Sony: Home Will Be "Essential" For All PS3 Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

PlayStation Home might not be more than a blip on the radar of many gamers at the moment, but Sony is still committed to making the service an integral part of the PS3 experience, calling it the "starting point" for PS3 online.

PlayStation Home has yet to really take off the way it was supposed to, but Sony still sees the service as a central part of the PS3 online experience. "Home is the starting point for PlayStation 3 online, and that's something that gamers are going to expect as more games support Game Launch from within Home," Sony Europe's Peter Edward said. "This will become an essential component for all PS3 games."

The Game Launching feature, which allows you to, well, launch a game directly from within Home, currently only supports a handful of titles, including some major ones like Street Fighter IV and Warhawk.

Last month Edward reported that Home users are on the rise and argued that the service is at a tipping point of sorts, where everything is looking up from now. The service certainly has users: 7 million total, with 3 million in Europe, according to Sony. Those are big numbers, but keep in mind that there have been over 21 million PS3s sold worldwide - which means that only a third of them are plugged into Home.

Regardless of how many people are in Home, those who are using the service seem to be doing a lot more than just milling around and making their avatars dance. According to Sony, Home-bodies (this is what I'm calling them now) have downloaded over 6 million virtual items, including plenty of promotional gear for things like the Star Trek movie.

Making dough, however, is not the point of Home, says Edward. "For Sony, revenue isn't the main driver for Home," he said. "We're in this for the long term."

[Via MCV]

From my experience with Home, I can say that if Sony wants to make it more essential and actually useful they'll have a hard time doing it. Time that could be spent making Sucker Punch develop a new Sly Cooper and making me a buy a PS3.

*Hint Hint*

When anyone else hears 'everything is looking up from here,' does that not sound like the speaker is in a pretty deep hole?

So by "Essential Component", do they mean that if you DON'T have high-speed internet, you be fucked for games? Wait.....Oh yeah, they already started that with all their random updates to play new games.

I like HOME for what it is; cominicating with other people online. It does what it's supposed to, and it doesn't ask alot in return. It's not meant for you to invest hours upon hours into it, it's supposed to give you soemthing to do and check up on every now and then to enjoy.

I'm glad Sony is being commited to HOME and not letting it fall in the dust, though I'd prefer if they made some actual announcments to their support for it. Still, HOME has a lot of potential and anyone who says otherwise *coughcoughAceDiamondcoughcoug* ;) is being blind.

Too little too late. People are already banking on the 8th Gen consoles, ramping up popularity for a 7th-Gen console's online service is like releasing a new multiplayer mode for Doom 2.

Khell_Sennet:
Too little too late. People are already banking on the 8th Gen consoles, ramping up popularity for a 7th-Gen console's online service is like releasing a new multiplayer mode for Doom 2.

What? I have to say, that makes absolutely no sense to me. When is this mythical 8th-gen console coming out? 2013? 2016? And who says Sony is the one making this 8th-gen console, so what if one comes out anyway? Does the PS2 ring any doorbells? Besides, HOME has only been out for, what, 6 or so months (came out December 2008) and it's still (annoyingly) in Beta, give it some damn time.

I'm sorry, but your statement makes no sense to me, what the hell does 8th-gen consoles have to do with anything here?

8th Gen consoles aren't coming for years, I hope. So I say BLAH to that. We've barely scratched the surface of what the hardware can do.

Jumplion:
I like HOME for what it is; cominicating with other people online. It does what it's supposed to, and it doesn't ask alot in return. It's not meant for you to invest hours upon hours into it, it's supposed to give you soemthing to do and check up on every now and then to enjoy.

I'm glad Sony is being commited to HOME and not letting it fall in the dust, though I'd prefer if they made some actual announcments to their support for it. Still, HOME has a lot of potential and anyone who says otherwise *coughcoughAceDiamondcoughcoug* ;) is being blind.

Hey I can read tiny text, you jerk :P

Anyway, you're trying to convince me a badly done rip-off of Second Life is somehow better for communication than anything else any console has ever had ever. Penny Arcade didn't buy that snake oil and I don't see you going after them for it. But enough about that, I guess text messaging is the wave of the future after all :P

And as a counterpoint, if Sony hadn't treated this like it was somehow going to tip the balance in the console war (like just about everything they make), then maybe people would be less harsh on it.

There is no need or point to a virtual world that takes text chat and arcade experiences when that's already being done in less complex forms elsewhere.

Also, thank you very much for generalizing that apparently, since I don't possess the clairvoyancy that you do, I cannot see that in 5 years PS3 Home will be the biggest deciding factor in people buying a PS3 for cybersex so they can have a GUI to wave their e-peens about their gamerscore or trophy amounts or whatever it is Sony calls it these days.

From what I read the current problem with Home is that it doesn't do anything the user wants. A virtual world sounds nice in theory but after that you realize that regular GUIs can offer the same functionality with less clutter.

NoMoreSanity:
From my experience with Home, I can say that if Sony wants to make it more essential and actually useful they'll have a hard time doing it. Time that could be spent making Sucker Punch develop a new Sly Cooper and making me a buy a PS3.

I find it kind of interesting that, amid all this, well, whining over ever escalating sequels in games, you seem to be against both Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog actually trying something new.

TsunamiWombat:
8th Gen consoles aren't coming for years, I hope. So I say BLAH to that. We've barely scratched the surface of what the hardware can do.

Indeed. Microsoft recently announced that they're deciding to make the 360 last ten years (if a single 360 actually lasts that long without Red Ringing, I'll eat a hard-cover dictionary), and I doubt Nintendo gives a shit about a new console.

i do like home, tho i don't spend much time in it but it really does have some potential to be really cool

it's better than the xbox live dashboard, that's for sure

Jumplion:

Khell_Sennet:

What? I have to say, that makes absolutely no sense to me. When is this mythical 8th-gen console coming out? 2013? 2016? And who says Sony is the one making this 8th-gen console, so what if one comes out anyway? Does the PS2 ring any doorbells? Besides, HOME has only been out for, what, 6 or so months (came out December 2008) and it's still (annoyingly) in Beta, give it some damn time.

I'm sorry, but your statement makes no sense to me, what the hell does 8th-gen consoles have to do with anything here?

5th Generation
Sega Saturn - May'95 - 5 years, 4 months after release of Genesis.
Playstation - Sep'95
Nintendo 64 - Sep'96 - 5 years, 1 month after release of SNES.

6th Generation
Sega Dreamcast - Sep'99 - 4 years, 4 months after release of Saturn.
Playstation 2 - Oct'00 - 5 years, 1 month after release of PSX.
Gamecube - Nov'01 - 5 years, 2 months after release of N64.
X-Box - Nov'01

7th Generation
X-Box 360 - Nov'05 - 4 years after release of X-Box.
Playstation 3 - Nov'06 - 6 years, 1 month after release of PS2.
Nintendo Wii - Nov'06 - 5 years after release of Gamecube.

8th Generation
Assuming trends hold steady at 5 years per generation, we can assume the following will be due...
XBox Gen8 - Winter 2010
Sony PS4 - Winter 2011
Nintendo Gen8 - Winter 2011

Data would suggest, the Playstation 3 is three or so months away from its half-life. If another system is in the works (and you can bet they are), developers are going to be pulling teams off of Gen7 games to start on Gen8 launch titles within a year and a half, two years tops. Makes it kinda not worth their time to bother with new gimmicks and services for a console about to go over the hill.

But that's just my take on it.

Khell_Sennet:

Jumplion:

Khell_Sennet:

5th Generation
Sega Saturn - May'95 - 5 years, 4 months after release of Genesis.
Playstation - Sep'95
Nintendo 64 - Sep'96 - 5 years, 1 month after release of SNES.

6th Generation
Sega Dreamcast - Sep'99 - 4 years, 4 months after release of Saturn.
Playstation 2 - Oct'00 - 5 years, 1 month after release of PSX.
Gamecube - Nov'01 - 5 years, 2 months after release of N64.
X-Box - Nov'01

7th Generation
X-Box 360 - Nov'05 - 4 years after release of X-Box.
Playstation 3 - Nov'06 - 6 years, 1 month after release of PS2.
Nintendo Wii - Nov'06 - 5 years after release of Gamecube.

8th Generation
Assuming trends hold steady at 5 years per generation, we can assume the following will be due...
XBox Gen8 - Winter 2010
Sony PS4 - Winter 2011
Nintendo Gen8 - Winter 2011

Data would suggest, the Playstation 3 is three or so months away from its half-life. If another system is in the works (and you can bet they are), developers are going to be pulling teams off of Gen7 games to start on Gen8 launch titles within a year and a half, two years tops. Makes it kinda not worth their time to bother with new gimmicks and services for a console about to go over the hill.

Thats assuming these things are cyclical, and not defined by other properties.

HOME does its job, its second life with a lot of Sony marketing potential that allows the casual gamers that ENJOY using HOME to see all the games they could be playing.

Which is why saying:

"For Sony, revenue isn't the main driver for Home," he said. "We're in this for the long term."

confuses me. HOME is obviously a marketing tool, wherever you go in HOME there is video screens showing the latest PS3 news/games, the digital items cost a ridiculous amount for an intangible digital accessory and the whole world is like Sony's ideal utopian society where everyone worships their name.

Now, I can live with this, but not if Sony is going to pretend that HOME isnt their ever growing source of pocket money.

Jumplion:

He means that time's running out for the PS3 to make a comeback.

DanniXXX:

NoMoreSanity:

I find it kind of interesting that, amid all this, well, whining over ever escalating sequels in games, you seem to be against both Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog actually trying something new.

They were great games.

LOL home is a piece of shit, Sony is going to have a hell of a time trying to make it "essential" to gamers

I really doubt they will attempt to make an 8th generation yet, so Home's expansion will be a great idea.

Really, what are they going to do? Make virtual reality? That's the only way to go. You can't go any other way.

NoMoreSanity:

DanniXXX:

NoMoreSanity:

They were great games.

No-ones disputing that, but what makes you think Uncharted and inFAMOUS aren't? The quality isn't always in the title, sometimes its in the team - witness what happened to Crash when Naughty Dog decided to make Jak and Daxter

NoMoreSanity:

*Hint Hint*

But if they rush the next game, Bently (can't remember if that's how you spell it) won't have enough time to get out of his God-retarded wheelchair. And the helmet.

NoMoreSanity:

*Hint Hint*

Would Sony be able to just push them into doing that, though? It'd be great if it happened, but still.

Blackadder51:
LOL home is a piece of shit, Sony is going to have a hell of a time trying to make it "essential" to gamers

Full of sexist pigs? Definitely. Shit? I woulden't necessarily say it's Shit. More like.. Underdeveloped.
Remember, its still a beta.

TheRedLucario:

NoMoreSanity:

*Hint Hint*

But if they rush the next game, Bently (can't remember if that's how you spell it) won't have enough time to get out of his God-retarded wheelchair. And the helmet.

The game better start you off with a Sly pretending to be a cop still (That's right he;s PRETENDING!)

Onmi:

TheRedLucario:

NoMoreSanity:

*Hint Hint*

The game better start you off with a Sly pretending to be a cop still (That's right he;s PRETENDING!)

No shit he's pretending. He winks at the end. And I doubt it, because the game is stealth. Cops don't really do stealth.

Onmi:

TheRedLucario:

NoMoreSanity:

*Hint Hint*

Oh please let that be.

DanniXXX:

NoMoreSanity:

DanniXXX:

NoMoreSanity:

They were great games.

No-ones disputing that, but what makes you think Uncharted and inFAMOUS aren't? The quality isn't always in the title, sometimes its in the team - witness what happened to Crash when Naughty Dog decided to make Jak and Daxter

I haven't played Uncharted and inFamous yet, that's the thing if they made a sequel for PS3 I would buy one.

EcoEclipse:

NoMoreSanity:

*Hint Hint*

Would Sony be able to just push them into doing that, though? It'd be great if it happened, but still.

If I have anything to say about it they can.

NoMoreSanity:

*Hint Hint*

exactly, short and sweet, thank you

TheRedLucario:

Onmi:

TheRedLucario:

NoMoreSanity:

*Hint Hint*

No shit he's pretending. He winks at the end. And I doubt it, because the game is stealth. Cops don't really do stealth.

What do you call STING operations?

DanniXXX:
What do you call STING operations?

Yes, but the cop chick (can't remember her name at all) doesn't do those. And Sly is her partner, so no, it won't happen. The cop girl is the run and shoot sort of person.

lolwut? I'm a PS3 owner and never plan on using home, and I sure as hell hope I never have to.

NoMoreSanity:

DanniXXX:

NoMoreSanity:

DanniXXX:

NoMoreSanity:

They were great games.

I haven't played Uncharted and inFamous yet, that's the thing if they made a sequel for PS3 I would buy one.

I'm pretty sure what we all want at this point is a Sly, Jak and Ratchet crossover game.

DanniXXX:

NoMoreSanity:

DanniXXX:

NoMoreSanity:

DanniXXX:

NoMoreSanity:

They were great games.

I'm pretty sure what we all want at this point is a Sly, Jak and Ratchet crossover game.

I would nerd-gasm in several different ways if that happened.

Translation: "Gamers don't like Home, but we really want them to use it. So we're just gonna start cramming it down their throats whether they like it or not."

Good strategy, Sony.

AceDiamond:
Also, thank you very much for generalizing that apparently, since I don't possess the clairvoyancy that you do, I cannot see that in 5 years PS3 Home will be the biggest deciding factor in people buying a PS3 for cybersex so they can have a GUI to wave their e-peens about their gamerscore or trophy amounts or whatever it is Sony calls it these days.

I would imagine that it wouldn't be, just a nice add-on.

Khell_Sennet:

That still makes no sense, must I point out the PS2, hell the PS1 lasted nearly 10 years as well during the PS2 life cycle. By your logic, it's useless to make any more games for any more console because the 8th generation consoles are coming in, oh, 4 or 5 years from now. 6 months for HOME (still, annoyingly, in Beta) is long enough to be "too little too late!" because an 8th generation console is coming around the block in the next few years?

But oh well! Better get to work on the Infinite Probability chip, that'll be in the 10th generation! (Sorry, been reading "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"...)

I'm sorry, but I have to say that this is one of your weaker arguments ;)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here