Tim Schafer Explains Dio's Removal from Brütal Legend

Tim Schafer Explains Dio's Removal from Brütal Legend

Brütal Legend designer Tim Schafer has commented on the removal of Ronnie James Dio from the game's cast and unfortunately, there's no rock-n-roll drama to be found anywhere.

It was revealed yesterday that Dio's voice work had been cut from the upcoming heavy metal action game and while no reason was given, speculation immediately focused on the singer's ongoing personality clash with Ozzy Osbourne, an even more legendary if somewhat less talented metal icon who also appears in the game. The actual reason, however, is far less interesting.

"Ronnie James Dio is an amazing singer and truly one of the great figures of Metal, but as the character of Doviculus evolved, we realized that Tim Curry was a better fit for the part," Brütal Legend designer Tim Schafer said in a statement. "Anyone who has seen his amazing performance as the Lord of Darkness in the movie Legend knows why we cast him in the role of Doviculus, Emperor of the Tainted Coil."

Not nearly as entertaining as Sharon Osbourne messing with Iron Maiden at Ozzfest, perhaps, but perfectly reasonable. Characters evolve over the course of a game's development and it's not surprising that voice actors would now and then change as a part of that process. The loss of Ronnie James is unfortunate for a game that promises to be an all-out celebration of the metal mystique, but on the bright side, it's hard to imagine the addition of Tim Curry to the game as anything but pretty damn cool.

Source: Destructoid

I prefer the Heavy Metal Drama Ozzy vs Dio reason.

oliveira8:

Here here. Dio shall always be the victor of that conflict in my mind.

oliveira8:

So let's just say that's the real reason. Because it's faaaar more fun that way.

Yay, Tim Curry!

After watching the trailer...Looks like it'll be a laugh.

*edit* my mistake...its coming out on ps3 too..yay.

Does Ozzy even know who Dio is? He struggles to remember his own name lately.

I was hoping for an all-out war between two clans headed by those two guys.

scnj:
Does Ozzy even know who Dio is? He struggles to remember his own name lately.

His wife remenbers him, who he needs to hate.

They're both idiots, and their music is poor by my standards....so I really couldn't care less.

Susan Arendt:

oliveira8:

So let's just say that's the real reason. Because it's faaaar more fun that way.

Agree'd.

Who would win a an all out fist fight? Tell us oh Wise and wonderful Susan.

Still, I like Ozzy better than Dio.

WTF TIM CURRY?!?!

Oh wait, it's Tim Curry. Good, but not Dio.

wasn't tim curry in red alert 3?

You know what...I wasn't ever so bothered by DIO..

I think that ozzys twisted voice is way better than anything dio does or will pull off

You gotta admit when you think how many times Tim curry has played the role of the Villian it is because of his voice. Truly a good choice and he does good voice acting just like his own acting. When I think of villians I think Tim curry.

WrongSprite:
They're both idiots, and their music is poor by my standards....so I really couldn't care less.

Tim Curry does music?

ElArabDeMagnifico:

WrongSprite:

Tim Curry does music?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rocky_Horror_Picture_Show

Wizzie:

Susan Arendt:

oliveira8:

Agree'd.

Oh, Dio, all the way. He's tiny, but he's scrappy as hell. Plus, his gramma used to put curses on people.

ElArabDeMagnifico:

WrongSprite:

Tim Curry does music?

A) Yes.
B) Was that supposed to be a joke? 'Cause I meant Ozzy and Dio.

Maybe Dio can be in the SEQUEL (WE CAN DREAM)

Who the FUCK is Tim Curry?

TsunamiWombat:
Maybe Dio can be in the SEQUEL (WE CAN DREAM)

Now there's an idea. (YES, WE CAN). (Aaah! political joke....Get it?).

Raregolddragon:
Who the FUCK is Tim Curry?

Lukeje:

ElArabDeMagnifico:

WrongSprite:

Tim Curry does music?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rocky_Horror_Picture_Show

Oh God, I forgot about that. I don't know how I forgot, because clearly that's something no one can forget, but I did.

WrongSprite:

ElArabDeMagnifico:

WrongSprite:

Tim Curry does music?

A) Yes.
B) Was that supposed to be a joke? 'Cause I meant Ozzy and Dio.

No actually, I really thought you meant Dio and TC. Mainly because this story seems to be more about Tim replacing Dio so that just came to mind first.

WrongSprite:

Did you just call Rainbow In The Dark poor?

Because that just really, really hurts in my heart, hearing someone disrespect something as holy as Ronnie James Dio.

Susan Arendt:

Wizzie:

Agree'd.

Oh, Dio, all the way. He's tiny, but he's scrappy as hell. Plus, his gramma used to put curses on people.

Right then, off to put a bet on this bad boy.
50/50 split on the winnings Susan =]

Psychosocial:

WrongSprite:

Because that just really, really hurts in my heart, hearing someone disrespect something as holy as Ronnie James Dio.

Yeah, it's boring as hell. And Dio just sounds irritating. *His voice I mean*.

WrongSprite:

Psychosocial:

WrongSprite:

I'm so angry I'm gonna go shoot some black people in Resident Evil 5. See? I can say that without being a racist, thank god for that game.

Psychosocial:

WrongSprite:

Psychosocial:

WrongSprite:

I'm so angry I'm gonna go shoot some black people in Resident Evil 5. See? I can say that without being a racist, thank god for that game.

Actually, theres both black and white enemies in that game, so the fact that you specifically decided to hunt down black people makes it a teensy bit racist.

^_^

WrongSprite:

Psychosocial:

WrongSprite:

Psychosocial:

WrongSprite:

Actually, theres both black and white enemies in that game, so the fact that you specifically decided to hunt down black people makes it a teensy bit racist.

^_^

They look mexican to me, and that's almost black.

As much as I love Tim Curry, he is absolutely no replacement for Dio, in any game based upon Metal. Tim was, however, awesome in Legend and Clue.

Morne

Malygris:
Not nearly as entertaining as Sharon Osbourne messing with Iron Maiden at Ozzfest, perhaps, but perfectly reasonable.

Oh god, that was hilarious wasn't it. Aahh, takes me back...

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.