Sega Not Celebrating Dreamcast's 10th Birthday on 9/9/09

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sega Not Celebrating Dreamcast's 10th Birthday on 9/9/09

Don't get your hopes up for a Dreamcast 2 announcement next month, Sega fans. The company has stated that it won't be publicly commemorating the 10th anniversary of its last console in any way.

For years Sega faithful having been waiting for 9/9/09 with more anticipation than apocalypse nuts for 2012. You see, on September 9, 1999, Sega released the Dreamcast, its final (and perhaps finest) console. It would stand to reason (insane fanboy reason, I mean), then, that the company would set the date for its triumphant return to the console space, the Dreamcast 2, for ten years later: 9/9/09.

Sorry to dash your hopes, Dreamcast 2 faithful, but unless Sega is pulling something genuinely crazy, it's not going to happen. You know that already, deep in your hearts, like you know there's no Santa Claus. But not only are Sega refraining from releasing a Dreamcast 2, they're refraining from commemorating the anniversary in any way, shape or form.

"Generally we won't be doing anything that's official," Sega's Mike Hayes told Kotaku. "The main reason is that Sega has reinvented itself as a software company. And it's important for us to focus on the other platforms that are alive and current."

While there won't be any official celebrations at Sega HQ, there might be some unofficial partying going on. "Informally, because there are people in the company who were involved in the Dreamcast launch, there will be celebrations," Hayes said. "But as a company, publicly, that's going to be something we're going to be pretty low key about for obvious reasons. We're effectively a different company."

That's a damn shame, but understandable. And it's not like Sega's abandoning the Dreamcast altogether. In fact, it seems that there might be a future for Dreamcast games, even if there isn't one for Dreamcast hardware. "But we are very keen to bring [Dreamcast games] to players in the way we've done with Genesis games," Hayes said. "We want to do it, but it's hard work to get there. Hopefully we can build on that quite soon."

So on 9/9/09, whip up a Dreamcast cake, pull out your "I Have a Dreamcast" jpegs, and play some Space Channel 5. If Sega won't remember the Dreamcast in style, we will.

Ha. I was born on September 9th.
I want to make a dreamcast cake now.

Well why would they? That date is the beginning of the end for Sega as a console contendor. Its like celebrating the best day of work you had right before you got fired. They should, for their sake, move on and just stick to the development part.

I can live with this, what I want is for Capcom and Konami to merge and put out a console.

Jeez and the dreamcast was the only thing I liked about sega, VMU IS THE BEST IDEA EVER.

xmetatr0nx:
Well why would they? That date is the beginning of the end for Sega as a console contendor. Its like celebrating the best day of work you had right before you got fired. They should, for their sake, move on and just stick to the development part.

This is a common mistake some gamers like to make, mostly younger ones. I'm not assuming you're young but whatever. Dreamcast was not the beginning of the end for Sega's console side, that would be the 32X and arguably the Sega CD. The Dreamcast was actually Sega's ace in the hole. Sega finally got things right (at least 90% right) but it was just too little to late.

I was the very first person to Buy a Dreamcast at Ames in my neighborhood. No line, they hadn't even put out any on the floor. My very first job was at that very Ames and I got it so I could buy that Dreamcast.
It will always hold a place in my heart and be the first time my heart was broken by Sega.

You know that already, deep in your hearts, like you know there's no Santa Claus.

WHAT?!?! There is no Santa Claus?

Ghost8585:

xmetatr0nx:

This is a common mistake some gamers like to make, mostly younger ones. I'm not assuming you're young but whatever. Dreamcast was not the beginning of the end for Sega's console side, that would be the 32X and arguably the Sega CD. The Dreamcast was actually Sega's ace in the hole. Sega finally got things right (at least 90% right) but it was just too little to late.

Alright, well whatever. Point is there hasnt been much incentive for Sega to celebrate much of anything since 1999.

Arehexes:
Jeez and the dreamcast was the only thing I liked about sega, VMU IS THE BEST IDEA EVER.

Battery died too quick though.

Hooray for them? It might have been a good console and all, with some original ideas or what not, but not all original ideas are good ones. It was basically Sega's last ditch effort to stay afloat, but the competetion was far too stong for it to even have a hope. The last generation was really all about the Xbox and the PS2, with the Gamecube catching up in the later years. Dreamcast never really was a contender in that run, no matter how much it wanted to be. It just couldn't cope with what the others could offer. Them not celebrating it is perfectly understandable.

It's sad that the best feature of the Dreamcast, the Visual Memory Unit, for all its innovation, has yet to be imitated by anyone. Seriously, Nintendo comes out with the Rumble Pak and it's answered by Sony with Dual Shock; Nintendo gave the Wii motion controls, Sony gives the PS3 Sixaxis; then there's the EyeToy... The list goes on. But with the possible exception of the PocketStation, the VMU stands alone.

Side Note: Typing of the Dead rocked

Keane Ng:

That's a damn shame, but understandable. And it's not like Sega's abandoning the Dreamcast altogether. In fact, it seems that there might be a future for Dreamcast games, even if there isn't one for Dreamcast hardware.

What? They make Dreamcast games still? Why?

Wait, there is no Santa?!? My parents leid to me all these years?

*Weeps*

OT: Meh, I'll keep playing the Pc for now then.

Ah man, and the Dreamcast had some truly awesome games for it. Shenmue was a fantastic piece of work.

Lies. LIES ALL OF IT!

You'll see, they'll bring it out, and it'll be twice as powerful as a PS3! And it will support 12 player local play! And....and...

hansari:

Keane Ng:

That's a damn shame, but understandable. And it's not like Sega's abandoning the Dreamcast altogether. In fact, it seems that there might be a future for Dreamcast games, even if there isn't one for Dreamcast hardware.

in Japan they still made dreamcast games 2 years i think after production had stopped.

hansari:

Keane Ng:

There are still DC games being produced out there, but what Sega was specifically referring to was the possibility of re-releasing old DC software, you know, on Virtual Console and the like.

This isn't meant to spark some flaming, but which games were good and exclusive for the Dreamcast? I've been thinking about getting an eBay one, but except for Shenmue 1 there's no game I'd really want.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's possible to get every successful Dreamcast game except for the above mentioned and Power Stone for a different console.

Xerosch:
This isn't meant to spark some flaming, but which games were good and exclusive for the Dreamcast? I've been thinking about getting an eBay one, but except for Shenmue 1 there's no game I'd really want.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I own Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue 2, the Street Fighter/Mavel vs Capcom games, Code Veronica, Sonic Adventure and both Space Channel 5 games for a different console, what else do I need?

Power Stone 1 and 2?, Grandia 2 was best on dreamcast, umm anyone?

Rigs83:

Arehexes:

Battery died too quick though.

This is actually very easy to fix. I've done this on 2 VMU's :). At the time I used a $10 batt pack from Radio Shack, IIRC. The reason the batteries die out so quick is because someone at Sega decided it would be a brilliant idea for the things to draw power even when in standby. Get a battery pack with a switch though, and this is easily alleviated.

Also, big F-YOU to Sega. The Dreamcast deserves every iota of praise it ever got, and should have at least a little fanfare for it's big 1-0.

Oh, and although I would never buy another Sega console (my 13* year old heart was broken!), I do own PowerStone Collection and Crazy Taxi 1/2 for my PSP. BRING ME SKIES OF ARCADIA FOR THE PSP! Hell, just port the whole library, I'd probably be a big enough sucker to buy it all again...

EDIT:
Oh, and thank you for using the "I have a Dreamcast" image! Man that takes me back!

elitepie931:

My wife is making an N64 cake for my thirtieth at the end of the month. It's gonna have a cake controller and a cake Goldeneye cartridge in it.

Pretty excited about that.

MrGFunk:

elitepie931:

My wife is making an N64 cake for my thirtieth at the end of the month. It's gonna have a cake controller and a cake Goldeneye cartridge in it.

Pretty excited about that.

Your wifes new name is now...
Awesome wife.

ChromeAlchemist:
Lies. LIES ALL OF IT!

You'll see, they'll bring it out, and it'll be twice as powerful as a PS3! And it will support 12 player local play! And....and...

I can't stand to see a grown man-child cry. Here, have some Dreamcast cake.

A brilliant console. So many memories.

Happy birthday! *Salutes

I would love for a few more Dream Cast re-releases, like Ikaruga, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Samba de Amigo were.

thatstheguy:
-snip-

WOO! DREAMCAKE! It tastes so sweet. And yet, so bitter...

Ghost8585:

xmetatr0nx:

Let's not forget their costly mistake with the Saturn, the KO blow. Difficult-to-program-for hardware against the simpler PS1 architecture and look how that turned out.

I'm kinda proud to say that my Dreamcast is still sitting on a shelf under one of my TVs, it still works even if it does sound like a power-drill when loading up (although it always did, it's not a new development). I'll have to remember to load up some Sonic Adventure.

The big one-up that Dreamcast always had over me was it was the first console where the preview material I saw showed the ACTUAL game quality instead of pre-rendered crap that made you question why you bought the game it vaguely resembled.

PsiMatrix:

Ghost8585:

xmetatr0nx:

Let's not forget their costly mistake with the Saturn, the KO blow. Difficult-to-program-for hardware against the simpler PS1 architecture and look how that turned out.

I'm kinda proud to say that my Dreamcast is still sitting on a shelf under one of my TVs, it still works even if it does sound like a power-drill when loading up (although it always did, it's not a new development). I'll have to remember to load up some Sonic Adventure.

The big one-up that Dreamcast always had over me was it was the first console where the preview material I saw showed the ACTUAL game quality instead of pre-rendered crap that made you question why you bought the game it vaguely resembled.

I actually have my Dreamcast in my dad's basement somewhere. I'll probably dig it out next time I visit home. It is kinda sad the Sega is not going to even recognise the console though.

But if anyone thinks that Sega is going to release another console, you have to understand business. A big league investment like a console requires the consumer to have confidence that the console maker will support it for the standard 4 to 6 years. Unfortunately Sega doesn't have that, at all. If the consumer doesn't have that confidence, they wont buy. No sales, means massive investment money wasted, which in turn means the company looks bad, in turn losing more investors, and leads to hate, hate lead to suffering, suffering leads to ect, ect.

Keane Ng:
"We're effectively a different company."

Yeah; a different, more shit, company.

Oh Sega, once the love of my life, how you have lost your way.

My favorite console. One of the greatest shames of the gaming industry that this console didn't flourish.

i loved sega too bad they have fallen so far that they will never make another console

it was the first online console. i had a DC sonic games ftw

Looks like I might have to dust off my Dreamcast and play some Bangai-o. Treasure's best game.

Monshroud:

You know that already, deep in your hearts, like you know there's no Santa Claus.

WHAT?!?! There is no Santa Claus?

Worst day ever. No Dreamcast 2, no cookies, no cake, no presents, and now no Santa Claus.

Edit: Wait there was cake, a grand cake at that. Third worst day ever.

Sega can stick to games, companies come and go, change tactics- the usual stuff. I fail to see how this really matters, I think more consoles would just muck up the waters that much more.

I'm quite disappointed but I have to say that's a wise decision for a big and influential company like Sega to make.

I found OP's image quite funny and clever.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here