Your First Look at the New Zelda

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Your First Look at the New Zelda

Here it is: the first piece of art from Nintendo's work-in-progress Zelda game which may-possibly-but-probably-not come out on Wii next year.

The Legend of Zelda (and the expected sight of Shigeru Miyamoto wielding a Master Sword and Hylian Shield) was conspicuously absent from Nintendo's conference at E3 this year, but Miyamoto did dish a bit about the title during an invite-only post-conference gathering. He even revealed the first art of the game, which Nintendo has now released for public viewing.

Take a look at it to the right (and for a bigger view click here). It's Link, obviously, looking a bit like his Twilight Princess self, with a mysterious blue sculpture (?) standing in front of him. A Zora? Maybe. Is she even alive? I don't know. What's up with that crystal in the center or her chest, and, more importantly, what's with those ugly stockings?

Here's some more fuel for your speculative fires, by way of IGN's interview with Miyamoto himself: "Well, the story setting for this Zelda is, of course, in a completely different era and Link is older than he was previously. More approaching adulthood. There is one hint. Maybe from the art work you can see that he's not holding a sword."

So Link's definitely older. Why doesn't he have a sword? Probably because he hasn't played the first quarter of the game that you always have to get past to get the Master Sword in every damn Zelda. I mean, really, why don't you just give us the Master Sword to begin with? Now Link doesn't even have one at all? Come on.

Keane Ng:

So Link's definitely older. Why doesn't he have a sword? Probably because he hasn't played the first quarter of the game that you always have to get past to get the Master Sword in every damn Zelda.

Hhahaha XD, priceless

Keane, did you see this little comparison?

Someone posted it on another thread about this. Curious, eh?

Keane Ng:
It's Link, obviously, looking a bit like his Twilight Princess self,

I'd say the hair cut is more like Ocarina of Time.

Keane Ng:
Maybe from the art work you can see that he's not holding a sword."

So Link's definitely older. Why doesn't he have a sword?

Because real men fight with their bare hands.

She is the sword, I put money on it.

ZeroMachine:

I rest my case.

Money now says the title is Zelda: Legend of the Master Sword. Or some shit along these lines.

Does that Zora look like the Zora Prince from TP or is it just me?

I noticed that Link is holding a shield in his left hand, in ALL the previous Zelda games Link has been left handed so I'm hoping that this simple "fun-fact" about Link being a leftie isn't changed here in the next title.

ZeroMachine:

Um, none of the bits you linked up really match...But I cant wait for new zelda gamezzzzz... :D

Zelda games < Self harm.

ZeroMachine:

The Master Sword is a person! Or maybe the Master Sword contains the soul of the one who created it and all that shit that will surely bore me to death. But still, Zelda isn't great for it's stories(Okay, sometimes, and I think "story" would be better), it's the fun dungeons and collecting Rupees. Although it would be better if they added some better puzzle elements.

Ashbax:

ZeroMachine:

Um, none of the bits you linked up really match...But I cant wait for new zelda gamezzzzz... :D

First, I didn't make it. Like I said, someone else posted it.

Second... are you blind? The only parts that are stretches with the comparison are her legs/the hilt and her head/the tip of the sword.

Everything else (the gem, the hand guard, the curved part of the blade... it isn't perfect, but it's there.

Blood_Lined:
I noticed that Link is holding a shield in his left hand, in ALL the previous Zelda games Link has been left handed so I'm hoping that this simple "fun-fact" about Link being a leftie isn't changed here in the next title.

Hope they don't change it, made me feel connected to Link, and it feels better that he uses the left hand. Making him righty will just leave us with unease and wondering why they'd change that.

ZeroMachine:

So it's like the Minish Cap, but with the master sword?

Is ALL of links equipment actually alive?

ZeroMachine:

My personal theory (arrived at before reading any fan speculation) was that she's the sword, and this KINDA backs it up. I dunno, it is interesting but seems like a bit of a stretch.

ZeroMachine:

Thank you. I couldn't explain to someone why her being the Sword is possible. Now I can.

Again, thank you.

Did you just call it a Hyrulian Shield?

You're lucky that you have a banhammer because otherwise I would have to nerd rage on you until you remembered for ever that it's called a Hylian Shield.

I'm going to hold off on theories until the game come out (ohh... I can't wait..)

However, I do see your point about her and the sword... ooo... creepy...

BudZer:

You're lucky that you have a banhammer because otherwise I would have to nerd rage on you until you remembered for ever that it's called a Hylian Shield.

Details, details.

(I'll change it, but just because you have Bulbasaur in your avatar.)

Blood_Lined:

Well in the Wii version of TP he was right-handed to accommodate for the majority of the population which is right-handed. In the GameCube version he was still left handed. This is probably the same situation.

If there's no sword in this game, I ain't buying it!

I've always enjoyed Zelda games, so this should be fairly good...

...But I'm still stuck on Twilight Princess, the bit just before you get the Master Sword, I think...

EDIT:

Keane Ng:
more importantly, what's with those ugly stockings?

What's wrong with her stockings?

WrongSprite:

ZeroMachine:

So it's like the Minish Cap, but with the master sword?

Is ALL of links equipment actually alive?

That´s exactly what I said in the other thread. Kinda.
And I like that fact that his sword is alive, because I loved how they did the Minish Cap.

I thought of the master sword angle when I saw that image too. She also sort of looks like the great fairies from Wind Waker.

Keane Ng:

BudZer:

Details, details.

(I'll change it, but just because you have Bulbasaur in your avatar.)

You can't argue with Bulbasaur (even though Squirtle is like a million times better in every way).

To be honest, I don't really know if she's the sword. The thing is the gem. It's the wrong colour, should be yellow, not blue. What this means is that either A) she's not the sword or B) she is the sword and you have to power it (her?) up like in Wind Waker, and the gem changing colour is one of the effects of the powerup.

Interesting. Hope we get more details soon, but probably not because it hasn't been in development long

ZeroMachine:

This is what it is. She is the master sword.

I'm glad we have you to confirm these things iJosh. For a while I was worried that all we would have was speculation but now that an authoritative source has stepped in I can rest easy.

Blood_Lined:

It's just because most of the world is right handed.... and it's a wii game.

Link was actually ambidextrous in the first 4 Zelda games. He would pass the sword to his right hand whenever he faced east.

Even though I do not have a Wii, nor do I have any plans to purchase one in the future, I do hope for the sake of Wii players that this doesn't end up being some cheap gimmick-y Zelda where in the stead of a sword, you point at an enemy with the Wiimote and press a button to toss some dull spell at them. Link is a swordsman, and that is all there is to it.

at first I thought that was a Jet-pack

I was afraid Link was going Sonic and the Black Knight -ish D:

shMerker:
Link was actually ambidextrous in the first 4 Zelda games. He would pass the sword to his right hand whenever he faced east.

hehe, that was the dev team being lazy actually. They said it was something about link keeping the shield towards the north(Death mountain) to block it's evil. I always got a kick out of that. Hehe, well, much as this is one of Nintendo's cash cows, I will be buying it because a Link without his sword could actually be pretty interesting as a story element.

zebrin:
hehe, that was the dev team being lazy actually. They said it was something about link keeping the shield towards the north(Death mountain) to block it's evil. I always got a kick out of that. Hehe, well, much as this is one of Nintendo's cash cows, I will be buying it because a Link without his sword could actually be pretty interesting as a story element.

I don't know about lazy. Having Link hold his sword on the side facing the player reads a lot more clearly than if it's covered up by his shield so it serves a practical purpose beyond reducing the amount of tiles for Link by 25%.

chromewarriorXIII:

Blood_Lined:

Well in the Wii version of TP he was right-handed to accommodate for the majority of the population which is right-handed. In the GameCube version he was still left handed. This is probably the same situation.

Wasn't it because the whole game was mirrored? The GC version of TP had Link handed normally.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.