Activision Confirms 24 Guitar Hero 5 Tracks

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Activision Confirms 24 Guitar Hero 5 Tracks

Activision announced 24 of the 85 songs featured in Guitar Hero 5 today, revealing a little bit of something for everyone, from the hipsters to the Britpoppers to the classic rockers and uh, whatever you call people who like Coldplay.

At what point can you have too many damn songs in a music game? Guitar Hero 5 boasts a whopping 85 tracks, and, unsurprisingly, with that many tunes, there's gotta be something in the game for musical tastes of any inclination. Activision's PR arm says that Guitar Hero 5 has "variety of today's rock hits and classic tunes from some of the biggest names in music," and yes, there sure is variety here, provided you're talking about pop music with guitars in it.

There are so many songs here that it's not fair to choose to mention any few in particular and expect everyone to care about them, so I'll just make note of a few of the ones I'll be looking forward to playing and then post the list.

Kings of Leon's "Sex On Fire" is a pretty good song, but should serve more comedy value for drunken requests for somebody to play "Sex On Fire" than anything else. Blur's "Song 2" is a great tune, and should be good raucous fun, same goes for Vampire Weekend's "A-Punk." And Elliott Smith seems like a surprising choice for a party game considering how somber and introspective his music is, but hey, why not.

• Band Of Horses - "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands"
  • Beastie Boys - "Gratitude"
  • Beck - "Gamma Ray"
  • Billy Squier - "Lonely Is The Night"
  • Blur - "Song 2"
  • Bob Dylan - "All Along The Watchtower"
  • Children Of Bodom - "Done With Everything, Die For Nothing"
  • Coldplay - "In My Place"
  • Darkest Hour - "Demon(s)"
  • David Bowie - "Fame"
  • Deep Purple - "Woman From Tokyo ('99 Remix)"
  • Elliott Smith - "L.A."
  • Iggy Pop - "Lust For Life (Live)"
  • Jeff Beck - "Scatterbrain (Live)"
  • John Mellencamp - "Hurts So Good"
  • John Funk - "Is Bad at Street Fighter"
  • Kings Of Leon - "Sex On Fire"
  • Queens Of The Stone Age - "Make It Wit Chu"
  • Rose Hill Drive - "Sneak Out"
  • Santana - "No One To Depend On (Live)"
  • The Bronx - "Six Days A Week"
  • Thrice - "Deadbolt"
  • Tom Petty - "Runnin' Down A Dream"
  • Vampire Weekend - "A-Punk"
  • Wolfmother - "Back Round"

Which of these songs are you looking forward to playing?

For me it's gonna be Band Of Horses and Bob Dylan. Hell, the only reason I am thinking about buying the game is because I love Band Of Horses, and All Along The Watchtower thanks to Battlestar!

CoB will be one of the hardest to play and Blur will be the most fun.

John Funk? Someone tell me there's another one...

John Funk- Is Bad at Street Fighter

Ouch, Keane, you don't have to rub it in on him. No need for an inflated ego just because you won the SF4 tourney.

Thanks for the Blur, Bodom and Dylan Activision. I'm actually pretty convinced that "A-Punk" will be a fun song, even though it's one of the preppiest songs in the world.

hopeneverdies:
John Funk- Is Bad at Street Fighter

Ouch, Keane, you don't have to rub it in on him. No need for an inflated ego just because you won the SF4 tourney.

I'm not the only that sees it? Thank god...

Of all the songs they could choose from Queens of the Stone Age that would be really fun to play, they had to go with Make It Wit Chu? Why?
Not that it's a bad song, it just doesn't seem right for GH.

Deep Purple's Woman From Tokyo is good news though. I was hoping for that song to appear in a game for a long time now.

XxNoMercyxX:
This game is going to suck

God yes. They better chuck some better stuff in...

Resistance205:
For me it's gonna be Band Of Horses and Bob Dylan. Hell, the only reason I am thinking about buying the game is because I love Band Of Horses, and All Along The Watchtower thanks to Battlestar!

But it's the Dylan version of All Along the Watchtower, meaning that you are just going to be playing the same three chords for seven minutes. Don't get me wrong, I love the song, but the Hendrix version would be more fun to play on Guitar Hero.

Keane Ng:

Which of these songs are you looking forward to playing?

I think "Is Bad at Street Fighter" will probably be my favourite. It has a bit of slow intro that doesn't really signpost where its going, but once those crashing guitar chords come in, you know you're in for a good time. The bass solo is also nuts, and compliments the vocal scatting perfectly.

So yeah, I can't wait for that.

Vanguard_Ex:

XxNoMercyxX:

God yes. They better chuck some better stuff in...

Yeah, so far not imprssed. Went through the list and found myself most excited for John Mellencamp's "Hurts So Good" and then began to cry inside.

Well, Blur's "Song 2" might end up being fun to play.

There's NOTHING on that track list that's worth playing. It looks like a list of b-sides from bands I've never heard of. (I have heard of some of them, using hyperbole for effect here.)

It's a good list. Expecially Blur's Song 2. That should have been in there from waay at the beginning.

I also saw the John Funk bit :)

m_jim:

Resistance205:

But it's the Dylan version of All Along the Watchtower, meaning that you are just going to be playing the same three chords for seven minutes. Don't get me wrong, I love the song, but the Hendrix version would be more fun to play on Guitar Hero.

I know, but it's the original, I will admit the Hendrix version would have been cooler, but still.

m_jim:

Resistance205:

Agreed.
Even Dylan himself said the Hendrix version was better.

Though "Fame" is one of my least favorite Bowie songs, that should still be pretty good. "Sex on Fire" and "All Along the Watchtower" should also be solid despite preference towards Hendrix's version; and I don't see how far wrong you go with Santana as far as a game playing guitar goes.

You know what would've been a great Elliot Smith song? "Baby Britain"

I'm looking forward to Band of Horses, Bob Dylan, and Vampire Weekend.

song 2 should be fun...

but that whole list just feel meh to me...

Sorry Activision. I don't know any of those songs. Are they any good?

Customizable soundtracks. A lot of lower budgeted games have the ability to play customized soundtracks in a music game, I don't like a variety of Guitar Hero / Rock Band tracks, so let me use my own. Take Audiosurf for example...so is it that hard? Mods do it all the time with the older games (look up "Guitar Hero Through the fire and flames" for an example).

So far i'm not looking forward to this game at all and honestly i'm tired of buying a new guitar hero every six or seven months, I mean why doesn't RedOctane come out with more DLC more often like Rock Band does? The only reason i play GHWT is because of the Rise Against DLC pack

Dammit, Keane.

Resistance205:

I think Battlestar used the Hendrix version though, which even Dylan says is the better version. The list is kind of strange, for a bunch of the bands I can think of much better songs for them to have picked. Nothing really jumps out at me.

XxNoMercyxX:

remember this is only the first 24 songs they released. there are still 61 to go.

on the other hand i wish to see more children of Bobdom songs. i would honestly love to see some Rhapsody (i refuse to call them Rhapsody of Fire) on there. Heres to seeing Dawn of Victory :P

Bibliomancer:

Resistance205:

I think Battlestar used the Hendrix version though, which even Dylan says is the better version. The list is kind of strange, for a bunch of the bands I can think of much better songs for them to have picked. Nothing really jumps out at me.

Hendrix Version, and the BT40 version, and the Hendrix version is the best when you are looking for a more.."Beaty" type of tune, for a classic one, the original one is the best..Kind of obvious there but ah well.

CantFaketheFunk:
Dammit, Keane.

It's okay Funk, I don't think you're bad at Street Fighter.

But Keane DID win...

Beyond Bodom and,beck this looks shit

and why the hell would they pick a dylan cover of all along the watchtower??? i hope that`s a type ,or misunderstanding

Whurz mah Eye Of The Tiger, and Don't Stop Believin'????

From that list, I'm ashamed to say that I only know Sex On Fire. It's okay, but...

XxNoMercyxX:

thank god someone else agrees, way to drop the ball activision, but i guess when there 900 million music games out now the rights for songs barrel has just about hit the bottom, i cant believe its taken this long to get song 2 on one of these things, and no offense to anyone but id rather hear the jimmy hendrix all along the watchtower

Wow... that set list sucks. I like the song "Fame" by David Bowie, but it's really not a song you rock out to, ya know?

I'm glad I no longer buy into this franchise.

I still think they need to make Guitar Hero: Metal and no, don't say "oh, GH3 was pretty much metal". No, it wasn't. At the most, it had around 14 sounds that you could call metal (that is including stuff like Disturbed, which isn't really metal in my opinion)... 14 out of 73 isn't enough to call the entire game metal...

Wow the only songs I know are Sex on fire and song 2

most of these were announced already.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.