Mass Effect 2: No More Slow Elevators

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mass Effect 2: No More Slow Elevators

Official Xbox Magazine have an exclusive interview with Bioware, and thanks to one brave soul armed only with a scanner, so does the rest of the internet.

Hey, want some good news about Mass Effect 2? Of course you do, so how does this grab you? Slow elevator rides, texture pop-in, boring planets? All gone. Instead we get suave fish-man assassins and a new car! That's just some of the things that Bioware revealed to OXM ahead of their appearence at E3.

The scans - which you can find here - make for interesting reading. While they are a little vague on plot details, although we're definitely going to see Asari planets and massive corporate space stations, and Shepherd isn't dead at first, they've had plenty to say about their technical efforts. In between joking about the slow pace of the elevators and showing off new combat animations - two hundred just for Shepherd taking cover - is a clear sense that Bioware have listened to feedback from fans and made considerable efforts to improve the things that fell flat in the first game.

That's right folks, Bioware not only listened to what you had to say, they actually care what you think. I don't know about you, but Mass Effect 2 has just moved to the top of my list of 'games-to-watch-at-E3.' Expect plenty more updates on the game in the coming weeks.

Source: VG247

nilcypher:
That's right folks, Bioware not only listened to what you had to say, they actually care what you think. I don't know about you, but Mass Effect 2 has just moved to the top of my list of 'games-to-watch-at-E3.' Expect plenty more updates on the game in the coming weeks.

I'm with you!

Although the pessimist in me thinks they'll fix those faults and introduce an unexpected but equal set of new ones.

I kinda liked the banter that occasionally took place during an elevator ride, but this is definitely a change for the better.

No more piss breaks? What about my bladder?

SharPhoe:
I kinda liked the banter that occasionally took place during an elevator ride, but this is definitely a change for the better.

I agree. I missed out on a couple achievements my first play-through because I kept swapping party members to try and hear different banter.

Being a bit of an astronomical nerd, I didn't necessarily find any of the planets "boring." I actually enjoyed exploring new worlds, meeting interesting life forms and taking all of their stuff. I thought the galaxy, from the overall map to the individual and diverse planetary bodies, was beautifully and realistically rendered, and it really added to the depth of the game for me. I suppose I'm in a minority, however...

Oh thank God.

Those elevators were way too slow for 200 years in the future. It would be faster to climb a ladder!

nilcypher:
Slow elevator rides, texture pop-in, boring planets? All gone.

So, they'll actually finish the game this time?

-- Alex

I didn't mind the elavators at all :|

I put about 150 hours into ME beating it several times. 120 of it was in the elevators. The worst was starting the elevator then realizing you were going the wrong way and had to go right back down.

Yes! It was agony waiting for the lifts to move, I could have fallen asleep, you couldn't move or do anything so it was so boring.

I also liked the elevator dialog. Especially because some of it seemed to be awkward small-talk... like all three people (or aliens) would sorta shift uncomfortably and look around, not making eye contact. It was a very decent simulation of a real elevator.

That said, elevator simulators were not what people expected when they bought the game.

Thank God for that. I'd rather take the damn stairs. And a new car! Yay! I wonder if this one will be able to drive up vertical cliff faces?

Also, 200 animations for taking cover? Is that entirely necassary?

I never found the elevators that much of a problem. It was eased by Wrex being there sharing great lines with the other characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOg-nLWe71w&feature=channel_page

seriously, god bless that Krogan

Alex_P:

nilcypher:

-- Alex

What I was thinking. Those problems wouldn't have existed even in the first game if they hadn't kicked it out too early. I doubt anybody will try to explain to me why popping-in textures were a clever design decision.

I hated those elevator rides, i just used the rapid transit system, it does exist people, but then i missed out on a couple of assignments and the random interaction of the rest of the sqaud.
I just can't wait for Mass Effect 2, its going to be so good, if its not i'll cry

Gladion:

Alex_P:

nilcypher:

-- Alex

What I was thinking. Those problems wouldn't have existed even in the first game if they hadn't kicked it out too early. I doubt anybody will try to explain to me why popping-in textures were a clever design decision.

Well, Bioware being the crafty designer that they are, deliberately put the graphics pops in to ensure a well-rounded experience. You see, with such an immersive story, not to mention stunning worlds, people were drawn into the experience like never before. Obviously, this caused problems. Some people began having difficulty distinguishing reality from the near-real virtual universe Bioware had built. The company didn't want to end up on the 'served' end of several lawsuits. It was doubtless in their minds that there would be those especially-involved players who would rush to be heroes during bank robberies and such, believing that half-ducking behind an overturned table would secure them, or that they had personal shields to protect them from pantyhose-masked gunfire. This early realization by Bioware called for subtle, but still noticeable, flaws to be implanted into the game. Hence, the constant graphics popping would ensure that people would remember that they were only playing an awesome game, and were not actually that large-headed space marine with the stylish lobotomy scar. (Subjective to how you designed your character, of course.)

This game just moved to the number-one game I'm Keeping An Eye Out For. Sorry, Prototype, but hawt Asari and a Darker and Edgier space opera takes precedence over superpowered mayhem.

I've been a big fan of Bioware since Shattered Steel first graced my computer's hard drive.

Just another example of how it's good to be nice to your fans in the gaming industry.

Fraser.J.A:

nilcypher:

I'm with you!

Although the pessimist in me thinks they'll fix those faults and introduce an unexpected but equal set of new ones.

Yeah. Every force has it's equal but opposite consequence >_>

Really looking forward to the game.

What, so will they be fast elevator rides instead?

The Shade:

Gladion:

Alex_P:

nilcypher:

-- Alex

Well, Bioware being the crafty designer that they are, deliberately put the graphics pops in to ensure a well-rounded experience. You see, with such an immersive story, not to mention stunning worlds, people were drawn into the experience like never before. Obviously, this caused problems. Some people began having difficulty distinguishing reality from the near-real virtual universe Bioware had built. The company didn't want to end up on the 'served' end of several lawsuits. It was doubtless in their minds that there would be those especially-involved players who would rush to be heroes during bank robberies and such, believing that half-ducking behind an overturned table would secure them, or that they had personal shields to protect them from pantyhose-masked gunfire. This early realization by Bioware called for subtle, but still noticeable, flaws to be implanted into the game. Hence, the constant graphics popping would ensure that people would remember that they were only playing an awesome game, and were not actually that large-headed space marine with the stylish lobotomy scar. (Subjective to how you designed your character, of course.)

Never, ever, in my entire life am I gonna use Irony again. I'm stunned.

Gladion:
Never, ever, in my entire life am I gonna use Irony again. I'm stunned.

I do my best.

=D

as long as there is no product placement and and the voice actors are the same

Kukul:

There is a pause button my friend ;)

Rusty Bucket:
Thank God for that. I'd rather take the damn stairs. And a new car! Yay! I wonder if this one will be able to drive up vertical cliff faces?

Also, 200 animations for taking cover? Is that entirely necassary?

It's very necessary. If it were me, I'd add more. Like 200,000 animations for swapping weapons. Or 10,000 animations for the Redshirt CIC operators on the Normandy randomly pushing buttons. Or a million stair-climbing animations. :P

Somethingfake:

Kukul:

There is a pause button my friend ;)

Pause button? Is this something they invented for those casual players?

I still gotta finish the first one, everytime I start to get into it, I pick up a new game or get caught up in work stuff and now I just ordered KotoR so bah! eventually I'll beat it

Kukul:

They really didn't consider the problem did they? If only those elevators were slower!

StarStruckStrumpets:

Kukul:

They really didn't consider the problem did they? If only those elevators were slower!

Vrex360:
I never found the elevators that much of a problem. It was eased by Wrex being there sharing great lines with the other characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOg-nLWe71w&feature=channel_page

seriously, god bless that Krogan

Aaa yes, those elevator rides were brilliant. Plus that AWESOME lift music. But I'm very glad that they're also doing something about those awfull and dull planets. Give me some rainforests, dammit.

BUT I LIKED THE BORING PLANETS! D:
Now how am I going to self-delude myself into Brokeback-Mountainesque scenarios!??!

BlueInkAlchemist:
Being a bit of an astronomical nerd, I didn't necessarily find any of the planets "boring." I actually enjoyed exploring new worlds, meeting interesting life forms and taking all of their stuff. I thought the galaxy, from the overall map to the individual and diverse planetary bodies, was beautifully and realistically rendered, and it really added to the depth of the game for me. I suppose I'm in a minority, however...

You ain't alone, the reason why I love playing Mass Effect is because of the planets. Having the freedom to prance about the galaxy, nary a care in the bloody universe, intrigues me.

Yet, they're apparently scrapping it for bang-bang action...as to what bang-bang refers to, I'll let you all decide for yourselves.

I realize it's unavoidable that scans of a hot print article will end up online, and that it's standard practice for gaming sites to link each other's articles, but combine the two and you get a pretty astounding dick move on the part of Joystiq -- and, by proxy, the Escapist.

When you link to an article that originated on another site, you're directing traffic and ad views to the content's owners, so it's all kosher. But an illegal scan of a print piece? A big feature preview like this is a major selling point; I'd be surprised if this wasn't the cover story for its issue. And now the writer and the magazine that scored this "exclusive" are getting royally screwed: why buy the magazine when a scan is plastered all over your favorite news sites?

It doesn't bother me as much that the initial scan was technically illegal: that stuff pops up all the time, and is generally limited in scope to whatever message board it appeared on. But it really bugs me to see gaming journos for a site I generally respect knifing their colleague in the back by stealing his exclusive. Come on, Escapist: just because Joystiq did it doesn't mean it's OK.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS no more elevators FTW

Zing! Though I never had too much of a problem with the elevators, the lack of anything interesting on the other planets irked me greatly.

Bioware has made awesome games in the past: I hope that ME2 takes the formula that 1 made, and improves it.

Oh, and if they could redesign the inventory system to sort items by player-decided filters? I'D BE A HAPPY PANDA.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.