ZeniMax Media Acquires id Software - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2

razbuten363:
Anyone else afraid of the day when all games come from a single corporation, always producing the same bland games because that's all they can do?

Imagine the huge amount of shovelware! Yay(not!)

It's already happening, IMO. Look at how many clones of clones of clones we have nowadays. The last innovative game was, probably, Portal. And it even was a clone of that Kneeless princess, or something like that.

*cough* John...Daikatana?

You know, I spent a lot of years calling Romero every name I could think of, not necessarily because I was mad about Daikatana (although... wow, John) but because, as I saw it, his Ion Storm adventure resulted in the demise of Looking Glass, one of the greatest studios EVAR.

But you can't take away his past work. Everything up to Daikatana was pretty goddamn amazing. And while I haven't been paying close attention by any stretch, what I've seen on his home page over the past year or so has kinda swung me back around to his side. The guy fucked up, yeah, but that doesn't mean he's some kind of evil idiot. He just dropped the ball, albeit it in a very big, public way.

I was shocked when I read about id and Bethsoft yesterday. So I imagine that shock mixed with Romero's history with id as a founder and a major player through the studio's glory years and I think, yeah, I can see why he'd have a bit of a freakout over this. I figure it was a natural reaction, and no harm, no foul.

Back on topic, I see this as a good fit. I remember reading an interview with a Bethsoft guy ages ago about how the studio was so lucky because they were basically just given money to make the games they wanted and otherwise left alone. If id is able to operate in the same environment I think we'll see this, as Hollenshead predicted, as a very good thing in the long run.

Malygris:

"ZENIMAX??????? Disgusting," he Twittered earlier today. "Fallout 3 bought DOOM. Wow."

The guy who brought you Daikatana, and screwed up Ion Storm so badly we'll never get a true sequel to Deus Ex (Deus Ex: IW doesn't count, and Deus Ex 3 I don't really think'll be a true Deus Ex sequel).

Basically, he can go fuck himself.

Malygris:

"ZENIMAX??????? Disgusting," he Twittered earlier today. "Fallout 3 bought DOOM. Wow."

thank you John, you still don't mean much to everyone anymore

Malygris:
You know, I spent a lot of years calling Romero every name I could think of, not necessarily because I was mad about Daikatana (although... wow, John) but because, as I saw it, his Ion Storm adventure resulted in the demise of Looking Glass, one of the greatest studios EVAR.

But you can't take away his past work. Everything up to Daikatana was pretty goddamn amazing. And while I haven't been paying close attention by any stretch, what I've seen on his home page over the past year or so has kinda swung me back around to his side. The guy fucked up, yeah, but that doesn't mean he's some kind of evil idiot. He just dropped the ball, albeit it in a very big, public way.

i'm going to have to say the amazing work was done by The Carmack and not Romero and i think that Dikatana proved that really

John Romero is a man?

The fuck did this happen?

John Romero is just upset no one gives a shit about him anymore.

Woe Is You:

300lb. Samoan:

EDIT: On topic, even though we know that id is good at doin' their thang, I hope this "forward looking research" or whatever doesn't end up watering down their games to make them more palettable for the mainstream.

Thing is, you can't water down Doom. It's the epitome of a turn-off-your-brains-and-shoot-them-all-up. Same goes for... well, just about all the other id IPs aside from maybe Commander Keen and Orcs & Elves. I don't think anything will happen to Doom. In fact, a new Doom is the kind of game that would do well next to Gears of War and the like.

Carmack loves to tinker around with tech but he hates complex gameplay as id's games prove.

Yea, that's why I hope they don't water it down with complex gameplay, character development and RPG elements. I like my id games just the way they've always been: pretty, simple.

More Fun To Compute:
Doom is now going to get the magical, full on RPG treatment.

"I saw a Cacodemon the other day by the gates of hell."

"Disgusting creatures."

"I hope I never see another."

"Good day."

I can't wait for that extra level of detail that the Doom game world has been missing.

They tried giving Doom a story with Doom 3, and it pissed all over itself. Doom is at its best when it's just you, a shotgun, and a base full of monsters to clean out.

Huh. That's a bizzare combination: hopefully we get some good games out of it.

Oh, and I hope they make the next DOOM game more about the fast gunplay of the originals and less about trying to be a horror game.

Zenimax had better watch out, or they'll be made someone's bitch.

Malygris:

Ladies and gentlemen, John Romero, a man who still has yet to make anybody his bitch.

Not exactly surprised, not sure why Romero is (what is he doing these days since Diakatana effectively killed his branch of Ion Storm...besides twittering, bubtubing, myfacing?), besides Quake Wars what have they done lately that got big sales?

in this time and age I think Bethesda made a smart move, they now own one of the best game engine developers in the business.

John Romero's good for one thing as far as I'm concerned---he proved excellent fodder for the Penny Arcade guys to get their chops back in 1998-99. I don't know that they would've been able to refine their art without such a frequent Butt Monkey to keep them inspired.

Romero shouldn't whine... he lost all credibility when he started making one bad game after another.

Good for both companies that they're appearantly looking forward to working together.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.