WH40k: Space Marine Cleansing Console Heretics

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

WH40k: Space Marine Cleansing Console Heretics

Veteran Warhammer 40,000 developer Relic Entertainment has unveiled Warhammer 40k: Space Marine, a console action RPG featuring the titular zealots as they fanatically battle for the glory of the Emperor, or something like that.

Okay, I gotta admit something here: I've never been all that interested in Warhammer 40k's Space Marines. In fact, I've always found them kind of boring in their religious zeal (and the religious zeal that they inspire in Warhammer fanboys, too) and ridiculous over-the-top enhancements that let them fight everywhere with everyone forever, or however it goes. I'll take a Sgt. Avery Johnson or Jim Raynor any day of the week, thank you very much.

That said, the Warhammer 40k world is one that provides a heaping helping of potential content for a skilled developer, and Vancouver-based Relic Entertainment has made me fond of the Emperor's Finest at least once before. While Dawn of War II reveled in blurring the lines between RTS and action RPG, Relic and publisher THQ have booted the RTS part out of the door with the official unveiling of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine.

As with all official game reveals, there's a standard press release filled with boring boilerplate PR text, if that's your thing. Significantly more interesting, though, is the battle trailer hosted over at IGN. Relic's had a lot of practice with their Space Marines over the years, so it's no surprise they seem to have nailed the look and feel of the world, if the trailer is any indication. Yeah, it's a trailer, and trailers are admittedly made to make their games look as awesome as possible... but I gotta say, I'm liking what I see. The game looks fast, visceral, and entertaining as all hell.

It's likely - though not 100% certain - that this is the same game that saw leaked footage hit the 'Net last September. After all, Games Workshop is notoriously protective of its IPs - two competing third-person action games based on its grim vision of the future would only confuse consumers. So make of that what you will.

Space Marine is reportedly in development for both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Remember, kids: It's like Gears of War, except the chainsaw is on the sword, not the gun.*

*(This was a joke, 40k fanboys. Thus far, the only things we know that Gears and Space Marine have in common are: Lots of blood, third-person perspective, and a fondness for combining chainsaws with other types of weaponry. Heck, Space Marine might not even have a cover system.)

(Via Joystiq)

So, it's going to be like Mass Effect, but with Religious Zealots that have 3 hearts, 6 lungs, and are the most sturdy people in all of Warhammer besides the Necrons and the Orc Warbosses? I.E. Much Harder to die then most TPS's out there. Ignore the Jelosy in this post though, I've always been more of an Greenskin player myself, and I think attacking the marines with a Warp-gun and a Heavy Bolta' mounted on the back of a Wartrukk would be more fun myself, but that's just me.

Anyone else get an almost Dynasty Warrior feel from the battle trailer? And unless they have vastly reworked the game, those seem like 2 very different products.

I was a little disappointed to see the Ultramarine chapter yet again, with so many to choose from you would think developers could decide to do something other then making up their own or using the Ultramarines.

Ick, I'm not a fan of Warhammers "extremeness" and the Fanboys are worse (and more dedicated) than pretty much any other game I've ever seen. Still, if they pull it off right it could be fun... maybe...

Problem is that I find Warhammer 40k's premise immensely friggin stupid and no doubt the fanboys will claim it's more "realistic" because it's so damn gritty, brown and over the top.

Frankly I almost find the Universe funny in it's bleakness, everything is Hope Eating Star Gods and Greasy Armored Immortal Brains that eat 1,000 Psychics Per Day and use entire planets for resources to build massive armies.

Yeah, silly.

Boring Ultramarines...at least use Black Templars they have a intresting back story and are completely insane.

Taht trailer just really put me off. the combat looks like somthing you would find in a JRPG.

PedroSteckecilo:
Ick, I'm not a fan of Warhammers "extremeness" and the Fanboys are worse (and more dedicated) than pretty much any other game I've ever seen. Still, if they pull it off right it could be fun... maybe...

I find Warhammers premise immensely friggin stupid and no doubt the fanboys will claim it's more "realistic" because it's so damn gritty, brown and over the top.

First: There are two Warhammers.

Second: There's a difference between fans of the tabletop, and the fans of the video games. Anyone who's willing to drop $600 in paint, glue, rule books, and the models to play a game is going to be dedicated. Probably moreso than the guys who spent $59 on any of the video games.

Vek:

PedroSteckecilo:
SNIP

First: There are two Warhammers.

Second: There's a difference between fans of the tabletop, and the fans of the video games. Anyone who's willing to drop $600 in paint, glue, rule books, and the models to play a game is going to be dedicated. Probably moreso than the guys who spent $59 on any of the video games.

I'm aware or both facts, in fact I enjoy the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay immensely, it's a lot more fun than DnD and I find I really enjoy the Apocalyptic Bleakness mixed with Pratchett Eqsue Medieval Satire... but I just can't handle the over the top silliness that is 40k, I just can't.

Looks fun. I just hope it doesn't "get tactical shooter on my ass".

Should be fun, if it works out well. Here's hoping you can defect to Chaos.

PedroSteckecilo:
but I just can't handle the over the top silliness that is 40k, I just can't.

Sigmar. Skaven. Tomb Kings. Vampire Counts.

Yeah, I'll take GRIMDARKNESS any day.

Should of called it Adeptus Astartes.

*grumble grumble*

Vek:

PedroSteckecilo:

I'm not actually sure what point you're trying to make, here. That WH40k ISN'T over the top and silly?

Hmmm... I'm not sure I agree with OP's pessimistic view on Space Marines.

Yes, they are zealous in their way, but not in the religious fanatic kind of way. A Space marine is not a brainless automaton... They are as much capable of rational thought and changing ideas as we are. They are multicultured and flavoured.

Just look at the first founding legions. Each was an archetype in their own, representing not only different kinds of ethnicity, but also different kinds of humans.

There were Rogal Dorn and his imperial fists, peerless masons that excelled in building fortresses, and who were stern and set in their ways. There were Magnus and his Thousand Sons, scholars in academics, pursuing knowledge and dedicated to understanding even the darkest paths, and bending the warp to the good of mankind. Russ and the Space Wolves, and their tribal nature, relentless ferocity and nordic tradition. Lorgar's Word Bearers were theologicians(how the hell is that word supposed to be spelled?) and philosophers, pondering of the nature of faith and the metaphysical.

I could go on, and sure, at best it is superficial archetypes, but I think it shows that the Space Marine is not just a brainwashed zealot, but a human(even if super-). And with being humans comes the flaws, the ability to think and reason and the concept of emotion. Space Marines are not more zealous than they occasionally rebel against the imperium, some in the name of chaos, others just as corsairs or tyrants.
They are individuals, and no two marines are alike, despite the genetic engineering and hypnotic conditioning they go through.

Longshot:

Yes, they are zealous in their way, but not in the religious fanatic kind of way. A Space marine is not a brainless automaton... They are as much capable of rational thought and changing ideas as we are. They are multicultured and flavoured.

Just look at the first founding legions. Each was an archetype in their own, representing not only different kinds of ethnicity, but also different kinds of humans.

There were Rogal Dorn and his imperial fists, peerless masons that excelled in building fortresses, and who were stern and set in their ways. There were Magnus and his Thousand Sons, scholars in academics, pursuing knowledge and dedicated to understanding even the darkest paths, and bending the warp to the good of mankind. Russ and the Space Wolves, and their tribal nature, relentless ferocity and nordic tradition. Lorgar's Word Bearers were theologicians(how the hell is that word supposed to be spelled?) and philosophers, pondering of the nature of faith and the metaphysical.

I could go on, and sure, at best it is superficial archetypes, but I think it shows that the Space Marine is not just a brainwashed zealot, but a human(even if super-). And with being humans comes the flaws, the ability to think and reason and the concept of emotion. Space Marines are not more zealous than they occasionally rebel against the imperium, some in the name of chaos, others just as corsairs or tyrants.
They are individuals, and no two marines are alike, despite the genetic engineering and hypnotic conditioning they go through.

I understand that, and I have liked individual Space Marines - I enjoyed the cast of DoW2 for the most part, for example. But I still just find them (as a general concept) boring, and impossible to relate to as characters. I still stand by my statement that I'll take Jim Raynor and his good ol' boys any day of the week :P

grinklehi:
So, it's going to be like Mass Effect...

I'm sure it'll be just like Mass Effect. Only the science won't be as hard.

And there won't be any deep stories about relations with alien races. "Purge the xenos" sums up the Imperial doctrine on relations with other races.

And you resolve all of your difficulties with a bolter or chainsword. There are a few situations in ME can be resolved without violence on your part).

And instead of choosing what side of the moral line you want to fall on, you'll be doing everything in the game FOR TEH EMPRAH.

Other than that, just like Mass Effect.

CantFaketheFunk:
I'll take a ... Jim Raynor any day of the week, thank you very much.

QFT.

CantFaketheFunk:

Longshot:
snip

I understand that, and I have liked individual Space Marines - I enjoyed the cast of DoW2 for the most part, for example. But I still just find them (as a general concept) boring, and impossible to relate to as characters. I still stand by my statement that I'll take Jim Raynor and his good ol' boys any day of the week :P

I do agree with you, to a certain extent. Space Marines are hard to relate to, as they are something "above" u mere mortals. In that sense, it's hard to "be" them, since we have to assume that they operate, mentally an morally, on a plain above(if not just elsewhere) than ours. I think W40k usually does a good job at telling us this, especially when it comes to aliens(Eldar, being the case in point): They are different, not just physically, but in every way, and viewing and evaluating them from a human perspective will not allow us to understand them one bit. Apples and oranges.

I think a W40k RPG would have been much better, if seen from the perspective of an Inquisitor. Sadly, Space Marines sells games.

CantFaketheFunk:
I'm not actually sure what point you're trying to make, here. That WH40k ISN'T over the top and silly?

No, just less so than Warhammer Fantasy.

Ratmen armies vs. psychic Space Elves (who, coincidentally, sexxed a new Chaos god into existence)
Mummies vs. Generic Space Marine forces
Emo vampire dudes vs. Tau.
Stereotypical Scots-Irish drunkard greedy dwarves vs. ...Wait, 40K realized dwarves are tired and overused and killed Squats off. Big +1 to 40K.

It all comes down to over-the-top fantasy tropes against over-the-top sci-fi tropes. Disliking most fantasy, I'll favor 40K pretty much every time.

Slycne:
I was a little disappointed to see the Ultramarine chapter yet again, with so many to choose from you would think developers could decide to do something other then making up their own or using the Ultramarines.

Seconded. I'd like to see a game with the Space Wolves or Black Templar for a change. Ultramarines are too bland. This game does look good though, gonna have to try it when it comes out.

Ahh, Ultramarines GW's favs *sigh*
to be truthful though, this game does look amazing (I watched the trailer)
And indeed let the Waaaaaaaaaaagh begin good sir.

grinklehi:
So, it's going to be like Mass Effect, but with Religious Zealots that have 3 hearts, 6 lungs, and are the most sturdy people in all of Warhammer besides the Necrons and the Orc Warbosses? I.E. Much Harder to die then most TPS's out there. Ignore the Jelosy in this post though, I've always been more of an Greenskin player myself, and I think attacking the marines with a Warp-gun and a Heavy Bolta' mounted on the back of a Wartrukk would be more fun myself, but that's just me.

Not just you. That's why I'm still disappointed Gorkamorka (the videogame) never made it to shelves.

I do dig the 40k setting and character but I hope this ends up being more interesting than Fire Warrior was.

It doesnt look too bad apart from the fact that it looks like Dynasty Warriors but maybe you switch to fighting other races (hopefully).

This is going to be fucking awesome.

Doesn't look that bad, but I hope like hell you get to play as non Ultramarines. Eldar, Orks or another race would be great, but at least another chapter, or maybe even let the player "Paint" their own army like they did with the DoW games. But the Ultra spacs, are GW's favourites, so...probaly won't be as much choice in single player.

CantFaketheFunk:

Longshot:

Agreed: give me the Inquisition or the Imperial Guard any day.

On that note, am I the only person that thinks a Mass Effect style game centred around an Inquisitor would be awesome in ways a game about a space marine could only dream of being?

I think hoping to play other races is a little far fetched when the title of the game is Space Marine and I would rather have one really fleshed out side in an rpg.

Longshot:
I think a W40k RPG would have been much better, if seen from the perspective of an Inquisitor. Sadly, Space Marines sells games.

Would like that game my self too, you get more scope with the more diverse opinions that can exists between different inquisitors. Always thought an inquisitor game would work rather well along similar lines to bioware games with how radical the inquisitor is replacing the morality bar.

Edit. Seems whyarecarrots had the same idea in the post just up from this.

CantFaketheFunk:
I've never been all that interested in Warhammer 40k's Space Marines. In fact, I've always found them kind of [censored: unspeakable heresy!] (and the [censored:unspeakable heresy!] that they inspire in Warhammer fanboys, too)

The heresy residing in thy rotten soul shall be cleansed with the blood of thy mortal body!
DIE heretic, for the glory of the Emperor!!!

CantFaketheFunk:

Space Marine is reportedly in development for both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Remember, kids: It's like Gears of War, except the chainsaw is on the sword, not the gun.*

Yeah, pass.

CantFaketheFunk:
I'll take a ...Jim Raynor any day of the week, thank you very much.

You, good sir, have your priorities in order. If I wore a hat, I would tip it.

Worsle:

Edit. Seems whyarecarrots had the same idea in the post just up from this.

It also seems I fail at reading the thread for not noticing Longshot's post... ;)

Hmm I'm wondering if this is going to be a series like WH40k: Tau or Eldar or Necron ect Personally I'm hoping for some game in the future that is some form of Tyranid game where you were the Hive Mind and it was Battalion Wars styled so when you died you just moved on to another unit and if you strayed too far from a synapse creature you would have less control ect. Come on who doesn't want to play as a carnifex? That would make me a happy panda. Though I do have to say that I'm really looking forward to this. Looks like a blast!

There's just something about the space marines, and their zealousness about the Emperor that reminds me of something...But I can't put my finger on it...Oh Yeah.

I doubt this will work very well. The way warhammer is structured you can't really have anything less than epic. In an RPG there's a lot of downtime where you trek from place to place, play the diplomacy game and try to define your character by the choices you make. That's not what I would call high-paced and epic.

Then there's the fact that there are no women among the space marines, and the fact that they can't really be "evil" without turning to chaos, which is sort of irreversable. So, it would either have to be really deep and let you play as for example a sister (which would be quite the different experience since they most definately are religious fanatics), or something along the lines of The Witcher with a well-defined lead character who comes pre-loaded with mannerisms and temperament. Or it could just be crappy, that's also an alternative...

Oh look, an action game about testosterone dripping, power armour wearing, person-sized-weapon wielding space marines... Boy we never saw one of those before!

Vek:

PedroSteckecilo:

those are phantasy armies. now early Tyranid models. those are silly

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook