Dungeons & Dragons Online Going Free-to-Play - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Dungeons & Dragons Online Going Free-to-Play - UPDATED

Turbine has announced Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited, a new free-to-play upgrade to the one and only D&D MMOG.

DDO Unlimited will offer free play with no time limits, level caps, subscriptions or credit card information required. Like other free-to-play MMOGs, players can simply create an account, log in and begin playing, but in DDO Unlimited gamers will get an extra bonus: Points that can be earned through adventuring and then spent in the "DDO Store," where players can buy customization items, premium adventure packs, convenience items and more.

Players who want unlimited access to all Dungeons & Dragons Online content will still be able to purchase subscriptions, which will include a monthly allowance of Turbine points, priority access to servers, the full range of classes and races, additional character slots and more. The DDO VIP subscription will cost $14.99 per month.

"You are absolutely under no obligation to purchase anything from the DDO Store in order to play and progress in the game," the DDO Unlimited FAQ says. "While the store offers items of convenience, content, and character customization, there is no substitute for the glory and rewards that await you in the dungeons of DDO Unlimited."

There will be some content restrictions for free players, who will have to pay for access to the Monk class and Warforged and Drow races, and will be limited to the "Stormreach and vicinity" areas in the game. Free players will be given two character slots and use the standard login queue, and will also be subject to limitations on chat, auctions, mail and gold storage.

I've always been more of an Abeir-Toril man myself and I was disappointed when I read that Turbine was using a new realm for D&D Online, but I'm more than happy to take a stroll through Eberron if someone else is footing the bill. The DDO Unlimited beta began today and the game is scheduled to open to the public this summer. For more information, go to DDO.com.

UPDATE: Codemasters, which operates Dungeons & Dragons Online in Europe, has clarified that the free-to-play model will only be available in North America. "For the time being, DDO Europe will not be assuming this new business model and the European DDO game service will remain a monthly subscription-based game with all new content created available to all subscribers, as has been the model up until now," Codemasters said in a statement.

"As the beta progresses we will release more information regarding the future plans for EU players," the company said.

Source: GamesIndustry

Your welcome Malygris. :P

If this wasn't official I'd be snarky and point out that Ghostwise found this a few hours ago, in fact it's why I'm on probation.

But still, I might give the game a go. Not anymore, I wanted the whole game. Grr.

Well, pretty cool... I played it for the trial + 2 weeks from the free 30 days (I paid $6 for the CD-Key, so I guess I had a nice deal). It's just that... It's too boring. No exp for monsters is a joke, since one of the main points of DnD is killing monsters and getting EXP points for them.

...Oh, so people DON'T get everything the paying people do? That's a bummer.

This isn't free to play. This is a never-ending demo. There is a difference.

level250geek:

You can get to the level cap in the "demo" though. A bit more than a demo I would say.

Every time I talk myself out of delving into another MMO, something happens to make me think again. DDO... free... damn it.

I would get this, but the land limitations is too much. Its like getting WoW and only having access to Durotar.

Malygris:

There will be some content restrictions for free players, who will have to pay for access to the Monk class and Warforged and Drow races, and will be limited to the "Stormreach and vicinity" areas in the game. Free players will be given two character slots and use the standard login queue, and will also be subject to limitations on chat, auctions, mail and gold storage.

That seems like a pretty darn big set of limitations. It's not free to play they're just offering a glorified demo.

I will play it. Had a lot of fun in the trial and could have alot more even with limitations just stops me from spending all my time on it. This was one of the few MMORPG's that I almost paid the monthly fee for. The other was FF:XI but I am just to cheap to pay per month for something it makes me feel like I have to spend my time on it or else I am wasting money.

Its hard to get into a game when you know you'll never be good at it.

level250geek:

I like Penny Arcade's term: freemium.

vivaldiscool:

Malygris:

That seems like a pretty darn big set of limitations. It's not free to play they're just offering a glorified demo.

Actually this is a pretty big area if I am not mistaken. These limitations are no different than other games that offer free play and pay to play.

Ghostwise:

For what?

There's an awful lot of complaining here over something that's free. You want the "whole game" free? Turbine says free game content will be plentiful at lower levels and then become sparser as you move through the game, so why not try it out and see what happens? I really don't see how this is anything but a win for MMOG fans.

DDO online is pretty interesting, it has some of the most immersive combat ive ever seen in an mmo, also im not sure you know this but originally in D&D players only got experience when they found loot on a monster. so you know quest based exp is not that bad.

vivaldiscool:

Malygris:

It may be a fair few limitations, but its free, so Im not gonna complain. Do you expect them to give you the full game for free? So they cant make any money? Its them doing business, and I highly respect how theyre giving more than a 4 second trial that only allows you to get to the login screen, make a guy and do the first quest before your time runs out and you didnt play enough to really experience the game.

Ok, so from what I'm gathering this is using the Runescape method: teasing the player with some good material and most of the basics, but leaving the best bits out of reach unless you want to pay. I don't really see the issue: at least people can play a good portion of the game for free, right?

This wins. Who doesn't like free stuff? If you get bored, make another character. The free game seems extremely fun and replayable (remember the dungeon level difficulties? those were great!).
Personally, I can't wait. Now I know what to do until November!

Actually this ranks as one of the best pieces of news OF THE YEAR.

I'm certainly not going to complain that they are offering something for free. I have played the trial of DDO and liked it enough that, had I either a) the money for another monthly subscription or b) the willpower to stop playing one of the other games I'm subscribed to, I may have signed up right then.

With this change, I won't have any reason not to go back. The only thing that worries me a little is the limitation they are putting on "Geography". But I have to wait and see how it plays out before making any decisions.

Malygris:

Ghostwise:

For what?

There's an awful lot of complaining here over something that's free. You want the "whole game" free? Turbine says free game content will be plentiful at lower levels and then become sparser as you move through the game, so why not try it out and see what happens? I really don't see how this is anything but a win for MMOG fans.

Indeed, people need to quit thar bitchin. It IS after all, a ploy to get you to PAY for the game so they can MAKE MONEYS. But it's nice of them and is a step beyond the demo's most MMO's offer.

Abedeus:
Well, pretty cool... I played it for the trial + 2 weeks from the free 30 days (I paid $6 for the CD-Key, so I guess I had a nice deal). It's just that... It's too boring. No exp for monsters is a joke, since one of the main points of DnD is killing monsters and getting EXP points for them.

Well, in the campaign that I played you didn't get exp for killing monsters directly, instead you got xp at the end of a module and the amount depended on how well you did in general.

I don't want to play it because well, when leveling I need something to look forward to, I need there to be a very good endgame and with the limitations I presume most of that stuff would be left out so I don't think the grind is worth it.
That's the thing with MMOs, it isn't just money you are spending, you are also asked to put a lot of effort in it, and yes, while leveling is fun, it's only so because you know what awaits you when you are done.

I have heard lots of good things about this game, and I'm absolutely thrilled to try it out. I don't think I mind the restrictions, since I'm not familiar at all with DnD universe. Monk class or whatever..that means absolutely nothing for me.

I think it is a great way to draw in newcomers to the series. I just want a good intro into the DnD universe. And I'm sure the community will be much better than most other games anyway.

The problem with DDO was it was way too hard for beginning players. Recently, they've added content at lower levels and a whole new tutorial. They've done a great job catering to newer players.

As to the higher level stuff there's a lot more of it than when the cap was 10. I'm pretty sure you'll still get to do a ton of the raids and content even on a free trial.

The combat is the best aspect of this game by far. No click....wait.....click, it's all realtime.

As to complaining about it being a glamorized demo, gimmie a break......FREE. I guess everyone has to complain about something.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to complain about something that's free, I'm just saying the "WHOOP!" I felt when I read the thread title turned into a "Hrmm..." After I read the OP.

Yay! Now if only I had a computer capable of playing it!

Is it Mac-compatible?

Malygris:

Ghostwise:

For what?

/facepalm

I was referring to me breaking the story over an hour before you posted your "news". But w/e! I for one am grateful that it's going f2p. Pretty sure I never complained but yeah....you act like I kicked your damn dog or something. Color me confused.

level250geek:

So demos aren't free to play?

ive seen this Tactic before, go it?

Wow, sounds great. I might give this game a try, if my computer can handle it. I just hope there's enough content available to make it worth my while.

Ghostwise:

Malygris:

Ghostwise:

For what?

/facepalm

I was referring to me breaking the story over an hour before you posted your "news". But w/e! I for one am grateful that it's going f2p. Pretty sure I never complained but yeah....you act like I kicked your damn dog or something. Color me confused.

I'm pretty sure the "For what?" was the only part of his post aimed at you, cause he didn't know why you "you're welcome"-ed him.

His comment about the complaints was for all the other people after your post that were complaining.

So answer me this neigh sayers....If I already bought DnD Online and paid for it monthly for a while before being pulled away by World of Warcraft. Can I now just log back on after re-installing it and play to my hearts content without them eating chunks of my moneyz each month?

DamienHell:
I would get this, but the land limitations is too much. Its like getting WoW and only having access to Durotar.

Well, to be clear they said "Stormreach and vicinity" which if I remember right was the whole game at release anyway. Unless my memory is bad, when the game came out, the city of Stormreach was all there was to the game...it was just a really big city with tons of instanced dungeans/quests.

So this is kind of like saying "You can play WoW for free but are limited to the original Horde/Alliance continents". Granted Stormreach is not as big as those two continents, my point is you get most everything from the original game. The stuff you don't have free access to is stuff that either didn't exist in the original release (monk class, areas/quests outside the city) or content that you had to unlock through achievements (Drow, Warforged, etc.).

As for some of the other posts complaining about free players not getting everything the paying players get, what would be the point of even being a paying player if you can get it all for free? It's a company, not a charity.

I swear, if a company doesn't go out of business by giving all their products away for free, some people just won't be happy.

I'll tell ya what. Tomorrow when you go into work, tell your boss/payroll department that you'll work for free from now on and see how long that lasts before you lose your house and starve to death.

It's unfortunate how many players these days live in a place called La-La-Land, where game companies magically don't need money to operate, and where their employees out of the goodness of their hearts volunteer to go in and work for 8-12 hours a day, free of charge, to answer Customer Support calls, work on the servers, fix bugs, and develop new content.

I don't much care for the free-to-play-buy-the-extras approach myself. I prefer monthly memberships. But, I can see the benefits for some games to go the RMT route. DDO is really a very good, high quality MMO...much better than the typical free ones out there...and if this move can keep the game up and running for a lot longer then I can only see that as a good thing for it's players.

And it's really no different than the tabletop version of D&D where you can get by on the original game alone, but the players had to go out and buy pre-made campaigns and extra armor/weapons/monster/special classes books if they wanted a more richly detailed gaming experience.

Yeah, the part about complaining was directed at other posts. And for the record, I was well aware of why you posted it, the "for what" crack was a zing, perhaps a bit too gentle, about the fact that, as we've said numerous times before, there are plenty of people who read the news forum without bothering with any of the others and we generally don't encourage "lol beat the news team" types of posts.

On topic: Oh, how I wish this was AD&DO.

I'm sad to see that it'll only be for North America, but I hope I'll be able to get onto the US servers...

Malygris:
On topic: Oh, how I wish this was AD&DO.

Heh, maybe sometime in the future, if this style ends up working for Turbine, they can make a new game based on an actually popular AD&D setting, like a Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance setting.

Seriously, what made them think they'd have a wide mass-market appeal using Eberron...a setting most people, even casual D&D'ers, have never heard of. My understanding is that only the hard-core D&D fans knew what Eberron was.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here