Alan Wake is "Done"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Alan Wake is "Done"

After years of waiting, Remedy has finally put out the word: Alan Wake is "done." But it's not quite ready.

We've been waiting for this for a long time. Since mid-2005, in fact, two years after the release of Remedy's last game, Max Payne 2, and for most of the years that followed very little was heard about it. It actually hasn't been all that ridiculously long a wait but people nonetheless began to wonder: Is Alan Wake the new Duke Nukem?

The answer is a resounding "No!" Speaking at a presentation at GDC Europe, Remedy Managing Director Matias Myllyrinne was very direct in his assessment. "It's all done," he said. "We're just polishing at this point."

As proof that this bun is really in the oven, a new trailer narrated by Remedy writer Sam Lake has been posted on Eurogamer.fr, featuring background, gameplay video and a look at the nightmare bestselling author Alan Wake is trapped in as he searches for his missing wife and the lost pages of a manuscript he can't remember writing - and that's coming terrifyingly true.

So it's "done," but not done. Finished, but not ready. Completed, but not concluded. Got it? The relevant point is this: If the spring 2010 release date holds, Remedy will have more than enough time to polish this thing to perfection. Now if they could just polish us up a PC version, all would be well.

I can't recall ever hearing of "Alan Wake" before now, and from the trailer I can't see much reason to be worried about whether and when it comes out or not. Just what the world needs... another shooter with a lame story. Shouldn't Steven King be getting royalties for its premise? It looks like they are trying to capture American pop culture and failing.

Duke Nukem RIP.

Huh...I must admit, I am a bit interested.

It looks like it has the potential to be fun, at least.
Too bad about that PC version, though.

Wow. Looks like a solid story. Good voice acting? Nice graphics? Clean looking UI with cutscenes to tell the story and keep you interested? How am I supposed to play this AND heavy rain at the same time?
Color me impressed.

Looks... interesting.

I have yet to purchase an XB360, maybe I'll snag this too..
I do like the light idea, but is there anything on say what if your batteries in the flashlight run out?

I don't know if it's just me but it gives off a 'Silent Hill' type of vibe.
Looking forward to this one though.

I have to say, when I first heard about this game, I was pretty excited. But now whenever I see it I just give a big "Meh".

Wait...It's not on PC? Goddamit Microsoft!

RAWKSTAR:

Sort of, I would say more of a Silent Hill: Homecoming vibe mixed with The Room.
Maybe it's because the main character looks similar to...

The longer they wait, the less hype there will be upon the release.
Still, it's nice that they're taking time to polish the game up, so to speak. I won't mind the extra wait if it means a higher quality product.

I'd like to play this game, but it really comes down to this:

If it comes to PC, I'm buying it. If not, then not. Simple as that.

Fanusc101:
I have to say, when I first heard about this game, I was pretty excited. But now whenever I see it I just give a big "Meh".

Really? I am the opposite, that trailer made me really excited, looked tense, can't wait to see how it plays out.

Can't wait for this. Easily my most anticipated game right now.

Looks pretty good I just hope it doesn`t turn into Alone in the Dark.

When I first heard of this game I was very intrigued. After watching the trailer, I'm even more happy to see it actually is coming out. Even though it's coming out for XBox and I only have a PS3, I'm still excited for it, and for XBox'ers. Oh well, Heavy Rain can fill the void.

Good. Now go on and polish the PC port, you Microsoft-cock-sucking fucks.

Can't say I really ever payed too much attention to this game before, even though I knew it was coming about. That trailer totally put it back on my radar.

Fearzone:
I can't recall ever hearing of "Alan Wake" before now, and from the trailer I can't see much reason to be worried about whether and when it comes out or not. Just what the world needs... another shooter with a lame story. Shouldn't Steven King be getting royalties for its premise? It looks like they are trying to capture American pop culture and failing.

Duke Nukem RIP.

You didn't really pay much attention to the video did you?

RAWKSTAR:

Yeah, thats sort of why I'm in two minds about buying it - me and horror games are not friends. That said, it does look like an excellent game.

Fearzone:
[quote="Fearzone" post="7.131578.2913862"]
Duke Nukem RIP.

NO IT IS NOT TARGIC!

Fine, perhaps I spoke hastily, maybe it will be great. But if so, I say just give us a great game instead of telling us that sometime down the road you'll be giving us a great game. I look forward to reading reviews and evaluating it as a possible purchase WHEN it does come.

Fearzone:

Fine, perhaps I spoke hastily, maybe it will be great. But if so, I say just give us a great game instead of telling us that sometime down the road you'll be giving us a great game. I look forward to reading reviews and evaluating it as a possible purchase WHEN it does come.

Isn't that what every single game company does? Tells the public that they're going to be delivering a great game sometime in the future? A game company is allowed to hype its game. In fact, I can't think of many big name companies that DON'T hype their games. Stop trying to find things to be hostile towards.

It looks suspiciously like Alone in the Dark, which turns me off.

i don't really find these... 'interactive movie' games very fun. i guess i'm just afraid of not having very much control over the game.

Danman1:

Fearzone:
[quote="Fearzone" post="7.131578.2913862"]
Duke Nukem RIP.

NO IT IS NOT TARGIC!

¬______¬ Well arn't you the smart one. (Extremely heavy sarcasm)

I encourage everybody to go out and buy this game.

This trailer has inspired renewed interest in me. I was getting disillusioned from the E3 presentation, but this seems much better.

Reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever. A bit generic for my tastes.

I would honestly buy a 360 just to play this game. I think I jizzed my pants while watching this...
No, I didn't, but it still looks amazing. I really like plot-driven games.

It looks great, has an interesting premise, and is supposedly open-world, but I'm worried that it could turn into an ordinary shooter if you're always given a flashlight, unless said flashlight is not overly powerful against enemies.

Isn't that what every single game company does? Tells the public that they're going to be delivering a great game sometime in the future? A game company is allowed to hype its game. In fact, I can't think of many big name companies that DON'T hype their games. Stop trying to find things to be hostile towards.

Just trying to throw out an olive branch there. From the video I still think the story looks totally hackneyed and a Steven King rip off and probably a bad one at that. The light dynamic might be interesting, but otherwise I see another boring rail shooter and why don't they just release if it is done rather than saying it is done.

There is hype, and then there is saying "oh we're done... but we aren't yet finished... but it will be good... trust us." There is one review of this that I'm looking foward to and that's Yahtzees.

NoMoreSanity:
It looks suspiciously like Alone in the Dark, which turns me off.

Don't judge it by Alone in the Dark; Atari are stupid - so stupid, in fact, they thought alone in the dark was good enough to sell.

The folks developing this aren't Atari. Therefore, it may still end up a pile of dogcrap, but it at least has the opportunity to be excellent.

Fearzone:
... but otherwise I see another boring rail shooter ....

How do you get that? If anything, it looks more like GTA in gameplay, not House of the Dead or any of those godawful arcade rail shooters.

Pendragon9:

I literally have no idea how you managed to compare the gameplay of Duke Nukem forever to the gameplay we just saw of Alan Wake.

You could have at least said "it reminds me a bit of silent hill" or "it reminds me of alone in the dark"

but the DUKE!?

Comparing an intentionally cheesy shooter to a drenched-in-thriller-tropes "psychological action thriller" is just weird.

In fact, I think you've literally made my brain explode, how I'm still alive to be able to hit send is beyond me.

I've been excited about this game for years! I'm still waiting with arms wide open, 2010 is going to be a good year for gamers.

Amarok:

Pendragon9:

I literally have no idea how you managed to compare the gameplay of Duke Nukem forever to the gameplay we just saw of Alan Wake.

You could have at least said "it reminds me a bit of silent hill" or "it reminds me of alone in the dark"

but the DUKE!?

Comparing an intentionally cheesy shooter to a drenched-in-thriller-tropes "psychological action thriller" is just weird.

In fact, I think you've literally made my brain explode, how I'm still alive to be able to hit send is beyond me.

i was more referring to the hype thegameplay made. i'm willing to give the game a chance if the fanboys dont ruin it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.