Dio Cut From Brütal Legend

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dio Cut From Brütal Legend

Former Black Sabbath frontman Ronnie James Dio, one of several heavy metal icons slated to make an appearance in the upcoming Brütal Legend, has been removed from the game.

Dio's management confirmed with Blabbermouth.net that his vocal work for the game has been cut, although the character he played has not: Dio is apparently being replaced by none other than Tim Curry. Nobody is saying yet why the change was made, although there have been suggestions that the rift between Dio and his Black Sabbath predecessor, Ozzy Osbourne (perhaps fueled by his wife, Sharon, who seems to have little tolerance for anyone who threatens to outshine her man), who also appears in the game, may have had something to do with it.

The good news in all this is the addition of Curry, an actor of some repute who's not entirely unfamiliar with the realm of videogames: He provided the voice of the title character in the 1993 Sierra release Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers and has performed in several other game roles since, most recently appearing as the diabolical Soviet Premier Anatoly Cherdenko in Commander & Conquer: Red Alert 3.

An explanation for the switch will no doubt be forthcoming but in the meantime we can all have some fun theorizing about what happened. I'm betting on the simple, dull and obvious reason: Dio's voice work just wasn't making the cut and he had to be replaced. Ozzy's spot in the game is assured simply by virtue of his famously garbled speech, but Dio, while a great singer, doesn't have that immediately identifiable schtick to fall back on. Metal purists may be unhappy with the switch but sometimes it's just better to go with the pro.

via: Joystiq

Hm, Ozzy versus Ronnie...screamy throat singing versus windpipe of gold...Crazy Train versus Holy Diver...Black Sabbath, War Pigs and Iron Man versus Neon Knights, Heaven and Hell and Children of the Sea. Peace sign versus THE FUCKIN' HORNS.

CUT THE FUCK OUTTA OZZY.

NO NOT DIO!!!!

Man...a game about Heavy Metal without Dio...

Well it still has Lemmy, Ozzy, Lita Ford and Rob Halford.

The Great JT:
Hm, Ozzy versus Ronnie...screamy throat singing versus windpipe of gold...Crazy Train versus Holy Diver...Black Sabbath, War Pigs and Iron Man versus Neon Knights, Heaven and Hell and Children of the Sea. Peace sign versus THE FUCKIN' HORNS.

CUT THE FUCK OUTTA OZZY.

AGREED!

Ronnie James Dio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ozzy Osbourne

Ah, RJD. You're like a rainbow in the dark, my friend. A rainbow. In the dark. Think about it.

bloody typical, why is there always some kind of drama that results in us (the fans) being proverbially dumped on?

Dio is tons better than dear old Ozzy and I would like to suggest that if Sharon DID have something to do with this (and I bet she did) then she should remember that no-one's interested in her opinion... she married a rock legend, and turned him into an old man.

BTW just remembered this is almost the same as when she tried to mess up Iron Maiden during a live performance.

Psychosocial:

The Great JT:

CUT THE FUCK OUTTA OZZY.

AGREED!

Ronnie James Dio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ozzy Osbourne

You seem to have put the names in the wrong order. Everybody and their grandma knows that Ozzy is a milion times better than Dio. Not that I have anything against Dio, great guy, love Heaven and Hell, but Ozzy Osbourne is the motherfuckin' Prince of Darkness and Godfather of Metal. You just can't beat that.

But... Dio is better...

Dio can you hear me?
I am lost and so alone...
I'm askin' for your guidance,
Would you come down from your throne?
I need a tight compadre
Who will teach me how to rock...

Ronnie James Who?

The infamous SCAMola:

Psychosocial:

The Great JT:

CUT THE FUCK OUTTA OZZY.

AGREED!

You seem to have put the names in the wrong order. Everybody and their grandma knows that Ozzy is a milion times better than Dio. Not that I have anything against Dio, great guy, love Heaven and Hell, but Ozzy Osbourne is the motherfuckin' Prince of Darkness and Godfather of Metal. You just can't beat that.

Dio is a better singer. But Ozzy is more iconic.

It wouldn't really be a rock game without some drama hitching up development, this just adds to the magic.

Will Tim Curry be doing his dodgy Russian accent?

oliveira8:
NO NOT DIO!!!!

Well it still has Lemmy, Ozzy, Lita Ford and Rob Halford.

Still, Tim Curry fits into the humour side of this game, and hopefully they'll be able to morph the existing character to take advantage of his crazyyyyy voice.

curlycrouton:
Dio can you hear me?
I need a tight compadre

Ozzie Osbourne thinks you're evil but man he can suck a ****
Rock is not the devil's work it's magical and rad
I'll never rock as long as I am stuck here with that fad

:D

Umm.. I think that having ozzy involved would turn OFF more people than turn ON.. I mean.. helloo.. the Osbournes? I think that we are Ozzy'd out already.

This is LAME. Dio, I love you <3

oliveira8:

Dio is a better singer. But Ozzy is more iconic.

Meh, I disagree, they have very different styles and both have their own songs. Obviouslly something like Paranoid or Iron Man is better suited for Ozzy while something like Heaven and Hell is obviously a Dio song. You get the two to do each other's songs, and it ain't that good anymore.

Bullshit! If Ozzys mumbled mess of the English language is the schtick your referring to, I'll take Ronnie any day. The man taught metal how to throw the horns. Thats big.

Leftnt Sharpe:
Will Tim Curry be doing his dodgy Russian accent?

One can only hope so.

The only slight consolation to the fact he's replacing Dio is the possibility that he hams it up like in Red Alert 3. By Dio was that funny.

Still, even if you resurrected Peter Sellers himself and had him doing his Swedish sailor impression, it still wouldn't quite make up for cutting Ronnie James Dio from a metal game. Not even all the dodgy accents in Hammywood could make up for this travesty.

Um...

Holy Diver! How can they allow the man who rrrides the tiger to be cut from a game about cheesy metal?

Russ Pitts:
Ah, RJD. You're like a rainbow in the dark, my friend. A rainbow. In the dark. Think about it.

hahahahaha, the sad part is no one will really get that but it's funny

WRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Oh, not that Dio...

headshotcatcher:

curlycrouton:
Dio can you hear me?
I need a tight compadre

Ozzie Osbourne thinks you're evil but man he can suck a ****
Rock is not the devil's work it's magical and rad
I'll never rock as long as I am stuck here with that fad

:D

Amen brothers! I was just listening to that.

Besides, Jack Black did a lot more work with Dio that Ozzy. Maybe Dio doesn't have a Brittish accent, but I'd still prefer him over Ozzy or Curry.

Oh noes! Ah, well, as much as I like Dio in, well, Dio, Rainbow, Sabbath, etc. I'm not terribly hurt.

NOOOO!!! Why Dio, why would they cut the greatest heavy metal vocalist ever!?

The infamous SCAMola:
Everybody and their grandma knows that Ozzy is a milion times better than Dio... Ozzy Osbourne is the motherfuckin' Prince of Darkness and Godfather of Metal. You just can't beat that.

Agreed.

As far as I'm concerned, Dio's just such a clown. At least Ozzy made good music.

Hmm, actually the first time I've heard of Ozzy's involvement. I just hope when his character speaks, subtitles are provided like when someone starts speaking a foreign language in an English film.
Shame to lose Dio; I thought his involvement was one of the things that cemented Jack Black to the project? Maybe Jables will fight to get him back.
All in all, still cool to have Tim "Dr. Frankenfurter" Curry involved now. :-)

oliveira8:
NO NOT DIO!!!!

Dude, he's still there at least: even if its not actually him saying his lines.

I wanted to see Ozzy in there, so I guess I'll make do with Dio's voice not being present...

tendo82:
Holy Diver! How can they allow the man who rrrides the tiger to be cut from a game about cheesy metal?

Pretty much this in a nutshell. Unfortunately, while Dio may be the superior, Ozzy is a bigger draw. Although I can see why they did it, it would have been nice to hear the little man with the big voice.

To be fair Tim Curry is much much cooler, and sexier. Now if they can just get meatloaf in there somewhere I'll be happy.

scotth266:

oliveira8:
NO NOT DIO!!!!

Dude, he's still there at least: even if its not actually him saying his lines.

I wanted to see Ozzy in there, so I guess I'll make do with Dio's voice not being present...

But his voice is...him!

Dio without Dio voice is no Dio!

FAIL, I say! FAIL!

DaxStrife:
Hmm, actually the first time I've heard of Ozzy's involvement. I just hope when his character speaks, subtitles are provided like when someone starts speaking a foreign language in an English film.
Shame to lose Dio; I thought his involvement was one of the things that cemented Jack Black to the project? Maybe Jables will fight to get him back.

I'm hoping that with Ozzy, all you hear is an incoherant, expletive-filled mumble with Antiquanted Linguistic subtitles.
And with Dio, not everyone is cut out to be a voice actor. I'm sure that if they had left Dio's voice in the game, people would complain about the bad quality, so it's a case of having an unpleasable fanbase.

No Dio? Not getting.
Tim Curry! Moral dilemma.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook