Is LucasArts Planning the Return of TIE Fighter?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Is LucasArts Planning the Return of TIE Fighter?

LucasArts has dropped a hint that X-Wing and TIE Fighter, two of the finest space combat sims ever made, could be staging a comeback.

Back in the early 90s, when DOS was king and Star Wars games still had a certain cachet about them, LucasArts put out two space combat simulators that would set a standard for the genre that very few games have ever been able to approach, much less exceed. X-Wing came first in 1993, followed in '94 by the even more excellent TIE Fighter, which was remarkable not only as a space sim but also for the way it was able to portray the Empire and its soldiers and pilots in a sympathetic light without turning everything laughably emo.

But there's been precious little since. The decent X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter came out in 1997 but failed to catch on with fans because of its nearly-complete lack of single-player support; X-Wing Alliance, launched two years later, was more warmly received but for one reason or another it marked the end of the Stars Wars space combat sims.

But maybe not forever. Based on the apparent success of the Monkey Island rejuventation, G4tv.com asked LucasArts President Darrell Rodriguez what he thought about the possibility of a similar treatment for the storied starfighter games. Surprisingly, Rodriguez did not dismiss the question outright but instead hinted that plans could already be in the works.

"We don't have any announcements now, but stay tuned," he said. "We will soon..."

Ominous - just like that guy from the Emperor's Inner Circle who wants you to do all that weird stuff while you're out fighting the Rebellion. But it's also very promising, if there's any truth to it. Redoing the Monkey Island games is great but it's the thought of hopping back into the cockpit of an X-Wing or TIE Fighter that really gets my joystick swinging. You can bet we'll be keeping an eye on this one.

The space sim genre is long overdue for a comeback, this is nice to hear. As long as it doesn't get horribly "streamlined" for consoles that is.

I'd like a Remake, it looks like a fun game and I'm a total Star Wars whore.

I've been an atheist for years. If these games return, it will be prove that there IS, indeed, a God.

Oh, AWESOME.

Malygris:
Redoing the Monkey Island games is great but it's the thought of hopping back into the cockpit of an X-Wing or TIE Fighter that really gets my joystick swinging.

TMI, Andy.

Everyone get your joysticks and hop into your cockpits! Yeah a game I would like to replay!

Oh freakin' yeah! Oh hell freakin' YEAH!

Dollars to donuts, it turns out to be another Rogue Squadron game.

Red 5 standing by!

Just keep George away from it. Unless I can strap Jar-Jar to the turrets.

My list of suggestions for LucasArts (unchanged since ~1997):

1. Release the original missions from both the X-Wing and TIE flight sim games in an updated engine.

2. Include a mission editor.

3. Update the engine on a biannual cycle.

4. Release quarterly mission packs.

5. Ignore pleas for online PvP, because XvT already proved that this creates a never-ending circle fight.

6. Heed pleas for online co-op missions.

7. Never make another type of Star Wars game, ever.

I'm almost positive this would create a near endless stream of revenue with which to fully revive the SCUMM genre proper. Not that I agree the world wants or needs to do so; simply because I have tremendous empathy for those who have expressed such desires.

They haven't listened so far, but maybe, juuuuuuust maybe, this time will be different.

Though when I read this article I admit I got a little optimistic..... however I immediately crushed it when I remembered how much they cock-up TFU.

Yes, the distinctive wail of incoming masses of TIE Fighters! I'll never ever forget the sound.

I remeber playing tie fighter and it was awesome. I embrace a remake with open arms.

In the interim you guys can go to http://www.hard-light.net and bug the Fate of the Galaxy team who is doing a mod converting open-source Freespace 2 to Star Wars. Maybe they'll get it released sooner.

I'd still be playing it, if it didn't require a Joystick. I have a hard copy in a drawer here. Great game. I love it.

SaintWaldo:

1. Release the original missions from both the X-Wing and TIE flight sim games in an updated engine.

5. Ignore pleas for online PvP, because XvT already proved that this creates a never-ending circle fight.

I'm almost positive this would create a near endless stream of revenue with which to fully revive the SCUMM genre proper. Not that I agree the world wants or needs to do so; simply because I have tremendous empathy for those who have expressed such desires.

They haven't listened so far, but maybe, juuuuuuust maybe, this time will be different.

I disagree on seven.

I want Battlefront III!

Now I've got the music stuck in my head. I loved how it would change based upon battlefield events so you knew when the next wave of enemy fighters had appeared, or when your friendly reinforcements arrived.

"ITS A TRAP!"

seriously though, there was no other game i played so much. Aside from wing commander, which sorely needs a big fat remake aswell, x wing was THE best space Sim ever released.

please oh please bring it back!!

Malygris:
Redoing the Monkey Island games is great but it's the thought of hopping back into the cockpit of an X-Wing or TIE Fighter that really gets my joystick swinging.

Hey, kids read The Escapist too! Aren't there rules against this? :P

On topic, that is seriously awesome. I came along too late to enjoy the heyday of good Star Wars games (matter of fact, the only SW games physically in my collection are Dark Forces 2 and Galactic Battlegrounds), but seeing as I do like the franchise, I'll be looking forward to this.

As much as I agree that remakes hardly ever live up to the nostalgic sheen we often place on favorite games, I'd like to think that revisions of X-Wing or TIE Fighter wouldn't be full of wooden characters devoid of personality that deliver lines tied to concepts that completely molest memories from our formative years.

Lucas has done that enough already.

I still have TIE Fighter and X-Wing around my house somewhere. Hopefully these ones will be just as good. Just as long as it doesn't have that damn password book crap like the old ones did.

I still have the original, this game was absolutely badass. Played through soooo many times. This'd be something worth buying.

SaintWaldo:

You have it completely right. All I can add is a +1.

Between this and news that Mechwarrior is making a come back it looks like the next few years will be glorious indeed.

I had fond memories of the original x-wing, you know the one with an actual story line. x-wing vs tie was just for the achievement hunters of the 80's...or was it the 90's... well it's lucas arts I lost faith in their games after full throttle.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES DO WANT!!!!

I'm not so sure anyone knows how fuckin EXCITED i am for this. PLEASE NOW!

Of course, the very best thing they could do is make a full fledged X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter MMORPG, complete with career progression and a raging galactic war, even allowing players to eventually get promoted up to the likes of being a Super Star Destroyer captain.

And, like any bleeding-edge MMORPG, it'd be free to play with micropayments.

It would have the best parts of gameplay from this:

And look like this:

Yup, we called it first!

If they do re-release it they better not dumb it down for consoletards like what recently happened with Battlefield 1943.

I'm not going to get my hopes up for this but I would LOVE to play another X-wing/Tie Fighter game. I really didn't get into the dumbed down Rogue Leader games, they were fine but they were mostly ground missions with insane time limits making the game more fast sure but it just bored me compared to X-wing and Tie Fighter. I might have to install Tie Fighter now, though the system requirements look a bit steep...
Pent 133
Ram 16mb
4x CD ROM drive?!?!
Direct X 4.2

Yo anyone got a 4x drive I can borrow? All I have is this reel to reel thing

Ram 16mb

I giggled a bit. That's just..awesome.

My god if this game is released i will be as giddy as someone who is very giddy indeed, a schoolgirl perhaps...

as long as George Lucas isn't involved, i'm fine with it

geldonyetich:
Of course, the very best thing they could do is make a full fledged X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter MMORPG, complete with career progression and a raging galactic war, even allowing players to eventually get promoted up to the likes of being a Super Star Destroyer captain.

And, like any bleeding-edge MMORPG, it'd be free to play with micropayments.

It would have the best parts of gameplay from this:

And look like this:

Aw man, that'd be so dope!

OH YES! I loved X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, and Alliance! I've been wanting a new game for so long. I hope they make it great!

MasterSqueak:

SaintWaldo:

I disagree on seven.

I want Battlefront III!

ninja'd on batllefront III, damnit all to hell!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.