New Sony Netbook Costs a King's Ransom

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

New Sony Netbook Costs a King's Ransom

Thought the PSP Go was expensive? You ain't seen nothing yet.

When you think of netbooks, what comes to mind? For most people, the answer to that question is a small, low-powered portable computer that is above all else, cheap.

Sony have a slightly different answer though, with the Vaio P. (It's the one on the far left) It's still small and it's pretty low-powered, but it's anything but cheap, in fact it costs two thousand dollars. That's right, two thousand dollars.

To be fair to Sony, that particular model is a special edition, and the regular Vaio P costs a more reasonable, although still not cheap, $1,000. Having looked at it, I can't quite see what makes the special edition model more special than the regular versions, but I'm sure Sony have a plan. Although, given what some of their recent plans have been like, it might not be a very good one, as a policy of releasing very expensive hardware in a recession doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Still, it makes the PSP Go seem quite reasonable.

Source: Gizmodo

First, the PS3, then the PSP Go, then THIS. A fucking NETBOOK. That should cost at least 300-400 bucks.

I have nothing to say about this but: BLAOAAUGH?!

I'm sure that reprisents my utter confusion, terror and shock at that price.

Guh?

2000 dollars for that?

When you think of Sony, what comes to mind? For most people, the answer to that question is not reasonable prices.

What in heaven's name is the point of that? If you're spending two thousand dollars on a laptop, it's not going to be a lightweight netbook.

What the hell is wrong with Sony's marketing department? Do they really think they can turn a profit by selling shiny toys at premium prices in the middle of a bloody recession?

velcthulhu:
When you think of Sony, what comes to mind? For most people, the answer to that question is not reasonable prices.

Unreasonable prices for slightly above-average goods.

I personally will not be purchasing, examining, testing, or thinking of this product. I might go broke just from reading this.

The only funny thing I have to say is this.

They are doing it wrong!

Now here is the problem netbooks were meant to be low budget, low powered, and portable computers that were meant to access the internet and write documents, spreadsheets and look at e-mails. It was meant to convince the final group of consumers to say they "need" a computer in our society.

I would say netbooks are a step up from smart phones and can be quite daring for the small business man who dares to create programs for these netbooks but the price has to remain consistent with the audience. Yes there are a lot of people who will buy one just because they can and don't really need a netbook but there are those who are getting netbooks to be their only computer.

Christ, and I thought "Five Hundred and Ninety Nine US Dollars" was bad..........

Ho there, might as well spend those two thousand dollars on a MacBook Pro or something proper instead. I mean, jeez. For a NETBOOK? Is anyone going to buy that?

2000 dollars ... jesus christ thats insane!

2000 dollars for a fucking computer!? This is just insane. Who would buy this? Who COULD buy this?

Carbon Fiber Z model is over $4000 dollars o_O

To be fair to Sony, that particular model is a special addition, and the regular Vaio P costs a more reasonable, although still not cheap, $1,000. Having looked at it, I can't quite see what makes the special edition model more special than the regular versions, but I'm sure Sony have a plan.

Not sure what's special about it but maybe it involves a "premium"...

Seriosly, I have nothing against Sony, but I'm wondering what they're thinking lately. Maybe it's all part of some sort of diabolical plan to throw us for a loop?

Chartic:
2000 dollars for a fucking computer!? This is just insane. Who would buy this? Who COULD buy this?

People who need about 4 times the battery life.

kukuku ^^:
Carbon Fiber Z model is over $4000 dollars o_O

It's also a real laptop, this is supposed to be a netbook. You know, a nearly disposable computer, made with low quality parts so the user can access the internet and write term papers on the go.

God, with SONY's pricing strategy lately, I'm hoping for the companies sake that they DON'T make a Playstation 4.

I wonder if SONY is aware of something economists call a recession.

Depends what you get for 2000. For instance, it could dispense ketchup packets.

Internet Kraken:
Guh?

2000 dollars for that?

Well done for effectively stating the thread.

CustomMagnum:

God, with SONY's pricing strategy lately, I'm hoping for the companies sake that they DON'T make a Playstation 4.

What? You don't want a console that costs a bajillion dollars and needs fluency in Sanskrit and Sumerian to programme for? Are you insane? :P

Man i would love that laptop if i were rich.

Chartic:

I noticed one for only $4300. And the only redeeming part of it is 8GB RAM... But no information about the GPU. And CPU is only Dual Core 2.8 GHz.

For $4000 I could build a super-powerful PC that would last at least 5 years. And still get some cash for a 24" monitor and a 7.1 sound system, and a gaming mouse... and a keyboard and so on.

Okay, I get that it's expensive n' all ($2000 is a bitch after all) but really? How exactly does this have any real place in the news? Does anyone use Netbooks for games, or is it even possible to play games on Netbooks? I'd say "just another anti-Sony thread" though I don't want to start anything.

nothing is a sounder strategy during a recession then jacking up prices on non essential products in competitive markets

Kinda ruins the purpose does it not.The power of the thing is not even that great you can get a good 64bit laptop for a fraction of the price.

buy teh haloz:
First, the PS3, then the PSP Go, then THIS. A fucking NETBOOK. That should cost at least 300-400 bucks.

It does
Sorry :P

But going with the flow, it is some strange strategy. Even in a good financial time this seems excessive...maybe it can make dinner and such

Perhaps Sony thinks there is an untapped market for high-end electronics?

I like sony, but if you buy their laptops, you are a F-ing retard.

Jumplion:
Okay, I get that it's expensive n' all ($2000 is a bitch after all) but really? How exactly does this have any real place in the news? Does anyone use Netbooks for games, or is it even possible to play games on Netbooks? I'd say "just another anti-Sony thread" though I don't want to start anything.

So, although you don't want to start anything, you're still going to call my integrity into question?

I figured it out: this is to make up for the money they lose on every PS3. It probably cost them nigh on $100-300 to make this, and they hope the absolutely mind-blowing profit margin will make up for the lost money. Huh, no.

nilcypher:

Jumplion:

So, although you don't want to start anything, you're still going to call my integrity into question?

Sure makes sense to me!

velcthulhu:
When you think of Sony, what comes to mind?

This.

And sony wonders why I stopped buying their shit.

Oh wait, they don't, because they're a massive corporation who couldn't care less about me. So whatever

Last I checked, the PS3 is massively more powerful and costs less than half of this.

pantsoffdanceoff:

They made so much off the PS2 that they no longer see the rest of the world. All there houses are filled with money.

Gamer137:

pantsoffdanceoff:

They made so much off the PS2 that they no longer see the rest of the world. All there houses are filled with money.

Ugh I hate it when my house gets too full of money, I truly sympathize with SONY.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.