Pokemon Gold & Silver Remakes Hit America In 2010

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pokemon Gold & Silver Remakes Hit America In 2010

Pokemon SoulSilver and HeartGold may be coming out in Japan next month, but would-be trainers in North America and Europe will have to wait until spring 2010 to catch 'em all (again).

CVG was apparently at the Pokemon Center in Osaka, Japan last week (presumably to get their Pokemon healed up to full health), and reports that while Nintendo will be releasing the remakes of Pokemon Gold & Silver in Japan next month - September 19th, to be precise - gamers in everywhere-that-isn't-Japan will have to wait quite a bit longer: SoulSilver and HeartGold won't be coming to North America or Europe until Spring 2010.

Spring 2010, eh? So, that's March at the earliest, May at the latest, which seems a bit puzzling to me. Surely translating a Pokemon game - much less a remake - into English can't take six months, can it? "Meganium used Razor Leaf - it's super effective!" seems pretty straightforward to me.

While most console games seem to be avoiding the holiday season this year (and hilariously overcrowding Spring 2010), you'd think that Pokemon of all series would be immune to the Modern Warfare 2 juggernaut. More than that, it's the perfect game for a stressed-out parent to get their kid for the holidays. Why miss out on the lucrative holiday season, Nintendo?

Ah well. To many Pokemon trainers, Gold and Silver are the most beloved games in the franchise, introducing concepts like breeding your Pokemon, day and night cycles, and giving the player not just one, but two entire regions to explore: After completing the Johto Pokemon League, you can go back and traverse the Kanto region from Pokemon Red & Blue. It also raised the amount of 'Mons in the game from 151 to 251.

Then, of course, you have the disgruntled "purists" who refuse to enjoy any Pokemon but the original 151 because they're grumpy like that. But hey, their loss.

YAAAAA!!!! Gold was my fave RPG of all time and my first game.

Woot, I can now get another Tyranitar for my collection. I'm sure the release isn't because of translation or the market or anything like that, they just want to be dicks about it to people who don't speak Japanese.

By spring, I might have money to spend on this game. Besides, I don't mind waiting. It just means that the remakes should be fully polished by the time of their release.

And nuts to the purists. Sure, you get about a hundred filler Pokemon with the addition of the fourth gen (Bidoof...), but they also miss out on the more unique gems from later generations. Like Skarmory, Gardevoir, and Lucario.

Yaaaaay! Despite the fact i've known this for ages it still makes me happy to hear it every time.

I've known this, but still, YAAAAAY!

Now I can finally get a Tyranitar without having to buy a router and trade over wi-fi. I'm cheap.

Oh yeah, and I guess the game will be great too. Seeing as I played the original for most of my 8th year of life.

Is it weird that I'm looking forward to this almost as much as The Old Republic?

N... naah... that's not weird...

I thought every Pokemon game was a remake of the last... cause, you know...you do the same thing.

(start with one pokemon, then fight gym trainers, collect all pokemon)

Good... my gameboy color pokemon silver crapped out on me. And that was the only reason I kept the ole color.

I've never wanted a game more.

Gold was the first real game I ever owned.

I don't even own a ds, I just have to have this.

My DS thanks you for having a reason to exist, Nintendo.

*ahem*,
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

finaly! those were the best in the series IMHO.

I can never understand why it takes so long to get a Japanese game over here, in the West, these days there shouldn't be more than a few months extra to wait but even the biggest companies like Nintendo and Square Enix often take up to a year extra, there's no good reason for it.

I'm just glad to finally know the American release, regardless of how far away it is. Gold and Silver were monumental stepping stones in the Pokemon series, and while I cannot condone the act of remaking, Gold and Silver were two games that would surely deserve the improved graphics and ideas.

hansari:
I thought every Pokemon game was a remake of the last... cause, you know...you do the same thing.

(start with one pokemon, then fight gym trainers, collect all pokemon)

Kind of like an FPS. Or and RPG. Or an RTS. Or (I'm sure you get the point, I'm just teasing though)

CantFaketheFunk:

Then, of course, you have the disgruntled "purists" who refuse to enjoy any Pokemon but the original 151 because they're grumpy like that. But hey, their loss.

Oh come now, Mr Funk. Everyone knows that everything after Gold and Silver was blasphemy.

I won't be buying this though, my friend has challenged me on both RBY and GSC, and he needs to be put in his place. He's a cheap bastard though, so I need to make sure I have my super team ready.

Only after Silver and Gold did the milking properly start, they didn't add anything properly significant, even sacrificing my beloved Flygon would be worth it for them to have not released anymore until this one then nobody would complain about all this.

Phenakist:
Only after Silver and Gold did the milking properly start, they didn't add anything properly significant, even sacrificing my beloved Flygon would be worth it for them to have not released anymore until this one then nobody would complain about all this.

NOOOOOO. Nothing is worth sacrificing Flygon. [/kidding]

OT: I don't have a DS so all of this is meh to me.

god, milk it some moar?

its bad enough they release 2 games at once and people buy both, but all these remakes of multiple realeased titles is silly...

CantFaketheFunk:

Yo.

After Mew, you've totally lost me.

I'll stick with my FireRed and LeafGreen, thank you - the only worthwhile Pokemon remakes.

>__>

<__<

I'm looking forward to this, especially if it comes with the pedometer you can use to train your pokemon. That would help me lose weight, for sure.

I've had enough rereleases for one life, thank you.

Any word on the PAL region? Pokémon has always been my cure to summer boredom, I'm just hoping this one will come out in time. Kind of worried actually, Nintendo usually take their sweeeet time in releasing games over here. Anybody knows if DS games are region free?

Angron:
god, milk it some moar?

its bad enough they release 2 games at once and people buy both, but all these remakes of multiple realeased titles is silly...

Some people, like myself, like the idea of old games that you can play on your DS with new graphics and fresh mechanics.

I WANT IT NOW!

I'll wait for a remake of Crystal, thank you. I preferred Suicune and the Unown-heavy story over Ho-Oh and Lugia.

I can't wait silver was the first game I got for my brand new game boy colour.
But I lost it many years ago sadly. So yeah I'm gonna get a ds just for this game.

Littaly:
Any word on the PAL region? Pokémon has always been my cure to summer boredom, I'm just hoping this one will come out in time. Kind of worried actually, Nintendo usually take their sweeeet time in releasing games over here. Anybody knows if DS games are region free?

You guys should be getting it in the year 20XX, just a little while after Megaman finishes dealing with doctor Wiley.

I mainly looking forward to this for tradinf urposes, because it's nearly immpossible to get someone to trade you one of the Jhoto starters or legendaries. I'm also glad that they're keeping the Kanto region in the remake.

You have to give it to Nintendo, they know how to exploit their fanbase. I nearly squealed in glee when this was announced originally.

Hell yes.
I loved playing Silver as a kid. I hope that they're going to also remake Pokemon Crystal. Now that was an awesome game.

Littaly:

Yes, DS games are region free.

Thank heavens I can speak Japanese. :D

Awesome because I never played gold and silver and skipped straight to R/S

jamesworkshop:

I'm sorry. :D

Nah R/S were good, I played those quite a bit. I didn't play anything as much as G/S.

jamesworkshop:

You are truly in for a treat friend. GSC is STILL the most fun you can have playing Pokemon. I really enjoyed RSE but completely bypassed DPPt (played for about 10 minutes and I was done). I can't wait to see this update on a true classic. Let's hope any extras are better than those added to FRLG.

On a related note, when is Nintendo going to go outside the original formula and give us a chance (no matter how small) to catch starter pokemon? I mean, Professor *insert name here* has to get them from somewhere.

Enjoy it, it had one of the most bad-ass starting Pokemon evolutions since Charizard:

DON'T BUY THIS. We need to send a message to Nintendo that they can't just put a new coat of paint on a Pinto and claim it's a Mazda 3 (I don't know much about cars, other than the Pinto and the one I own).

Hey, maybe they'll remake r/s next huh? Oh I will so buy that.
/sarcasm
But really, this is getting a bit tired now. Though now it really is plausible to catch 'em all until the next games on a new platform comes out, denies all logic and prevents trading to any of these older games, so they'll make console games where you can catch the older pokemon, and spend more money to do so. Is this sounding familiar? Oh yes, this is what happened the last time! They disabled trade with the gb/gbc games, then made the gamecube games to fill the void from 152 to 251, and even then you need to go to the US for Special events. Then trade will disappear from gba games and they'll remake ruby and sapphire, sucessfully destroying the purpose of the console games were you caught the older pokemon! Really, the reason I became a semi-purist is because this series is a trap. Even then, I'll buy Soul Silver, play it with my original silver party, then never go near competitive battling, or trading ever again. (This is more of a rant about pokemon as a series than these remakes though) I will never fall into the trap again. Yes, I know you don't have to catch 'em all, but still without the extra yearn, these games are too similar and pointless, at least after the original Johto. That was just my opinion though and you need not bother yourself with it. That was pretty long.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here