EA Launches Dragon Age Incentive Survey

EA Launches Dragon Age Incentive Survey

Would a little Mass Effect 2 bonus help you decide to purchase Dragon Age: Origins? EA wants to know!

EA and BioWare sent out a survey last night asking fans a few questions about the upcoming RPGs Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins. While it was brief and fairly straightforward - Do you own Mass Effect, are you planning on buying Mass Effect 2, are you aware of Dragon Age, etc. - there was a focus on some Dragon Age: Origins/Mass Effect 2 cross-game promotions EA may be considering.

The survey asks whether participants would be more likely to buy Dragon Age: Origins if it came with exclusive Mass Effect 2 content like a custom character skin, a unique weapon or piece of armor, a bonus mission, a demo or a $5 rebate coupon. An option to "make your own incentive" is also offered.

It looks like EA may be hedging its bets at bit with Dragon Age, hitching its new and unproven IP wagon to the can't-miss mega-hit of Mass Effect 2. I'm not a big fan of cross-game promotions but from a business standpoint I suppose it makes sense; Dragon Age is by all reports considerably different than what RPG fans have come to expect from BioWare and gamers unfamiliar with the studio's Baldur's Gate roots may be put off by what they see.

So how about it? Will some Mass Effect goodies make you more likely to run out and pick up Dragon Age: Origins? What's it going to take to put you behind the wheel of this game today?

I was planning on getting Dragon Ages anyway but if theres some Mass Effect 2 stuff included, sweet deal.

Yes, some Mass Effect 2 stuff probably would help me buy Dragon Age...

At least that's what I'm going to tell Bioware, I was secretly planning to buy Dragon Age all along.

WeedWorm:
I was planning on getting Dragon Ages anyway but if theres some Mass Effect 2 stuff included, sweet deal.

Same here, the Mass Effect 2 extra would just be a pleasent bonus for a game I am already going to get.

Hell my mind was set on getting in when it was announced it wouldn't have any over the top DRM.

I find it odd that they're trying to sell a game by giving bonuses to another game not yet released, like if Dragon Age will suck enough you will at least feel happy having bonuses in ME 2...
*Insert Twilight Zone Music Here*

The game's not even out yet, is it?

Ah well, I plan on getting it none the less, but if I get Mass Effect 2 stuff AS WELL?! Oh hell yes.

WeedWorm:

Pretty much this. I've already got Dragon Age on Pre-order!
But adding ME2 stuff would certainly sweeten the deal, since I'll also be getting that!

Well that depends, if I still get ME2 bonuses with a PS3 copy of Dragon Ages then yes, yes it probably would. Otherwise, I'll just be annoyed because I'll feel like I have to buy a 360 copy.

PedroSteckecilo:
Yes, some Mass Effect 2 stuff probably would help me buy Dragon Age...

At least that's what I'm going to tell Bioware, I was secretly planning to buy Dragon Age all along.

My thoughts exactly. Me, I'm going with the "bonus Mass Effect character" option.

And if you give me an extra mission, I will tell alllll my friends to buy it, tooooooo.....

:D

My stance on this would be that the best incentive for making someone like me want to buy Dragon Age, would be to include extras for Dragon Age, and not an unrelated game. As someone who didn't really like Mass Effect, and has no interest in Mass Effect 2, I do have a bit of a bias. But I'd feel the same about a game I do want. If Battlefield 3 came with extra Sims3 content, I'd still be like "What the fuck". Sure, I want BF3, and have Sims3, but why would someone ever think of a Japanese style furniture set would sell me on a shooter game where the only thing standing between you and painful bullet-rape is a wall that doesn't actually obey the laws of physics?

Where can we find this survey? Was/is it private or can we participate?

They should just try harder to make it look like Dragon Age isn't half low quality fantasy fiction and half offensive pandering. I wasn't planning on buying Mass Effect 2 either.

No. It may actually put me off a little. Having extra goodies dumped in a game I do not want that should have been included in the game I paid for. Fuck that. I would be more likely to just pirate the added content and give Bioware the finger.

I'm planning on buying both games anyway but this kind of thing annoys me a bit, I have to admit. The whole idea of "incentives" irritates me. You want to give me an incentive to buy your games? Make them not suck.

See how simple that is?

No, it won't help me buy Dragon Age... it might help me along to buy Mass Effect 2. I was planning to get Dragon Age since I saw the cover story on GI.

I'm not planning on buying Mass Effect 2 - didn't really enjoy the first one.

I am planning on buying Dragon Age if i can afford it though.

The fact that they try to sell people ME2 goodies as "incentive" seems like they are covering up for a lack of quality in DA:O.

The fact that they are selling you non-refundable parts of ME2 seems like they are trying to scam as many people as possible before they discover a lack of quality in ME2.

Remember the free WAR hat you got with the RA3 collectors edition? Both games sucked.

Game could come with a golden ticket to willie wonkers & I still wouldnt get it unless enough reviews said it was good

Ironically I am more interested in Dragon Age then I am currently in Mass Effect 2, so the inverse of providing me with something cool in Dragon Age would make me more interested in picking up Mass Effect 2 than vice versa.

putting sci-fi extras in as fantasy game just seems odd.

Slycne:
Ironically I am more interested in Dragon Age then I am currently in Mass Effect 2, so the inverse of providing me with something cool in Dragon Age would make me more interested in picking up Mass Effect 2 than vice versa.

Same here.
If my computer can run it, I know I'll pick it up.

Mass Effect was alright, but...I dunno.
I guess I prefer fantasy to sci-fi now.

How bout purchase Dragon Age Origins and get 50% off Mass Effect 2?

I, on the other hand, am planning on buying Mass Effect 2, but not Dragon Age.

Even though I will be able to run both games at Medium/High. God bless Intel's easy to overclock by 33% CPUs.

Eagle Est1986:
Well that depends, if I still get ME2 bonuses with a PS3 copy of Dragon Ages then yes, yes it probably would. Otherwise, I'll just be annoyed because I'll feel like I have to buy a 360 copy.

That's what I was thinking. Unless ME2 (and thus the bonus content) is coming to the ps3 (is it?), this move would really hamstring the ps3 versions sales.

I was going to get it for the ps3 but if there's going to be ME2 premiums, I'll probably get it for the pc instead as that's what I'll be playing ME2 on.

Besides that, It just seems like a weird juxtaposition.

I'm going to buy both of them anyway. So free stuff won't necessarily make me more likely to purchase anything, but it will make me happier.

I won't be buying Dragon Age unless the world implodes by it's awesomeness. I saw the demo at PAX last year and was not impressed. And I've seen nothing since that has changed my mind.

But Mass Effect 2, I will be buying. No other game has ever given me a choice that I regret making even years later. R.I.P. Gunnery Chief Williams...

I think they're highly over-estimating the effect this kind of cross promotion will have. This will only benefit those that were planning on buying both already. I can't see people buying an original IP just on the basis of extra content for a completely unrelated game.

Despite only seeing about three proper gameplay videos, Dragon Age looks much more to my taste than Mass Effect was.

I did enjoy various parts of ME, but in general the game was about a 7/10 in my eyes. So I couldn't be less bothered about the sequel.

Dragon Age, however, is the only game I've ever pre-ordered, but mostly because of the added extras and the fact it was only £26.99 on Play.com.

Guess I might be disappointed, but if it's at least as good as NWN/NWN2 et al. I'll be happy. If by some work of magic its as good as Baldurs Gate, I might just explode.

I would say on that survey that Mass Effect 2 bonuses would NOT make me buy Dragon Age, if for no other reason than to lessen the chance of them creating exclusive content like that.

I'm still probably going to buy both of them.

Hmmm... What about Plushies? Can't go wrong with plushies, include a limited edition 6" or 8" "Dragon Age" dragon plush in the package, and that would have me buy the game.

I really hope that they just do a demo: think what happened with Crackdown.

I don't want to suddenly find out after purchasing a game that I don't have something awesome that everyone else does because they bought another game.

I wonder if they sent this survey to PS3 owners? It would be sweet to own exclusive content for ME2 on the PS3. You could keep it in a box under your bed...

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.