Wolverine Sequel Gets New Writer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wolverine Sequel Gets New Writer

David Benioff and Skip Woods, the duo that penned X-Men Origins: Wolverine will not be returning for the sequel.

The sequel to hit movies X-Men Origins: Wolverine will be written by Academy Award winning screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie. McQuarrie, who won an Oscar for 'The Usual Suspects' in 1996, contributed to the script for the original X-Men movie in 2000, but later removed his name from the credits after the final script turned out to be much more like David Hayter's version.

The sequel will loosely follow the 1980s storyline created by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller that charted Wolverine's travels in Japan and his battles with ninjas. What's even more interesting about this though, is McQuarrie's long association with Bryan Singer, who directed the first two - and best - X-men movies. It could just be coincidence, but seeing the director return to the franchise would be welcomed by most fans.

Source: Film Junk

w00ters! Just... yay :D

Wow, I never thought I'd be excited for the sequel to a crappy spin-off but this news comes close!

Thanks for brightening my lunch break Nilcypher.

EDIT: Is it not coincidence then that the re-imagined Wolverine cartoons will be showing him as a samurai-esque character, or is it intended to tie-in with this new movie?

I'm a little tired of Wolverine.

A sequel to an origins film which was the prequel to a trilogy mainly concerning one character whose backstory in the origin was butchered in favor of someone else's idea? This cannot end well, no matter who's behind the wheel.

I was one of the few who actually enjoyed Wolverine over X-Men 3. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing the Japan story play out. And I have high hopes for the Deadpool movie. He was the best part of the first Wolverine.

scnj:
I was one of the few who actually enjoyed Wolverine over X-Men 3. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing the Japan story play out. And I have high hopes for the Deadpool movie. He was the best part of the first Wolverine.

I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE liked Wolverine more than X-Men 3 because X-Men 3 was total shit. At least Wolverine had some good over-the-top action scenes.

Still, I was more hoping for more Origins Movies around the other characters, not just more Wolverine. :/

Of all the arcs they had to follow, it had to be Wolverine's Wapanese phase.

And we needed a sequal to this movie why?

I was hoping for people other than Hugh Jackman!

Night Crawler's story (as implied by the films) sounded quite interesting, or to put it another way "one for every sin, there's quite a few,"

Or how about Captain Pickard and Gandalf themselves? They have better backstories than any of the other characters.
Either way, hooray for getting decent writers this time! Does this mean studios are finally realising successful movies need good writers?

As long as the deadpool movie is good im sweeet!

WhiteTigerShiro:

scnj:

I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE liked Wolverine more than X-Men 3 because X-Men 3 was total shit. At least Wolverine had some good over-the-top action scenes.

Still, I was more hoping for more Origins Movies around the other characters, not just more Wolverine. :/

There will be a Magneto Origins, based during WWII.

Actual:
EDIT: Is it not coincidence then that the re-imagined Wolverine cartoons will be showing him as a samurai-esque character, or is it intended to tie-in with this new movie?

Wolverine as a failed samurai is dates back to the early 80s, which was the core concept of his first mini-series (by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller). I don't know if it's a coincidence, but they both draw on existing material.

A Wolvie sequel i'm interested but i reserve my judgement till i see them. Now as for other origin like movies...Deadpool yay, Magneto wait an see, Nightcrawler definitely, Now if Gambit has one that would be AWESOME since he's my favorite mutant of the seires

Casual Shinji:

I get the feeling they are trying to do to Wolverine what they did with Batman....unfortunately, I'm with you. I'm tired of seeing Wolverine now. And just think how blasphemous that statement is...

SnootyEnglishman:
Now if Gambit has one that would be AWESOME since he's my favorite mutant of the seires

I second that...I don't even need a separate movie, just need more Gambit/Deadpool cameos...

coxafloppin:
As long as the deadpool movie is good im sweeet!

nope he won't be, Deadpool wasn't even in the Marvel Universe at that point

i'd love them to do the Joe Fixit storyline when the Hulk shows up and after teaming up a bit they slug it out

Macar:

All comic book movies have sequels, because money is the root of all entertainment. Or is it evil?

alright

This going to be a good movie.

I love David Hayter

Now change the term sequel into reboot and I will be happy.

It should be an improvement at least.
Was this around the time Wolverine did a crossover with Electra?

Casual Shinji:

THis^
less wolverine more Iron man

Isnt there suppose to be Origins-Magneto?

All I am asking for is the return of this writing team for X-Men 4 when they face off with Apocalypse and we have Gambit, Nightcrawler, X, Cyclops, Liev Schreiber's Sabretooth (because X-Men's was just a cheap impersonator made by the Weapon-X program), and Jean Grey back. I don't need any more origins stories, I want Apocalypse.

Is it really too much to ask? Honestly? Don't they owe us after X3?

It's about time I hear some good news today.

I haven't seen Wolverine, which says something, but if it is being written by the Usual Suspects guy: HOORAY! I love that movie.

Step 1: Getting a good writer. [Check]
Step 2: Upgrading from PG-13 to R [_____]
Step 3: Giving the film rights back to Marvel [_____]

Macar:

the first two - and best - X-men movies.

Yeah but its still kind of relative. Sure they may have been the best of the series but they still sucked. So they got silver instead of bronze in the special olympics.
Call me when Zack Snyder takes over or when Sam Raimi rediscovers his testicles and tries to make a good movie again.

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!! Do not want. The "first" one was bad enough!

Casual Shinji:

Yeah.

I liked him in Marvel Vs. Capcom 2...but its been downhill since that.

JWAN:

Casual Shinji:

THis^
less wolverine more Iron man

The dude who plays Iron Man has that part down to a science. I was really impressed.

Call me crazy, but my understanding of this whole "X-Men Origins" series was to do a film on each of the X-Men, not a dozen more films on Hugh Jackman.

Khell_Sennet:
Call me crazy, but my understanding of this whole "X-Men Origins" series was to do a film on each of the X-Men, not a dozen more films on Hugh Jackman.

Well to be fair it's a Sequel to a Prequel to a Series of Movies about a group of guys who are all getting there on Prequels which will more than likely get Sequels as well.

And the only reason the film was called X-Men Origins: Wolverine is because Fox has to make an X-Men film ever 2-3 years or so or they lose the film rights (What a Crime...) It was just supposed to be Wolverine guest staring Gambit and Deadpool to see if those two would fly in there own solo movies.

As long as Ryan Reynolds doesn't become the main antagonist...

Zukonub:

Macar:

snip

Well said. Even if it's a sequel, I'm somehow looking forward to it. I like Wolverine more than Iron Man and I guess that's because I had better first impression on the Wolverine comics I read.

This is awesome the film was ok but let most characters out, Gambit was in it for small time and making deadpool a mouthless drone was horrifying as he should be the merc with the mouth. Hopefully the second one will be better as it contains the best writer and director that made the first two x men films which were brill.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here