CoD: Modern Warfare Mobilizes For the DS

CoD: Modern Warfare Mobilizes For the DS

Who doesn't want to hunt terrorists on the go? Modern Warfare is heading to a more portable battleground with CoD: Modern Warfare Mobilized for the Nintendo DS.

As console owners get their change to indulge in some warfare of the modern variety this fall, it looks like DS owners won't be left out in the cold either - Activision has announced Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Mobilized for Nintendo's popular handheld platform. Gee, a company trying to capitalize on a guaranteed hit title by releasing a handheld companion game? Who'd ever see that coming?

Mobilized will be developed by n-Space, the same company who did the DS versions of CoD4 and World at War. Frankly, I don't know if they were any good or not - I didn't even know that there were DS ports of those two games, to be honest - but at least the developer has some experience with the platform, right?

According to the press release, Mobilized will feature "building-to-building tactical combat," vehicle sections that put players at the controls of "Battle Tanks and UAV spy drones or ... the guns of an AC-130 gunship," and a story that acts as a "companion narrative" to, one would assume, its blockbuster brother. There will also be online multiplayer for up to six people.

Mobilized will hit stores along with Modern Warfare 2 on November 10th.

There is no way that is going to be worth buying. The graphics* will be extremely poor, it will be buggy, and it will have shitty controls and mapmaking. There will be clipping and collision errors, and the camera will be a moron. Same goes for the AI.

*I'm aware that the DS is a handheld, and has extremely low power, but I still think graphics will count.

Tl;Dr, the DS should stick to casual games.

Cool. From what I've heard, their previous DS titles were pretty decent FPS games.

Good to see that DS isn't going to suffer from a "make the game on every console, even if it ain't going to work" approach.

I heard the first CoD4 was okay, so there might be a very small chance of this being good. Very small.

I didn't know there were CoD games for the DS either. The DS seems like an odd choice for CoD. Seems like it would fit better on the PSP.

MorteSphere:
There is no way that is going to be worth buying. The graphics* will be extremely poor, it will be buggy, and it will have shitty controls and mapmaking. There will be clipping and collision errors, and the camera will be a moron. Same goes for the AI.

*I'm aware that the DS is a handheld, and has extremely low power, but I still think graphics will count.

... and you know this how?

On topic: It seems like it could work. Depending on how long development was, it could be one of the better (or best) first-person shooters on the market for the DS.

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

History shows.

CoD4 DS was a competent shooter from the technical side, it just was too damn boring since headshots were the only way to really kill enemies and that meant no matter what weapon you had you always did only precise single shots, whether it was a pistol or an AK74. You just stood there and clicked on the enemies one after another. The vehicle sections were better but it seemed like you were practically invulnerable in those. If you want a better xPS game get Brothers in Arms DS.

MorteSphere:

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

History shows.

That's a depressing way to look at it. By your logic, every shooter should have sucked.

There is no way this is going to work.

I have a feeling this will generate much facepalm.

JRCB:
[quote="MorteSphere" post="7.128723.2768058"]There is no way that is going to be worth buying. The graphics* will be extremely poor, it will be buggy, and it will have shitty controls and mapmaking. There will be clipping and collision errors, and the camera will be a moron. Same goes for the AI.

[/quote
Well I've played the other two and I thought they were awful. So, a similar game by the same developer?

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

History shows.

That's a depressing way to look at it. By your logic, every shooter should have sucked.

No, all shooters for the DS. :B

I will wait till reviews say how crap it is until I laugh a the people who bought it

I doubt that much good will come of this, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being. You never know if might be good (or at least decent).

The DS's trackpad combined with a thumb mounted stylus makes the Nintendo DS the best portable platform for First Person Shooters, even if the best graphics are only up to PS1 standards, I'd rather have speed and precision of aim that is almost on par with a mouse over the PSP.

See, the PSP though fairly good graphics the controls for FPS games are ATROCIOUS as usually you are forced to aim with the face buttons.

People are completely unreasonable with DS, disregarding it as a "casual console" when it has the most hardcore portable games on the market (Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden, Metroid Prime) yet dismissing them because PSP has slightly better graphics.

Gameplay>>>> graphics

PSP may have (almost) PS2 graphics but with SNES controls the gameplay is horrible, trying to play 3D games with only one analogue nub = pain in the neck.

I have yet to find an original PSP game that I enjoy and I've have had a PSP for over 2 years now.

MorteSphere:

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

History shows.

Metriod Prime hunters worked out pretty well. The controls using the touch screen was great and the graphics were reasonable and I don't remember it being buggy.

The Rockerfly:
I will wait till reviews say how crap it is until I laugh a the people who bought it

Reviews weren't too bad.

KDR_11k:

The Rockerfly:

Reviews weren't too bad.

I meant for the new one but still I didn't think it would do that well. Although it might just be that someone, somewhere is always going to think something is good

messy:

MorteSphere:

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

History shows.

Metriod Prime hunters worked out pretty well. The controls using the touch screen was great and the graphics were reasonable and I don't remember it being buggy.

It was a hyperbole.

I have COD4 and WaW on the DS and they are pretty well made games, especially Cod4. The graphics are about as good as PC graphics were back in 1998, which is pretty impressive for a handheld device released in 2004. When Nintendo comes up with a new handheld device in 2010, I sure hope it will be just as powerful in comparison and thus be able to produce graphics comparable to those on PCs in 2004.

MorteSphere:

Define: Casual Games

Amnestic:

MorteSphere:

Games like... Peggle. That would be good for the DS. Puzzle games. Games such as 'Big Brain Academy'.Y'know?

MorteSphere:

Amnestic:

MorteSphere:

Games like... Peggle. That would be good for the DS. Puzzle games. Games such as 'Big Brain Academy'.Y'know?

Wait, is Peggle not ON the DS yet? Jeez, if it isn't, it would make huge money. Peggle on the iPhone already has.

OT, we'll wait and see if its good. Multiplayer is the main part of the CoD franchise though, so I can't see it getting more than a 7 in reviews.

I played the first Modern Warfare DS at my friend's house.

It was terrible. It seemed like they weren't even trying to make it fun.

MorteSphere:

The DS has never stuck to casual games, and there's no reason for it to do so in the future. It's a good fit for strategy games like Advance Wars, as well as action like Contra and Castlevania.

I'm definitely not a big believer in FPSs on handhelds. If they want the CoD brand on the DS, I think their best bet would be a tactics game of some kind.

MorteSphere:

messy:

MorteSphere:

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

History shows.

It was a hyperbole.

Well that's the problem with it just being text it's very difficult to judge how serious someone is being over the internet.

Nutcase:

MorteSphere:

The DS has never stuck to casual games, and there's no reason for it to do so in the future. It's a good fit for strategy games like Advance Wars, as well as action like Contra and Castlevania.

I'm definitely not a big believer in FPSs on handhelds. If they want the CoD brand on the DS, I think their best bet would be a tactics game of some kind.

I adore the advance wars franchise, and I should have mentioned them.

messy:

MorteSphere:

messy:

MorteSphere:

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

JRCB:

MorteSphere:

History shows.

It was a hyperbole.

Well that's the problem with it just being text it's very difficult to judge how serious someone is being over the internet.

Not many competent human beings would make such a broad generalization.

Did anyone play CoD 4 and 5 on DS? Brilliant games!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here