1300 Xboxes Stolen in Mississauga

Pages 1 2 NEXT

1300 Xboxes Stolen in Mississauga

Thieves in Mississauga have stolen a truck containing more than 1300 Xbox consoles, leading police to issue a warning to the public that this is a really great time to be on the lookout for a cheap 360.

Police say four or five thieves attacked a security guard at a trailer yard near Britannia Road East and Dixie, subduing and restraining him before dragging him under a parked trailer. They then made off with over 1300 Xbox 360 consoles in a black Trans-Send Freight Systems trailer, described as a 16-meter 2007 Air-Ride bearing the Ontario license plate C11-47X. The security guard received only minor injuries and is expected to fully recover.

The report didn't reveal which models of 360 were stolen so determining the actual value of the crime is tricky. Future Shop sells the Xbox 360 Arcade for $199.99 (Canadian, of course) while the 120GB Elite goes for double that amount; if the truck was packed with Elite systems the haul would be worth roughly $520,000, but as stolen property they'd sell for maybe half their retail value. 50 grand apiece, minus expenses, doesn't sound like a bad haul for one night of Toronto shenanigans. Not sure if it's worth going to jail for, though.

Peel Regional Police have issued a notice urging people to exercise caution if they're given the opportunity to buy a new Xbox 360 under "suspicious circumstances." Because, you know, it probably won't have any warranty. Anyone with information about the theft is urged to contact Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-888-222-TIPS.

Source: The Star

Wow. They really wanted Xboxes didn't they. Thats a nice cut of money too...

The most interesting thing in this news is the name of the town: Mississauga.

What the hell? Mississauga where the hell is that? xP

..You'd think they'd have better security.

Seriously? One security guard, and they just drive off in the truck, nobody noticing.

In other news: X-Box piracy increasing, CliffyB considering taking the pills of eternal sleep.

@Oliveira8 -- Canada

I think the contents of trucks are generally unknown to outsiders which means... it's an inside job!

oliveira8:

Just West of Toronto.

-------------

Oh, Mississauga...you and your shenanigans...

It's always Peel Region. Have you noticed that?

Wow that sucks, dont buy any xboxs from canada for awhile

oliveira8:
The most interesting thing in this news is the name of the town: Mississauga.

In Halton district outside of Toronto.

And from the looks of the picture.. Niko Bellic seems to be in on it.
Hmmm..

Well, I certainly won't be buying Xboxes for a while.

I have recently gotten my hands on 1300 Xbox 360's.......LAN PARTY!!!!

That's a pretty harsh fail right there.

Maybe next time they should invest in some security? Or maybe they wanted them to be stolen... Insurance? Deep.

I bet those guys dream of stealing a van full of PS3s one day..........

Pretty ingenious thieves.

HardRockSamurai:

And who are they gonna sell them to?

Asehujiko:

HardRockSamurai:

This guy:

These might be the same guy who stole 5000 lightbulb-less lamps.

Asehujiko:

HardRockSamurai:

I just bought an Xbox 360 from a canadian seller on eBay for $50. The item listing said there were 1243 left in inventory, possibly just a coincidence?

The irony of this? They learned how to steal the truck from playing GTA IV on the xBox 360.

Harbinger_:
Pretty ingenious thieves.

Not really, no visible advertising of what is in the trailer, stinks of an inside job by someone that knew exactly where the trailer was, what it looked like and what it contained, and they stole the most unreliable console on the market, maybe they stole in bulk for replacement parts?

Stoic Person Eater:
I just bought an Xbox 360 from a canadian seller on eBay for $50. The item listing said there were 1243 left in inventory, possibly just a coincidence?

Erm...yeah, that's more than just a coincidink, you could report them and earn more than $50 as a reward for turning them in, heck you could get a big enough chunk you could buy one quarter the volume of what they stole with street pricing.

Stoic Person Eater:

Asehujiko:

HardRockSamurai:

What location and what's the name of the person selling them? You should probably notify the tip line. If you don't, I will.

HardRockSamurai:

Asehujiko:

HardRockSamurai:

This guy:

I don't like him. I think he deserves a blanket party.

super_smash_jesus:
I have recently gotten my hands on 1300 Xbox 360's.......LAN PARTY!!!!

My thoughts exactly. Seriously thought that's a hell of a lot of money. drive those across the country and sell them piece by piece, you'll make a heinous amount.

JRCB:

Stoic Person Eater:

Asehujiko:

HardRockSamurai:

What location and what's the name of the person selling them? You should probably notify the tip line. If you don't, I will.

It was a joke. I would get a kick out of being interviewed by the police for someone taking a post on a forum too seriously.

I didn't get an Xbox 360 on eBay. I'm sure the people who stole them are not going to unload them on eBay for $50 a pop, listing their entire 1300 inventory.

Don't be such a dumb jerk.

Sounds to me it was just some concerned citizens trying to do thier community a favor by keeping them off the street (out of the stores.)

Stoic Person Eater:

Asehujiko:

HardRockSamurai:

Ha. Zing!

I'm going to be slightly more suspicious of cheap 360's. May buy one though, their future line up is healthier than I expected.
Don't they have serial numbers? Surely these can be traced.

Disclaimer: I'm not condoning illegal activity and would report if I suspected I had one.

New Troll:
Sounds to me it was just some concerned citizens trying to do thier community a favor by keeping them off the street (out of the stores.)

Hmm, because those people didn't want to have people wasting money on something that doesn't live up to expectations? Interesting....

.... later sources would reveal a few of the XBOX'es red ringing, prompting the thieves to turn it in to Microsoft for a repair. They were captured minutes later.

Come on, you'd laugh if that happened.

Malygris:
$199.99 (Canadian, of course)

The tone of this made me laugh a lot. Anyway, I'll be on the look out for them....on eBay...

Stoic Person Eater:

JRCB:

Stoic Person Eater:

Asehujiko:

HardRockSamurai:

It was a joke. I would get a kick out of being interviewed by the police for someone taking a post on a forum too seriously.

I didn't get an Xbox 360 on eBay. I'm sure the people who stole them are not going to unload them on eBay for $50 a pop, listing their entire 1300 inventory.

Don't be an asshole yourself. I'm just a concerned citizen. And it's hard to tell if a person is being serious over the internet.

And how was I being a jerk?

JRCB:

Stoic Person Eater:

JRCB:

Stoic Person Eater:

Asehujiko:

HardRockSamurai:

Don't be an asshole yourself. I'm just a concerned citizen. And it's hard to tell if a person is being serious over the internet.

And how was I being a jerk?

well your meant to stick up for the man, not stick it to him.
You said "if you don't, I will", thereby questioning his ethics and morality, I dont think it makes you a jerk. But thats why he called you one.

leading police to issue a warning to the public that this is a really great time to be on the lookout for a cheap 360.

Chortle Chortle.

HardRockSamurai:

This guy:

while your busted hand may one day heal, and I'll never have 3 PS3's, at least I'll be popular in well lit public places, what with not having fungus attached to my face.

Funny vid... somehow.

PyroZombie:
These might be the same guy who stole 5000 lightbulb-less lamps.

Actually, I think they caught him, but he got off with a light sentence.

*ba dum tsh*

Anyway, back on topic. Assuming they ditched the truck shortly after the heist, how did the perpetrators move thirteen hundred XBox360s? At approximately 16 pounds per unit (not counting packaging, peripherals, etc.) we're looking at TWENTY THOUSAND POUNDS. That's ten tons! It's not like you can just shove those all in the closet and hope Mom doesn't notice.

This speaks of premeditation, or access to a really secluded garage. I'd look at the inside-job angle.

...and dammit, now I'm imagining a bus hanging halfway off a cliff with more than a thousand 360s inside, right before a... cliffhanger ending. ARGH. Self-inflicted pun injury!

Malygris:
Thieves in Mississauga have stolen a truck containing more than 1300 Xbox consoles, leading police to issue a warning to the public that this is a really great time to be on the lookout for a cheap 360.

Not very smart on the part of the police. If I were the person who stole the truckload, I'd charge full price. WAY more money to be made by doing that. Or if they put them on a craigslist for $50 cheaper saying they are used, it would be even easier to liquidate the stock.

Not a bad heist, I'd be more impressed if it was a jewelery store truck.

Maybe it was just some guys frustrated with getting their 360s replaced from RRODing. Now they never have to wait to get a new one!

On the otherhand how the hell would you get rid of 1300 xbox360s... By the time they're done selling them a new console might be out.

Great picture, by the way. I want to believe that's what it actually looked like.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here