Sega Makes A Kart Racer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sega Makes A Kart Racer

Sega has announced Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, a kart racer featuring a slew of characters from Sega games like Sonic, the Super Monkey Ball monkey and the Samba de Amigo Amigo.

The idea of Sonic in racing games has baffled me for a long time now, even when I was too young to be baffled by anything when Sonic R came out. Why is Sonic racing his friends? What's the point? He can run faster than all of them. That's why he's Sonic. Okay, so he might be riding a hoverboard, or in the case of Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sega's new take on the modern kart racer, a sports car. But why should Sonic drive a car? He's faster than most of them.

It's probably best to put such questions aside when talking about something like All-Stars Racing. Set for release on PS3, 360, Wii and DS next year, the game pits a variety of characters from Sega's pantheon of game franchises and has them do what any group of mascots would do when they get together. Race each other across novelty stages in silly vehicles.

In addition to Sonic, Dr. Robotnik (Eggman), Tails, AiAi (the monkey from Super Monkey Ball), Amigo (of Samba De Amigo) will be in attendance, racing in cars, planes, motorcycles and, for Mr. Monkey Ball, banana mobiles. Each character has a special move they can use, and there are power ups and items on each track, like in most kart racers.

"Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is no ordinary racing game. Its huge variety of characters and vehicles, plus the ability to play both online and off set it apart from other games of this type," said Gary Knight of Sega Europe. "The team have pushed the boundaries on what you would normally expect and created a different and unique party racing title whereby you really can't take anything for granted!"

Sounds like a simple but fun time. Now if Sega makes an unlockable Dreamcast kart, then we'd really be in business.

Bad idea, Go!

Last I checked Nintendo was the only company capable of pulling off a good to decent kart racer. I haven a feeling that this will be a failure of a game.

Noooooo please don't. A kart racer is perhaps the least inspired type of game. There is virtually no way to differ from the formula. Weapons: must be picked up. Carts: must be virtually identical in terms of performance. Characters: must be ugly big-head versions of thier normal incarnation.

Oh dear... well i'm going to go and help the sega team dig thier own graves (again)... Anyone want to give me a hand?

This makes no sense.

Sonic runs fast. That's what he does. WHY THE FUCK WOULD HE USE A CAR?!?!

I dunno, man.

Am I the only person who thinks it could just be a new Mario-kart with different/better maps?

And I liked wacky wheels and skunny kart. ;/

OMG! That actually looks like a car. Instead of a Kart!

Like I said - balance.

I say bring it on. This just means we'll get something awesome.

Internet Kraken:
This makes no sense.

Sonic runs fast. That's what he does. WHY THE FUCK WOULD HE USE A CAR?!?!

Yeah why would he use a stupid hover board to race other things as well!

[sarcasm and cookie to person to figure out the reference]

Didn't they already try this with Sonic Drift? And Sonic Drift 2?

Yoshi_egg80:

Sonic riders?
I can has cookie plz?

GIVE IT UP sega! Mario is way infront of you Seriously your a dead system, its nintendo, ps3, and 360 no sega ass cast! give it up! Make your own system and make your own crap there just not here. Your like 20 miles behind the band wagon! Seriously, I dont like nintendo but i gatta say that it beats sega by a longshot

By the Effin way, Why does sonic of all people need a car? He runs at supersonic speeds, If he gets tired he has that hover board... Thing and rollerblades!

regal90:

Yoshi_egg80:

Sonic riders?
I can has cookie plz?

Sure *tosses cookie* though every kart race game that's been released after double dash just feels like a step back. *cries* I'll never let you go double dash!

I'm somewhat interested to see if this will be little more than the kart racing in Sonic Adventure 2 w/ weapons.

Wow I'm suprised it took sega this long I mean Namco, Nintendo, and Rare have slready done this a long time ago thought it wouldn't take long for sega to copy, I guess I was wrong it took some years.

Freakout456:
Wow I'm suprised it took sega this long I mean Namco, Nintendo, and Rare have slready done this a long time ago thought it wouldn't take long for sega to copy, I guess I was wrong it took some years.

They had variations: Sonic R, Sonic Riders, kart racing minigames in Sonic Adventure 2 and other stuff like that.

*Cough*

*Cough Cough*

*whimpers* I liked Sonic R... :P

Sonic's thoughts: Anything Mario can do, I can rip off and do ten times shittier!

Seriously, is Sega just deliberately TRYING to be fucking morons or does it just come naturally? 'Cause I kinda doubt stupidity of this caliber is learned.

Wow. I thought they couldn't be any less original with the werehog thing. They proved me wrong!

Starnerf:
Didn't they already try this with Sonic Drift? And Sonic Drift 2?

This is what I was going to say.

Sonic Drift 2 was pretty fun, if I remember correctly.

hur hur sonic in a car...never gets old.

black lincon:
Last I checked Nintendo was the only company capable of pulling off a good to decent kart racer. I haven a feeling that this will be a failure of a game.

Naughty Dog says hi with CTR and Jak X

It's times like this I love the fact I bought Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA.

What an original idea! Putting well-established franchise characters into a completely derivative, tired waste of money!

Genius!

Please, Sega. Stop desecrating the long-since deceased Sonic, and let him rest in peace!

This is going to have to be pull off something amazing to cut through the thick layer of cynicism here. If it can even begin to rival Crash Team Racing, then I'll be impressed (I'm just not holding out much hope...)

joystickjunki3:
I'm somewhat interested to see if this will be little more than the kart racing in Sonic Adventure 2 w/ weapons.

That couldn't be a game, it wouldn't even qualify to be shovelware!

Oh good lord, I really hope it doesn't turn out to actually be like that...

I thought they were banning rape games in Japan? But I guess that only counts in literal & not the metaphorical sense *sigh*

Hey lets not knock it till we try. After all, Sega has made some GREAT racing games like Sega GT

Wow. Only 17 years late, too.

Good on ya, Sega.

You can tell this is sarcasm, right?

Poor, poor Sega. I write this with naught but pity in my heart.

.............yay?

Onmi:

black lincon:

Naughty Dog says hi with CTR and Jak X

Dang, you beat me to it. I never played Jak X, but Crash Team Racing was such a fun game.

To be honest, it's hard to see Sega go wrong with this. They've got a wealth of characters under they're belt (I'd love to see Ethan Thomas' kart) and the gameplay's so simple that I think a production team would have to genuinely work harder to mess it up.

Not the most exciting new game to be announced but I'll keep my eyes open for the inevitable price drop. I don't have a Wii, so it'll be nice to get some kart action with my friends over Live.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here