Halo Killer Sentenced to Life

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

black lincon:

squid5580:

black lincon:

MGG=REVIEWS :
I don't think this had anything to do with video games! it was just a child being a spoiled brat!

It had to do with addiction. From What I can gather the kid was either plain out psycho or was addicted to halo, and if it was the latter his parents taking it away would trigger an event like this. that's not saying it was the games fault, if he had been addicted to a movie or a TV show and his parents took it away the same thing could have happened.

Wow I love the world today. We can blame everything on addiction. Lets just take any personal responsibility and throw it out the window. Soon gamers are gonna be at the corners of Gamestop lookin for thier next fix. Maybe grind up those DVDs and snort them. Use the instruction books as rolling papers and smoke them puppies.

Read what I said to the other guy and stop being so smug in your lack of knowledge.

What lack of knowledge. That fact that I believe that if you find something you like doing that doesn't effect your brain in any physical sense (like cocaine) you can't get addicted to it? Not without having alot of other psychological issues to boot.

Sad event but preventing your son from playing a game but then you keep a fully loaded gun in an unlocked box seems tad paradoxical

Internet Kraken:

Xvito:
You know what would be awesome?

If every time someone was shot, the people making/selling the guns would be held responsible...

Also, gun control is good for you.

Wow, that makes sense.

Oh wait, no it doesn't. The people who made the gun are not responsible. The people who left the gun in an unlocked lock box are responsible.

Yes, you are right about one thing (the people who didn't lock the lockbox are responsible), the person who fired the gun is also responsible... Along with the people who made/sold the gun. If it were illegal to make/sell guns less people would be shot... Fact.

I find in interesting that when a child turns out all screwed up, no one ever blames the parents. If the kid had won a Pulitzer or noble peace prize, I bet his dad would be first in line to take some credit for it. but he goes crazy over a game, and it has nothing to do with how he was raised?
Pardon me while i stretch my incredulity.

Xvito:

squid5580:

Xvito:

If every time someone was shot, the people making/selling the guns would be held responsible...

That is like blaming FORD everytime someone gets drunk and behind the wheel. Millions of people can drive sober and not have an accident but that 1 moron who gets drunk and kills someone is not the manufacturers fault. If you have a gun it should be locked up. You can't blame them because you are to damn stupid not to.

No, actually it's more like blaming the people who made/sold the alcohol.

But in my opinion Ford should get some of the blame as well.

Obviously the person who shot/drove/whatever should also get the blame...

Are you serious? Did the person who made or sold the alchohol make him get behind the wheel? Did FORD Ceo run to the bar and put the keys in his hands and tell him you are ok to drive and go home. Hey why not while we are at it blame the victim for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. They didn't have to be infront of him afterall.

Double kill?

I think the judge should actually see if there is any psychological evidence that video games stimulate the same effects in the brain as drugs. They might, but not nearly as powerfully.

Superlordbasil:
Sad event but preventing your son from playing a game but then you keep a fully loaded gun in an unlocked box seems tad paradoxical

Why? Who expects their child to go postal because he couldn't play a video game?

squid5580:

black lincon:

squid5580:

black lincon:

MGG=REVIEWS :
I don't think this had anything to do with video games! it was just a child being a spoiled brat!

It had to do with addiction. From What I can gather the kid was either plain out psycho or was addicted to halo, and if it was the latter his parents taking it away would trigger an event like this. that's not saying it was the games fault, if he had been addicted to a movie or a TV show and his parents took it away the same thing could have happened.

Wow I love the world today. We can blame everything on addiction. Lets just take any personal responsibility and throw it out the window. Soon gamers are gonna be at the corners of Gamestop lookin for thier next fix. Maybe grind up those DVDs and snort them. Use the instruction books as rolling papers and smoke them puppies.

Read what I said to the other guy and stop being so smug in your lack of knowledge.

What lack of knowledge. That fact that I believe that if you find something you like doing that doesn't effect your brain in any physical sense (like cocaine) you can't get addicted to it? Not without having a lot of other psychological issues to boot.

Once again, you lack knowledge. You can get addicted to things mentally. You are capable of convincing yourself that you need them. Ask members of the staff here, some of them were addicted to games, they even made a video about it for one of the magazine issues here! Ask the other guy who was rebutting me but realized what I was talking about, he said he was addicted to games. Go ask a doctor, you can get addicted to things mentally, it's simply a fact, and if your not willing to recognize that the conversation ends here.

Xvito:

Internet Kraken:

Xvito:

Wow, that makes sense.

Oh wait, no it doesn't. The people who made the gun are not responsible. The people who left the gun in an unlocked lock box are responsible.

Yes, you are right about one thing (the people who didn't lock the lockbox are responsible), the person who fired the gun is also responsible... Along with the people who made/sold the gun. If it were illegal to make/sell guns less people would be shot... Fact.

Then the headline would read Halo killer stabbed parents, or strangled them, or poisoned them. One thing the human race has been good at is figuring out how to kill each other.

bue519:

xmetatr0nx:

Well have fun playing in jail. Poor kid, i hope they gave him the psychological treatment he needed instead of just locking him up.

I'm not sure what treatment you could do for a sociopath. I would be that he tortures small animals, and wet his bed to a late age. I would say he's better off behind bars, I wouldn't want to find out what he does next after someone sets him off by doing some miniscule action.

so you'd rather have the guy locked with a mental illness and have it go untreated? do you think that jail would change anything he'd do when he's free? all he'd learn is "note to self: dont get caught next time"

I'm not one for the "videogames cause violence" argument, but there is no doubt in my mind that some people develop a bond with gaming that can have a real physiological impact just as other more commonly recognised addictions have.

Yes, gun control would be a very good idea. Yes, the father was foolish for keeping his gun where his unstable son could get hold of it. And yes, there were probably other factors at work here that aren't quite as sexy to the media. But I can see how a gaming 'addiction' could act as a dangerous trigger in such circumstances as these.

The truth is, games, especially of the online, competitive variety, can bring up a whole host of emotions in people who play them to excess, and though for most of us this isn't a problem in our daily lives, there are those, perhaps with underlying psychological problems who struggle to control such emotions when denied their 'fix' - in this case with disastrous consequences.

Well, if GUNS WERE ILLEGAL TO OWN, it would probably save his dad's life.

Because I doubt that the kid could've kicked his dad's ass that easily without the whole "point and click" thing.

And yes, competitive, and hell, even not competitive games can lead to raise in certain emotions that MIGHT drive people to stupid things. But same thing can and SHOULD be said for sports, TV, and any other type of influences.

black lincon:

squid5580:

black lincon:

squid5580:

black lincon:

MGG=REVIEWS :

What lack of knowledge. That fact that I believe that if you find something you like doing that doesn't effect your brain in any physical sense (like cocaine) you can't get addicted to it? Not without having a lot of other psychological issues to boot.

Once again, you lack knowledge. You can get addicted to things mentally. You are capable of convincing yourself that you need them. Ask members of the staff here, some of them were addicted to games, they even made a video about it for one of the magazine issues here! Ask the other guy who was rebutting me but realized what I was talking about, he said he was addicted to games. Go ask a doctor, you can get addicted to things mentally, it's simply a fact, and if your not willing to recognize that the conversation ends here.

And what I am saying is that a mental addiction is a part of a bigger psychological or physical problem (like your brain producing to much endorphines). It is not as simple as slapping the label addiction on it. Regardless it DOESN"T ABSOLVE HIM FROM GUILT!

Gormourn:

Because I doubt that the kid could've kicked his dad's ass that easily without the whole "point and click" thing.

Knives.

black lincon:

Gormourn:

Knives.

Not instantly lethal and harder to kill people with.

Also, durrr, finger in the eye can be pretty lethal yet it's a LOT less likely that the kid would be able to kill anyone like that.

Gormourn:

Guns should certainly more difficult to own, with much more safety courses required.

squid5580:

black lincon:

squid5580:

black lincon:

squid5580:

black lincon:

And what I am saying is that a mental addiction is a part of a bigger psychological or physical problem (like your brain producing to much endorphines). It is not as simple as slapping the label addiction on it.

I don't think you understand what an addiction is. Once your brain becomes dependent on the dopamine reward [oh god I don't remember the word: endorphins? hormones? chemicals?], you are addicted to that rush and you are reliant on indulging your addiction in order to experience that dopamine rush. That is the "bigger psychological/physical problem" you're talking about.

I have to disagree with all the people who are saying the kid needs a psychiatrist he killed his parents he made that choice now he has to deal with it.

I like the Halo series, but if you're going to murder your parents over a game, you can do a bit better than Halo 3.

/bad taste.

squid5580:

black lincon:

squid5580:

black lincon:

squid5580:

black lincon:

MGG=REVIEWS :

And what I am saying is that a mental addiction is a part of a bigger psychological or physical problem (like your brain producing to much endorphines). It is not as simple as slapping the label addiction on it.

*sigh* go read my other statement like I told you to so long ago and realize you've been trying to argue the same point as me.

Now also your wrong, addiction is it's own problem however the kid also had anger issues, if you want elaboration go read post #36.

Broken Wings:
I have to disagree with all the people who are saying the kid needs a psychiatrist he killed his parents he made that choice now he has to deal with it.

You say that like it was a choice that he thought through logically. Clearly, if you're killing your parents because they said you couldn't play Halo, something is wrong with your head.

Gormourn:

black lincon:

Gormourn:

Knives.

Also, durrr, finger in the eye can be pretty lethal yet it's a LOT less likely that the kid would be able to kill anyone like that.

so your saying if the kid had only stabbed his mom in the chest or back several times and then gone after his father he'd only be facing 2 charges of attempted murder and not 1 charge murder(1st degree I think) and one charge attempted murder?

I find your reasoning specious.

Wait, so..... The system...Works?
Holy balls, when did that happen?

Florion:

Broken Wings:

You say that like it was a choice that he thought through logically. Clearly, if you're killing your parents because they said you couldn't play Halo, something is wrong with your head.

Or, you're a dick. There's always that.

black lincon:

Gormourn:

black lincon:

Gormourn:

Knives.

so your saying if the kid had only stabbed his mom in the chest or back several times and then gone after his father he'd only be facing 2 charges of attempted murder and not 1 charge murder(1st degree I think) and one charge attempted murder?

No, but it's clear that he shot them not through stalking them or doing it when they slept, but during an argument over the game. And you've gotta be kidding me if you think that this kid can stab 2 adults to death with a knife as easily as shooting them.

It's not a game. He is not some kind of super-powered protagonist that never dies and fights shitty enemies. He'd probably get disarmed, and even if he stabbed one of them, it's a lot less likely that he'd be able to kill any of them.

You CAN kill anyone with just about anything. A pencil, a pen, a finger, whatever. Guess what? Gun's a lot easier to kill with then a pencil, a pen, a finger or a fist.

the kid looks crazy...and unlocked lock box..ha...

Gormourn:

black lincon:

Gormourn:

black lincon:

Gormourn:

Knives.

No, but it's clear that he shot them not through stalking them or doing it when they slept, but during an argument over the game. And you've gotta be kidding me if you think that this kid can stab 2 adults to death with a knife as easily as shooting them.

It's not a game. He is not some kind of super-powered protagonist that never dies and fights shitty enemies. He'd probably get disarmed, and even if he stabbed one of them, it's a lot less likely that he'd be able to kill any of them.

You CAN kill anyone with just about anything. A pencil, a pen, a finger, whatever. Guess what? Gun's a lot easier to kill with then a pencil, a pen, a finger or a fist.

or maybe he has SUPER PROTAGONIST POWERS!!

Gorbek:

bue519:

xmetatr0nx:

Well have fun playing in jail. Poor kid, i hope they gave him the psychological treatment he needed instead of just locking him up.

I'm not sure what treatment you could do for a sociopath. I would be that he tortures small animals, and wet his bed to a late age. I would say he's better off behind bars, I wouldn't want to find out what he does next after someone sets him off by doing some miniscule action.

so you'd rather have the guy locked with a mental illness and have it go untreated? do you think that jail would change anything he'd do when he's free? all he'd learn is "note to self: dont get caught next time"

Sigh... well I don't really feel like writing out a new post so I'm just going to copy and paste my last one it. At least the relevant stuff.
Now I don't think that he should be sent to a normal prison, as that would on exacerbate the behavior. However, I don't believe he should be released while he still exhibits these behaviors, I mean for Christ sakes he tried to pin the crime on his father.
Enjoy.

This event wasn't caused by Halo, obviously the kid was already a loon, otherwise this would not have happened.
@everyone who thinks this is a good reason for gun control:
Remember guns don't kill people, people do. A gun doesn't pick itself up, aim itself at some and spontaneously fire. It takes a person to do that. The only time a gun can kill someone on its own is when it is dropped and someone is in the wrong place at the wrong time. So, you going to ban guns because of the select number of times that happens? Well, you better ban small electrical appliances because they could fall into your bathtube and kill you.

It says the boy played games so much he thought his parents wouldn't stay dead forever. Obviously the kid is insane, and I play videogames for like 6-10 hours a day and I still know killing=bad. God it's these people that make all gamers look like sociopathic homicidal maniacs. And of course once again the kid had access to a gun and of course that makes it the games fault yes that makes perfect sense right.

seydaman:
or maybe he has SUPER PROTAGONIST POWERS!!

Then I'll be expecting a KING to come and break him out of prison, die and ask the kid to give some artifact to the king's son... and then he'll have to escape through a tunnel full of rats and a whole sewer system.

i couldnt help but notice the words "unlocked lock box"

Here is my output:

1.The "kid" looks like a teenager so I don't see how he could get videogames and real life mixed up.

2.I think the parents might have been a little too stricked on him. Don't get me wrong I belive giving your kid a good beating is good for character building (hell, my parents beat me until I was 8, thats when I learned), but to kill your parents over a game? I think there was more problems at home.
3.For the people who say, "Why was the gun box open?" He could just as easily went in there bed at night and stabbed them with a knife from the kitchen.

Malygris:
Halo Killer Sentenced to Life

Daniel Petric, the teenager who killed his mother and wounded his father after they refused to let him play Halo 3, has been sentenced to life in prison.

Interestingly, the judge did express serious reservations about the impact of videogames on the mental well-being of kids in January when he announced the guilty verdict and said he believed they were in large part responsible for turning Petric into a killer. "It's my firm belief that after a while the same physiological responses occur that occur in the ingestion of some drugs. And I believe that an addiction to these games can do the same thing," he said. "And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

Source: Cleveland.com, via GamePolitics

Excuse me judge but if believe the boy did not realize shooting his parents with a REAL GUN in REAL LIFE would result in them being REALLY DEAD then maybe he was nuts and you should have judged him as an insane juvenile.
He can't be culpable of murder and sentenced to life if he is insane so you have made judgment that what he did was wrong and he was sane enough to know it was wrong and have to be punished. If he was not playing Halo then he would probably obsess over something else. Politicians flip flop judges can't.

Sparrow Tag:
"He killed his family."

"And?"

"He played Halo 3."

"WHAT? BAN THE GAME!"

lol I don't think he even played it did he? He'd only just bought it and they refused to let him play it

Gormourn:

black lincon:

Gormourn:

black lincon:

Gormourn:

Knives.

he was 17, hardly a child. there's nothing in the article(I read the original on http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/12/boy_killed_mom_and_shot_dad_ov.html)to indicate that he did it while he was arguing with them, for all we know he could have snuck up on them, and as a 17-year-old, he certainly could have overpowered his parents if they were surprised. I'm saying that while taking the gun out of the equation might have saved his parents we have no way to actually know.

also,

garacius:
As someone who has grown up with guns in the house, as well as first went too the firing range with my father at the age of 5, I find the fact the strongbox wasn't locked, as well as the fact that there were obviously no trigger locks, appalling. The father clearly wanted leniency for the kid as he felt guilt for his own screwup in this matter.

Also, it seems clear that the father never taught the kid too respect the guns as the deadly tools that they are (the very first thing I was taught before I even loaded that first cartridge into that single shot, bolt action rifle), which I find too be the major problem in the states in general.

This kid was clearly mentally unstable. He should have recieved help months, maybe even years before. I could easily see this kid going crazy for his parents refusing him chocolate, which, of course, would have gotten no media attention.

Oh, and btw as someone who lives in Canada, I believe that it's not a problem with gun laws, but a problem with, as mentioned above, people not being taught too respect guns.

Malygris got it wrong. According to the original article the case was locked, the his kid stole the key. although on the other stuff your right, just saying that the guy figured the lock would have been enough of a deterrent.

Cases like this keeps popping up nowadays. I've only been a member for a short while (around 12 days) and I have seen two cases like this on the escapist without even looking for them. I blame the psychotic kid but don't have much information on his background for all we know he might have psychological problems, I'm guessing this because his reaction to his parents objection to the game but you can't shift the blame. He murdered his own mother and the kid was twisted enough to make a joke about it by saying he had a surprise for them. Plus who in there right mind would leave a gun in an unlocked box?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here