Intel Makes Internet Fights Easier With "Dispute Finder"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Intel Makes Internet Fights Easier With "Dispute Finder"

Intel has launched a valuable new online tool called Dispute Finder, a Firefox extension with a server backend that both encourages and facilitates pointless arguments on the internet.

Have you ever run into an idiot on the internet? I know I have. It's a frustrating experience because not only are their malformed, monosyllabic opinions completely and irredeemably wrong, but they also refuse to budge from their iron-clad certainty that they're actually right and that it is you who is wrong. Flying around the world punching these smug bastards in the mouth just isn't practical so Intel, working alongside researchers at the University of California at Berkeley, has come up with the next best thing: A way of demonstrating to everyone that they are, in fact, very, very stupid.

It's a relatively simple concept at its core: Users who come across information that they believe is inaccurate or in dispute can highlight the text in question and then report it as disputed. More information can then be added, by the original reporter and others, both for and against the original claim; when people with the plugin read the story, they will be able to click on the disputed bits, see the various arguments and then vote on which side of the argument they believe is correct.

Fortunately, there's more to the process than simply disagreeing with what other people think and telling big enough lies. Disputes must be supported by "reputable sources" with differing points of view and the reliability of those sources can also be voted on.

Topics currently listed as disputed include "The 2009 Iran Presidential election was rigged," "Global warming does not exist" and "Recycling is good for the environment," alongside less intensely-debated matters like "2Pac is dead," "Dick Cheney is a robot" and my own personal favorite of the moment, "Italians look good."

It seems quite clear to me that, while entertaining, this is a monstrously bad idea. Using this new tool, anyone with Firefox, a slack jaw and a few minutes to kill can inflict themselves upon the internet. I take some comfort in the knowledge that they'll be interacting primarily with people who have similar predispositions toward endless, pointless internet fights, but I still don't think this is the sort of behavior that should be encouraged. It's like handing out extra buckets of poo at the monkey cage.

You are, of course, free to download the extension and dispute this if you happen to disagree.

Source: VentureBeat

This will either be great or terrible, and only time will tell.

While this could be used for real good, I doubt it will, and will be filled with "Obama is a Muslim" and "Everyone is gay except me" topics.

This will only end badly...

NoMoreSanity:
While this could be used for real good, I doubt it will, and will be filled with "Obama is a Muslim" and "Everyone is gay except me" topics.

This. Also 2pac is dead, but elvis isnt and all italians look good if they are women.

CoverYourHead:

It could be great and terrible...I like it.

Um, this is a joke, right?

Right?? I'm not looking at my calendar... is it April 1st?

Yog Sothoth:

June 20th

xmetatr0nx:

This. Also 2pac is dead, but elvis isnt and all italians look good if they are women.

Are you sure all Italian women look good?

http://www.julieharrisphotography.com/in_between/images/old_italian_woman.jpg

Bobzer77:
Are you sure all Italian women look good?

http://www.julieharrisphotography.com/in_between/images/old_italian_woman.jpg

Oh you bastard, i think youre the first person im going to use this "net-rage" prolonging program on.

I'm almost curious enough about how the Escapist would look with this to try it.

Almost.

Crazy Christians Chewing Cannibal Christ Crackers!

Worst idea ever. Ok, maybe the idea isn't so bad, but the implementation is. If the site is hosting both parts of the debate, and Side A uses this site to support his position that hybrid cars are actually worse for the environment, Side B can just go to the same place and gather counterpoints and arguments to rebuttal Side A, because it's not a site for hosting facts, but opinions.

imageThis doesn't so much ring as a way to shut up idiots with the mighty swords of truth and knowledge, it's just pouring jet fuel on a raging flamewar. It's selling arms to both sides in hopes of extending the conflict to the point of sheer retardation.

Now if this "Dispute Finder" went all Wikipedia on the content it hosts, and sorted out what it considers to be bullshit, it would be a start. But if it wanted to TRULY do the job well, it would have to take a stance on each possible argument, and say "This is the truth, use this to dispute others" and not post anything that could be used to argue against the side they have chosen.

Of course, this would mean they can't claim to be an unbiased source.

Onmi:

Yog Sothoth:

June 20th

Are you following me...? LOL!

Yog Sothoth:

Onmi:

Yog Sothoth:

June 20th

Are you following me...? LOL!

Look it's 5 a-

HOLY SHIT IT'S 5 AM WHAT THE FUCK AM I STILL DOING UP!

Finding a fight on the internet was already easy, now its as easy as Oblivion after turning the difficulty slider all the way down.

mmmm..........

this could have great use in you tube HAHA

Intel eh? I have this strange feeling that we're gonna have a lot of "Mac attacks".

Cpt_Oblivious:

I feel that needs to be disputed...

EDIT: Damn! It requires me to enter my e-mail address and create a username.

It's lucky for you that I'm a very, very lazy person.

Onyx Oblivion:
Finding a fight on the internet was already easy, now its as easy as Oblivion after turning the difficulty slider all the way down.

I dont know..those Skeleton Guardians are still a pain in the arse.

Jamash:

Cpt_Oblivious:

It'll only be full of stuff like "Bob is gay lololol" then people arguing whether Bob is gay when we all know that he is, in fact, bisexual.

Malygris:
It's like handing out extra buckets of poo at the monkey cage.

Mal, what's with all poo-flinging similes lately? This has gotta be the third or fourth one I've come across today.

Got somethin' on your mind there?

Cpt_Oblivious:

Jamash:

Cpt_Oblivious:

It'll only be full of stuff like "Bob is gay lololol" then people arguing whether Bob is gay when we all know that he is, in fact, bisexual.

You're right.

I feel that the irony of using Dispute Finder to dispute your claim that the use of Dispute Finder will only end badly, will be lost of the majority of people who will use Dispute Finder.

Still, it could create some truly comic moments, especially if it makes the news (like the MTV Europe awards getting Rockrolled), only time will tell.

Something tells me that this will end terribly for most people but for everyone else it can be a demonstration on how to be a douche on the internet

NoMoreSanity:

Elvis killed JFK because he was jealous over Marilyn Monroe.
The Twin Towers were brought down by a giant Martian cream-pie hurling contest gone disastrously wrong.
During his entire presidential term, Harry S Truman was in fact spying for the Belgians.

AND NOW IT BEGINS...

Anyone find some irony in the fact that we are disputing about whether a program that is for disputes will end badly or not. This is almost as weird as searching for google in google NOTE: please do not try this I have it on good authority that this will break the internet.

midpipps:
This is almost as weird as searching for google in google NOTE: please do not try this I have it on good authority that this will break the internet.

I have actually done that. A hand comes out of your computer screen and slaps you.

This is like giving monkeys machine guns. It's will not end well, but God damn will it be entertaining to watch.

WanderFreak:
This is like giving monkeys machine guns. It's will not end well, but God damn will it be entertaining to watch.

Well yesterday, a gorilla was playing with a knife. They're not far off from acquiring their own machineguns. Then, probably, WMDs. Monkeys with Nukes, it will be North Korea / Iran all over again.

So its basically wikipedia but phrased as a question instead of a heading.

The intended use: fight misinformation on the internet.
The potential mis-use: spread misinformation on the internet.

As for using voting to support one side or the other, or the reputability of any source... we know from real life voting that small but determined minority groups can act as voting blocs and be important in deciding an overall vote, except in this case we'll see social groups replaced with believers of each conspiracy theory, pseudo-scientific idea, or religion/cult that gets disputed.

The dingo shall soon be felled.

Ladies and gentlemen, witness the true end of humanity. Not nuclear war, not a supervirus, not machine domination... but the ability to argue endlessly over whether (Master Chief/Pikachu/Thomas Jefferson) can beat up (Gordon Freeman/Mewtwo/Grover Cleveland).

No one will go outside until everyone else admits that they're right, and we will all die of starvation (or, in extreme cases, asphyxiation in a pile of our own feces).

CoverYourHead:

This. Though I'm edging towards terrible.

I sense the spirit of Douglas Adams at work here....
Also, I like pie. Anyone who cares to dispute that is a dilhole, and is free to dispute that assertion as well or even separately. Must use graphs and piecharts to support your argument.

Despite it's potential for misuse and mischief, I can actually see the potential for this being used for good.

Could it be used to dispute the outrageous claims and blatant lies used in advertising?

If the claims made by unscrupulous advertisers are subjected to constant scrutiny and debate by any internet user, couldn't it force advertisers to adopt a more honest approach.

I can imagine a lot of 'snake oil salesmen' and internet charlatans being adversely affected if all their claims are subject to immediate public scrutiny.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here