Rape Games Banned in Japan, For Real

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Following an emergency meeting of the Ethics Organization of Computer Software it has been determined, apparently for real this time, that rape games will be banned in Japan - sort of.

The meeting involved almost 100 representatives of various eroge companies but Canned Dogs says there was "surprisingly little" opposition to the proposed ban, with most seemingly resigned to the fact that rule changes were inevitable. Instead, the attendees were more concerned with determining what would and would not be acceptable.

Specific guidelines weren't set and until they are the EOCS will work with game companies on an individual basis to monitor new releases. Tighter restrictions on packaging and game titles are expected to take effect almost immediately, however; Syrup Soft has already responded to the new regulations by changing the name of its upcoming game Gang Raped by the Entire Village ~Girls Covered in Milky Liquid~ to The Trap Set by the Entire Village ~Bodies Covered in Milky Liquid~. It's a subtle distinction, yes, but apparently adequate; in-game content will not be modified.

The EOCS, much like the ESRB in North America, is a voluntary organization, so these proposed changes won't actually be enshrined in Japanese law. It sounds like games that cross the line will be refused a rating by the agency instead, which may keep them out of "mainstream" Japanese retail outlets but won't prevent their creation or distribution. An outright ban on the games seems very unlikely; while the genre might seem odd or outrageous to most North American gamers, it's estimated to account for 10-20 percent of the Japanese PC game industry, enough to give it a considerable amount of clout in the decision-making process.

O_O Have I been living under a stone or is it a shock to find out there are such things as 'rape games' that aren't just an awful flash on newgrounds? What's the gameplay like as well? Button press for a set sequence, or one for thrust? *shudder*

Contraversy. The game box made me laugh though...I'm a bad person.

Man this is sad. Yet oddly enough if it wasn't for a capitalistic domninance on how the world does business this could of been much worse. I still think it is a bad idea but at least the content wasnt censored and so far only the names have been changed(getting rid of good marketing or attraction to buy a game) and just more tracing(if any takes place).

Ok now im confused.

Make your minds up!

This has, apparently, achieved nothing, and that makes me very depressed. I wouldn't have a problem with rape in games if it were portrayed as how it actually is: horrible, disgusting, and traumatic. It could be used in games to help tell a really powerful, emotional story, and yet people continue to use it like this: to glorify the act itself and objectify women. Very rarely am I against censorship, but rape games cross a line.

Malygris:
with most seemingly resigned to the fact that rule changes were inevitable.

I submit this as further evidence. These people are actually sad that they won't be able to make games about rape any more. They need help.

Tighter restrictions on packaging and game titles are expected to take effect almost immediately, however; Syrup Soft has already responded to the new regulations by changing the name of its upcoming game Gang Raped by the Entire Village ~Girls Covered in Milky Liquid~ to The Trap Set by the Entire Village ~Bodies Covered in Milky Liquid~. It's a subtle distinction, yes, but apparently adequate; in-game content will not be modified.

For God's sake. Why do people feel compelled to make these games; and more importantly, why do people buy them?!

Sexual Harassment Panda:
Contraversy. The game box made me laugh though...I'm a bad person.

I laughed at you because of this >.>

MAKE YOUR MIND UP JAPAN!!!

EDIT Bah, ninjad!

Tomorrow's News Headline: Rape Games Not banned in Japan after all!

Anachronism:

Tighter restrictions on packaging and game titles are expected to take effect almost immediately, however; Syrup Soft has already responded to the new regulations by changing the name of its upcoming game Gang Raped by the Entire Village ~Girls Covered in Milky Liquid~ to The Trap Set by the Entire Village ~Bodies Covered in Milky Liquid~. It's a subtle distinction, yes, but apparently adequate; in-game content will not be modified.

For God's sake. Why do people feel compelled to make these games; and more importantly, why do people buy them?!

So that I don't have to live out my evil perverted fantasies in the real world? *runs away and hides under a rock* [/joke]

The Japanese can rape the shit out of each other for all I care by now.

I just got up and now I feel like I need another shower. I try not to condemn cultures I don't understand, but those games are disgusting and completely indefensible.

Minor regulations are much better than an outright ban. I think I can live w/ that decision.

Anachronism:

Simple, entertainment. It is entertaining to play simulation games because you can do things one never thought possible to do in real life. Also the biological urge to have sex being the animals that we are is also another selling point and yes rape still leads to sex.

Every person has urges and we all have different ways of dealing with them. While we all know rape is horrible the construction of these games must be quite promising and elaborate that it gives the player the same sense of achievement as if you beheaded an enemy, ripped out his spine and strangled the person next to you in a video game.

There is nothing wrong with creating games that explore ground that is focused on a region which the audience has no problem admitting the physical act is wrong but the video game is good.

There is also a part where how you were raised and view the world also really affects people's concept on these issues. Think about where the Japanese find acceptable where britians or americans do not. There are stark differences in what goes into a video game. Most Japanese games do not display graphic violence like American games and it is not coincidence that Japanese games focus more on relationships of characters rather than american games. This goes beyond video games as well and enters other mediums from anime, manga, movies and so on. If you aren't part of the culture it is very hard to look at the society with a blank slate or immerse yourself in the culture(study) and cast judgement.

If it was up to those who "want to portray the horrors of rape" no one would wnat to play because everytime you "achieve" something in the game you are also shamed...think about that. A game developer would have to at the same time punish the player and make them feel bad from playing the game where they are doing well. That doesn't sound like a game that would be fun to play now does it?

Any culture that finds rape acceptable and entertaining should be wiped off the face of the earth. I don't give two shits about Japan but they continue to make me question whether or not the USSR and USA would have been better off wiping that shitty little island off the map in the first place.

-sigh-

How about i come to YOUR county and tell you how to live?

Because there more in touch with there sexual side, doesn't mean that we should get a hand in this, let them get on with it, they have appointed leaders, let them deal with it.

And since when was rape as bad as being paratrooped into somewhere that resembles Iraq and killing them for trying to defend there homeland.

Sexual Harassment Panda:
The game box made me laugh though...I'm a bad person.

The clawing Hands!! :(

i say that the japanses ban is abit stupid. sure, now it wont be as bad for kids to read the title, but even so...

rosac

Bad journalism. The title is misleading.

They weren't banned, they might be refused a rating but they are not banned.

Rajin Cajun:
Any culture that finds rape acceptable and entertaining should be wiped off the face of the earth. I don't give two shits about Japan but they continue to make me question whether or not the USSR and USA would have been better off wiping that shitty little island off the map in the first place.

Here we go again with the ignorant half-baked commentaries.

What about murder? Is murder acceptable? should we wipe you off the face of the earth because you find killing others acceptable?

Caliostro:

Rajin Cajun:

What about murder? Is murder acceptable? should we wipe you off the face of the earth because you find killing others acceptable?

Murder does not equal combat so nice fallacy since I was discussing killing off the whole lot during the Second World War.

RedMenace:

Anachronism:

So that I don't have to live out my evil perverted fantasies in the real world? *runs away and hides under a rock* [/joke]

Fair enough, although I'm pretty sure you can get non-rape based erotic games (besides the DOA girls).

Rajin Cajun:

Caliostro:

Rajin Cajun:

Murder does not equal combat so nice fallacy since I was discussing killing off the whole lot during the Second World War.

Actually, thats a good point. Although that said, I found the firethrower in CoD5 abit too distrubing frankly. I know its only a game, but it still seemed quite horrific for a combat game.

As for murder games, Manhunt 1 and 2, probably. Interesting side note - Manhunt 2 was the only game since Carmageddon to get effectively banned in the UK. I'm guessing because its little more than an actual murder simulator, but given I've not played it (and don't really want to) I can't state for sure.

Rajin Cajun:

These are computer games, they are aimed at specific people which find this kind of game arousing. Its nothing more and not about a whole society accepting rape and being sick (well,actually i don't like Japanese very much, but here I have to defend them a bit)

People which like this kind of game will not run around wildely and rape girls. You are talking like people are brainless idiots which have to be controlled to never do something wrong. Many can very well distinguish the difference between reality and a game. Its a bit like saying movies in which people are shot should be forbidden because it makes us all to murders because we already saw someone die.. I guess this would just mean 99% of all movies in the world should be forbidden. People which tell people that they are too stupid to not get sick in their brain and therefore need to control what they can watch and watch not is a bit odd..

P.S.: Yes, I played some of these games. Some show quite hot sex which is entertaining hehe.. Personally I still feel like a normal person but.. BETTER RUN PEOPLE, RUN!! *FEELING ZOMBIE TRANSFORMATION*

Malygris:
Syrup Soft has already responded to the new regulations by changing the name of its upcoming game Gang Raped by the Entire Village ~Girls Covered in Milky Liquid~ to The Trap Set by the Entire Village ~Bodies Covered in Milky Liquid~.

I would like to meet the person who comes up with these names. I suppose it loses some of its poetic quality in translation.

hahahah! imagine getting that for christmas... lol

Ventuquies:

People which like this kind of game will not run around wildely and rape girls. You are talking like people are brainless idiots which have to be controlled to never do something wrong. Many can very well distinguish the difference between reality and a game. Its a bit like saying movies in which people are shot should be forbidden because it makes us all to murders because we already saw someone die.. I guess this would just mean 99% of all movies in the world should be forbidden. People which tell people that they are too stupid to not get sick in their brain and therefore need to control what they can watch and watch not is a bit odd..

but you seem to forget... we all play violent video games and we all go out and kill people? ..... or at least thats what the news tells me?? lol [sarcasm]

Oh boohoo, a virtual character is raped, I weep.

Come on, drop this story already.

It'll take more than this to stop Japanese game developers from making the sick, perverted games that keeps their businessmen happy.

Chances are they'll just move on to a new form of depraved entertainment...like SODOMY!

Cpt_Oblivious:
Tomorrow's News Headline: Rape Games Not banned in Japan after all!

You sir must have a crystal ball.

So it is banned now?
Fuck I'm confused

thenumberthirteen:

Malygris:
Syrup Soft has already responded to the new regulations by changing the name of its upcoming game Gang Raped by the Entire Village ~Girls Covered in Milky Liquid~ to The Trap Set by the Entire Village ~Bodies Covered in Milky Liquid~.

I would like to meet the person who comes up with these names. I suppose it loses some of its poetic quality in translation.

I don't think 'peotic' is how it sounds, even in Japanese....I could be wrong, of course, and they could have an entire peotic tradition based around rape, but I doubt...well, its Japan, its possible.

these games just prove how sick men are. not trying to belittle people for their fantasies (its not like im an angel, we've all done things we probably shouldnt) but just the thought that there are people out there who would play a game that simulates raping someone makes me feel ill.

they shouldnt HAVE to ban these kinds of games, people should just realise that this is crossing the line into beastial depravity and not buy them, then they'll stop getting made.

Rajin Cajun:

Murder is murder.

You do not have to kill someone in combat, but I'm willing to bet money you always go for that headshot don't you so you can feel like you're that awesome don't you? In fact the game might even reward you for it. Many games will even reward you for your sadism in the kill like that.

And in many games it's not even combat, it's just murder: Saints Row, GTA, Postal, any other game with innocent bystanders you can kill... etc.

Nice fallacy though.

Caliostro:

Rajin Cajun:

Murder is murder.

You do not have to kill someone in combat, but I'm willing to bet money you always go for that headshot don't you so you can feel like you're that awesome don't you? In fact the game might even reward you for it. Many games will even reward you for your sadism in the kill like that.

And in many games it's not even combat, it's just murder: Saints Row, GTA, Postal, any other game with innocent bystanders you can kill... etc.

Nice fallacy though.

Sadism: The derivation of pleasure as a result of inflicting pain or watching pain inflicted on others.

Hence, a headshot is not sadism. Add to that, most combat games do not showcase the agnony of combat. Again, Manhunt is one of the few expections, and I doubt half as many people play that as the typical combat game.

Rape is all about the pain and suffering inflicted on the victims through control. If thats not present, it isn't really rape. Its centred around a massively different area of our pyschy than combat. And further, given most combat games are centred around the multiplayer, its hard to accept that its murder when the guy you just shot pops up again 1 minute later, alive and well.

I don't mind if it isn't banned.

1) It's a game, there isn't a real child crying in a basement because it's been released.

2) You people act disgusted after killing thousands of "people"? I think you make me sick for your hypocrisy.

WrongSprite:
I don't mind if it isn't banned.

1) It's a game, there isn't a real child crying in a basement because it's been released.

2) You people act disgusted after killing thousands of "people"? I think you make me sick for your hypocrisy.

Again, "people" who are extremely quick to rise from the dead and attempt to shot us back. On top of that, (aside from Manhunt) is there a combat game about torturing the enemy? Or one where main thing is to cause the enemy agnony before they die?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here