Nintendo Announces Golden Sun DS

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Oh fuck....now I have to get a DS.

Now I'm torn. I loved the first two Golden Sun games but I don't have a DS and I'm not sure if getting one is worth it just to play the third game.

I cried man-tears when I heard. :'D

I think... yes, the Golden Sun games were the only JRPGs I've ever actually finished.

I'm more than a bit excited.

I played the second game and it was hard as hell. I'm looking forward to this.

Indigo_Dingo:

DAMN RIGHT.

I've been hoping for one since the end of 2004, getting my first DS phat and watching fake trailers, trying to believe in nothing. Worth the wait. Every second of it.

/conviction

Oh how I missed those perfectly square platforming pieces. The is great news, looks like there is going to be new characters and a new story, this is certainly a welcomed surprise. Now to dust off my good'ole DS.

Indigo_Dingo:

This people is UNIVERSAL AGREEMANT that this game is a killer Apps for the DS. Not Final Fantasy. Fucking GOLDEN SUN.

Theygave us 6 years to wish and hope and beg and all we got was fakes and hoaxes.

This is like a shining beacon of light piercing the ever dark mess that is my DS library. I have plenty of games but none with TONNS of Replay value (until Game Freak learn how to make multiple save files) Golden Sun IS IT.

Also they 'Why?' Felix said was originally ???, it was changed to why in the localization.

Also Piers original name was Picard.

Yeah I never really cared since I named everyone.

The Great JT:
Y'know...looking back at my previous comment of simply saying "nice," I'm excited at the prospect of a new Golden Sun, but then I remembered what system they're releasing it on: The Nintendo DS. Inevitably, they're going to throw in some asinine, useless, moronic touch-screen gimmick for shits and giggles. Now if it was maybe for alchemy and you use the stylus for crushing ingredients in a mortar and pestle, that might not be bad. Actually...lemme write that down, I might want to hold on to that idea. But chances are they're going to incorporate it into combat by making you wildly slice away at the touch screen to swing your sword or some shit.

Plus, if I know Nintendo, the entire time the game's going on you're not once going to see the main character talk in cutscenes. Think about it, in all of Golden Sun, all the dialogue from your party came from Garet, Mia and Ivan, hell even Jenna spoke more than Isaac, and then in The Lost Age you never heard Felix talk and all the exposition came from Sheba, Piers (SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HIS NAME?!) and and Jenna. Hell, once Isaac's party joined Felix's, he finally took the cork out of his mouth and spouted more dialogue than Felix.

One other leery look I have against GSDS (Golden Sun DS) is they're going to turn it more into a typical JRPG. What does that mean? Horrible cutscene-to-action ratio, characters are androgynous 12-year-olds in pajamas who don't have any personalities and all the bad guys' motivations are "because I feel like it," among other complaints. Oh, and all the villages are transformed into sterotypical japanese towns in JRPGs.

Anyway, enough mean-spirited naysaying. We're getting more Golden Sun, bitches!

A: Why would Camelot completely change the formula just because it's on the DS?

B: Touch-screen Psynergy puzzles don't pique your interest even a little?

I think I dirtied the screen.

This will be extraordinary. My whole forum's celebrating.

:D

this actually just made my day.

Onmi:

Indigo_Dingo:

This people is UNIVERSAL AGREEMANT that this game is a killer Apps for the DS. Not Final Fantasy. Fucking GOLDEN SUN.

I'm hardly the litmus test for JRPG fans, I've never even played a Final Fantasy. I can count the number of JRPG series I've played on one hand (For the record, its Golden Sun, Pokemon, Disgaea and Valkyria Chronicles)

Yes. Yes! YES!!! FUCKING YES!!!!
THERE IS A GOD! THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!

...*Clears throat* A-hem... Sorry about that.

But seriously! I've been waiting since the bloody lost ages for this game to be announced! And now that it has been, I am happy, no, I am beyond happy, no, I am happy beyond mortal comprehension. As soon as it's released, I am going to get a DS, I am going to get the game, and anyone that stands in my way shall learn the true meaning of hell.

Oh, and by the way-

THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!! :D

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

About time.

Bibliomancer:
Now I'm torn. I loved the first two Golden Sun games but I don't have a DS and I'm not sure if getting one is worth it just to play the third game.

It's worth it. Of this I am certain.

Indigo_Dingo:

Onmi:

Indigo_Dingo:

I'm hardly the litmus test for JRPG fans, I've never even played a Final Fantasy. I can count the number of JRPG series I've played on one hand (For the record, its Golden Sun, Pokemon, Disgaea and Valkyria Chronicles)

Meh like it makes a difference.

Golden Sun stands out to RPG makers of any origin on how to make a good fucking dungeon. You have your puzzles your unique use of magic outside of combat your music and dungeon looks. It is shocking how after so many years I haven't encountered a dungeon quite as frustrating as Airs Rock ANYWHERE. the damn place was wonderfully crafted and was a bitch to get through for the veterans and the new comers.

It was also a "Follow this Shit" on how to make magic apart of the Gameplay. offering unique solutions to puzzles and allowing you to learn more about the game world.

Golden Sun was a shining example of how you could offer up turn based combat and make it fun. Much like how Persona wouldn't work as a Real Time game Golden Sun would struggle due to it's diversity.

Although i'm saying this right now it better confirm Felix/Sheba.

Because dudes do not throw themselves off fucking lighthouses for girls they 'like'

I can hardly believe this...I spent hours playing the original and The Lost Age. This makes me happy to learn that they're making another one.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

A: Because I've come to expect a certain air of stupidity from game companies who had critically acclaimed and otherwise good games. I like to call it Sonic Team Stupidity Syndrome.

B: No, my interest remains un-piqued.

God dammit...I gotta buy a DS now don't I...*sigh*. Chrono Trigger almost Broke me, FF4 klept poking and taunting me, and now THIS!? This just wants to throw me and my money right over the edge...dammit Nintendo, I can't stay mad at you.

-Seraph-:
God dammit...I gotta buy a DS now don't I...*sigh*. Chrono Trigger almost Broke me, FF4 klept poking and taunting me, and now THIS!? This just wants to throw me and my money right over the edge...dammit Nintendo, I can't stay mad at you.

This people is what Golden Sun meant to US in the GBA era. It was that game we all played and we had an instant classic. It's been 6 years and we still have not forgotten the game about Weyard.

A fucking well fleshed out world to.

Speculation time people, Is Alex coming back? Is that an older Garret who cut his hair or his Son who is RIDICULOUSLY tall. Mia obviously got banged and whoever did it (I think) had blond hair so Issac and Ivan better do a DNA test. Issac's kid is he sisters wit Mia's kid or did he go with Jenna or some (god I hate it when games do this) Unnamed girl with no screen time.

Piers and what the hell happened to him? return to lumeria? sailed the world? opened up a finishing stand? Rain firey death over continents with his flying fucking ship?

SHEBA? Will we ever get her mysteries answered, did she remain with Felix in Vale? Did he go with her to... fuck I forget the name. Did they travel looking for the answers to her past? did they go their seperate ways?

PedroSteckecilo:

Earnest Cavalli:
Fuck yes! The Golden Sun games are the best unknown RPG games in history.

I just hope Nintendo doesn't fuck everything up by making it "casual" or adding stupid DSi-centric camera gimmicks.

I really don't get this...

I didn't like Golden Sun AT ALL... and I love ALL RPG's...

What am I missing here...

I really wanted to like it but I found it so slow, cliche'd and poorly plotted that I couldn't take it.

I thought I was the only one who thought it was meh.
I distinctly remember playing it and always feeling like it was repetitious and overly clichéd. I mean really, anime style hair, doom descends town/world, only the protagonist can save it, kicked out into the world.
I'm just baffled people are treating this like the second coming, maybe if they were releasing a game like Super Mario RPG2 that would be something to thank god for, but another golden sun...yea...

this is going to be interesting looking forward to seeing how they use the second screan

Rednog:

PedroSteckecilo:

Earnest Cavalli:
Fuck yes! The Golden Sun games are the best unknown RPG games in history.

I just hope Nintendo doesn't fuck everything up by making it "casual" or adding stupid DSi-centric camera gimmicks.

I really don't get this...

I didn't like Golden Sun AT ALL... and I love ALL RPG's...

What am I missing here...

I really wanted to like it but I found it so slow, cliche'd and poorly plotted that I couldn't take it.

I thought I was the only one who thought it was meh.
I distinctly remember playing it and always feeling like it was repetitious and overly clichéd. I mean really, anime style hair, doom descends town/world, only the protagonist can save it, kicked out into the world.
I'm just baffled people are treating this like the second coming, maybe if they were releasing a game like Super Mario RPG2 that would be something to thank god for, but another golden sun...yea...

Best way I could possibly explain it is I guess it has that same effect Chrono Trigger had. All those problems you listed where in CT and are oddly enough what made it great. There may have been a lot of cliche and what not but it was done in a manner that was fun and doesn't take itself seriously. I knows it's cliche and just runs wit it and it's just meant to be fun.

Also it was a landmark for handheld RPG's, there really was nothing like it before hand on the game boy. You could consider it a good benchmark for the portable RPG as it contributed a lot. Pretty damn good gameplay and overall design too, the emphasis of use of your powers outside of a battle was refreshing and rather innovative. The dungeon design worked hand in hand with that concept and made dungeons into fun and unique puzzles that were rewarding. Djinn system allowed for nice mix and match abilities to customize characters and give them useful and unique attributes and offered some depth to the combat.

Overall it was just a very solid game that fell into a comfortable area for players with a moderate challenge, fun story, and solid gameplay mechanics with rewarding results.

Damn it. Now I HAVE to get a DSi, and finish The Lost Age.

eelel:
this is going to be interesting looking forward to seeing how they use the second screan

I hope they will do nothing more than what GameFreak did with the Pokemon games, when they made the jump. Also another possibility is that the can make the Link Lobby go online which would be just plain sweet!

AXLE_BULLITT_19:

eelel:

I hope they will do nothing more than what GameFreak did with the Pokemon games, when they made the jump. Also another possibility is that the can make the Link Lobby go online which would be just plain sweet!

me to it would be anoying if they tried to do to much

Things Golden Sun DS should do.

1. Map Psyenergy to the Touch Screen. saves us flipping through a bunch of pace breaking pages or mapping 2 psyenergys when we need 4.

2. Give bonus's to people with the Original/TLA inserted in the DS. Maybe have a cut scene showing Felix and Sheba or Piers added to the game if you have TLA. There we get some added goodies for the fans who have the game and it makes use of the GBA port.

3. Give us the old cast in some form. Be it Issac taking Kradens role of fucking speaking for you or Felix/Piers joining the party at some point as temporary or permanent members. make them fucking involved. These guys are who we grew with, we won't be so open to a new fucking cast of characters who have relation but aren't actually them.

4. Agito and Karst. These guys should be alive because of the Lighthouse beacon going off. Have them be agents of the Wise one or masked warriors aiding the heroes. Have them be a secret boss like other unrelated secret bosses. Trust me on this Camelot there was so much to work with there.

5. You introduced an earth adept on Izumi most likely who will grow up to 'aid Felix's decendents if they need aid' we have Two fucking brats from Imli who studied under Mia, we have a Werewolf with wind powers ad Eoel from Briggs home I believe.

For gods sake Camelot these guys should be all grown up by now. USE THEM. We would love to have continuing plots where the earth adept from Izumi DOES come to our aid when we are down and out. hell they can be the second party!

6. Do not introduce a light/dark lighthouse. Seriously guys we have 4 elements and everything make sense do not fuck with this simply so we can have 2 new lighthouses to explore. The world is fine as it is, it's likely to have been Re-modeled in years and fans will thank you for it.

You can get new dungeons without fucking with the world WE remember trust me on this.

7. Explain Sheba's backstory or die. We waited all fucking game and "Oh lets forget about it" How about fucking no?

I've said it once but i will say it one more time, as a prayer, to whatever gods are listening. Nintendo? can you please not fuck this up? Please?

that said why does everyone believe that h new game will be dealing with the descendants of the characters from golden sun 1 and 2? the last game ended with all four of the lighthouses being activated and the elemental energy being released to he world. although releasing the lighthouses was meant to restore the world, wasn't the released power destined to cause wars? wasn't this why the wise one locked away the power and let the world decay? Nintendo has so much to work with here that it seems ridiculous for them to go on an detail the adventures of their descendants or some other group.

I'll just say it one more time. i don really care what exactly they do with the series in terms of the plot; i like surprises. please fr the love of god though put effort into it, make this game as epic and worthy of praise as the other two. this is your final fantasy Nintendo. if you fuck this up, you and all of the people involved in this project will die to the agonized screams of thousands of golden sun fans. we will descend upon you like the sea, enveloping you, and then their will be nothing.

"Vindictive glare"

Lvl 64 Klutz :

let me take the time to answer "A" properly.

Nintendo is likely to fuck with the core mechanics because they are fucking idiots who have no problem whatsoever with destroying a franchise if it means reaching a wider audience. sure it would be nice to think that they are beyond this and that they are capable of making a great game for the sake of making a great game, but the fact is that in development these games have a focus on sales not quality. if Nintendo fucks this up i will have lost faith in the games industry and will personally see to it that my life is ended over the corpse of some corporate CEO.

As for "B"... my interest is piqued but if they remove the focus from logic and experimentation and place it upon the skill required to move the stylus in a specific fashion then they will have ruined a core focus of the game.

About goddamn time. I've been wanting to see what happens after Golden Sun 2 since I beat it years ago

...Thank you.

-Seraph-:

Rednog:

PedroSteckecilo:

SNIP

SNIP

Best way I could possibly explain it is I guess it has that same effect Chrono Trigger had. All those problems you listed where in CT and are oddly enough what made it great. There may have been a lot of cliche and what not but it was done in a manner that was fun and doesn't take itself seriously. I knows it's cliche and just runs wit it and it's just meant to be fun.

Also it was a landmark for handheld RPG's, there really was nothing like it before hand on the game boy. You could consider it a good benchmark for the portable RPG as it contributed a lot. Pretty damn good gameplay and overall design too, the emphasis of use of your powers outside of a battle was refreshing and rather innovative. The dungeon design worked hand in hand with that concept and made dungeons into fun and unique puzzles that were rewarding. Djinn system allowed for nice mix and match abilities to customize characters and give them useful and unique attributes and offered some depth to the combat.

Overall it was just a very solid game that fell into a comfortable area for players with a moderate challenge, fun story, and solid gameplay mechanics with rewarding results.

Gonna call a little bit of foul on you comparing Golden Sun to Chrono Trigger as such...

Golden Sun had a pretty typical Turn Based System that relied on Random Encounters but did have a fairly interesting Ability System.

Chrono Trigger had a unique, fast, team based combat system, with some ideas that haven't been tried since Chrono did it.

Chrono Trigger presented a unique Time Travel Plot Structure that hadn't really been tried before.

Golden Sun (at least as far as I saw) told a similar story, in a similar way to pretty much every non-squaresoft SNES and early PS1 RPG. As well, some of the scenarios in Golden Sun struck me as... hollow... it was upon meeting Ivan and seeing the intense plot contrivance used in his "story" (if you can call it that) that made me put down the game. Basically after the fairly cool bit with the Wise One... I'm stuck with a lame Fetch Quest to Cross a River... what is this 1996?

Bah!

Maybe one day I'll give Golden Sun a go again... but all the fanboys have soured my opinion towards it.

Yaaaaaaaaaay! Nuff said :P

Judging from my avatar you can probably guess my feelings on this, if you can't "Best gaming news in a long time"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here