Revenge of the Fallen Makes $200 Million

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Revenge of the Fallen Makes $200 Million

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen has made its money back, and in just five days.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, the sequel to the hit 2007 movie, cost a whopping $200 million to make, a pretty steep threshold to get over before the movie makes a profit. So how long to you think it'll take before it breaks even, two weeks, maybe a month?

Try five days.

The movie's terrible reviews, including one from our very own MovieBob, hasn't kept the crowds away, and the movie has made an estimated $201.2 million in the five days since it opened in the US on Wednesday, already putting the movie in the black and nipping at the heels of The Dark Knight. Of course, that total doesn't include the UK or Japan, where the film opened last week, so Paramount and Hasbro are probably grinning like Cheshire Cats right now, especially seeing as they conservatively predicted $130 - $150 million.

It looks like Revenge of the Fallen is well on its way to being the biggest movie of the year, a title currently held by the new Star Trek movie, which grossed $246 million in seven weeks. I'll be over here, weeping for my childhood.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

We'll both be weeping, brother, I didn't know there were that many people who were into insipid boom fests and testicles on robots.

/facepalm

Wait what about Robots with balls?

I don't get why everyone thinks it was such a bad movie.

I mean, other than the robot testicles and the two most stereotypical characters with some of the worst jokes ever, it was actually not that bad.

GodsOneMistake:

There was one scene where a bunch of Decepticons merged together into one giant robot and it had metal balls.

I've not seen this yet, although going with how much hate it's been getting lately, I don't think I'll be going anymore >.>

odubya23:
We'll both be weeping, brother, I didn't know there were that many people who were into insipid boom fests and testicles on robots.

That and what's-her-face's ass. I hear it wiggles around on the screen alot.

GodsOneMistake:

Apparently a pair of wrecking balls hang...not seen it myself, so who knows?

You people should really stop that. This is hardly the worst movie out there. I mean, Year One is still in cinemas.

Why didn't I read the reviews......

Damn damn damn damn damn damn you Michael Bay!

Proof that business doesnt care for your nostalgia or your fanboy rage. Its just a movie strategically placed at the opening of summer. The age old summer blockbuster formula never fails, this shouldnt be a surprise.

whats this about robot testicles?

Michael Bay-splosions!!!!!
I loved the movie, the two "black" transformers cracked me up. And my theatre had a yellow 2010 Camaro outside so i got to take a pic with Bumblebee. Rad.

I am not a Transformers fan, and I have not seen this movie. But I do have an indirect hatred for these movies. The more popular these get, the more popualar giant robot movies will get in America. This means that it raises the chance of the live action Evangelion movie being made. After reading this, I am more afraid that it will happen.

Well, they made a profit in 5 days. The movie can't possibly be as bad as the reviews are - but then about 70% of sequels fail to step-up and impress people who think it can be made better than it already was.

For the record, the sequel of a sequel has even less of a chance to impress - take the Matrix Trilogy, for example.

Oh and I have no interest in seeing this movie as I couldn't have been bothered to see the first - so y'no had to point that out in case y'all thought I was some fanboy or some sh*t...

It wasn't that bad, but it was tooooooo looooong. After an hour I just didn't care anymore and my arse really hurt :(

And I don't remember any robot testicles.

Anyone thought about Duke Nukem growling "Balls of Steel" at that particular scene?

an utter turd of a movie

Actually the stupidest part of the movie was when the mom got high on the college campus.

Unbelievable...the film was awful, spectacularly awful and yet I hear people claiming its better than The Dark Knight...

Just goes to show what rubbish Hollywood can pump out and sell to make a profit...

Doug:

odubya23:

That and what's-her-face's ass. I hear it wiggles around on the screen alot.

You mean Shia Labeouf? Anyways, I might be seeing the movie tomorrow with my friends. Hopefully it isn't as horrible as everyone is saying it is.

You're all doing too much weeping for your childhoods. I am a fan of proper Transformers too, but maybe it's just me who's intelligent enough to not expect proper Transformers from the two movies. I just expect robots kicking the shit out of robots, and the scenes of that in the movie made the rest of the movie worth it for me, even though the movie in general is terrible. And maybe you all remember Transformers as being better than it is.

A couple of my friends and me made the same mistake with Super Mutant Ninja Turtles, we remembered it as being awesome, and decided to have a Marathon of the original cartoon. It was horrible, we were entertained, but it was still horrible as hell.

I'm fairly sure that Transformers is the same, you've all glorified it. Nostalgia will do that, so stop blaming the people who reuse the franchises for killing the franchises. They were dead anyway. Making a bad movie or game with an old franchise isn't much different from making a bad movie or game based on a new universe.

Besides, do the movies alter your memories of the old Transformers? If yes, maybe it's because it was never as good as you remember it. If no, stop whining about your childhood being raped as it appears to still be intact in your memories.

Time Travelling Toaster:
I've not seen this yet, although going with how much hate it's been getting lately, I don't think I'll be going anymore >.>

Don't listen to the hate, unless you have a stiff upper lip that is.

Gamer137:
I am not a Transformers fan, and I have not seen this movie. But I do have an indirect hatred for these movies. The more popular these get, the more popualar giant robot movies will get in America. This means that it raises the chance of the live action Evangelion movie being made. After reading this, I am more afraid that it will happen.

Starring Shia LeBoeuf as Shinji, he's already whiny enough.

The movie is not bad. Those of you trying to pretend to be above the awesome explosions, robot fighting, and attractive girls can just stop. You know you enjoyed it and if you say you didn't, you are a lying motherfucker.

Time Travelling Toaster:

Go see it in theaters. You'll enjoy the action a lot more on the big screen.

odubya23:
EDIT: Just clicked nilcypher's profile. Pardon me, we'll both be weeping, sister.

Nilcyphers a dude... OT, I actually quite liked it, and apart from dragging on a bit near the end thought it was a decent movie.

AceDiamond:

Gamer137:

Asuming this is serious, I'm not going to whine about Shia not suited to being Shnji because he is not Japanese. Nationality is not essential to the character development. However, no amount of special effects and make up is going to make him look 14, which is essential.

Eldritch Warlord:

Time Travelling Toaster:

Don't listen to the hate, unless you have a stiff upper lip that is.

It's not so much the hate though, it's the fact a friend who loves the first one more than me hated it...so I don't think it'll be worth going to see really >.>

ToonLink:
I loved the movie, the two "black" transformers cracked me up. And my theatre had a yellow 2010 Camaro outside so i got to take a pic with Bumblebee. Rad.

I actually couldn't tell if the two robots where redneck black or mexican lol.

Grand_Poohbah:
The movie is not bad. Those of you trying to pretend to be above the awesome explosions, robot fighting, and attractive girls can just stop. You know you enjoyed it and if you say you didn't, you are a lying motherfucker.

Or you know, your fed up of the bullshit that Hollywood pulls, time after time in creating terrible films with these exact same elements...

It was a terrible film when I saw it and I stick by this statement...

D_987:

Grand_Poohbah:

Or you know, your fed up of the bullshit that Hollywood pulls, time after time in creating terrible films with these exact same elements...

I stick by mine.

sneakypenguin:

ToonLink:

I actually couldn't tell if the two robots where redneck black or mexican lol.

I sorta thought they were redneck. The one with the dorky looking teeth made it seem even more redneck.

I went with my friends to see this movie and we all liked it. However after looking at some posts in the various forums, all I see is people whining about how horrible it was, as if Bay went the way of Molyneux and promised everyone the best movie evar and failed to deliver it. Hmmm... I might be onto something here...

Gamer137:

AceDiamond:

Gamer137:

Asuming this is serious, I'm not going to whine about Shia not suited to being Shnji because he is not Japanese. Nationality is not essential to the character development. However, no amount of special effects and make up is going to make him look 14, which is essential.

Well he acts like a 14 year old in public, screams like a girl onscreen (or so the brave friends of mine who actually spent money on Transformers:ROTFL tell me) and I'm pretty sure they can just CGI his Even Stevens-era face onto his face. And yes, I was being half-serious. On the one hand no way in hell would I want to see Shinji LeBoeuf. On the other hand, it's exactly what Hollywood will do to continue cramming the untalented prick down our throats.

And given how Megatron in these films looks like a stripped-down EVA-01 according to some people with too much free time on their hands, what're the odds Bay would get his explosion-addicted mitts on Evangelion? :P

Grand_Poohbah:

D_987:

Grand_Poohbah:

I stick by mine.

That makes no sense... thats as pathetic as me saying everyone that liked this film is an idiot - they aren't but its as harsh a generalization as yours.

xmetatr0nx:
Proof that business doesnt care for your nostalgia or your fanboy rage. Its just a movie strategically placed at the opening of summer. The age old summer blockbuster formula never fails, this shouldnt be a surprise.

Agreed. The movie studios also know that the vast majority of people are stupid, and will go see the movie because it's called "Transformers"

It's sad, but thats the way Hollywood works. You rarely see any new franchises starting now a days. It's all sequels, remakes, or movies based off of an already existing franchise. ...sigh.

Either way, they're not getting my hard earned cash for this piece of crap.

-Jon Etheridge
-Creator of Apocalypse Lane

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook