Blizzard Ponders Bruce Campbell's Role in Warcraft Film

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blizzard Ponders Bruce Campbell's Role in Warcraft Film

With director Sam Raimi officially tied to the Warcraft movie, the question is not "will Bruce Campbell be in the film," but rather, "who will he play?"

Okay, okay. It's true that Bruce Campbell - perhaps best known for his work as Ash Williams in the Evil Dead series - hasn't been in every movie Sam Raimi has directed, but... well, look at their respective lists, and you'll find that it's pretty close.

So with Raimi tapped to helm the upcoming feature film set in the world of Blizzard's popular Warcraft series, the question being bandied around at Blizzard's Irvine, CA headquarters seems to be a matter of wondering just who the cult-film icon will play. At least, that's what VP of creative development Chris Metzen said during the Warcraft "Epic Loot" panel at Comic-Con.

"I keep thinking [Campbell] might make a killer Goblin," said Metzen, "He's got a kick ass chin." In all seriousness, though Campbell might be a bit tall to play one of the pint-sized Warcraft Goblins, Metzen mentioned that he could see the actor in a CGI role, a la Andy Serkis' turn as Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Metzen was apparently unable to comment further on the upcoming film other than mentioning that the PC powerhouse had been "prepping all engines to rock." While we can't - and shouldn't - take Raimi's involvement or even Metzen's comments as a gospel promise that Campbell will be attached to the product, we can hope and dream, right?

Many people who have played Warcraft III may remember the Dwarven Mortar Team's shoutout to Campbell's famous "This is my boomstick!" line, so there's my vote: Bruce Campbell should play a Dwarven mortar team. By himself.

Either that, or High Overlord Saurfang.

(Edit: Whoops. That was the Dwarven Rifleman, not the Mortar Team.)

(Kotaku)

He could play an old washed up hero out to redeem himself.

He could play Ash. Yeah, I know it's not 'Evil Dead', so what? It'd still be cool.

CantFaketheFunk:
Many people who have played Warcraft III may remember the Dwarven Mortar Team's shoutout to Campbell's famous "This is my boomstick!" line, so there's my vote. Bruce Campbell should play a Dwarven mortar team. By himself.

The awesome thing is that he could totally do it, and it'd be amazing.

Alternatively, I could definitely see him playing a bunch of Goblins. I mean, he did the whole "multiple selves" thing in Army of Darkness, so he could pull it off now.

He can play a chaotic good male warrior named Madmartigan, whose madcap shenanigans and valiant swordsmanship win the day for the noble hobbits on their quest to defeat the evil witch.

Kudos if you get this: NO, NOOO, I SLEEEEEEEEEEEPTTTT TOOO LOOOONG!
But this might be cool.

I'd love it to be full of angry nerds. Using all sorts of WoW talk. It would be amazing.

Bruce Campbell
<Warrior Trainer>

Still, I'm worried of the thought of Bruce Campbell in the Warcraft movie.
For his sake, of course.

madcap2112:
He could play Ash. Yeah, I know it's not 'Evil Dead', so what? It'd still be cool.

Evil Dead IV: EVIL......DEADER? but yea, I could see him as a Orc or some kind of horde character, unless they pull a 180 and make him a gnome...... with Bruce Campbell gnomes, no one wins......

WrongSprite:
I'd love it to be full of angry nerds. Using all sorts of WoW talk. It would be amazing.

The Villain could be a level 58 Death Knight who keeps rolling need on healing gear.

Bruce Campbell as Leroy Jenkins. That one writes itself.

Nathanos Blightcaller, Champion of the Banshee Queen.

vultureX21:

Seconded. But in all seriousness I think any part he plays would be awesome. :D

How about Bruce Campbell plays as everybody. He's the only actor in the entire movie playing like 50 different roles... IT would be sweet at hell

He should be Tirion Fordring, and he should keep yelling about the Ash-Bringer :P

In all seriousness, I kinda have him down as either a Goblin (although I like the idea of him playing LOTS of Goblins) or a Dwarf with a gigantic rifle. I don't like the Dwarf idea too much 'cos it'd obscure his chin...

Chipperz:
He should be Tirion Fordring, and he should keep yelling about the Ash-Bringer :P

In all seriousness, I kinda have him down as either a Goblin (although I like the idea of him playing LOTS of Goblins) or a Dwarf with a gigantic rifle. I don't like the Dwarf idea too much 'cos it'd obscure his chin...

The Warcraft movie's going to be set between RoC/TFT and WoW. Tirion Fordring will still be sat in his shack on the border of the Eastern Plaguelands. ;>

Way to bring up the DMT, but it was the Dwarven Riflemen who had the "This is my boomstick" line.

And dimes to dollars it'd be High Overlord Saurfang.

id be happy if he and chuck norris just had a cameo

vultureX21:

Damn it!! ninja'd. I was just talking about this with friends. How badass would that be!

Sigel:

vultureX21:

Damn it!! ninja'd. I was just talking about this with friends. How badass would that be!

Just picture whoever the main characters are meeting Leroy along the road and all the eccentric behavior Campbell would inject into that role. Hell you could even have the leads end up in Leroy's fateful raid party.

Well, Bruce isn't a young as it once was, nor is he as fit. Who knows what they might make him into. Perhaps they will just make him some lowly merchant that has a bunch of lines?

Example of today's Bruce IN ACTION

maybe a pissed off tauren or even Illidan i could see him doing

Rise of Ravenholdt!

Bruce campbell : undead detective level 45

madcap2112:

Ash getting transported into the middle of azeroth by the necronomnicon--

Now THATS a movie.

im seeing undead for sure, its so cliche it would work, undead... mage? warrior? break the mold and be first undead hunter! oh yeah, just think Campbell all zombie gorey, or just google it

TundraWolf:

CantFaketheFunk:
Many people who have played Warcraft III may remember the Dwarven Mortar Team's shoutout to Campbell's famous "This is my boomstick!" line, so there's my vote. Bruce Campbell should play a Dwarven mortar team. By himself.

The awesome thing is that he could totally do it, and it'd be amazing.

Alternatively, I could definitely see him playing a bunch of Goblins. I mean, he did the whole "multiple selves" thing in Army of Darkness, so he could pull it off now.

This. He could pull off the goblins so well. They could just CG him in like Gollum. No need for a diet or training program for Bruce Campbell!

thiosk:

madcap2112:

Ash getting transported into the middle of azeroth by the necronomnicon--

Now THATS a movie.

Feck yeah.

That was one of my favorite parts to Warcraft. Spam click the units and the say funny things.

Peasant, "We found a witch, may we burn 'er?", "The horse kicked me sir...it hurt..."

Soo many great quotes go into that game.

He's going to be an angry elf hunter with a bo-... blunderbuss.

Because his character's weird like that.

Bruce Campbell is to movies what Chuck Norris is to Texas Law Enforcement

Many people who have played Warcraft III may remember the Dwarven Mortar Team's shoutout to Campbell's famous "This is my boomstick!" line

I'm pretty sure it's a Rifleman that says that line...

iblis666:
id be happy if he and chuck norris just had a cameo

That might be too much awesome for one movie. :D

If it hasn't been said, Chuck Norris should play Saurfang.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here