World of Warcraft Changed for China

Pages 1 2 NEXT

World of Warcraft Changed for China

The Chinese relaunch of World of Warcraft continues to move ahead but a number of government-mandated changes have left the game looking a little bit different than gamers might remember.

China's always been a bit iffy on World of Warcraft, largely due to the prevalence of skeletal undead in the game. The launch of The Burning Crusade expansion in 2007 attracted unusual levels of government scrutiny and ultimately delayed its debut in China, while Wrath of the Lich King was blocked outright for failing to meet requirements.

Things got even uglier when Blizzard chose not to renew its contract with Chinese operator The9 and opted to go with NetEase instead, which resulted in the game going offline for almost two months. It's back now and should be wrapping up a week long closed beta by the time you read this, but returning players will notice that a few changes have been made to satisfy those government requirements.

First and foremost, reflecting the well-established Chinese dislike of skeletal remains, piles of bones scattered throughout the game have been replaced with piles of sandbags. Blood has also been changed from red to black, prompting at least one Chinese player to joke that it looks like oil, which would make it far too valuable to waste through wanton hacking and slashing. Less visible are the modifications to talent tree icons that featured skulls, severed heads and blood, which have been turned into boxes.

Earlier changes to undead characters, which were "re-fleshed" to hide exposed bone, also remain in place. Yet despite all that, I'd be willing to bet that Chinese gamers - not to mention NetEase and Blizzard - will be too happy to have World of Warcraft back to care very much about the cuts. No word yet on when the game will be fully re-opened to the public.

Source: Gamasutra, MMOsite

I don't get what all the fuss is about. China's culture doesn't like bones, they really don't like it, so they change it.. Big deal? It's almost up again right?

They should've probably just done it so this was an option for the 'faint of heart' or whatever already in my opinion..

That's interesting. Stuff like that would ruin the little atmosphere that the game has, and that's a big deal to me. Good thing I'm an American.

his beard looks different,too.on a side note,I don't play wow,why am I even here?goodbt(walks away)

Were I a Chinese youth, I wouldn't have a problem with these modifications. On the other hand, WOW was never really an explicit game to begin with; why is China's government being such a dilhole? (please don't answer that question.)

Dammit China...you used to be cool...

TheNumber1Zero:
his beard looks different,too.on a side note,I don't play wow,why am I even here?goodbt(walks away)

...That's because he was missing his jaw.

Anyway, that was really fucking pointless of them.

TheNumber1Zero:

That isn't a beard, he has no jaw in the uncensored version.

I don't really care though, I'm not chinese so it won't effect me.

Edit: Ninja'd? Damn you, Max!

Double edit: 999 posts? Oh crap, I have to stop procastinating long enough to write something meaningful now.

TheNumber1Zero:

That's not a beard. In the original WoW that undead doesn't have a lower jaw. It's one of the 'faces' options when you create your character. I assume such a feature was removed in the Chinese version. Forsaken (that is, undead) characters can't have facial hair.

They can get facial studs in an X pattern though

Edit: Double ninja'd? Oo-err.

I wouldn't mind my undead rogue not having his bones exposed, especially his spine.much.

AmrasCalmacil:

TheNumber1Zero:

That isn't a beard, he has no jaw in the uncensored version.

I don't really care though, I'm not chinese so it won't effect me.

Edit: Ninja'd? Damn you, Max!

Max ninjas us all, doesn't he?
I'm not reall sure why these simple, small changes were needed but then again I'm not chinease. They just seem so trivial.

Okay. Doesn't seem that big a deal. Hell, I like China's undead design better. I might even start playing them if they looked like that.

China, you've done it again.

Meh, it doesn't affect gameplay in anyway, so I don't mind it at all.

NeutralDrow:
Okay. Doesn't seem that big a deal. Hell, I like China's undead design better. I might even start playing them if they looked like that.

There is this. A lot of Undead players like the character, but aren't a fan of all their gear (including crafted stuff) looking like it was put through a blender when they put it on.

That can be fixed with a little against-the-ToS model changing though. It's very unlikely you would get caught changing something so trivial. It's only those people who turn mining nodes into Ragnaros to find them easier or remove walls to bypass C'thun trash that get noticed ;p

I wonder if they were allowed the original copy of C&C: Generals. Or if they swapped China with...Burma, instead.

China....what are we going to do with you?

Soooooo......Undead are just hunch-backed blue skinned people now?

Malygris:
Blood has also been changed from red to black, prompting at least one Chinese player to joke that it looks like oil, which would make it far too valuable to waste through wanton hacking and slashing.

Hahahahhaha... oh China...why bother?

The apparent Chinese government ban on display of bones or skeletal remains seems bizarre to me, but then again in the US it is apparently against the law to talk about sex on the radio, which I can't say is any less absurd in terms of censorship.
If it requires a special device which must be turned on (radio, tv, computer, etc) to receive or use the media, then it should not be censored. Don't like what you're hearing/seeing? Turn the sucker off.

None of us who have posted yet are chinese so why are we giving a fuck?

I don't get it. Chinese authorities have no problem with torturing Internet addicts and beating them to death,but they have problems with depictions of skeletons. I'm actually intrested - is there any censorship in their biology schoolbooks?

Deviluk:
I wonder if they were allowed the original copy of C&C: Generals. Or if they swapped China with...Burma, instead.

Nein. C&C: Generals is Banned In China.

Kollega:
I don't get it. Chinese authorities have no problem with torturing Internet addicts and beating them to death,but they have problems with depictions of skeletons. I'm actually intrested - is there any censorship in their biology schoolbooks?

Read the thread. Apparently it's a cultural issue, Chinese people take offense to skeletal remains being strewn about.

HeartAttackBob:
The apparent Chinese government ban on display of bones or skeletal remains seems bizarre to me, but then again in the US it is apparently against the law to talk about sex on the radio, which I can't say is any less absurd in terms of censorship.
If it requires a special device which must be turned on (radio, tv, computer, etc) to receive or use the media, then it should not be censored. Don't like what you're hearing/seeing? Turn the sucker off.

It's pretty obvious that it isn't enforced...Just look at Howard Stern.

OT: China is almost as bad as Germany for banning all violent games against people.

Radeonx:
That's interesting. Stuff like that would ruin the little atmosphere that the game has, and that's a big deal to me. Good thing I'm an American.

So how would it "ruin" that atmosphere that the Scourge has some actual supplies lying around instead of a bazillion unassembled/broken foot soldiers as if their entire necromancy division was on a holiday?

For those of you who don't know, the government's objection to the depiction of bones and skeletons is simply them maintaining a cultural remnant from Confucianism, which specifies ancestor worship; as such worship would usually entail bones, I can see why they wouldn't want this. It is admittedly a tad pedantic, but I'm not one to judge.

i never found wow to be violent, and making the "blood" a different colour doesn't seem to make it any less violent, your still hitting things until their body fluids start pouring out of them.

and about the re skinning ; hows the new mount going to look? and i dont think i would mind that much if my priests spine would no longer stick out of his robe.

Well, that's certainly weird. It's a good thing they have WoW back, but the changes are a bit odd, even considering their culture's view on the dead. I just hope the benefits outweigh the downsides in the end.

Looks like China is trying to take Japan's place as the weirdest country ever.

Amnestic:

NeutralDrow:

There is this. A lot of Undead players like the character, but aren't a fan of all their gear (including crafted stuff) looking like it was put through a blender when they put it on.

That can be fixed with a little against-the-ToS model changing though. It's very unlikely you would get caught changing something so trivial. It's only those people who turn mining nodes into Ragnaros to find them easier or remove walls to bypass C'thun trash that get noticed ;p

I had mine turn into Sheep, sheep turned into generic tauren, god I miss messing with my friends.

"are....are you mining a sheep?" 'yea......'

Deviluk:

They didn't get it at all, it was banned. Something about showing China in a bad light. I think nit was banned in Germany as well for glorifying war, altough don't quote me on that.

Asehujiko:

Radeonx:

So how would it "ruin" that atmosphere that the Scourge has some actual supplies lying around instead of a bazillion unassembled/broken foot soldiers as if their entire necromancy division was on a holiday?

I was talking about the actual bodies. The fleshless parts always added atmosphere for me.

Possibly the most retarded thing I've ever seen.

Destal:

HeartAttackBob:

It's pretty obvious that it isn't enforced...Just look at Howard Stern.

OT: China is almost as bad as Germany for banning all violent games against people.

That's a good one! Ha! You almost had me there.
For a second, I thought you were being serious and didn't know that Howard Stern & the broadcast companies he worked for were fined hundreds of thousands of dollars by the FCC for particular "indecent" parts of his shows.
But of course, you must know that because I linked directly to it, and are just pulling my leg.

When you die in chinese wow, theres no corpse but a gravestone, i dont know what the fuss is all about,but you know communists,they think west is the devil,least chinamen can do some gaming hehe

HeartAttackBob:
The apparent Chinese government ban on display of bones or skeletal remains seems bizarre to me

Kollega:

The Chinese government is communist and thus avowedly Atheist. Chinese religion centers around the veneration of the ancestors, who act as intermediaries between the spiritual realm and the temporal realm. Because Communist doctrine teaches that "religion is the opiate of the masses" it is thus considered dangerous to the government to allow religious symbols (in this case, bones which represent the ancestors) to remind people of faith, less they fall victim to this opiate. It's sort of a public safety initiative, that also has the added effect of minimizing any influence religion might play in creating opposition to China's government. It's an extremely nuanced argument, but it's also extremely common in Chinese government censorship.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here