LucasArts Not Planning Monkey Island 2 Remake

LucasArts Not Planning Monkey Island 2 Remake

LucasArts is bringing back the Monkey Island franchise in style with a remake of the original and a new episodic series, but it's not quite ready to commit to reviving every Monkey Island game.

Monkey Island fans and newcomers should just be happy that LucasArts has decided to bring back as much Monkey Island as they are. Not only are we getting a remake of the first Monkey Island with modern graphics and full voice-over, but Telltale's also making a new episodic series that's starting next month. But no, I'm sure there are some of you out there who want more. Well, you're not getting Monkey Island 2: Special Edition. Yet.

"I think LeChuck's Revenge would be awesome to revisit, but at this time we have no plans for future updates," LucasArts producer Craig Derrick told Destructoid. "It all comes down to whether people like what we've done with the Special Edition and see the potential for future projects. Sales are definitely an important measurement of this, but so is fan and critical reaction to the game."

Derrick wants the Monkey Island revival to not only bring back old fans but get new people interested in the series and point-and-click adventure games as well. If things work out this way, he'll see about doing more. "If both parties show up, enjoy the game and want to see more then I think we'll be on the right path to not only do more updates, but all new adventures," he said.

New adventures will start on July 7 when Telltale's Tales of Monkey Island series begins. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is coming out on Xbox Live Arcade and PCs later this summer.

O i think they'll change their minds when sales go through the rough for the remake and series. Loads of people are gunna want this.

I agree with the above sentiment that as sales for the original's remake rise Lucasarts will give the go ahead on the remake of LeChuck's Revenge. I had forgotten that they original was going to be released on XLBA though for which I am very excited.
By the way Keane, I fucking love your new avatar. That cat bus has caused me tears of happiness in the past.

They're a bunch of meanies...
Either remake the entire series, or leave an old classic be! Otherwise, you get all these grumbling people new to the series complaining about how they hate the old versions 'cause it lacks shiny graphics.

MI2 was my favourite, and I'd love to see a remake... especially if they redo the first one well.

I really hope they change their minds.

Also, let Mr. Gilbert make his MI3! I want to know what the "real" continuation of the series would have been.

[edit]

Erana:
They're a bunch of meanies...
Either remake the entire series, or leave an old classic be! Otherwise, you get all these grumbling people new to the series complaining about how they hate the old versions 'cause it lacks shiny graphics.

Sierra did this a few times, remaking the first in each Quest series, and then never following it up with the rest. Thankfully there are some fan-made remakes about, most notably for King's Quest.

I personally think it would be awesome to replay these games, such nostalgia ^^

Man, weak, LucasArts hasn't made a smart decision in awhile...laws of probability say they'll do something useful eventually though. I miss the Monkey Island Games....Guybrush Threepwood, for the effin win.

Morne

How could they do this to me?? I loved Monkey Island!

I'm sure sales of MI1's re-release will convince them otherwise.

The time is upon us. Lucas Arts has milked the Star Wars cow until its teets fell off, and now they're going to do it with the one series they didnt mess up on.

Well, shit.

Yea, bringing back a franchise from the days when lucasarts was able to produce original and clever content would be too hard when they can just make the star wars cashcow's teets bleed.

They'd only ruin it anyway since video game developers lost the ability to produce dialogue or writing that isn't sarcastic, disconnected poopie. Even the new sam and max games lack the hilarious writing of the original.

Nurb:
Yea, bringing back a franchise from the days when lucasarts was able to produce original and clever content would be too hard when they can just make the star wars cashcow's teets bleed.

They'd only ruin it anyway since video game developers lost the ability to produce dialogue or writing that isn't sarcastic, disconnected poopie. Even the new sam and max games lack the hilarious writing of the original.

Jesus Christ someone actually made this into a gif?

I bet the game will suck. 3D graphics worked with Sam and Max, but I doubt they will with Monkey Island...

I don't like the look of the new Guybrush so much but, that said, Telltale knows their stuff and should be able to deliver a good product.

It sounds like they are not going to remake the sequel because people were rude about their new graphics on the internet. They also don't want to play with us any more and are taking their ball home with them.

They will change their mind once they realize this: before almost only Star Wars games they made interesting stuff that people haven't forgotten over the last 20 years.

*sigh* I would kill for a Loom remake

I bet the game will suck. 3D graphics worked with Sam and Max, but I doubt they will with Monkey Island...

It didn't... *cough* *Escape from...* *cough*

Xerosch:

I liked it...

Ranooth:
O i think they'll change their minds when sales go through the rough for the remake and series. Loads of people are gunna want this.

You say that, but remember, this is Milk Starwa- I mean, LucasArts. They're lead by idiots who think Starwars will last forever.

LucasArts is an effin joke. They want rude? How about, your application of DMM in The Force Unleashed, was not just pathetic, but short-sighted, unimaginative, and a downright sham of the technology you had at your finger tips. Hey, I've got an idea, let's take an energy weapon, give it the ability to cut through blast doors, and then have it react in similar fashion to a baseball bat when applied to biological organisms. Make's sense, right? Yeah, real good job Lucas. Oh wait, how about I just cut robots in half...the same two pieces...every single robot, ad-nauseum. Will that company ever STOP sucking. Jesus.

Morne

I think they took a step backwards in going 3D with this series (weird I know). i enjoyed Escape From Monkey Island, but It looked like ass compared to Curse of Monkey Island. Bill Tiller created the best look for the Monkey Island series and I wish they had stuck with that or improved upon it in a 2D environment.

However, I'll still play the new one because I really enjoyed what Telltale did with the Sam and Max series and it looks quite entertaining.. And the remake looks nice and I'm looking forward to playing it, but what the hell is up with Guybrush's haircut?

-Jon Etheridge
-Creator of Apocalypse Lane

Lukeje:

Xerosch:

I liked it...

It wasn't THAT bad, but very disappointing for a Monkey Island game

one and two would benefit from remakes, 3 stills stands on its own, if anything the new episodic and 4 also need remakes back to glorious 2D. 3d in the monkey island games took away from some of the magic i found, whilst still a HUGE fan of the monkey island series i'm gonna pick up the remake and the episodic content.

That's probably going to change.

I mean, if it gains massive acclaim and sales, it's going to sell well. Then they'll remake them all, and get around to doing a point and click game with a brand new IP.

Hey, we can dream, can we?

I have never played a monkey island game oddly enough, but I love point and click games. So I for one will probably be buying this game because of all the solid reviews.

i wish they would just start making the series available again, you have to go through hell and back to get a copy of any of lucasart's classics, it's almost impossible to get a copy under $50 au on ebay

They're just waiting for the right time to cash in on the series.

Xerosch:
They will change their mind once they realize this: before almost only Star Wars games they made interesting stuff that people haven't forgotten over the last 20 years.

*sigh* I would kill for a Loom remake

A sequel would be nice too. Supposdly two were planned, named Forge and Fold respectivly, but never got made.

I would have loved to see those.

This article is invalid now - they're remaking the sequel. Unfortunately, this article shows up as the top search result for "monkey island 2 remake" on google, so I hope this doesn't mislead people.

Anyway, find all you need to know at lucasarts dot com slash games slash monkeyisland2.

Arr!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here