Halo Killer Sentenced to Life

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Alleged_Alec:

black lincon:
It had to do with addiction. From What I can gather the kid was either plain out psycho or was addicted to halo, and if it was the latter his parents taking it away would trigger an event like this. that's not saying it was the games fault, if he had been addicted to a movie or a TV show and his parents took it away the same thing could have happened.

Bollocks to that, I say. People don't draw a gun on someone unless they're already fucked up. His 'addiction' had nothing to do with this.

yes yes it did. if fact it had everything to do with it. the addiction acted as a trigger. he believed he needed halo, and when it was taken away he was furious and not thinking straight. he took the gun and killed his mother over the game, and then shot his father. the addiction was a trigger, and your right you, he was a little messed up to begin with, this kid was obviously out of reality and more messed up than just becoming addicted. he most likely had anger issues and lacked tools to deal with the anger.

However, the addiction was the trigger. if he hadn't been addicted to something he would have never had anything to be taken away and never had anything to kill over. what he was addicted to is irrelevant and if your argument is that videogames don't cause violence, then your using the wrong argument, this is about addiction, and as several staff members here can attest to, you can get addicted to games.

once again, he had other problems, but the trigger was his addiction, what caused the murder was his addiction.

"And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

Okaaaaaay. I never realised game addiction made you unaware that killing people means they're gone for good. Maybe he assumed they'd just 'respawn' sheesh.

I feel really bad for his family. Although, I thought they didn't give out life imprisonment if you were under 18? (Though I may be thinking of the death penalty). I guess they felt it was serious enough to warrant it, though as some others in the thread have said, he's young and perhaps not beyond rehabilitation.

squid5580:

black lincon:

MGG=REVIEWS :
I don't think this had anything to do with video games! it was just a child being a spoiled brat!

It had to do with addiction. From What I can gather the kid was either plain out psycho or was addicted to halo, and if it was the latter his parents taking it away would trigger an event like this. that's not saying it was the games fault, if he had been addicted to a movie or a TV show and his parents took it away the same thing could have happened.

Wow I love the world today. We can blame everything on addiction. Lets just take any personal responsibility and throw it out the window. Soon gamers are gonna be at the corners of Gamestop lookin for thier next fix. Maybe grind up those DVDs and snort them. Use the instruction books as rolling papers and smoke them puppies.

Read what I said to the other guy and stop being so smug in your lack of knowledge.

Xvito:
You know what would be awesome?

If every time someone was shot, the people making/selling the guns would be held responsible...

Also, gun control is good for you.

Wow, that makes sense.

Oh wait, no it doesn't. The people who made the gun are not responsible. The people who left the gun in an unlocked lock box are responsible.

Interestingly, the judge did express serious reservations about the impact of videogames on the mental well-being of kids in January when he announced the guilty verdict and said he believed they were in large part responsible for turning Petric into a killer. "It's my firm belief that after a while the same physiological responses occur that occur in the ingestion of some drugs. And I believe that an addiction to these games can do the same thing," he said. "And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

BULL! FUCKING! SHIT!

Being a psychopath that would kill his parents over a game IS NOT caused by video games! What the hell is that old geezer thinking? As far as I'm concerned, that idiot could have done it over ANYTHING! People are driving me crazy these days...

black lincon:
snip

No, his addiction was not the trigger, and it didn't cause it either. I know that you can become addicted to games. Hell, I have been so myself. I didn't go on some bloody murder spree every time my parents told me they needed to use the computer though. This kid has only himself and his bad self-control to blame.

Baby Tea:

scnj:
I find it odd that his father requested leniency despite being shot by him. Just doesn't make sense to me.

It was a Christian family, which is why the parents didn't want their son playing Halo. They thought it was too violent. Personally, I find it more odd that a Christian man would have a 9mm handgun in an unlocked box, and his son knew where it was.

At any rate, he asked for leniency because Christ calls Christians to be merciful and forgiving.
Whether or not you agree I guess it still on the table, but those were his motivations.

well heres a generalization. i have plenty of christian friends that play games like halo.

"And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

I think he knew very well they would be dead forever. Seriously sounds like the kid had anger issues.

Internet Kraken:

EMFCRACKSHOT:

The way i see it, its just an attempt to shift the blame from inadequate gun control laws. The americans can't lose their guns now can they. Lets blame all the violence on games instead of giving out guns like candy.

This could have been easily avoided if the box the gun was in was locked.

This could have been avoided if the guy had no gun. What, was he scared the king of england was going to come and start pushing him around?

Keep guns in the hands of the police and armed forces not millions of retarded americans too stupid to even lock up a gun.

No gun control+retarded parents=videogames are evil and must be banned

Malygris:

sorry but megalolz at that.

Also, correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation, bitches.

black lincon:

Alleged_Alec:

black lincon:

Bollocks to that, I say. People don't draw a gun on someone unless they're already fucked up. His 'addiction' had nothing to do with this.

yes yes it did. if fact it had everything to do with it. the addiction acted as a trigger. he believed he needed halo, and when it was taken away he was furious and not thinking straight. he took the gun and killed his mother over the game, and then shot his father. the addiction was a trigger, and your right you, he was a little messed up to begin with, this kid was obviously out of reality and more messed up than just becoming addicted. he most likely had anger issues and lacked tools to deal with the anger.

However, the addiction was the trigger. if he hadn't been addicted to something he would have never had anything to be taken away and never had anything to kill over. what he was addicted to is irrelevant and if your argument is that videogames don't cause violence, then your using the wrong argument, this is about addiction, and as several staff members here can attest to, you can get addicted to games.

once again, he had other problems, but the trigger was his addiction, what caused the murder was his addiction.

black lincon, I like you. Thank you for being smart.

EMFCRACKSHOT:

This could have been avoided if the guy had no gun. What, was he scared the king of england was going to come and start pushing him around?

Best thing I heard all day xD

Something must be really wrong with that kid, poor guy

Well, it looks like he's going to be able to experience tea-bagging first hand, now that he's going to prison. Hope he has fun! : D

Alleged_Alec:

black lincon:
snip

No, his addiction was not the trigger, and it didn't cause it either. I know that you can become addicted to games. Hell, I have been so myself. I didn't go on some bloody murder spree every time my parents told me they needed to use the computer though. This kid has only himself and his bad self-control to blame.

*Sigh* Go re-read what I said until you understand how I've already rebutted that argument.

Malygris:

Wait what? that's not do to video games. That's due to being mentally retarded.

Alleged_Alec:

black lincon:
snip

black lincon:
...he was a little messed up to begin with, this kid was obviously out of reality and more messed up than just becoming addicted.

EMFCRACKSHOT:

Internet Kraken:

EMFCRACKSHOT:

The way i see it, its just an attempt to shift the blame from inadequate gun control laws. The americans can't lose their guns now can they. Lets blame all the violence on games instead of giving out guns like candy.

Keep guns in the hands of the police and armed forces not millions of retarded americans too stupid to even lock up a gun.

No gun control+retarded parents=videogames are evil and must be banned

The kid was in a rage. He just would have used some weapon. Don't get me wrong, the other weapon may not have been fatal (though he probably could have killed them with a knife to). But we really don't need to blame the death on guns. The problem we want to solve here is stupidity. Make people realize that keeping your guns locked in a secure place is important.

EMFCRACKSHOT:

millions of retarded americans

Nice generalization.

Florion:

Alleged_Alec:

black lincon:
snip

black lincon:
...he was a little messed up to begin with, this kid was obviously out of reality and more messed up than just becoming addicted.

god I love you.

I wonder if he tea bagge..
Ahm never mind.

The parents should have had better gun control if they knew their kid had tendencies to behave irrationaly. But it might won´t still stop an very angry kid from using other weapons like a crowbar or a knife. In the end everything can be used as a weapon.

So be warned if your kid watches Mcgyver to much and you ban the tv. He/she might build a
napalm bomb from soap,tape and a fork.

black lincon:

MGG=REVIEWS :
I don't think this had anything to do with video games! it was just a child being a spoiled brat!

I agree.

Still, i have never supported a minor being given life in prison, and i won't start now. Give the kid help and then keep him locked up for 20-25 years or so. That sounds about right too me.

Internet Kraken:

The kid was in a rage. He just would have used some weapon. Don't get me wrong, the other weapon may not have been fatal (though he probably could have killed them with a knife to). But we really don't need to blame the death on guns. The problem we want to solve here is stupidity. Make people realize that keeping your guns locked in a secure place is important.

Kwah, "guns don't kill people, people kill people." I think it would really help if you took the guns out of the equation. Guns can kill you at a distance and almost instantly. Knives, you can go hide. And I'm fairly certain that there are statistics proving that countries where guns are prohibited among the general public have lower gun murder rates.

toasterslayer:

Baby Tea:

It was a Christian family, which is why the parents didn't want their son playing Halo. They thought it was too violent. Personally, I find it more odd that a Christian man would have a 9mm handgun in an unlocked box, and his son knew where it was.

At any rate, he asked for leniency because Christ calls Christians to be merciful and forgiving.
Whether or not you agree I guess it still on the table, but those were his motivations.

well heres a generalization. i have plenty of christian friends that play games like halo.

Well I'm certainly not saying all Christians don't play Halo. I'm a Christian myself, and I play anything as long as it's fun.

But I don't think anyone can deny that there are certainly conservative Christians who think games like Halo are violent (I know a few myself), and these parents are those type of Christians. Whether that's wrong or right isn't the issue here, and I'm not going to get into a debate about that with anyone on this thread.

I'm just pointing out their motivations for why they wouldn't allow the game, and why the father sought to forgive his son and have him get a reduced sentence.

Hardcore_gamer:

black lincon:

MGG=REVIEWS :

I agree.

Still, i have never supported a minor being given life in prison, and i won't start now. Give the kid help and then keep him locked up for 20-25 years or so. That sounds about right too me.

I'm more leaning towards giving the kid mental help. He obviously has mental problems that caused this and they can and should be dealt with through therapy.

black lincon:

Florion:

Alleged_Alec:

black lincon:
snip

black lincon:

god I love you.

Hm.... My bad, I can't read, apparently.

Florion:

Internet Kraken:

Kwah, "guns don't kill people, people kill people." I think it would really help if you took the guns out of the equation. Guns can kill you at a distance and almost instantly. Knives, you can go hide. And I'm fairly certain that there are statistics proving that countries where guns are prohibited among the general public have lower gun murder rates.

So what's your point?

Should we ban guns just because some people are stupid? I don't like that idea. Rather than just take the easy way out of banning guns, I think it would be better to encourage proper gun management. If people handle their guns properly then incidents like this won't occur.

I'm so glad to hear that the authorities decided to focus on whether or not videogames caused the kid to kill his mother and wound his father, rather than, oh, I don't know, mental issues, insanity, little things like that.

Because, as we all know, it's better to blame VIDEOGAMES than POOR PARENTING and MENTAL ILLNESS.

What's wrong with this picture?

Internet Kraken:

EMFCRACKSHOT:

This whole thing reeks of stupidity. The kid killing his parents was stupid. The parents leaving the gun box unlocked was stupid. The judge's comments on video games was stupid.

Even if the box WAS locked, you never know what could have happened. Maybe he would stab them in their sleep instead, or bludgeon them with a hammer. If he was willing to murder his own parents with a gun, he would probably be willing to murder them with anything.

Internet Kraken:

Florion:

Internet Kraken:

So what's your point?

Should we ban guns just because some people are stupid? I don't like that idea. Rather than just take the easy way out of banning guns, I think it would be better to encourage proper gun management. If people handle their guns properly then incidents like this won't occur.

"Easy way out?" Why do you need guns in the first place??? If you're being attacked, your weapon is far more likely to be used against you.

Internet Kraken:

millions of retarded americans

Nice generalization.[/quote]

Yeah, sorry with the generalisation, sometimes i just cant help myself XD.
The most sensible option would be to not give civillians guns. If he hadnt had a gun, maybe he would have just attacked with his fists or maybe even gone to his room and settled down a bit and nobody would be dead. When you dont have easy access to weapons, you are less likely to do serious damage.

Florion:

"guns don't kill people, people kill people."

squid5580:

Xvito:
You know what would be awesome?

If every time someone was shot, the people making/selling the guns would be held responsible...

Also, gun control is good for you.

That is like blaming FORD everytime someone gets drunk and behind the wheel. Millions of people can drive sober and not have an accident but that 1 moron who gets drunk and kills someone is not the manufacturers fault. If you have a gun it should be locked up. You can't blame them because you are to damn stupid not to.

No, actually it's more like blaming the people who made/sold the alcohol.

But in my opinion Ford should get some of the blame as well.

Obviously the person who shot/drove/whatever should also get the blame...

Alleged_Alec:

black lincon:
snip

His "bad self-control" happened because he wanted the game but could not get it. When a person shoots someone else because he does not want too hand his drugs over too you then your killing because your addiction. This is no different.

a boy going to jail for life over a stupid video game. HAHA looks like the worlds really f***ed up now! Where's the joker when you need me ;)

mentor07825:
Perhaps the kid thought that his parents had more then one life?

I hate to say this, but he probably freaked when he didn't hear the timer or see them respawn.

As someone who has grown up with guns in the house, as well as first went too the firing range with my father at the age of 5, I find the fact the strongbox wasn't locked, as well as the fact that there were obviously no trigger locks, appalling. The father clearly wanted leniency for the kid as he felt guilt for his own screwup in this matter.

Also, it seems clear that the father never taught the kid too respect the guns as the deadly tools that they are (the very first thing I was taught before I even loaded that first cartridge into that single shot, bolt action rifle), which I find too be the major problem in the states in general.

This kid was clearly mentally unstable. He should have recieved help months, maybe even years before. I could easily see this kid going crazy for his parents refusing him chocolate, which, of course, would have gotten no media attention.

Oh, and btw as someone who lives in Canada, I believe that it's not a problem with gun laws, but a problem with, as mentioned above, people not being taught too respect guns.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here