell R4s because we say so", and it would be just as good.

Why the hell did you necro this thread?

slopeslider:
And r4 does NOT modify the hardware. AT ALL. Installing a mod chip into your wii or 360 is modding hardware. R4 is completely software-based. If I gave nintendo a ds that used r4 they couldnt tell unless the r4 card was left in. If I gave them a hardware-modded ds they would tell once they open it and saw the internals.
Do you know how r4 works? Before you google it?

Wow.

Yeah, the R4 bypasses Nintendo's hardware encryption, therefore MODIFYING THE HARDWARE. The fact that you can easily uninstall it makes it NO LESS of a modification. You can put an illegal chip in your car very easily that can be removed, too. Doesn't mean its any less illegal.

Irridium:
Why the hell did you necro this thread?

I guess my post waaaaaayyyyyy back in what, August(?) rubbed a DS owner that likes to copy games and play them via his R4 the wrong way.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here