Halo Killer Sentenced to Life

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Halo Killer Sentenced to Life

Daniel Petric, the teenager who killed his mother and wounded his father after they refused to let him play Halo 3, has been sentenced to life in prison.

Petric purchased a copy of Halo 3 and tried to sneak it into his house despite being told by his parents that he wasn't allowed to own or play the game. They caught him and took the game away; in response, Petric shot them with a 9 mm handgun his father kept in an unlocked lock box, killing his mother and severely wounding his father, and then tried to pin the murder on his father.

Petric's attorneys admitted their client had pulled the trigger but shifted the blame onto his youth and "videogame addiction," which they said diminished his responsibility for the crime. The judge in the case rejected the claim as a valid defense when he found Petric guilty of aggravated murder and attempted aggravated murder and despite a request for leniency from the teen's father sentenced him today to life in prison for the attack, with eligibility for parole in 23 years.

Interestingly, the judge did express serious reservations about the impact of videogames on the mental well-being of kids in January when he announced the guilty verdict and said he believed they were in large part responsible for turning Petric into a killer. "It's my firm belief that after a while the same physiological responses occur that occur in the ingestion of some drugs. And I believe that an addiction to these games can do the same thing," he said. "And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

The judge also implied at the time that he didn't necessarily consider the guilty verdict the end of the matter. "I believe there is hope here," he continued. "I believe that it will start here and at some point, when all is known about Daniel and what occurred here, we will be able to achieve a greater sense of justice."

Source: Cleveland.com, via GamePolitics

I find it odd that his father requested leniency despite being shot by him. Just doesn't make sense to me.

scnj:
I find it odd that his father requested leniency despite being shot by him. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Nobody wants to see their child in jail for life.

scnj:

Its still his son.

Well have fun playing in jail. Poor kid, i hope they gave him the psychological treatment he needed instead of just locking him up.

xmetatr0nx:

scnj:

Its still his son.

Well have fun playing in jail. Poor kid, i hope they gave him the psychological treatment he needed instead of just locking him up.

Maybe, but he killed his mother and attempted to kill his father. If I'd been the father, I think I'd want to have him locked up for fear of a repeat performance.

scnj:

xmetatr0nx:

scnj:

Its still his son.

Maybe, but he killed his mother and attempted to kill his father. If I'd been the father, I think I'd want to have him locked up for fear of a repeat performance.

I as well. Why I'm never having kids, they betray you as you go on.

But why was the lockbox unlocked, and the kid have the experience with a gun to load it with ammo (If the gun was in the box loaded that's even worse) and fire it? Videogames are the fault my ass, it's always psycho people.

Also when I read the title I thought it was referencing games that called themselves "Halo Killers".

I don't think this had anything to do with video games! it was just a child being a spoiled brat!

scnj:

xmetatr0nx:

scnj:

Its still his son.

Yeah, well, maybe the crazy apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

"It's my firm belief that after a while the same physiological responses occur that occur in the ingestion of some drugs." I base this, obviously, on absolutely no scientific evidence. But, being a judge, I'm used to making shit up on the fly and having it taken as authority, so, you know...

This is just some retarded attempt to shift the blame on videogames. He must have been mentally disturbed to have killed his parents over something like this.
The way i see it, its just an attempt to shift the blame from inadequate gun control laws. The americans can't lose their guns now can they. Lets blame all the violence on games instead of giving out guns like candy.

Glad to see he was tried for his crime and the judge threw out the video game defense but the second part really bothers me because we all know the judge brought in his own personal beliefs still making the possibility of a video game defense possible allowing horrendous crimes such as murder acceptable if you are a kid.

Video games don't kill people, people do.

A person has to really be on the edge mentally or be a short a few cards from a full deck if the rational decides that killing your loved ones over a video game is the best option.

I blame halo not all video games!(nah I kid)

People also shouldn't be keeping guns in an easy to get and loaded.

scnj:

It was a Christian family, which is why the parents didn't want their son playing Halo. They thought it was too violent. Personally, I find it more odd that a Christian man would have a 9mm handgun in an unlocked box, and his son knew where it was.

At any rate, he asked for leniency because Christ calls Christians to be merciful and forgiving.
Whether or not you agree I guess it still on the table, but those were his motivations.

Perhaps the kid thought that his parents had more then one life?

Perhaps not. Life is like a game. You're only given one life and the Konami Code doesn't work.

"He killed his family."

"And?"

"He played Halo 3."

"WHAT? BAN THE GAME!"

Sucks that a young kid got his entire life ruined, but he deserves it. I don't see how anyone could look at this situation and say that it's all the videogame's fault, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the kid.

NoMoreSanity:
But why was the lockbox unlocked, and the kid have the experience with a gun to load it with ammo and fire it?

He obviously learned from his short time playing Halo 3.

MGG=REVIEWS :
I don't think this had anything to do with video games! it was just a child being a spoiled brat!

It had to do with addiction. From What I can gather the kid was either plain out psycho or was addicted to halo, and if it was the latter his parents taking it away would trigger an event like this. that's not saying it was the games fault, if he had been addicted to a movie or a TV show and his parents took it away the same thing could have happened.

poncho14:

Exactly it should be a call for better gun control. Jesus people if you insist on owning a gun and have kids lock them up. The gun was in a lockbox, an UNLOCKED lockbox, WTF is that?? Oh quick before the anti-NRA gets on our asses we'll blame games instead.

xmetatr0nx:

I'm not sure what treatment you could do for a sociopath. I would be that he tortures small animals, and wet his bed to a late age. I would say he's better off behind bars, I wouldn't want to find out what he does next after someone sets him off by doing some miniscule action.

kotaku actually said that he wasn't sentenced to life, but 23 years with parole after 20...

squid5580:

poncho14:

Exactly it should be a call for better gun control. Jesus people if you insist on owning a gun and have kids lock them up. The gun was in a lockbox, an UNLOCKED lockbox, WTF is that?? Oh quick before the anti-NRA gets on our asses we'll blame games instead.

Gun safety isn't anti NRA dood. Most people are just lazy (go figure) and don't bother locking them up, and then they wonder how little Billy shot himself.

If not videogames it would have been something else. People don't go batshit crazy because they play video games a lot. Either you're a nutcase or you're not.

black lincon:
It had to do with addiction. From What I can gather the kid was either plain out psycho or was addicted to halo, and if it was the latter his parents taking it away would trigger an event like this. that's not saying it was the games fault, if he had been addicted to a movie or a TV show and his parents took it away the same thing could have happened.

Bollocks to that, I say. People don't draw a gun on someone unless they're already fucked up. His 'addiction' had nothing to do with this.

NoMoreSanity:

But why was the lockbox unlocked, and the kid have the experience with a gun to load it with ammo (If the gun was in the box loaded that's even worse) and fire it? Videogames are the fault my ass, it's always psycho people.

The kid looks like he's in his late teens, and the fact that he's addicted to video games, i'm pretty sure he knows where the bullets go and what end fires the hurt out.

bue519:
I'm not sure what treatment you could do for a sociopath. I would be that he tortures small animals, and wet his bed to a late age. I would say he's better off behind bars, I wouldn't want to find out what he does next after someone sets him off by doing some miniscule action.

Well youre painting him as completely hopeless. He is still young and has a chance for rehabilitation. I dont think people with mental disorders should just be locked up, this isnt the turn of the century we have modern psychiatric methods for people like this. Then again i am on my way to becoming a psychiatrist myself so i might be a bit biased.

That's what a life sentence is... It's not actually "life". Varying on the nation it's 7-20 years in most cases. The US gave him an indeterminate life sentence.

Quite frankly I'm more perturbed by the judges comments.

black lincon:

MGG=REVIEWS :

Wow I love the world today. We can blame everything on addiction. Lets just take any personal responsibility and throw it out the window. Soon gamers are gonna be at the corners of Gamestop lookin for thier next fix. Maybe grind up those DVDs and snort them. Use the instruction books as rolling papers and smoke them puppies.

WrongSprite:

scnj:

Nobody wants to see their child in jail for life.

If my kid shot me I would.

Seriously. Somebody as disturbed as that doesn't deserve anything less.

xmetatr0nx:

bue519:

Well youre painting him as completely hopeless. He is still young and has a chance for rehabilitation. I dont think people with mental disorders should just be locked up, this isnt the turn of the century we have modern psychiatric methods for people like this. Then again i am on my way to becoming a psychiatrist myself so i might be a bit biased.

Well, then I wish you luck on your career path. I just don't think that there is a cure for sociopathic behavior. Now I don't think that he should be sent to a normal prison, as that would on exacerbate the behavior. However, I don't believe he should be released while he still exhibits these behaviors, I mean for Christ sakes he tried to pin the crime on his father.

EMFCRACKSHOT:

The way i see it, its just an attempt to shift the blame from inadequate gun control laws. The americans can't lose their guns now can they. Lets blame all the violence on games instead of giving out guns like candy.

This could have been easily avoided if the box the gun was in was locked.

This whole thing reeks of stupidity. The kid killing his parents was stupid. The parents leaving the gun box unlocked was stupid. The judge's comments on video games was stupid.

You know what would be awesome?

If every time someone was shot, the people making/selling the guns would be held responsible...

Also, gun control is good for you.

bue519:

squid5580:

poncho14:

Gun safety isn't anti NRA dood. Most people are just lazy (go figure) and don't bother locking them up, and then they wonder how little Billy shot himself.

No but the anti-NRA could use this as yet another example to ban all guns. I understand the NRA would and should be wanting to take the father behind the woodshed for a good beating for being so bloody stupid.

The media is going to gobble this one up like a Thanksgiving Dinner..

Xvito:
You know what would be awesome?

If every time someone was shot, the people making/selling the guns would be held responsible...

Also, gun control is good for you.

That is like blaming FORD everytime someone gets drunk and behind the wheel. Millions of people can drive sober and not have an accident but that 1 moron who gets drunk and kills someone is not the manufacturers fault. If you have a gun it should be locked up. You can't blame them because you are to damn stupid not to.

Did the kid drink orange juice?

Yes.

And he killed his parents?

Yes.

HOLY FUCK ORANGE JUICE CAUSED HIM TO KILL HIS PARENTS!!!!

Grow up.

Come on people.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook